PDA

View Full Version : Adpa.com and their Focus2000

waytogo
08-11-2008, 08:16 PM
Hello All,

Does anyone here have any alternative contacts to adpa besides their email and the phone number on their website.

I ordered their 3 track version back in April and it took days to receive the activation file.

In May I travelled to England and when I returned the Software refused to run with an error saying that the software was not for my computer?

My comuter had not changed, no new software/hardware etc.

Since then I have emailed them dozens of times, both asking for a new activation file ( I would also like this on another computer which is allowed) and to fix the problem that I have with my laptop. No replies have been received and its now approaching mid august.

I have also phone their number approx 20-30 times, most of the time there is no answer and a few time left messages. Still no response.

Are these folks crooks?

Dave Schwartz
08-11-2008, 10:27 PM
As I recall, they are near me... Dayton, Minden or Gardnerville (Nevada), I think.

If you have a physical address, I can check it out next time I am in that direction. (It is over 1 hr so it might not be anytime soon.)

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

dutchboy
08-11-2008, 10:28 PM
I have the program but do not use it much. It has always been my impression that ADPA is a one person operation in the 10+ years I have used their product.

The website appear to still be operating. Strange thing is the reduced price advertised expired on March 31st.

So I assume they may be out of business if you have the correct phone number and email address and they do not respond. You may want to verify it by checking the website. The few times I called or emailed in the past I always received a reply the same or the next day but I have not had contact with ADPA this year.

Guess a clue as to how they were doing was that I paid over $500 for the program and it was advertised a few months ago on the ADPA website for $49.00

Selling a product that has been reduced 90% in price is not a good sign.

waytogo
08-11-2008, 11:42 PM
Dave, thanks, but I only have the PO box that states on their site. As dutchboy says, it sounds like a one man band and could be working away from home. But, yet again why would the answering machine be on sometimes an not another?

Dutchboy, $49... I think I paid $57 in April. So the prices seem to move up and down.

I have tried to undelete and re-install and copy the email activation file, but still it does not work. I have even searched the registry after another uninstall to remove any adpa or focus elements. Still no luck.

The email activation file is a database file and the file is changed as soon as you try to open the program. I even tried to write protect that file but that caused a program crash.

The emails, phone call, undeletes, help searches and all the rest make me fume as I was building a dataset for the mountain (ok dont laugh), Charlie Town, and Philly (ok now you can laugh).

posttime
08-12-2008, 12:47 AM
I have the same problem with adp focus 2000. they refuse to communicate with me in any way. I have sent a couple of rough emails expressing my frustration with them but nothing happens. SO here i sit with softwate and no wauy to run it.

I would like to get my activation code so I could run but after that I would not do any business with them and would yell every one to stay clear.

Tom Barrister
08-12-2008, 03:30 AM
I've done business with ADPA, and in my opinion, they aren't reliable and aren't to be trusted.

In addition, their program is worthless, in my opinion. It looks for pace factor trends in the past X (defaults to 15) races, broken down by various parameters (track, distance, surface, etc.). The whole thing smacks of backfitting and very small sample sizes, and I doubt it's been updated or improved much in the past ten years.

dartman51
08-12-2008, 08:06 AM
Hello All,

Does anyone here have any alternative contacts to adpa besides their email and the phone number on their website.

I ordered their 3 track version back in April and it took days to receive the activation file.

In May I travelled to England and when I returned the Software refused to run with an error saying that the software was not for my computer?

Since then I have emailed them dozens of times, both asking for a new activation file ( I would also like this on another computer which is allowed) and to fix the problem that I have with my laptop. No replies have been received and its now approaching mid august.

I have also phone their number approx 20-30 times, most of the time there is no answer and a few time left messages. Still no response.

Are these folks crooks?

I have the Focus2000 program, had a computer melt down about 6 months ago and had to reload my program, when I requested the activation code I got it the next day, but I had to send them the original order number. When I get home tonight I will check to make sure that is what they asked for ad post back here.

Profiler8
08-12-2008, 02:01 PM
I got the same failure message in the software. I have not tried to e-mail them as yet, so I can not say, if they respond. But I will try to contact them.

jhilden
08-12-2008, 04:14 PM
I was building a dataset for the mountain (ok dont laugh), Charlie Town, and Philly (ok now you can laugh).

