PDA

View Full Version : An interesting quote from Mr McCain on NBC Today Show

equicom
08-17-2008, 02:29 PM
John McCain on NBC Today:

If I am president of the United States, my friends, then even if I have to follow him to the gates of Hell, I will find Osama Bin Laden and bring him to justice. I know how to do it!

I thought that was a very interesting comment, and it raises the question that if he really means what he says, then why hasn't he shared the info with the current president of the United States?

Surely bringing Osama to justice should be more important than winning the election on that promise, and obviously he'd get lots of political brownie points if he was the man who "saved the day" by telling President Bush how to catch Osama?

It was an odd thing to say.

boxcar
08-17-2008, 03:27 PM

What was par for the course, though, is that a presidential hopeful will very likely say virtually anything to get elected. Nothing odd about this strategy.

Boxcar

equicom
08-17-2008, 03:34 PM
It detracts from his credibility. I suspect it would have been smarter to make a less outlandish claim, or at least to have said something like "I will win the war on terror" or something easy to swallow like that.

Marshall Bennett
08-17-2008, 03:57 PM
At least the man has an agenda , for whatever its worth . Obama's plan is to sit on his ass in the white house and hope Osama dies of old age . Obama's plan is to sit on his ass in the white house and hope everything goes away . Obama really doesn't have much of a plan for anything . The only thing he may ever "change" is the furniture in the white house . He's a fraud !!

Tom
08-17-2008, 04:34 PM
Not an odd thing to say at all.

equicom
08-17-2008, 05:10 PM
But... do you believe he will hunt down Osama, catch him, and bring him to justice? And, if he does do that, will it do any good?

Personally I don't think getting Osama out of the picture will put an end to terrorism. In fact, quite the contrary... I can think of nothing worse than allowing Osama to become a martyr. It will just stir up even more fervent craziness.

Quite beside the point, though. What I really want to know is if you believe that McCain can deliver on the promise, or is he just huffing and puffing?

Tom
08-17-2008, 06:12 PM
I really don't care what you think, actually. It's our election, we will deal with it. Your input is worthless.

boxcar
08-17-2008, 06:13 PM
But... do you believe he will hunt down Osama, catch him, and bring him to justice? And, if he does do that, will it do any good?

Personally I don't think getting Osama out of the picture will put an end to terrorism. In fact, quite the contrary... I can think of nothing worse than allowing Osama to become a martyr. It will just stir up even more fervent craziness.

Quite beside the point, though. What I really want to know is if you believe that McCain can deliver on the promise, or is he just huffing and puffing?

If Ethics were a totem pole, virtually all politicians would rank below a used car salesman on it. How do you know when either are lying? When they move their lips...and when they don't.

Boxcar

pandy
08-17-2008, 08:41 PM
John McCain on NBC Today:

I thought that was a very interesting comment, and it raises the question that if he really means what he says, then why hasn't he shared the info with the current president of the United States?

Surely bringing Osama to justice should be more important than winning the election on that promise, and obviously he'd get lots of political brownie points if he was the man who "saved the day" by telling President Bush how to catch Osama?

McCain's been saying that for some time now. Personally, I believe that he will get Osama if he is elected President. Whether or not that would help is another matter.

HUSKER55
08-17-2008, 11:06 PM
Obama does not have what it takes to get the job done. McCain knows how. Don't forget, GW is calling the shots right now.

JustRalph
08-18-2008, 12:17 AM
Obama has a plan. A plan for your money...............

boxcar
08-18-2008, 12:28 AM
Obama has a plan. A plan for your money...............

And let's not forget his murderous plan for all those unwanted babies who make it outside the womb? So far, he's batting a 1.000. Kill the economy with tax hikes and he wants to legalize the killing of unwanted babies.

Boxcar

rastajenk
08-18-2008, 04:26 AM
One of the first things McCain will learn after he wins the election is that bin Laden been gone. As in "dead." The second thing he will learn is that it is more important to prevent future acts of terror than to punish past ones. Better to have terrorist thugs die in anonymous ignominy than to pump up their martyrdom value.

boxcar
08-18-2008, 10:37 AM
One of the first things McCain will learn after he wins the election is that bin Laden been gone. As in "dead."

