PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Boxing

dav4463
08-14-2008, 03:21 AM
It is almost unwatchable due to the "know it all" Teddy Atlas and his partner. Not one second goes by without them bitching about the referee or the judges.

I like the scoring system. 3 of 5 judges have to agree that a punch counts within one second or so of it happening. Sure they miss some, but that's going to happen. If two judges do not think it should score and one of the other ones misses it....no points....or maybe only two think it should score...no points. It has to be a good solid punch for 3 of 5 to score it.

Atlas is the worst though. Every single fight, every single second.....his constant whining about the judging and the referee is making me turn the channel !

Marshall Bennett
08-14-2008, 09:58 AM
Boxing is practically a dead sport at all levels

magwell
08-14-2008, 11:09 AM
Boxing is practically a dead sport at all levels Years from now people will look back at boxing after its banned and say wow those were some crazy times, two people in a ring trying to kill each other and thousands of others watching and cheering them on

dav4463
08-14-2008, 05:28 PM
Years from now people will look back at boxing after its banned and say wow those were some crazy times, two people in a ring trying to kill each other and thousands of others watching and cheering them on

So how do you explain the popularity of ultimate fighting? It's growing bigger each year and it is a lot more brutal than boxing. Even professional wrestling which is staged appears to be brutal, but the storylines and personalities make it still one of the highest rated events on television and continues to fill arenas.

Boxing is a great sport, but like horseracing, it is not properly marketed where it can compete against all the bigger-hyped sports. We don't know the boxers anymore like we used to know Foreman, Ali, Frazier, Norton, Leonard, Hagler, Hearns, Duran, etc.

Tennis fell in the same boat for a while after McEnroe, Borg, and Conners were no longer playing at a high level, but is making a bit of a comeback now with some rising stars like Nadal and Ivanovich. Nadal vs. Federer has become a lot like the old Borg/McEnroe/Conners battles.

Boxing needs to promote the fighters more. Make sure the public knows something about the guys. A couple of no-names in the ring will not draw people back to the sport.

There is a lot more to compete with today for the entertainment dollar, but there is still definitely a spot for great boxing, great tennis, or great horseracing.

Boxing just needs a strong personality or a good rivalry that can capture the imagination of the public the way Big Brown did in the Triple Crown or the way Nadal vs. Federer does in tennis.

RaceBookJoe
08-14-2008, 10:13 PM
For some reason, ever since Roy Jones got screwed in Seoul, i have a hard time watching boxing. To me, the only way boxing could reddem itself and get away from crappy decisions is to get away from decisions...just keep boxing until someone cant continue. Unfortunately, that would be too barbaric in some cases. If i need to see someone cheated out of a win, i will watch pro wrestling....at least i know they next week will be a revenge match haha. rbj