No need to laugh. MNR, CT and PHA are my primary tracks that I play. They have been like an ATM machine this month.

adt57
08-12-2008, 07:27 PM
To:All

I have focus 2000 ten track and it will not work on my laptop or desktop.
I have e-mailed and called and there has been no responds at either place-----
so I to have no software. adt57

dutchboy
08-12-2008, 07:34 PM
I still have the Sharp handheld scientific computer that I bought from ADPA with their ULTRA63 program installed maybe 15 years ago.

Amazing how computers and handicapping has changed in the past 20 years.

adt57
08-12-2008, 07:41 PM
CAN SOMETHING BE DONE ABOUT--- ADPA OR TO REPORT NO SERVICE-SO IT CAN BE TAKEN OFF THE NET?

dutchboy
08-12-2008, 08:14 PM
whois search on their internet host shows john@adpa.com as the contact. Phone number shown is 1-775-246-7043

Someone must be paying the internet host fees. Perhaps they just changed their email address and phone number. I assume if a company goes out of business or stops paying the internet host company will take down the website asap.

Tom Barrister
08-13-2008, 01:33 PM
The person/people behind ADPA seem(s) to have vanished into the ether.

If you like ADPA, try HSH. Like ADPA, it will filter races into subsets (e.g. by race type, distance, surface, track, etc.) through what is called "Dynamic Handicapping". Of course, HSH does it much better, has many more factors to look at, the data is better, and HSH has many more bells and whistles. Also, HSH has excellent technical support, whereas ADPA apparently no longer has any support at all.

dartman51
08-13-2008, 07:32 PM
Hello All,

Are these folks crooks?

I don't know about a phone number but this is the e-mail address that I got a response from: sales@adpa.com
They sent my customer number, which is on the original invoice, IF you still have that. When you enter that into the program, then it can go online to get authorized.

waytogo
08-17-2008, 08:33 PM
I don't know about a phone number but this is the e-mail address that I got a response from: sales@adpa.com
They sent my customer number, which is on the original invoice, IF you still have that. When you enter that into the program, then it can go online to get authorized.

Still no replies to any emails or phone calls. I have tried the sales email, again no reply.

I have sent all the details inc the customer # order # etc.

The online system to get authorized does not work as they used an IP address in the program instead of the domain and that changed some time ago. So, you can submit it and they still have to email you back.

dutchboy
08-17-2008, 09:06 PM
In the 10+ years I used the program they always responded by email or return phone call the same or next day. I have not had a need to contact them in a year.

Something must have happened. A search showed ADPA to be a 2 employee company with estimated 180k in annual sales. Not sure of the source of thise figures.

First time I bought the Focus 2000 program it was almost $600. I doubt if the current price of about 50 would even cover ADPA's expenses.

Might be time just to let ADPA/Focus drift away on to a cloud in cyberspace rather than get upset.

wes
08-18-2008, 01:14 PM
Hello, Your THOROUGHBRED Activation File is Attached. Do this to unlock FOCUS: 1. Copy (do not open) the attached Activation File into your C:\FocusTB folder -- answer YES to Overwrite. 2. Once Activation File is in FOCUS folder do this: start FOCUS, click on HELP menu, click on and read BOTH Activation File menus. 3. That's it, your FOCUS 2000 is now unlocked and ready to use. Make a BACKUP: Copy attached Activation File to a CD-ROM (or any other media) as a backup and label the CD-ROM (or any other media) so you know which computer this Activation File is for.

This was the last email received form ADPA Dated 4-15-08. Have not been able to contact them in the last three months.

wes

podonne
08-18-2008, 03:07 PM
Something must have happened. A search showed ADPA to be a 2 employee company with estimated 180k in annual sales. Not sure of the source of thise figures.

dutchboy, where did you search for these numbers?

wes
08-18-2008, 05:20 PM
ADPA Systems • PO Box 460 • Dayton, NV 89403

Voice: 1 775 246 7043 Mon-Fri 9am-4pm Pacific time

Sales E-mail: sales@adpa.com

wes

dutchboy
08-18-2008, 07:27 PM
dutchboy, where did you search for these numbers?

http://www.manta.com/coms2/dnbcompany_cd0pbw9

beaucap1
08-26-2008, 01:43 PM
Having the same problem as some of you are. Not getting any response from John Cole and or ADPA. Seems like maybe filing bk or ran out of customers. I don't know about anyone else but, i was having success with the program. I still have it on my laptop. I hope he comes to his senses and start answering the phone and e-mail.