Where's your proof of this?

The second thing he will learn is that it is more important to prevent future acts of terror than to punish past ones. Better to have terrorist thugs die in anonymous ignominy than to pump up their martyrdom value.

A lot easier said than done. This is akin to telling all law enforcement agencies throughout the nation that from now on their job is to prevent all crime instead of hunting down criminals for their past acts.

Furthermore, are you suggesting that in the prevention of terrorist acts that the U.S. government and even local law enforcement agencies have a blanket license to kill the wanna-be perpetrators? We don't have to give them their day in court? We can skip right over the judicial processes?

Boxcar

rastajenk
08-18-2008, 11:33 AM
Of course not. How in the world did you interpolate that? All I'm saying is that taking the fight to them, over there, (them being "insurgents," Taliban, al Qaeda, any other would-be terrorists and their enablers), and killing them in war-like situations is better than singling out any individual for the sort of justice that makes heroes.

The Bush plan is working. Like he said very early on, nobody is going to wake up one day and say, "We have won." But everybody (at least, most rational people) can say, "we are winning."

As for bin Laden, where is the proof that he's still alive? Like Pete Rose used to say, before he confessed, "You can't prove a negative." :D Where are any credible images of him in a setting that establishes any particular point in time? I put no credence in any of the audiotapes that have emerged from time to time.

46zilzal
08-18-2008, 12:01 PM
The Bush plan is working. Like he said very early on, nobody is going to wake up one day and say, "We have won." But everybody (at least, most rational people) can say, "we are winning."

That is one of the funniest things I have heard in quite awhile.

rastajenk
08-18-2008, 12:05 PM
When was the last time the United States was attacked?

boxcar
08-18-2008, 12:30 PM
Of course not. How in the world did you interpolate that? All I'm saying is that taking the fight to them, over there, (them being "insurgents," Taliban, al Qaeda, any other would-be terrorists and their enablers), and killing them in war-like situations is better than singling out any individual for the sort of justice that makes heroes.

As for bin Laden, where is the proof that he's still alive? Like Pete Rose used to say, before he confessed, "You can't prove a negative." :D Where are any credible images of him in a setting that establishes any particular point in time? I put no credence in any of the audiotapes that have emerged from time to time.

I don't have any proof that he's alive -- no more than you do to have emphatically stated that he's dead. However, in the absence of any proof of his death, it's eminently reasonable to assume he's still alive.

Boxcar

rastajenk
08-18-2008, 12:39 PM
The only good death for his adherents is either to go out in a blaze of glory, or be captured, tried, and executed in a stagey show trial at the hands of the corrupt, imperialistic, and satanic U.S. Just being killed in a bombing run like a common footsoldier isn't worth mentioning to the world press. Proof? We'll just have to wait and see. But devoting, or promising to devote, any resources to the effort strikes me as not being very efficient.

Tom
08-18-2008, 12:43 PM
I would enjoy seeing him hanged like SH, only on better video, with Slo-Mo and stop action.

We deserve it.

equicom
08-18-2008, 02:46 PM
I really don't care what you think, actually. It's our election, we will deal with it. Your input is worthless.

I'm constantly amazed that you lecture people to read what is posted, yet neglect to do so yourself.

You will notice I was not informing you of my thoughts, but asking yours!

Is there any particular reason why you constantly resort to rudeness? I don't think it is necessary to be rude in order to make a point.

boxcar
08-18-2008, 03:06 PM
I'm constantly amazed that you lecture people to read what is posted, yet neglect to do so yourself.

Then pray tell, sir, to whom was the "I's" referring in your post #6?

Once you injected your own opinion into the aforementioned post, it matters not what else you really wanted to know because you left yourself open to kind of retort you received from Tom, which really wasn't rude at all since it appears Tom did read your post. ;)

Boxcar

equicom
08-18-2008, 03:17 PM
So, I can't have an opinon? Do you think I only express my opinion to delight Tom?

He was rude. Never answered the question and only focused on what I had expressed, and the opinion I stated had nothing to do with my question, as indicated by "that is quite beside the point", in other words, I was saying that my commentary was a side issue and not something that I wanted to get into a discussion about.

