PDA

View Full Version : AVG Free Issue - please look

Dave Schwartz
08-16-2008, 11:16 PM
All of my machines developed the same AVG error condition today when trying to do an update:

"A bin file is missing."

Has anyone else experienced this?

Is your AVG working fine?

Dave Schwartz

Dave Schwartz
08-16-2008, 11:35 PM
I found my own answer... seems that AVG blew itself up today.

It is all over the web.

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6142_102-0.html?forumID=5&threadID=304994&messageID=2835571

Dave Schwartz
08-17-2008, 12:20 AM
And the fix...

http://www.testmy.net/forum/index.php?topic=24166.msg279605;topicseen

Tom
08-17-2008, 12:55 AM
I just had it and just fixed it.
Thanks for the heads up, Dave.

btw....the chowder was Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.:p

joanied
08-18-2008, 04:36 PM
You guys may want to check out the free edition of 'Avast' for your virus protection...been using it for several years now and never had a virus or other nasty thing, never had a problem with the program itself or it's updates... it's a great AV program.
:)

xtb
08-18-2008, 04:58 PM
You guys may want to check out the free edition of 'Avast' for your virus protection...been using it for several years now and never had a virus or other nasty thing, never had a problem with the program itself or it's updates... it's a great AV program.

Avast is great. I knew my machine was infected with something and kept running McAfee but it found nothing. I installed Avast and it found two viruses. I paid a lot for McAfee but chucked it for Avast.

raybo
08-18-2008, 06:29 PM
Does Avast take up much computer resources? I was using AVG on my old computer but it slowed everything down so much that half the time I'd turn it off. As for McAfee and Norton, I learned my lesson long ago, never again.

equicom
08-18-2008, 06:36 PM
Yeah it does slow everything down because it checks everything in real time. So you don't have to do a scan or whatever most of the time. It can get annoying if you're doing something that takes a long time, or uploading a really big file.

The upside is that it is one of the most effective virus scanners available and will catch many that get through. Some false positives from time to time, but I guess we can live with that.

The worst thing about Avast is the crummy interface. The best thing is how much control you have over its actions and how well it detects viruses.

joanied
08-18-2008, 07:11 PM
Does Avast take up much computer resources? I was using AVG on my old computer but it slowed everything down so much that half the time I'd turn it off. As for McAfee and Norton, I learned my lesson long ago, never again.

raybo,
equicom says it did slow his puter a bit....but I didn't notice any slow down with my machine...regardless...it's as good as it gets for catching nasties....and you can tinker with it's settings if ya want to...as for the interface....for me, I could care less what an interface looks like...as long as the program is top notch.

Another great program I use is 'Registry Mechanic'... it's great at repairing errors in your registry, and it's 110% safe...ya don't want to mess with the registry if you don't know exactly what you're doin'...so this program is super...it does cost, but beleive me, well worth it.

http://www.registrymechanic.com (http://www.registrymechanic.com/)

Also...one more little gem...this program is free and it'll tell you when you have programs that are not 'patched', and you can fix them directly from the program... 'Secunia PSI' (personal software inspector)
http://www.secunia.com (http://www.secunia.com/)
If you want to try this program, be sure to get the PSI version...they have another pay for version for puters on network...ya don't need that.

:) :) :)

Zaf
08-18-2008, 07:53 PM
Has anyone tried Finallyfast.com, It is supposed to help speed up a computer's performance. I have never tried it , only have seen the ads on T.V. Just wondering if anyone has tried it.

Z

joanied
08-18-2008, 09:20 PM
Has anyone tried Finallyfast.com, It is supposed to help speed up a computer's performance. I have never tried it , only have seen the ads on T.V. Just wondering if anyone has tried it.

Z

AAARRGGGHH...I came over here because I was getting my threads over at the horse racing topics so I had to scroll...and was wondering why...then discovered it was only the thread with the huge photo of the Alabama....
but...couldn't help jumping in on some of these posts...

zaf...don't bother:ThmbDown: they let you run a scan for free...then the next step is $$$$$$:mad: .
I have found in the past that every program that promises to speed up your puter is usually full of s**t :liar:
Now maybe this one is different, and at least it isn't one of those that runs your 'free' scan then tells you that your puter is ready to blow:eek: up...but ya have to buy the program to fix it...

I'm too busy now with our farm, but in a week or so I plan on visiting a web site I belong to that checks out new programs and gives ya the true skinny...I'll post there and they'll check this 'finallyfast' thing...
then, if they give it the OK, I'll post back here with the results... don't go by any 'customer reviews', as they are also usually full of s**t too... so this one is still on hold.