MitchS
08-26-2008, 07:20 PM
IMHO...I gave Focus 2000 a test drive back closer to the year 2000, built models and everything. Found that it just plain didn't work for me... Don't you think that if they had any viable software that was evolving with a decent user group that they'd be up to at least Focus 2008 by now :D

dutchboy
08-26-2008, 09:26 PM
They always used a build number which changed when the software was improved but they did not change the name Focus 2000.

I never had the patience to use the sort models. For many years I only bet graded stake races using the final time speed figure or the Total Pace figure provided in the Focus 2000 program. Now everyone has access to Total Pace and speed figures.

When they started cutting the price I assumed something was up. What cost me about $550 when first released was reduced at point recently to less than 50. 90% off is not a good sign.

Does anyone know how long a website remains operating if a company is out of business? Could you start a website and pay the website host upfront for a couple of years and the website would keep running even if the company or people are long gone.

Donnie
08-27-2008, 01:15 AM
Dutch-
yes. and it appears that www.adpa.com is paid up thru 2012. Here is the info....can be found out about any website.

http://who.godaddy.com/WhoIs.aspx?domain=adpa.com&prog_id=godaddy

Punch in the verification code on the first page (upper right) and then scroll down the data page. Same contact info as posted above.

Tom Barrister
08-27-2008, 01:53 AM
All GoDaddy tells you is that the domain name is paid for through 2012.

Many hosting sites have annual packages. It's possible that ADPA paid for their site on an annual basis. Many webhosts will allow a one or two month grace period for customers who are late in paying, longer for longtime customers.

dutchboy
08-27-2008, 07:15 PM
Guess that means someone could set up or buy a company with a website and pay the web host fee for a number of years in the future.

Then they set back and collect credit card numbers with expiration dates along with the persons name and address. The majority of people would never know how the info got out there.

Tough to know who is legit.

Dave Schwartz
08-27-2008, 10:13 PM
Minor correction... That pays for the rights to the domain name. It does not pay for the hosting of the website, although many people pay for that annually as well.

Dave Schwartz

dutchboy
01-10-2009, 03:01 PM
I just clicked on the ADPA website and received a red screen warning that this is considered an "attack site with software that will try to install to steal private information" First time I have seen something like this.

I used the program for quite a while but lost access to it when I bought a new computer and did not want to buy it again.

dartman51
01-10-2009, 08:30 PM
I just clicked on the ADPA website and received a red screen warning that this is considered an "attack site with software that will try to install to steal private information" First time I have seen something like this.

I used the program for quite a while but lost access to it when I bought a new computer and did not want to buy it again.

I just sent an e-mail to the address that I used in my last correspondence with them. I had to get a permanent activation file. I sent the request on 12/31/2007, they responded on 1/07/08 with an apology for taking so long to answer, as they were closed from 12/24/07 to 1/04/08. I thought that was pretty fair. I use the program for AQU only. All of the testing I did, that was the track that did the best. If they respond, I will post it here. I told them there were people on this board that was wondering what happened to them.

headhawg
01-10-2009, 10:22 PM
I also sent them an email regarding activation about the same time that this thread started. Guess what? Nada. It figures that a company with a stupid product activation system to be used as "copy protection" doesn't respond to emails, and leaves customers in the lurch.

Rwahi1
01-25-2009, 10:57 AM
Hello,

There site is working fine now. I was just there. :)

headhawg
01-25-2009, 11:53 AM
I just went there, and adpa.com shows up in Firefox as a suspicious site just like dutchboy reported earlier. It's possible that the domain name has expired and some unscrupulous person(s) snatched it up for malicious purposes. Visit at your own risk.

dartman, I'm assuming that the dates you posted are off by a year???

dutchboy
01-25-2009, 12:29 PM
Safe Browsing

Diagnostic page for adpa.com

What is the current listing status for adpa.com?

Site is listed as suspicious - visiting this web site may harm your computer.

Part of this site was listed for suspicious activity 3 time(s) over the past 90 days.

What happened when Google visited this site?

Of the 29 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 7 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2009-01-22, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2009-01-22.Malicious software includes 151 scripting exploit(s). Successful infection resulted in an average of 0 new processes on the target machine.

Malicious software is hosted on 2 domain(s), including gogo2me.net/ (http://safebrowsing.clients.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?client=Firefox&hl=en-US&site=gogo2me.net/), 94.247.2.0/ (http://safebrowsing.clients.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?client=Firefox&hl=en-US&site=94.247.2.0/).