And furthermore, Tom's words were rude regardless. I didn't say Tom was rude for not answering the question, or because he was wrong.

I said he was rude because the statement:

Is in fact quite rude. And none of my comments were about the election, so the statement itself is also wandering away from the point a little too far, and creating a false image of what I was talking about.

Tom
08-18-2008, 03:42 PM

Is there any particular reason why you constantly resort to rudeness? I don't think it is necessary to be rude in order to make a point.\

I did read - this: Personally I don't think getting Osama out of the picture will put an end to terrorism. In fact, quite the contrary... I can think of nothing worse than allowing Osama to become a martyr. It will just stir up even more fervent craziness.

My conclusion was what I think was of no concern to you. Call that rude it you want to, I call it stating three facts. YOU were the one calling people names for reporting your post. I call that rude.

equicom
08-18-2008, 03:49 PM
You are directly rude, however. Aggressively so. And often for no reason. It doesn't improve your point, it weakens it.

Now the other thing....

You have no right to decide what is of concern to me. If I decide something is my concern then it is. You don't get to decide it for me. I thought you hated dictators, but if you're telling me what I am allowed to think, that makes you a dictator.

Tom
08-18-2008, 03:59 PM
Mr. Rogers: "Can you spell jerk?"

Secretariat
08-19-2008, 09:19 PM
Interesting commentary on McCain from Cafferty. I always thought CNN shill Cafferty was pretty far to the right. Guess even he's getting tired of it.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/08/18/cafferty.mccain/index.html

"Commentary: Is McCain another George W. Bush?
Editor's Note: Jack Cafferty is the author of the best-seller "It's Getting Ugly Out There: The Frauds, Bunglers, Liars, and Losers Who Are Hurting America." He provides commentary on CNN's "The Situation Room" daily from 4 p.m.-7 p.m.

NEW YORK (CNN) -- Russia invades Georgia and President Bush goes on vacation. Our president has spent one-third of his entire two terms in office either at Camp David, Maryland, or at Crawford, Texas, on vacation.

His time away from the Oval Office included the month leading up to 9/11, when there were signs Osama bin Laden was planning to attack America, and the time Hurricane Katrina destroyed the city of New Orleans.

Sen. John McCain takes weekends off and limits his campaign events to one a day. He made an exception for the religious forum on Saturday at Saddleback Church in Southern California.

I think he made a big mistake. When he was invited last spring to attend a discussion of the role of faith in his life with Sens. Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton, at Messiah College in Pennsylvania, McCain didn't bother to show up. Now I know why."

equicom
08-20-2008, 10:58 AM
NEW YORK (CNN) -- Russia invades Georgia and President Bush goes on vacation. Our president has spent one-third of his entire two terms in office either at Camp David, Maryland, or at Crawford, Texas, on vacation.

Wow... if that is true, it is shocking. How does that compare with other presidents, though? Is it unusual? I mean, I know Jimmy Carter liked to go fishing (for rabbits, apprently :) ).

Tom
08-20-2008, 11:57 AM
Presidents are never on vacation. They are ALWAYS in contact and always have key staff with them. Only the locale changes.

Sec just harps on this because it is his best shot.:ThmbDown:

Greyfox
08-20-2008, 12:34 PM
Whatever McCan't is saying it must be the right thing.

Polls today are reporting a 5 point lead over Obama.

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSN1927197620080820?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews&rpc=22&sp=true
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - In a sharp turnaround, Republican John McCain (http://www.reuters.com/news/globalcoverage/johnmccain) has opened a 5-point lead on Democrat Barack Obama (http://www.reuters.com/news/globalcoverage/barackobama) in the U.S. presidential race and is seen as a stronger manager of the economy, according to a Reuters/Zogby poll released on Wednesday.

Will the Dems panic and bring back Hilarity?

equicom
08-20-2008, 12:38 PM
I don't think Carter was "in contact" in that swamp. Even the Secret Service didn't save him from that rabbit. He had to fight it himself.

Tom
08-20-2008, 01:09 PM
Greyfox, that would explain hcap's absence from the board, huh? :lol: