PDA

View Full Version : xp2008 virus scam ?

exactaplayer
08-13-2008, 01:05 PM
Hello,
I am getting a message warning you have 700 + virus's click here to get virus removal software. I also get an icon with XP2008 on it. When I click I am asked for credit card number etc. I have run adware and spybot and got rid of this but it comes back. Anyone know a link where I can get help with this ?

KyRacer
08-13-2008, 03:07 PM
Google turned up some links. This might help.

Removing Antivirus xp2008 (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/malware-removal/remove-antivirus-xp-2008)

Dave Schwartz
08-13-2008, 03:15 PM
Look for something in the message that comes up like an exe file or something, then do a google for that. You will probably get some hits.

I had something like this once. Basically, I was being held hostage. Someone had successfully installed a virus or trojan on my machine and was going to charge me money to remove it.

People should go to prison for this.

JustRalph
08-13-2008, 04:47 PM
browser hijack. You need to get the name of the website or whatever that is trying to sell you........ then do your google search

equicom
08-13-2008, 05:13 PM
These ones are notoriously hard to get rid of. Time to start backing up your files and e-mails etc.

Then you probably should reformat the drive and reinstall Windows and other applications. That's the safest option.

JustRalph
08-13-2008, 07:18 PM
These ones are notoriously hard to get rid of. Time to start backing up your files and e-mails etc.

Then you probably should reformat the drive and reinstall Windows and other applications. That's the safest option.

unless it is a well known animal that has a "cleaner" available. backups etc should be done, but don't panic yet.

dutchboy
08-13-2008, 08:03 PM
http://www.lancelhoff.com/2008/02/22/how-to-remove-xp-antivirus-protection/

It appears you may have a serious problem but the link should give you instructions on how to fix it.

Google and Yahoo search turns up a lot of information.