1 domain(s) appear to be functioning as intermediaries for distributing malware to visitors of this site, including gogo2me.net/ (http://safebrowsing.clients.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?client=Firefox&hl=en-US&site=gogo2me.net/).

This site was hosted on 1 network(s) including AS11798 (BLUEHOST) (http://safebrowsing.clients.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?client=Firefox&hl=en-US&site=AS:11798).

Has this site acted as an intermediary resulting in further distribution of malware?

Over the past 90 days, adpa.com did not appear to function as an intermediary for the infection of any sites.

Has this site hosted malware?

No, this site has not hosted malicious software over the past 90 days.

How did this happen?

In some cases, third parties can add malicious code to legitimate sites, which would cause us to show the warning message.

Next steps:

Return to the previous page. (http://safebrowsing.clients.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?client=Firefox&hl=en-US&site=http://www.adpa.com/#)
If you are the owner of this web site, you can request a review of your site using Google Webmaster Tools (http://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/). More information about the review process is available in Google's Webmaster Help Center (http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=45432).
Updated 5 hours ago
©2008 Google - Google Home (http://www.google.com/)

Rwahi1
01-25-2009, 01:50 PM
I just went there, and adpa.com shows up in Firefox as a suspicious site just like dutchboy reported earlier. It's possible that the domain name has expired and some unscrupulous person(s) snatched it up for malicious purposes. Visit at your own risk.

dartman, I'm assuming that the dates you posted are off by a year???

Oh! O!....I used Internet Explorer! I did noticed some active x getting installed. I even bought one of there product. I got an email from them, saying my purchase will be emailed to me within 48 hrs.

I got to run malware scanners and see what I find! Lousy Mcafee Siteadvisor
gave a green. :confused:

dutchboy
01-25-2009, 02:05 PM
Oh! O!....I used Internet Explorer! I did noticed some active x getting installed. I even bought one of there product. I got an email from them, saying my purchase will be emailed to me within 48 hrs.

I got to run malware scanners and see what I find! Lousy Mcafee Siteadvisor
gave a green. :confused:

McAfee on my laptop puts up a red warning screen and blocks access to the ADPA website. Not sure why that did not happen with you.

Rwahi1
01-25-2009, 02:46 PM
McAfee on my laptop puts up a red warning screen and blocks access to the ADPA website. Not sure why that did not happen with you.

I don't know why I got the green screen. I typed the address on the address
bar, instead of going through Google. Now...when I use FireFox the site is blocked!

I am running all my security scanners right now. I am going to get to the bottom of this.

Dave Schwartz
01-25-2009, 05:31 PM
Rwahi,

Your avatar about drove me nuts until I figured out there really wasn't an ant running amuck on my screen.

Very cool.

Dave

dutchboy
01-25-2009, 06:32 PM
Norton shows the website to contain 8 different trojan horse's.

Rwahi1
01-25-2009, 08:23 PM
Rwahi,

Your avatar about drove me nuts until I figured out there really wasn't an ant running amuck on my screen.

Very cool.

Dave
Hi Dave,

You like my avatar...Ah! Thanks.
How are you?
I still have your software on my computer. It has expired though. Now I am a weekend warrior and I can't afford HDW downloads anymore.

I wish you the best for the New Year!

Rwahi1
01-25-2009, 08:47 PM
Norton shows the website to contain 8 different trojan horse's.

I ran SuperAntiSpyware and MalwareBytes. Both found nothing on my computer. Now I am running TrojanHunter. It is one of the best anti-trojan
software. We will see how it goes. I also have Malware Defender and System
Safety Monitor active all the time. They gave me no warning. I am crossing my fingers. I hope I am ok.

Dutchboy...if you write the address(ww..ad...co.) in the address bar in IE
then Mc.Siteadvisor gives green screen. I tried this in a another computer
in a shadow mode. It still gives green screen.

Dave Schwartz
01-25-2009, 10:35 PM
I still have your software on my computer. It has expired though. Now I am a weekend warrior and I can't afford HDW downloads anymore.

Raman?

I should have known it was you.

If you ever want to come back, just let me know. Uou are always welcome.

Dave

dutchboy
01-25-2009, 11:20 PM
I just typed www.adpa.com in the address bar using IE7. The adpa site came up immediately followed almost immediately by a message that Mcafee had removed a trojan horse and it closed the window. This all occured in about five seconds.

I then used firefox and mcafee blocked the website as I mentioned before. Something must be amiss. If you did purchase something you may want to check with your credit card provider asap as I think you mentioned you had placed an order that was acknowledged.

