PDA

View Full Version : Is there someone who polices jockey corruption?

Imriledup
08-15-2008, 01:12 PM
I'm not suggesting that any rider in this great land of ours is giving less than 100% effort on every ride, every day, but i was just wondering who is actually in charge of making sure that each jockey is acting on his own. As far as i know, there has not really been a big scandal that's come out recently with jockeys sending bets out of the jocks room...or having collusion on the racetrack where one speed horse doesn't go for the lead and lets the other guy go, etc, but i'd like to know if there is someone who is responsible to make sure that jockies who win one race a year aren't driving a brand new Porsche and living on beach in Malibu.

Rinky Dink tracks with jocks who make minimum wage (pretty much) are we all to assume that none of these jocks ever bet on another jocks mount and give less than 100 effort?

Is there an elected body that is 'investigating' these riders to make sure that none of this stuff is going on?

When i watch professional sports and see rival first basemen having a smiling conversation with a player from the other team who reached first base i think that if it can happen with a 20 million dollar a year athlete in front of millions of fans on NBC, it certainly can happen with an anonymous rider from an anonymous track who's betting on the other guy and not trying to win.

Don't you think that if there was a vigilant body that was solely in charge of making sure all riders were honest, we would have SOMEONE busted for racefixing at some point in time?

Or, is this just the 'hush hush' don't ask don't tell part of racing?

rufus999
08-15-2008, 01:26 PM
Has a long, colorful, and rich reputation for scandal much of which has gone unreported in the past. I personally know of a few incidents on the NYRA circuit where the outcomes were far less than ethical. I also know of certain people who profited greatly from these incidents. I will just say this. These people occupied positions on all levels of the political hierarchy. No one individual was ever designated to police the actions of the riders for the most obvious of reasons which I just stated. I assume that nothing has changed, but I don't follow NY racing as closely as I used to.

rufus:9::9::9:

Mag
08-15-2008, 03:32 PM
The TRPB is horseracing's policing entity.

Some jockeys bet (thru others) and some don't. There's been shenanigans since the beginning of racing, but I always thought the trainers were worse with this than the jocks. JMHO.

BUD
08-15-2008, 03:36 PM
I got as far as the minors in hockey...competitors can be friends....hell i fought one of my good good friends 3 times in one season...The idiot won all 3 too.

I would imagine it would not be very hard for some jockey collusion...I'm currently reading Not By A Long Shot by TD Thorton........He discusses some incidents in his book..........But my answer is in ignorance only being involved about a year and some change.....

Marlin
08-15-2008, 09:08 PM
Don't you think that if there was a vigilant body that was solely in charge of making sure all riders were honest, we would have SOMEONE busted for racefixing at some point in time?I can think of quite a few who have been busted in the last decade or so.

BTW jockeys are allowed to bet. Only on their horse and only to win.

If the TRPB has proven anything, it has proven that race fixing A) doesn't happen often, or B) is almost impossible to identify.