Zaf
08-18-2008, 09:31 PM
Joanied,

Thanks for the info.

Z

joanied
08-18-2008, 09:47 PM
Joanied,

Thanks for the info.

Z

:) :) :)

dutchboy
08-18-2008, 09:54 PM
Open google search and type in "finallyfast.com reviews"

They seem to have complaints that once someone does purchase the service it is hard to cancell and they may also bill your credit card multiple times.

Best way to speed up a pc is to buy and install more ram. Next is to delete programs installed but never used. They may sit in your pc's start up and run in the background. Clean out the junk on your pc. Reboot your pc every few days if not every day to clear the memory.

Z

gillenr
08-18-2008, 10:18 PM
I agree with dutch - anything advertised on tv should make you put the lock on your credit cards.
RAM is never too much.

barn32
08-18-2008, 10:31 PM

Z

I just tried a product called Speed up My PC. (http://www.liutilities.com/products/speedupmypc/) I wasn't really that happy with it, It worked at first, but then it just seemed to cause more problems than solutions, I asked for refund, and they honored the refund no problem, but first they tried to sell me one of their other products and threw in a free photography utility.

So I said OK and purchased Registry Booster 2 (http://www.liutilities.com/products/registrybooster/). I used to have a product called Reg Cure, which was recommended by Dell after I had some issues. But it had expired.

Registry Booster 2 is similar (or basically the same as) Registry Mechanic, and so far I've had no problems and it works great. I run it every couple of days to clean out the gunk and I also use the built-in registry defrag.

I got it for about $23.00. I think they ask $39.00, but when you got to buy they knock $10 off of that and after doing a search about that kind of software I found a site with a promotion code that saved another 20% or so.

I've heard good things about Registry Mechanic, and this Uniblue product works fine too.

But I am going to get some more ram.

joanied
08-19-2008, 08:41 PM
Hey guys...here ya go...the skinny on this rip off crap program:

Finallyfast is a ripoff in our opinion. Some are reporting that the site actually puts junk on your computer then detects it and offers to "clean up" your computer for $59.95 yearly. It's just a junk cleaner (like Zappit) a registry optimizer like Registry Mechanic, and it auto-tunes your connection like 5000 free registry tweakers do - (and which never really make much difference).

McAfee Site Advisor has this to say about FinallyFast:

When we tested this site we found links to ascentive.com, which we found to be a distributor of downloads some people consider adware, spyware or other potentially unwanted programs.

FinallyFast is spending millions of dollars in TV advertising (deceptive). This online scanner should not be trusted and if someone actually paid them, they need to see about getting their money back and reporting them to the BBB.

Some user comments posted on SiteAdvisor's FinallyFast.com review page:

False television advert, misleading product, program is full of spyware, adware. I hope it gets shutdown soon. DEFINITLEY RED (referring to McAfee Red Alert you get when visiting finallyfast.com )

This site put a bunch of adware/spyware on my computer and even a desktop hijacker! If you downloaded anything from this site, I suggest you do a virus scan right away and download something to get rid of all the spyware/adware.

Nothing but a scam and bad shopping experience.

STAY AWAY!!! I had to format and reinstall windows because of these jerk****. There needs to be a lawsuit filed for false advertising.

Yep. Avast detected a rootkit in every so called scan they have.

Rootkit. Avast detected it during installation.

It has links to ascentive.com a RED site, the products are rogueware, STAY AWAY, there is absolutely no reason to be here unless you like being scammed/having very bad malware on your computer.

This is weird the site has a Microsoft certified partner icon on it, if what everyone else says about it is true then this makes no sense.

My wife downloaded the free performance scan on this website and it infected her computer with viruses/malware/spyware etc. Now even her antivirus won't run right and her computer keeps freezing. Avoid everything on this website. I can't believe that forbes is actually recommending this company.

This site is dangerous. I saw rip-off ad on Cartoon Network right about 11:58PM. They say their software will make your computer fast, but it doesn't. Their software is rogue and should be listed as spyware. They should be sued just like MediaPipe. This site and their spyware were created from a criminally formed meth-like company called Ascentive....

dutchboy
08-19-2008, 09:56 PM
This is weird the site has a Microsoft certified partner icon on it, if what everyone else says about it is true then this makes no sense.

Above comment is from the previous post. I have the impression the icon or terminology of "Microsoft certified partner" is misleading. Not sure what it is yet but something about it does not look right. I think it is made up.

NoDayJob
08-20-2008, 03:17 AM
Increase your RAM to da max---

PC Doctor is an excellent piece of software too---

kitts
08-20-2008, 01:48 PM
RAM gets my vote. Just got a new machine and went from 256MB to 3GB! Zowie!!!