PDA

View Full Version : visit to keeneland-fall meet

1st time lasix
08-14-2008, 03:26 PM
Am considering flying in to experience Keeneland in October. Can anyone from Lexington or surrounding area assist me in maximizing my experience? I am 52 years old....not afraid to spend up to go first class if possible. Tips on accomodations....reserved tickets...etc. Have visited Saratoga, Arlington, Gulfstream etc....but Keeneland is on my to do list. {bucket list} Thank you for your consideration. :ThmbUp:

46zilzal
08-14-2008, 03:29 PM
Make sure you investigate a tour to Claiborne while you are there: it is like walking through hallowed ground, particularly the grave yard. Stone Farm is up the street too in Paris. Lanes End, Gainesway (is it still there?) are a few others to investigate.
The Kentucky Horse park is right across the street and Calumet borders KEENELAND.
Google to find some of the tours. I went by myself but those glory days are long over as I have a video of our feeding peppermints to the greatest: Secretariat.

rrbauer
08-14-2008, 07:44 PM
Make sure you investigate a tour to Claiborne while you are there: it is like walking through hallowed ground, particularly the grave yard. Stone Farm is up the street too in Paris. Lanes End, Gainesway (is it still there?) are a few others to investigate.
The Kentucky Horse park is right across the street and Calumet borders KEENELAND.
Google to find some of the tours. I went by myself but those glory days are long over as I have a video of our feeding peppermints to the greatest: Secretariat.

Keeneand is just across Versailles Rd from the airport. I've stayed at the Marriott properties on the north side of town (www.marriott.com) and they were fine. Also, Comfort Suites in Georgetown (12 miles north) was good when I stayed there a couple years ago. (www.choicehotel.com). I agree that visiting some of the farms is time well spent.

Mag
08-15-2008, 12:20 AM
I stayed most often at the Springs, but it's been years. Go to Adena Springs, Ashford, Lane's End, Three Chimneys. When you're out there in Midway, go to the barbeque joint there....it has saddles for bar stools...have a good chowdown. Visit Thoroughbred Park in downtown Lexington, and travel the countryside.

Keeneland is beautiful in the fall, I prefer it over spring. There will be lots of tailgating in the parking lot, Keeneland style of course. Bring camera and comfy shoes.

richrosa
08-15-2008, 09:08 AM
Marriott Griffin Gate is a fine choice for someone who wants the better accommodations. At three stars is going to be about the best you'll get in Lexington, and its where a lot of visiting horsemen stay.

I've stayed at Holiday Inn, Lexington-North which is cheaper, but very decent, especially if you get an upgraded room.

Go see the horse farms, those are fun, but I'll recommend the bourbon distillery tours in the morning, especially the Woodford Reserve tour in Versailles. Its a lot of fun, plus they give you a drink.

Almost nothing beats Keenland at every level.

silk
08-15-2008, 01:16 PM
lasix, you should make the trip to Kee. Marriot Griffin Gate is a good choice.Visit some horse farms,Ky horse park is 15 min. drive. Contact Kee for reserved grandstand seating or table in one of many dining areas (the Equistrian Room is the most player friendly of these.)If you decide to make the trip PM me-I'm an everyday Kee player and i'll be glad to show you around this beautiful place.

1st time lasix
08-15-2008, 02:09 PM
lasix, you should make the trip to Kee. Marriot Griffin Gate is a good choice.Visit some horse farms,Ky horse park is 15 min. drive. Contact Kee for reserved grandstand seating or table in one of many dining areas (the Equistrian Room is the most player friendly of these.)If you decide to make the trip PM me-I'm an everyday Kee player and i'll be glad to show you around this beautiful place. ---Most gracious. thank you.

Fred
08-15-2008, 03:02 PM
May I suggest Malone's for your dining pleasure. After dinner there is a piano bar next door. I do not know if your single or not but the scenery is very nice in the piano bar. You may even run into Bourbon Billy Gillispie. Malones is located at:

3347 Tates Creek Rd
Lexington, KY 40502
(859) 335-6500

Freddy

Hajck Hillstrom
08-15-2008, 03:23 PM
May I suggest Malone's for your dining pleasure.I'll second this motion.

winningcolors1988
08-15-2008, 03:32 PM
I agree with all that has been mentioned, and would add a couple more things to consider:

Dinner here:

http://www.malonesrestaurant.com/index.html

And if you a fan of some older retired stallions, you could meet them here:

http://www.oldfriendsequine.org/

And you might bookmark this page and check it as you get closer to your trip. http://calendar.kentucky.com/search?new=n&sort=0&srad=25&srss=10&st=event&svt=text&swhat=&swhen=&swhere=Lexington%2CKY&trim=1&cat=1101
During the Keeneland meet there are usually lots of fundraisers, like this, mentioned there:

http://www.secretariat.com/BourbonCountyFestival.htm

These events are usually attended by the who's who in racing and would make for a memorable trip. Even if you are by yourself, you will find Kentucky folks very friendly and you will likely make some new racing friends.

