PDA

View Full Version : Is this really how Belmont and Aqueduct look?

csperberg
08-15-2008, 03:28 PM
I came across this video on YouTube and I wanted to know if this is what to expect if going to either of Belmont or Aqueduct. I know it may not really represent both tracks, but regardless all I can say is wow. I could only hope that this is a gross misrrepresentation of these tracks.

Having never been to either one, I had visioned both places as still being great places to go to. Maybe the stands might be empty but the facilities in top notch condition. Someone on the comments were mentioning that some of the areas were closed to public, but I still have to say why not simply take care of these areas too. Some of the shots seem like they are real health and safety hazards.

Ds-F91N2igM

Stevie Belmont
08-15-2008, 03:46 PM
Wait till January and check out da Big A...

Go down to the Port Authority in New York. On your way you can pick up a 5 dollar umbrella from some dude named Ching-Ming-Wong.
After that go buy a cup of coffee and a NY Post, or a Form (should have the form scoped out already) for your trip in on the A Train. Just don’t stare at anyone. You can either look tough or rock back and forth mumbling The Teletubbies are not gay. Don’t want to read about it on the local News.

Once you get to Aqueduct to you can take that walk from the subway, or squeeze on the bus with same people trying to snag the early Mike Luzzi/Jose Espinoza double for the past 10 years. There is some powerful insight on those buses. Just think of it as a poor mans Siro’s Seminar.

Once you get in…Let the good times roll. If you need company…You have some choices. The Jamaicans will be more than glad to help out a homie of a different ilk. They will give you some solid pedigree info. No turf during the cold months though, but they do dirt as well. You can also get smoked up with them to. So regardless of you are winning or losing. You won’t give a rats ass if you get nipped at the wire and lose a $300 early double. However you might think the walls of the building are moving or watching the race seems like it 15 min long. Other then that..should be A OK.

If that’s not for you, don’t worry. Options abound at the great Big A. You can hang out in the “Sunny Jim” Fitzsimmons room. You will see some great old timers in there. Some even saw Man O’ War race. The stories are great. The good ole days. Ain’t like it used to be and so on. The smell could be a bit much. Some are going 2 days with out a Depends change. I ask who cares? These guys are great. Last time I was there I was doing the track announcing for them. I was yelling at the top of my lungs in this one dude’s ear. Dudes wanted Shoe Info. Who knew? Man that got me tired. Also made some coffee runs. Dude tipped me a nickel. I refused it.

Still have not found the perfect group? You can make yourself at home wandering the granstand level. Where some of the strangest, vile and some what sharpest people ever roam freely for hours upon hours staring and yelling at TV Monitors. Some can even recite Shakespeare, or go into an in depth discussion on Evolution, yet they can’t even tie their shoelaces, let alone tell you when the Breeder’s Cup is. You can mingle with the ticket picker uppers, they are an interesting breed. They scan the floor, hoping, praying to find a winner. It’s a maniacal quest that never ends. One warning, this is not a social group, so I would back off these guys.

Still no luck? It doesn’t end there. Let’s see some horses! This is what going to the track is all about, right? Hang outside with your umbrella that was made by a 4 year old in a sweat shop in Pang-Hi China who is making 3 dollars a week and working 70 hours. Scan the paddock for that sharp looking colt or filly. Detecting sweat will be a bit difficult considering the rain. Here you can chat it up with some so called physical cappers. Hear gthe latest gossip. See if the trainer is sporting a tie. Or just wait to see which horse takes a dump last and run to the windows.

Watching the race outside has it advantages to. They run right by you, so you can see it. The flip side is when a can or bottle gets thrown in disgust by a dude named Tyrone who blew is last $5 on a 75/1 Candlin/Espinoza 7,500 claimer. Heads up is a commonly yelled phrase.

If you are of the solitary kind, Don’t fret. It’s a paradise for those who roam alone. Examples swearing jockeys names use of the word Pig alot and loud, why did he wait so long? Things like that. You will fit right in. Constant talking to oneself is key. You will look like a tracky. Keep as many forms and papers visible under the arms and back pocket. Have a look of utter disgust and agitation at all time, as if you are one more loss away from going ballistic. Make sure your hair is a little messed up to. No one would even consider bothering you for anything. This assures a care free day at the races

Hope this helps. Good luck and cash some winners.

Make sure after you leave, all this is left at the track. You could get locked up in real society with this behavior

cmoore
08-15-2008, 04:01 PM

Go down to the Port Authority in New York. On your way you can pick up a 5 dollar umbrella from some dude named Ching-Ming-Wong.
After that go buy a cup of coffee and a NY Post, or a Form (should have the form scoped out already) for your trip in on the A Train. Just don’t stare at anyone. You can either look tough or rock back and forth mumbling The Teletubbies are not gay. Don’t want to read about it on the local News.