I ran SuperAntiSpyware and MalwareBytes. Both found nothing on my computer. Now I am running TrojanHunter. It is one of the best anti-trojan
software. We will see how it goes. I also have Malware Defender and System
Safety Monitor active all the time. They gave me no warning. I am crossing my fingers. I hope I am ok.

Dutchboy...if you write the address(ww..ad...co. (http://ww..ad...co.)) in the address bar in IE
then Mc.Siteadvisor gives green screen. I tried this in a another computer
in a shadow mode. It still gives green screen.

Rwahi1
01-26-2009, 12:25 AM
If you did purchase something you may want to check with your credit card provider asap as I think you mentioned you had placed an order that was acknowledged.

Dutchboy...LOL I am not worried atall. The credit card I use for internet purchase is always close to max. This way I figure....the bad guys cannot rob me. I had $25 left on the card and I bought some stupid thing from adpa for $12. Thanks for your concern. Now I got to see what I will get for that money( probebly 12 trojans :jump: )

Well....I finished with all the scanning( SuperAntiSpyware,MalwareBytes,Trojan
Hunter,Nod32Antivirus ). My computer comes up clean. I will wait for 3 or 4 days to see how this computer behaves before feeling comfortable with it.

nforsor
03-15-2009, 01:33 PM
do you want to sell it?

dartman51
03-15-2009, 01:46 PM
Dutchboy...LOL I am not worried atall. The credit card I use for internet purchase is always close to max. This way I figure....the bad guys cannot rob me. I had $25 left on the card and I bought some stupid thing from adpa for $12. Thanks for your concern. Now I got to see what I will get for that money( probebly 12 trojans :jump: )

Well....I finished with all the scanning( SuperAntiSpyware,MalwareBytes,Trojan
Hunter,Nod32Antivirus ). My computer comes up clean. I will wait for 3 or 4 days to see how this computer behaves before feeling comfortable with it.

TROJAN'S, never leave home without them.:lol:

wookie
04-10-2009, 09:18 PM
I sent a letter and it came back to sender mail box closed .
I sent it back in january & received it in march

beaucap
04-13-2009, 09:43 AM
There are 10,000 stories in the Adpa.com city. A lot of us have heard them all. Somewhere out there Mr. John Cole is probably writing a new software program. The horse racing community will still live on. Now really has anyone made a lot of money off his Focus 2000. I have worked on it for 2 years, changing the setting many times over and over, still with no great results. There are some good programmers out there doing a great job in trying to help the professional horse handicappers, and they deserve our recognition....... Bad John:mad:

dutchboy
04-13-2009, 11:10 AM
Using the default setting track the horse that is on top in u-std, u-chk, and total pace. Best if that horse is 1-2 lengths clear of the second rated horse in all three catagories. Sometimes it works if a horse is rated second in all three catagories.

The U-chk speed ratings also work pretty good for stake races if you bet the top 2 and they have a 1 length seperation form the #3 horse. Several years ago I was only betting this and turned 50 in to 2 grand.

If you remember the year of the fixed pick 6 breeders cup fiasco the top 2 Total Pace won 5 of the 6 races including the bomb in the last race.

There are 10,000 stories in the Adpa.com city. A lot of us have heard them all. Somewhere out there Mr. John Cole is probably writing a new software program. The horse racing community will still live on. Now really has anyone made a lot of money off his Focus 2000. I have worked on it for 2 years, changing the setting many times over and over, still with no great results. There are some good programmers out there doing a great job in trying to help the professional horse handicappers, and they deserve our recognition....... Bad John:mad:

headhawg
04-13-2009, 11:51 AM
Somewhere out there Mr. John Cole is probably writing a new software program.Yeah, probably a rehash of Focus under a new name. And I know that if I see it available I feel it will be my obligation to create a new thread warning people of the situation that occurred with Focus and its stupid copy protection.

I have a new policy -- if there is any kind of computer-specific DRM scheme, then I will not purchase the software. I don't like paying for something and then not be able to use it because it won't install on my new computer.

dartman51
04-13-2009, 12:14 PM
Yeah, probably a rehash of Focus under a new name. And I know that if I see it available I feel it will be my obligation to create a new thread warning people of the situation that occurred with Focus and its stupid copy protection.

I have a new policy -- if there is any kind of computer-specific DRM scheme, then I will not purchase the software. I don't like paying for something and then not be able to use it because it won't install on my new computer.

