PDA

View Full Version : Steroid Testing

DrugS
08-15-2008, 06:49 PM
Kentucky just approved a rule to regulate steroids yesterday.

I wrote a column a week ago ( http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080809/SPORTS05/808090439 ) about the new steroid regulations in Pennsylvania which started in April.

48 differnt horses had overages for steroids. Steph Beattie led the way among trainers with 13 overages. It was a long way back to Gorham and Rodgers with 5 each. Tony Dutrow had to settle for 4th place with 4 overages.

Quite a few trainers who rarely run horses in PA and might not have been totally familiar with the rules (Jamie Ness and Tom Amoss most notably) had just one overage apiece.

I'd love to know how the testing is going at Delaware Park - the other state besides Pennsylvania that has had steroid regulations in place.

All along I've had locally based trainers tell me that they are given more than normal amounts of Clenbuterol as a way around the steroid regulations. Interestingly to me anyway, Larry Jones had a Clen overage announced for a horse who ran at Delaware Park this meet.

Last night I heard rumors that three different trainers at Presque Isle just had Clen overages come back all within a week of each other.

I know anabolic steriods have been around in racing for over 30 years - and I'm sure there are obviously more powerful and dangerous performance enhancing drugs out there - but I really do think these bans are a step in the right direction. Even though all of this is only happening because what has happened in baseball over the last few years...it's all just a lucky break for racing imo.

BIG RED
08-15-2008, 06:53 PM
It's a lucky break for the horses , maybe not our handi-capping. I'll take that endeavor all the time.

Good to see it try and come about.