Once you get to Aqueduct to you can take that walk from the subway, or squeeze on the bus with same people trying to snag the early Mike Luzzi/Jose Espinoza double for the past 10 years. There is some powerful insight on those buses. Just think of it as a poor mans Siro’s Seminar.

Once you get in…Let the good times roll. If you need company…You have some choices. The Jamaicans will be more than glad to help out a homie of a different ilk. They will give you some solid pedigree info. No turf during the cold months though, but they do dirt as well. You can also get smoked up with them to. So regardless of you are winning or losing. You won’t give a rats ass if you get nipped at the wire and lose a $300 early double. However you might think the walls of the building are moving or watching the race seems like it 15 min long. Other then that..should be A OK.

If that’s not for you, don’t worry. Options abound at the great Big A. You can hang out in the “Sunny Jim” Fitzsimmons room. You will see some great old timers in there. Some even saw Man O’ War race. The stories are great. The good ole days. Ain’t like it used to be and so on. The smell could be a bit much. Some are going 2 days with out a Depends change. I ask who cares? These guys are great. Last time I was there I was doing the track announcing for them. I was yelling at the top of my lungs in this one dude’s ear. Dudes wanted Shoe Info. Who knew? Man that got me tired. Also made some coffee runs. Dude tipped me a nickel. I refused it.

Still have not found the perfect group? You can make yourself at home wandering the granstand level. Where some of the strangest, vile and some what sharpest people ever roam freely for hours upon hours staring and yelling at TV Monitors. Some can even recite Shakespeare, or go into an in depth discussion on Evolution, yet they can’t even tie their shoelaces, let alone tell you when the Breeder’s Cup is. You can mingle with the ticket picker uppers, they are an interesting breed. They scan the floor, hoping, praying to find a winner. It’s a maniacal quest that never ends. One warning, this is not a social group, so I would back off these guys.

Still no luck? It doesn’t end there. Let’s see some horses! This is what going to the track is all about, right? Hang outside with your umbrella that was made by a 4 year old in a sweat shop in Pang-Hi China who is making 3 dollars a week and working 70 hours. Scan the paddock for that sharp looking colt or filly. Detecting sweat will be a bit difficult considering the rain. Here you can chat it up with some so called physical cappers. Hear gthe latest gossip. See if the trainer is sporting a tie. Or just wait to see which horse takes a dump last and run to the windows.

Watching the race outside has it advantages to. They run right by you, so you can see it. The flip side is when a can or bottle gets thrown in disgust by a dude named Tyrone who blew is last $5 on a 75/1 Candlin/Espinoza 7,500 claimer. Heads up is a commonly yelled phrase.

If you are of the solitary kind, Don’t fret. It’s a paradise for those who roam alone. Examples swearing jockeys names use of the word Pig alot and loud, why did he wait so long? Things like that. You will fit right in. Constant talking to oneself is key. You will look like a tracky. Keep as many forms and papers visible under the arms and back pocket. Have a look of utter disgust and agitation at all time, as if you are one more loss away from going ballistic. Make sure your hair is a little messed up to. No one would even consider bothering you for anything. This assures a care free day at the races

Make sure after you leave, all this is left at the track. You could get locked up in real society with this behavior

Nice little short story..That could be turned into a comedy series...

bigmack
08-15-2008, 04:26 PM
Once you get in…Let the good times roll.
:lol::lol:

Good stuff, SB.

csperberg
08-15-2008, 04:43 PM
Good write up Stevie B, now I know

I came across this video in pictures about Aquedcut

I9speAlKAY4

fmhealth
08-15-2008, 05:42 PM
Stevie, that was one of the best posts I've ever read on any board on any topic. Growing up in NY, it brought back "fond" memories. I'm speechless!!

sandpit
08-15-2008, 08:13 PM
You could have shot this video at Churchill Downs prior to the time they tore down and rebuilt most of the stands a few years back. The only thing that's different is that they had to spruce up the joint every year for the Derby and Oaks.

jognlope
08-15-2008, 08:31 PM
I worked at Jamaica Hospital not far from, I guess Aqueduct, wasn't into racing then. The neighborhood is run down and dangerous, lots of gunshot wounds and stabbings come into the trauma center. Maybe because of the neighborhood looting it's impossible to keep up the places.

jognlope
08-15-2008, 08:34 PM
Stevie Belmont, thanks for that taste of New York, I miss it. Up here in "keep you house clean above all else" land and have not had a decent conversation since I left NY and came up here, except by email to old friends and in forums.

Pace Cap'n
08-15-2008, 08:54 PM
Best. Post. Ever!

PaceAdvantage
08-16-2008, 03:48 AM
A lot of that nasty footage at Aqu. was probably shot in the section of the track that has been closed to the public for years.

They had started work on the "slot parlor" many moons ago, but one thing led to the other, and then the indictments came down, so all work ceased and because they had already started demolition, it never reopened to the public.