I agree 100%. I have 2 such programs, fortunately the author of 1 of them has been kind enough to give me permanent authorization codes for both my laptop and PC. The FOCUS program is predicated on a specified number of INSTALLS from the disk. If you know how to change that number you can get around the problem. I have a permanent license number for my disk, but no more installs available. I liked the program and still use it for SOME races. In my experience, it never worked well for TURF or MAIDENS.

PaceAdvantage
04-13-2009, 08:41 PM
I have a new policy -- if there is any kind of computer-specific DRM scheme, then I will not purchase the software. I don't like paying for something and then not be able to use it because it won't install on my new computer.If these guys don't protect their software, then you can look forward to no new software.

Hell, even EA Sports has stopped making many PC sports titles because of rampant piracy. They're a huge company.

Imagine the impact of piracy on a small-fry handicapping software operation.

How would you suggest they defend themselves against piracy?

headhawg
04-13-2009, 09:10 PM
I'm not suggesting that they stop protecting their software. Publishers need to find other ways to do so, not the computer-specific based protections. There is a sports text sim company called Wolverine Studios. They are small, and they use a company called eLicense for their DRM. I have had no problems with this licensing scheme even when my computer crashed -- twice. I provided them with my order information and they freed up my license so that I could reinstall/use the software again.

Do you think that it's fair that many of us have a legitimate copy of Focus and are unable to use it because the company is out of business and we can't get around the protection?

And besides.. copy protection doesn't work. If the pirates want it, they get it. Fortunately for the publishers, the demand is not that great for handicapping software.

PaceAdvantage
04-13-2009, 09:51 PM
Fortunately for the publishers, the demand is not that great for handicapping software.You should be on my end of things. There are some major pirates out there in handicapping land...books, software, etc.

You make a valid point, but then again, Focus2000 is an old program, so the copy protection is probably old as well...

headhawg
04-14-2009, 12:00 AM
I guess that I did not realize that there was that much piracy, although I suspected some of that with certain Ebay auctions.

And the funny thing for me is that I am not that interested in Focus. It's more of the principle of the thing.

dutchboy
04-14-2009, 02:16 PM
I found a website in England that promotes software and tipping services. Eight of the nine seem to be based in England based on the writing and url address.

The other one was Adpa.com with their Focus 2000 program. Maybe Adpa moved to Europe.

Rwahi1
04-18-2009, 09:58 PM
:cool: TROJAN'S, never leave home without them.:lol:

You are funny!
By the way my credit card never got charged. So no Trojan's...I guess I will have to get them from my neighbourhood bodega.

beaucap
04-26-2009, 09:09 PM
Well i figure that if a company doesn't believe in their product, neither should i. I had a 10 race Focus 2000 Harness program. Like everyone else i tried to get them to respond about the software. You all know what happened, NOTHING..............
Well i figured it's time to deleted it from my computer, and so i did and you know what, i feel good about it. So the moral of the story is you win some and you lose some, but i won't lose any more from a Focus 2000 program.

Celent
05-05-2009, 09:55 PM
How would you suggest they defend themselves against piracy?

Call the Indian navy!

Dave Schwartz
05-05-2009, 11:03 PM
Maybe Adpa moved to Europe.

Yeah, from Dayton, NV to Europe.

Do you have any idea where that is?

:lol:

It is out there... just a few miles down the road from... civilization.
(Their primary export is dust.)
(The local high school's nickname is the Dust Devils. Seriously.)

DeadHeat
05-11-2009, 02:44 AM
For a few weeks now, I have tried to locate the missing John Cole from ADPA. I live about 30-40 miles from Dayton, NV so I have tried local searches but keep coming up empty.

On March 27, 2008 I sent an email to ADPA because I had noticed a problem with the website but never heard back from anyone.

There was a John Cole recently that was arrested for murder but they said he was from California.

I am more curious than anything else about what happened. I am thinking maybe after it has been this long that he is sitting with his girlfriend named Bubba in a cell somewhere?

DH

dutchboy
05-11-2009, 07:25 PM
ADPA was based in CA when I first bought their software. They moved to Dayton , NV a few years ago.

For a few weeks now, I have tried to locate the missing John Cole from ADPA. I live about 30-40 miles from Dayton, NV so I have tried local searches but keep coming up empty.

On March 27, 2008 I sent an email to ADPA because I had noticed a problem with the website but never heard back from anyone.

