PDA

View Full Version : What is cheep speed

joelouis
08-15-2008, 06:34 AM
And how do you tell the difference.

098poi
08-15-2008, 07:40 AM
The kind that always zooms to the front, leads by 3,5 even 10+ lengths, but can never close the deal. (Except when they're 32-1) Just look at the running lines, should be pretty evident.

magwell
08-15-2008, 08:52 AM
And how do you tell the difference. When they stop on a dime and give 9 cents change,:)

Robert Fischer
08-15-2008, 10:32 AM
cheap speed- can't rate, is a weak finisher, should be running for less, and has little chance of winning today's race.

quality speed - is a threat to win today period. You could get fancy and add the antonyms of the cheap qualities as well.

46zilzal
08-15-2008, 12:21 PM
Cheap speed gets out of the gate quick and when challenged spits the bit.

boomman
08-15-2008, 12:30 PM
Joe: The guys here have pretty much nailed it with their answers! I would only add that the one consistent factor that I see in cheap early speed horses is their total inability to finish races, therefore, consistently establishing running lines at each call like this: 1st by 3, 1st by 2, 2nd by 1, 8th by 12..........;)

Boomer

46zilzal
08-15-2008, 12:37 PM
On many wet cold days, a following of energy distribution will allow you to catch many cheap speed animals to enjoy the "clean silk SYNDROME" They get out front, raise a rooster tail of mud, and/or chunks of frozen race track, only to arrive at the winner' circle as the only horse without mud covered silks,

I make a stable income out of this during the winter at Woodbine and Aqueduct.

cj
08-15-2008, 12:38 PM
On many wet cold days, a following of energy distribution will allow you to catch many cheap speed animals to enjoy the "clean silk SYNDROME" They get out front, raise a rooster tail of mud, and/or chunks of frozen race track, only to arrive at the winner' circle as the only horse without mud covered silks,

Really? Mud at Woodbine?

46zilzal
08-15-2008, 12:40 PM
Really? Mud at Woodbine?
LEARN TO READ

Quote:"They get out front, raise a rooster tail of mud, and/or chunks of frozen race track"

You seem to have such a compulsion to differ from everything I write that it is starting to look real foolish.

cj
08-15-2008, 12:41 PM
I've never seen a horse come back with chunks of frozen track covered silks.

Greyfox
08-15-2008, 12:47 PM
The question was: What is "cheep speed?"

"Cheep speed" = the rate of throat utterances put out by young chicks.
(After maturation, it is called "cluck speed.");)

jonnielu
08-15-2008, 01:00 PM
And how do you tell the difference.

The term basically describes a horse that runs all out early and is unable to rate, conserving energy for a finish. Since the ability to finish is the rule of thumb measure of "quality/class" from wayback, it is expected that any "cheap speed" in the race will be passed in the stretch by the "class". This is often true.

But the question at any level of competition is "is the speed truly cheaper (without ability) as compared to the "class" (proven ability)?"

This question, you must develop skill in answering, because the "class" will make the mistake of letting the "cheap speed" go just 1 length too long with some frequency, providing $20+ payoffs to some.

At sprint distances, a real speedball can lug in before he gets caught if he can get enough initial seperation.

"Cheap" speed at the track has much in common with the "cheap 6" of the NFL. An unexpected flea flicker on first down from the forty is considered a "cheap 6", but it often works.

jdl

rufus999
08-15-2008, 01:10 PM

I never bet Woodbine. Isn't it a poly surface? How does the mud enter into the equation up there?:confused:

rufus:9::9::9:

46zilzal
08-15-2008, 01:37 PM
I never bet Woodbine. Isn't it a poly surface? How does the mud enter into the equation up there?:confused:

another one who doesn't read: "They get out front, raise a rooster tail of mud, and/or chunks of frozen race track"

Woodbine's poly is not like any other: it is not too far removed from the energy dynamics of dirt

rufus999
08-15-2008, 01:40 PM
The one that has been thoroughly defined here and the one known as 'rufus:9::9::9: cheap speed' which has been modified and condensed into simply 'cheap anything' or 'cheap period'. These terms are used at the track I frequent to designate a horse with no potential or redeeming value whatsoever. In other words, any horse I place a wager on.

badcompany
08-15-2008, 02:02 PM
When the rest of the field gets close, you know it's over.

joelouis
08-15-2008, 02:06 PM
Thank you all for helping out, I have learned alot on this board, thanks again.

