PDA

View Full Version : Virus maybe? Scrolling is messed up

BIG RED
08-18-2008, 04:38 AM
Saturday I turned on my computer and got this..

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/7759/picgq4.png

it also pops up a controller icon in bottom tray. All I have done is hit cancel, and it keeps coming back when I boot up. I didn't try to install anything. Did two scans and it wasn't found (virus?)
When I scroll down, it is really funky. It seems to hesitate big time, and is very aggravating. Computer also seems a little slower, so something bad is going on. I wasn't on at all yesterday, and don't want to go to certain places today, til I figure this out.
Any suggestions on how to find this problem? Doing one more scan right now as I type.

gillenr
08-18-2008, 09:20 AM
Did you try System Restore back to before you got this?

098poi
08-18-2008, 09:30 AM
You can check device manager, (in XP) rt click on MyComputer/left click Properties/left click Hardware tab/left click Device Manager. See if there is any hardware you don't recognize or any !! or ?? next to something that was installed previously. You can probably safely click on the "not this time button" and click next and see what hardware it has found, and then stop there if you are unsure of what it shows. (Do so at your own risk) Have you recently updated your BIOS or moved your computer and maybe did not plug something back in correctly? Good luck.

BIG RED
08-18-2008, 09:59 AM
You can check device manager, (in XP) rt click on MyComputer/left click Properties/left click Hardware tab/left click Device Manager. See if there is any hardware you don't recognize or any !! or ?? next to something that was installed previously. You can probably safely click on the "not this time button" and click next and see what hardware it has found, and then stop there if you are unsure of what it shows. (Do so at your own risk) Have you recently updated your BIOS or moved your computer and maybe did not plug something back in correctly? Good luck.

I did this, and found a yellow question mark beside a Video controller installed. I did no such thing. So I uninstalled it right from there. Re-booted and it came right back????
One of my virus tools found a 'DNS Changer...' file that had a trojan. Deleted it 3 different times, that must be it, but can't get it out of my computer??

I have to go to an appt. now, but will be on later.
Can I get to this directly and get rid of it?

098poi
08-18-2008, 10:43 AM
I did a little search and this site has a fix which should work.
http://www.myantispyware.com/2007/11/06/how-to-remove-trojan-dnschanger/
I used this "fixwareout" for a problem I had awhile back with redirect spyware (with the assistance of this board) and it worked. Read carefully and follow the instructions!!! If that works then recheck device manager, if you still have an issue you may have a video card problem which is unrelated to the spyware or the spyware messed up the video driver and it needs a reload. If you end up reloading a video driver and you reboot and as windows is loading the screen goes blank you may have to reboot in safe mode (hit F8 as the machine is first turned on and select safe mode) and uninstall the video card. It will redetect it on reboot and new hardware wizard will come up again. Just giving you a heads up, sometimes video cards can go bad but still work. It just won't have all the capability's it did before. When you reload the driver windows boots up and when the correct video driver loads the damaged hardware can't handle it and the screen is dark. Not trying to scare you just letting you know of some things that may happen.

Dave Schwartz
08-18-2008, 11:58 AM
I did this, and found a yellow question mark beside a Video controller installed. I did no such thing. So I uninstalled it right from there. Re-booted and it came right back????

I think you are missing the point.

The hardware has become "uninstalled" or, if you prefer, "not installed."

When Windows boots it says, "Hey, I found some new hardware. Do you want to install it?"

When you say "no" then it runs the best that it can without the hardware being properly installed.

Then you deleted the item from Device Manager.

Upon re-boot the system says, "Hey, I found some new hardware. Do you want to install it?"

The correct answer is "yes" and let Windows try to re-install it. If it can't find the proper drivers, etc., insert the CD (if you have one).

I have a similar problem on my primary application machine. My CD-RW and my DVD-RW are both incorrectly installed. On almost every boot up I get the same message. Unfortunately, trying to re-install does not good as my XP installation is corrupt. LOL - When I need the CD-ROM I actually use one on another machine under my desk via the network.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Dave

JustRalph
08-18-2008, 01:47 PM
Red

rip out all video controllers....from device manager...do a hard shut down (all the way off) and then boot up and reload the video driver it is asking for. see what happens. Your video driver may just be corrupt. reloading might fix it.

Dave

rip out your cd drives from device manager, rip out your Ide controllers...... restart.........

just my two cents.........

Dave Schwartz
08-18-2008, 03:15 PM
Ralph,

Thanks. Did that and re-installed from CD. SOmetimes they show up again after a reboot and work then suddenly they disappear.

Corrupt install of XP.

Dave

BIG RED
08-18-2008, 11:04 PM
All set!!

Thanks guys.

I did what Dave said, even though I was leary at touching any of it. I don't like the idea of touching anything that just pops up.
Fast as hell again, and no scrolling problem. I haven't a clue what went on, but back to normal.
This place is better than 'Help' anywhere !

Just for curiocity, why was my scrolling screwed up?

Thanks again ALL

Dave Schwartz
08-18-2008, 11:13 PM
You think you haven't got a clue?

That makes two of us.

BIG RED
08-18-2008, 11:17 PM
Tell me about it! HaHa

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_2.gif

098poi
08-19-2008, 01:47 AM
All set!!

Thanks guys.

I did what Dave said, even though I was leary at touching any of it. I don't like the idea of touching anything that just pops up.
Fast as hell again, and no scrolling problem. I haven't a clue what went on, but back to normal.
This place is better than 'Help' anywhere !

Just for curiocity, why was my scrolling screwed up?

Thanks again ALL

Glad you are O.K.. If the video driver was not loaded properly it is not surprising you had scroll problems. That spyware that your antivirus found may be the remnants of something that was there and was removed. If you were hijacked you would know when you tried to go to familiar sites, do searches etc..

098poi
08-19-2008, 01:55 AM
Dave,

I have seen this issue in the field. Dell would send a new drive and windows would still not see it. You could see it in the Bios but not in My Computer. I would call in and they (Dell) would have me go in the registry and remove upper and lower filters. Upon reboot it worked fine. I don't know what they are but here is a microsoft link if you are interested.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

Dave Schwartz
08-19-2008, 02:15 AM
Thanks, Bob. However, I KNOW that it is a corrupt XP installation. There are a few other issues that point ot it.

I will take a look at the link.

After looking at the link...
Different error. I get the error on (before) bootup.

098poi
08-19-2008, 02:19 AM
Maybe it's not the OS that is corrupt but the user!!!!!:D
Good night.