There was a John Cole recently that was arrested for murder but they said he was from California.

I am more curious than anything else about what happened. I am thinking maybe after it has been this long that he is sitting with his girlfriend named Bubba in a cell somewhere?

DH

Roger
05-11-2009, 09:21 PM
They were in Dayton Nevada as far back as 3/2002...I still have the box the software was shipped in..postmarked 3/16/2002...Had to be more than a few years ago!

dartman51
05-11-2009, 11:54 PM
They were in Dayton Nevada as far back as 3/2002...I still have the box the software was shipped in..postmarked 3/16/2002...Had to be more than a few years ago!

They were still in operation in January 14, of 2008, as that is when they sent me a number so I could re-install the program on a new pc. At that time I commucated with them through e-mail.

dutchboy
05-12-2009, 07:34 PM
It was around 1986 when I first purchased their Sharp scientific programable hand help pc with the T'bred Pro program loaded.

dartman51
05-13-2009, 12:40 PM
If anyone's interested, I posted selections from FOCUS2000, in the selections thread, for BEL & CD.

DeadHeat
05-14-2009, 05:39 PM
I had to go into the next county (Lyon) today so I stopped by the Lyon County Sheriff substation. They have had no dealings with a John Cole matching his address that is on his business license according to them. They do have a street address which I guess is on his business license, but they cannot tell me what it is. His license is paid up thorugh the year.

Now, if anyone is out any money, we can call the business license people and get an investigation going. I have the number and will PM if anyone who needs it.

DH

scott2178
05-18-2009, 06:59 PM
i own the focus 2000 software since 2001. its possable john cole has passed away? please respond if want. scott

DeadHeat
05-18-2009, 10:32 PM
I have checked the obits here and can find nothing. It does seem that "something" has happened though.

DH

ezhillatl
07-08-2009, 06:08 PM
John cole what happen to you???????? How about least making the software able to work on any computer.......I have been with your software since 1988 if you cant do it any more sell it!!!!!!!!!! You had to have a passion about handcapping to make your own software where are you???????? John Cole it least make some contact with the people who supported you.....Mr John Cole What happen dude?????????? I know you see all these people trying to look for you come out of hidding!!!!!!! John Cole of Adpa Systems you are a trip!!!!!!........Put the software and rights up for sale and let someone take it to the next level dude.....!!!!!! Adpa focus owners we need to start a facebook group so we can hunt down and bring John Cole to Justice!!!! Look me up under facebook/ezhillatl and become request to be a freind and we all start a movement against Adpa software & John Cole......My name is Phillip HILL in Ga Look to hear from you bye........

Tom Barrister
07-08-2009, 09:31 PM
They've been in Dayton since at least 1996 (source: webarchive.org).

Mr. Cole would be 60 now (source: ussearch.com). It's possible that he's passed on. If so, his record hasn't been listed in the Social Security Death Index (there is no John Cole listed born in 1948 or 1949 who has died in 2008 or 2009).

I would imagine that the security algorithm could be broken in about two hours. The problem is that it's not legal to do that; even if the author has passed on, the copyright is still in effect.

Dave Schwartz
07-09-2009, 02:31 AM
Adpa Systems
Dayton, NV 89403

Phone: (775) 246-7043

Is the phone number dead?

dartman51
07-09-2009, 08:38 AM
Adpa Systems
Dayton, NV 89403

Phone: (775) 246-7043

Is the phone number dead?

" We're sorry, the number you dialed, has been disconnected, or is no longer in service."

davesnew
07-09-2009, 09:16 AM
I recently upgraded my greyhound program from the 3 track to the 10 track and as of yet have not received the download for the new upgrade. Unless we can find him I am most likely out of my money I spent for the upgrade. The site is certainly active getting money but from that point on nothing!
davesnew

Tom Barrister
07-09-2009, 01:42 PM
I noticed that Google has listed adpa.com as harmful. When visiting adpa.com, I get the following warning in Zonealarm:

Trojan-Downloader.JS.Iframe.azt

Here is a link to a discussion about this malware:

http://forum.kaspersky.com/lofiversion/index.php/t50784.html .

The fact that the main adpa.com page doesn't show up any more (but the malware does, probably means that the site was hacked.

Going to webarchive.org shows that no snapshot of adpa.com exists after December 26, 2007, which means that webarchive.org's crawler couldn't access the default page (the one that is now producing a malicious redirect to another website) since that date.