That's what you're seeing in that video. A great case of "taken out of context."

Tom
08-16-2008, 10:11 AM
It was the steward's room. :lol:

classhandicapper
08-16-2008, 10:50 AM
It was the steward's room. :lol:

OMG I laughed so hard at that. :lol:

Zman179
08-16-2008, 11:07 AM
I came across this video in pictures about Aqueduct

The best line was the last one. I can't understand why people go to the track to watch the races on tv either. I mean, if you have cable tv in New York then you've got the NYRA races on your home tv for free.

Bottom line: Saratoga and Aqueduct are polar opposites. Only hardened, hardcore gamblers go to Aqueduct. Nothing like watching races in 20° weather on the Inner Dirt with 1,500 other fans in a place designed to hold over 75,000. BTW, I wouldn't suggest sitting next to the Jamaicans. When you get home you'll eat everything out of your fridge.

I worked at Jamaica Hospital not far from, I guess Aqueduct, wasn't into racing then. The neighborhood is run down and dangerous, lots of gunshot wounds and stabbings come into the trauma center. Maybe because of the neighborhood looting it's impossible to keep up the places.

Jamaica and South Jamaica are ghettos (where Jam Hosp gets most of its clientèle,) but Aqueduct is actually located in Ozone Park which is a decent neighborhood filled with row houses. Not a dangerous place at all...unlike the grandstand. :lol:

Cangamble
08-16-2008, 11:18 AM
Stevie, I had to blog your story today. It was too funny to not make the rounds.
http://cangamble.blogspot.com/2008/08/aqueduct-how-to-fit-in-with-crowd.html

Stevie Belmont
08-16-2008, 12:10 PM
Yea thanks...people don't get to hear stuff like this on the internet from people who go there.

I enjoy the Big A...It's one of my favorite tracks. I always enjoy my day there, more so if I come out on the plus side.

I wrote this about a year ago maybe. I'm glad people like it.

MickJ26
08-17-2008, 03:35 PM
The majority of what Stevie says is true about Aqueduct in the winter. The majority of the racetrackers who populate Aqueduct in wintertime are hardcore gamblers and/or people with social dysfunctions. As for the footage, most of the Aqueduct plant has been closed to the public for years since they tried to put in the slot machines. Of course there's going to be decay in areas not for public use. Combine this with NYRA's finances and/or ignorance and you have what was shown in the footage. This is not necessarily an accurate representation of what you would see on a visit to Aqueduct.

OTM Al
08-17-2008, 10:47 PM
That is definitely the closed off section of the grandstand. The funny thing is at the end you can see a sign that says "No Patron Access". Also, by the weather, it looked to be during the time of year when Aqueduct is closed for racing, so the vast majority of maintenance crews wouldn't even be there to clean up a bit. The track is a bit worn to be sure and does need some major work, and should get it with the franchise issue being settled. Being near the ocean, paint and metal takes a beating from the salt in the air and as you can see from the seagulls. I won't say the place has the creature comforts of home as it is a pretty utilitarian track, but its a hell of a lot nicer than that, and I have walked through the neighborhoods to the track and they are clean and full of family housing.

thespaah
08-17-2008, 11:33 PM
It was the steward's room. :lol:All right .Just settle down.....
That was very funny

richrosa
08-17-2008, 11:58 PM
Great post.

I was at Aqueduct in April for my bi-annual trek. The video is unfair. Aqueduct is old, and a bit run down, but it does have some regal quality about it, and is not by far the worst Thoroughbred track running right now.

mannyberrios
08-19-2008, 09:03 PM
I am from New York, but moved out some 18 years ago, and last April had the chance to visit, was there for the final week at Aqu. and it was not bad at all, had a good time.

highnote
08-19-2008, 11:35 PM
Stevie,

As someone who spent every Saturday at Aqueduct/Belmont and Saratoga for an entire year, I can attest that your story was spot on. I laughed my ass off. You captured the scene perfectly.

David-LV
08-19-2008, 11:46 PM

SB, I think you have the start of a real interesting book here.

Could this be the track that was always in prestine condition where I spent one third of my life at in the 1960's and early 70's ?

What a tragedy.

_______
David

NYPlayer
08-20-2008, 12:18 AM
SB, I think you have the start of a real interesting book here.

Could this be the track that was always in prestine condition where I spent one third of my life at in the 1960's and early 70's ?

What a tragedy.

_______
David

I don't think the decor in the Man O' War Room has changed much since then, and some of the TV's in there can only be described as museum pieces. The main bar just outside the Man O' War room is completely shut down. I've never seen it open during my occasional visits over the past ten years.

True, the video shows portions of the grandstand which has been closed for a few years, but it also shows the clubhouse area where most of the interior is ratty, and where all the fans are now herded.

I consider myself a diehard fan, but I don't enjoy my visits to the big A, and can't honestly recommend the experience to anyone.