I am sure you will enjoy your stay. I haven't met a horse fan yet who was disappointed with their visit to "Mecca."

winningcolors1988
08-15-2008, 03:35 PM
I'll second this motion.

I see I was too slow, so I am thirding that suggestion. When my friends come to town, it is not a suggestion though, it is a definite MUST.

sandpit
08-15-2008, 09:22 PM
Great to hear you are going to visit the Bluegrass state. These are all great suggestions, but I thought I'd add a few more.

Restaurants: For cajun food, Furlongs is fantastic and very horsemen friendly. They held a Randy Romero fundraiser there a couple of years ago. http://www.furlongs.com/
For a taste of true Kentucky cooking, Ramsey's is a local favorite. They have about 5 locations around town.
http://www.ramseysdiners.com/

University of Kentucky football. They have 2 home games during the meet: Oct. 11 - South Carolina and Oct. 18 - Arkansas. Tickets can be had if you snoop around, but they aren't as prevalant since the team has gotten better. Traditionally, Kentucky schedules their Oct. games at night so everybody can enjoy the racing/football "daily double". When that happens, the track is packed with coeds and fans from the visiting team. If the game gets moved to day because of TV, Keeneland will usually show it on the infield Matrix board to accomodate the locals.

Opening weekend of the meet, Oct. 3-5 is full of graded stakes as part of their Breeders' Cup preview. The stakes schedule is still good the rest of the meet, but the quantity of big races drops off some.
On Saturday mornings, they have a Breakfast with the Works programs that is great fun; nice buffet where they don't price gouge like Churchill Downs does, plus you can walk right up to the rail and watch the horse work.
One thing nice about Keeneland is that the barn area is located right next to the grandstand. So, after you finish breakfast, stroll down past the finish line to the racing office, then take a right and you're free to wander around the barn area. As long as you don't try to go pet the horses in their stalls, security won't bother you.:)
Note, if you get your reserved seats in the clubhouse, a coat and tie are required. The Keeneland website has all the info on seating options; you can even reserve them online right now.

Oddball places to visit: located just a mile or two from Keeneland on U.S. 60, the main road in front of the track, is a European castle with huge turrets on each corner. The place is a local legend, with many ownership twist and turns, arson, several remodels, etc. It's currently being reworked to open soon (maybe by the fall meet) as a bed and breakfast/inn/event hall. Here's some pictures.
http://www.sellwithhale.com/lexingtoncastle.html

miesque
08-15-2008, 09:36 PM
I have to chime in and concur, Malone's is the place to get a decent steak in Lexington and I found the prices to be rather reasonable there as well. My only criticisms would be its on the casual side and the wine list could be better.

Premier Turf Club
08-15-2008, 10:02 PM
Oddball places to visit: located just a mile or two from Keeneland on U.S. 60, the main road in front of the track, is a European castle with huge turrets on each corner. The place is a local legend, with many ownership twist and turns, arson, several remodels, etc. It's currently being reworked to open soon (maybe by the fall meet) as a bed and breakfast/inn/event hall. Here's some pictures.
http://www.sellwithhale.com/lexingtoncastle.html

My partner Joe Riddell in PTC (a Lexington RE Broker)was the last guy to sell it, before the fire.

1st time lasix
08-18-2008, 04:17 PM
Gentleman....thank you for all your comments and suggestions. As a patron and fan of the game..... I am determined to experiance several of the top venues and racing cities. Thus far i have been to the Spa.....visited Gulstream during the Breeder's cup/Florida Derby....been to Arlington on Million weekend among others. {Tampa bay downs/Churchill, etc} I have also been very fortunate to go to the Master's...a Final Four...a classic World Series game ....and the seventh game of a Stanley cup in my lifetime. All eventful experiences. i will never forget. Keeneland in Lexington is on the very top of my "to do" lists....and Del Mar is next.