Logically, one could assume that the site was hacked shortly after December 26, 2007. Since it hasn't been fixed in the interim (the malware still exists), it's also logical to assume that the site has been abandoned (or at least not maintained) since then.

I've contacted the merchant processor (aitsafe.com / mal-e.com) about the difficulty in contacting adpa.com (and the disconnected number), and I've also contacted the hosting provider (hostmonster.com / bluehost.com) about the malware. What either company does is their business.

Based on the above, it's hard to recommend that anybody purchase products from adpa.com

dartman51
07-09-2009, 02:00 PM
Your call worked, Tom, the account has been suspended.:ThmbUp:

Tom Barrister
07-09-2009, 02:26 PM
It took about fifteen minutes.

I got a copy of the source before it was suspended. It's obfuscated javascript. I used an online deobfuscator. I didn't understand everything I saw, but I did understand the redirection to a .ru (Russian) address, probably where the malware payload would be installed on an unprotected machine.

In any case, the owner or authorized representative will need to contact Bluehost before the site goes back online. If the site comes back online in the near future, a few people will want to know why they haven't gotten any service from the owner. If it doesn't, it's probably been abandoned.

alarmo1999
10-03-2009, 10:06 AM
Dear Wes
I saw your post about Adpa Systems did you hear what happened to him. I was wondering if you could help me? I have a problem I purchased the program back in 1999 and July 2008 my computer crashed I did make a backup of the program, but to my disappointment it was only of my data base, not my folder, what ever was in there to run the program. I am trying to find someone that could send me a copy of that folder so I could get up and running again. My name is Bob my email address is I would be very grateful if you could help me!

Bob

jjd333
11-02-2009, 03:11 PM
moving focus to more than one computer is not all that hard, if you have the floppy, however and you do not mind the 5 day trial for ever, you will allways have a full working version and will not lose your data after you reinstall for 5 more days.

wes
11-03-2009, 11:34 AM
Your THOROUGHBRED Activation File is attached‏
Sent: Fri 4/06/07 5:33 PM
To:
1 attachment
focusini.dbf (1.4 KB)

Hello, This THOROUGHBRED Activation File is for Computer ID# 5CAC6CE5 Do this to unlock FOCUS: 1. Quit/Exit FOCUS. 2. Copy attached Activation File into your C:\FocusTB folder -- answer YESto Overwrite. 3. Once Activation File is in FOCUS folder do this: start FOCUS, click onHELP menu, click on and read BOTH Activation File menus. 4. That's it, you're done - FOCUS is now unlocked and ready to use. NOTE: Be advised that if you change the System date on your computer duringyour initial 30 day period FOCUS will revert to a non-working demo.

This was the email received from ADPA 04/06/07.

dartman51
11-03-2009, 04:36 PM
Your THOROUGHBRED Activation File is attached‏
Sent: Fri 4/06/07 5:33 PM
To:
1 attachment
focusini.dbf (1.4 KB)

Hello, This THOROUGHBRED Activation File is for Computer ID# 5CAC6CE5 Do this to unlock FOCUS: 1. Quit/Exit FOCUS. 2. Copy attached Activation File into your C:\FocusTB folder -- answer YESto Overwrite. 3. Once Activation File is in FOCUS folder do this: start FOCUS, click onHELP menu, click on and read BOTH Activation File menus. 4. That's it, you're done - FOCUS is now unlocked and ready to use. NOTE: Be advised that if you change the System date on your computer duringyour initial 30 day period FOCUS will revert to a non-working demo.

This was the email received from ADPA 04/06/07.

Wes, the activation file is computer specific. If you're trying to install on a new computer, you will get a error message stating that fact. If you have a way around that, I would be very interested.

scott2178
02-22-2015, 08:48 PM
Was wondering if doing a complete Migration transfer from the computer hard drive for which the Focas program is on will work on a new computer? If anyone knows please get back too me ty Scott

Inglewood Flamingo
02-23-2015, 02:29 PM
Let's FINALLY put this ADPA Focus thread(s) to rest. I used to follow this program judiciously and spoke with John Cole on a very regular basis in the 90's before he went off the grid.

Anyhow, Ken Massa's HTR Modeler Wizard is 1000 times more than what Focus could have ever been, and he is very much alive and well. The program is free and gets updated on a regular basis as well.

So if you find this type of handicapping approach appealing, looking for recent data/track trends and capitalizing on them, give it a try. Go to the HTR Library and you will find plenty of articles on the software. www.htr2.com.

Good luck.