46zilzal
08-15-2008, 02:07 PM
When the rest of the field gets close, you know it's over.
That remains the "herd" assumption, including the riders. I receive nice place mutuels at several tracks when the riders ASSUME the speed in coming back to them but have to scurry to catch it.

john del riccio
08-15-2008, 02:46 PM
cheap speed = no heart

a horse that NEEDS the lead to win and will wilt under pressure is my
definition of cheap speed.

john

rufus999
08-15-2008, 03:07 PM
another one who doesn't read:

I read the entire post and I still don't understand. I guess that elevates me into the class of 'another one who is an idiot'. Correct me if I'm wrong.

p.s. On second thought, don't correct me. I really don't give a shit.:cool:

dav4463
08-15-2008, 04:44 PM
cheap speed at cheap tracks = $$$

BIG RED
08-15-2008, 05:44 PM
Cheap = Money, Speed = front + add that and you get???

$2 win wager on a front runner that loses . Drop them into
a different class, still does the same.

Best I can do.

cj
08-15-2008, 05:47 PM
Woodbine's poly is not like any other: it is not too far removed from the energy dynamics of dirt

More misinformation...

Woodbine, energy wise, plays like the old Woodbine dirt course up to about 6f. Beyond that, it begins to be different. The longer the race, the bigger the difference.

The average winner is going slower to the pace call. It doesn't matter how you want to weigh that in your energy calculations, the result will be much different than the old dirt surface.

Here (http://www.pacefigures.com/synthetics) are the exact numbers. You might notice the other synthetic surfaces follow the same pattern. Turfway Park is pretty much a match to Woodbine.

JBmadera
08-15-2008, 05:50 PM
years ago we used to do well with Los Al horses shipping into HOL...sometimes that "cheap" speed held.

BIG RED
08-15-2008, 05:54 PM
That's like sneezing?

Just a quick plunge. Of course they can run like hell so short :rolleyes:

Energy wise there?

onefast99
08-16-2008, 09:14 AM
Cheap speed is what a trainer uses as part of an entry to get the money horse home and provide an honest pace, in some races where the horses are not part of an entry but trained by the same trainer it is a license to steal as evidenced by Coal Play in the Haskell going to the front and hoping cool coal man would finish off Big Brown. Cheaper speed is a horse who doesnt belong in this particular race and the trainer tells the jockey get him to the front and see if he can hold on!

Tom
08-16-2008, 10:02 AM
I look at horses who can win on the lead only if unchallenged as cheap speed.
You see horses who every 5,6,7 races get loose and win wire to wire by open lengths - never threatened. In races where they duel, or have a horse on their flank, they fold up like a cheap suit. The Beyers will be big in their easy wins - 80, 84, 82, 80 - and nowhere close when they don't get loose - 66, 73, 70.

You see a lot of these on the inner track at Aqueduct every year. If you can predict an easy lead today, use a paceline ( if you use lines) where he got clear.

CHEEP speed is what is in the feed they give to chickens. :lol:

classhandicapper
08-16-2008, 10:12 AM
Basically, I think it's a speedy horse that doesn't have enough stamina and heart to make the lead and hold it at the class level he's been racing at. If you drop a horse like that down to where he really belongs, he'll suddenly become a tough SOB because he'll make the lead easier and the challenges from behind him will be weaker. ;)

Cratos
08-16-2008, 11:08 AM
The term basically describes a horse that runs all out early and is unable to rate, conserving energy for a finish. Since the ability to finish is the rule of thumb measure of "quality/class" from wayback, it is expected that any "cheap speed" in the race will be passed in the stretch by the "class". This is often true.

But the question at any level of competition is "is the speed truly cheaper (without ability) as compared to the "class" (proven ability)?"

This question, you must develop skill in answering, because the "class" will make the mistake of letting the "cheap speed" go just 1 length too long with some frequency, providing $20+ payoffs to some.

At sprint distances, a real speedball can lug in before he gets caught if he can get enough initial seperation.

"Cheap" speed at the track has much in common with the "cheap 6" of the NFL. An unexpected flea flicker on first down from the forty is considered a "cheap 6", but it often works.

jdl

A good answer to the question