PDA

View Full Version : more of those LAST THROES

46zilzal
08-11-2008, 01:51 PM
American deaths in Afghanistan war reach 500

By Jason Straziuso / Associated Press

KABUL, Afghanistan - The deadliest three months for American forces in Afghanistan have pushed the U.S. death toll to at least 500, forcing a war long overshadowed by Iraq back into the headlines.

Larger, more sophisticated militant attacks have also caused a sharp rise in Afghan civilian deaths — at least 472 in the first seven months of the year, most in suicide bombings, according to an Associated Press count.

In all, at least 600 Afghan civilians were killed from January through July, a 30 percent increase from the same period last year, according to AP figures compiled from coalition and Afghan officials. That includes at least 128 killed by U.S. or NATO forces.

robert99
08-11-2008, 05:05 PM
Need to recall General J Ralph back to the fray. He gets all his wars over on the same day. Back in the real world, outnumbered and forgotten troops on the borders are 6 weeks on dug -in duty living in shipping containers with just wet wipes for washing. Taliban just walk around them out of gun range. Post traumatic stress of living on your nerves for months at a time is at record highs, 15% in the field are on anti-depressants to keep them there, and 1000 veterans a week attempt suicide.

delayjf
08-11-2008, 05:31 PM
and 1000 veterans a week attempt suicide.
Where did you get that number?

boxcar
08-11-2008, 05:50 PM

Need you ask? :rolleyes:

Boxcar

46zilzal
08-11-2008, 05:51 PM
More poor guys sacrificed for the Rutabaga and the war God told him about. Let's see British tried it, lost and left
Russians tried it, lost and left.......

Not a great field of play there is it. But then old Rummiy had it right "But there are no good targets in Afghanitstan!"

delayjf
08-11-2008, 05:57 PM
Not a great field of play there is it. But then old Rummiy had it right "But there are no good targets in Afghanitstan!"
You're probably right, all the good targets are in Pakistan. I'm in favor of Operation "Taco Bell" - lets make a run for the border.

lsbets
08-11-2008, 06:11 PM

He's posted other made up crap before, his posts are pretty much an automatic disregards unless you want a trip to fantasy land.

robert99
08-11-2008, 06:22 PM

Latest figures on attempts from Department of Veteran Affairs.

As part of lawsuit
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7357909.stm

Previous figures (suicide deaths) in 2005 were:

An average of 18 war veterans kill themselves each day - five of them under Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) care - according to a December e-mail between top department officials that has been filed as part of the federal lawsuit.

The Rand Corporation has recently released a study that shows some 300,000 US troops - about 20% of those deployed - are suffering from depression, or post traumatic stress disorder, after serving in Iraq or Afghanistan.

See also CBS News study (1995 -2005 suicide deaths):
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/11/13/cbsnews_investigates/main3498625.shtml

toetoe
08-11-2008, 06:27 PM
12.6% hit rate. Wow, that's kind of an insult, no ? :faint:

delayjf
08-11-2008, 06:52 PM
An average of 18 war veterans kill themselves each day

So what your saying is that in 2005 - 6570 Vets Killed themselves?? Extrapolate that to the past three years and now @ 20,000 Iraq / Afgan war veterens have killed themselves. So basically in three years the US has lost @ 5 times more American Soldiers (killed) that were involved involved with the War on terror to suicide, than were killed in action? I'm sorry but 20,000 suicide deaths in three years sounds bogus.

Article that questions the CBS report.
http://www.nypost.com/seven/11192007/postopinion/opedcolumnists/cbs_bogus_vet_suicide_stats_262041.htm?page=0

JustRalph
08-11-2008, 11:58 PM
you mean CBS made it up? Come on? Never!!!

hcap
08-12-2008, 06:08 AM
http://www.army.mil/-news/2008/01/31/7222-army-responds-to-rising-suicide-rates/

Army Responds to Rising Suicide Rates

Jan 31, 2008
BY Elizabeth M. Lorge

WASHINGTON (Army News Service, Jan. 31, 2008) - The Army is taking steps to meet the rising suicide rates among Soldiers head-on, the service's top mental-health expert told reporters at the Pentagon today.

......Suicide attempts have also climbed exponentially since the Army began tracking them in 2002, rising from 350 to approximately 2,100 last year, although some non-suicidal self-injuries and a new electronic medical records system may account for part of the increase, said Col. Elspeth C. Richie, psychiatry consultant to the Army's surgeon general.
.................................................. ...................................

Assuming "some non-suicidal self-injuries and a new electronic medical records system may account for part of the increase" lety's say 15% of 2,100 last year, that still leaves close to 1800 last year alone.

Wars are devastating to those who fight. And If some come to believe the Iraqi war an UNJUST war, that much more devastating.

PaceAdvantage
08-13-2008, 03:51 AM
Let's see British tried it, lost and left
Russians tried it, lost and left.......

Not a great field of play there is it. But then old Rummiy had it right "But there are no good targets in Afghanitstan!"And here I thought the far-left actually APPROVED of invading Afghanistan. Now I'm really confused.

In any event, just like that big, bad Iraqi civil war you predicted that never came to pass, I'm sure you're just as wrong in your prediction of "American defeat" in Afghanistan, although I'm sure you'll be hoping and wishing it along as best you can.

hcap
08-14-2008, 06:49 AM
And here I thought the far-left actually APPROVED of invading Afghanistan. Now I'm really confused.

In any event, just like that big, bad Iraqi civil war you predicted that never came to pass, I'm sure you're just as wrong in your prediction of "American defeat" in Afghanistan, although I'm sure you'll be hoping and wishing it along as best you can.Not counting are we? Ignoring for the moment internally displaced refugees, how do you explain the 2 million externally displaced. Bad case of fleas in Baghdad?

Iraq Refugee Crisis

"There are approximately 2 million Iraqi refugees in the Middle East, mainly in Syria but with another big population in Amman. Their money is running out. NGOs have fewer resources for them over time, and visa restrictions are increasing in severity. Many are traumatized and were personally threatened by the militias that took over (and still control) their old neighborhoods. Some are ethnically or religiously mixed families that no longer fit into ethnically cleansed and homogenized neighborhoods. Many lack patronage links to ruling parties and so have no prospect of employment on returning to Iraq. Few Western countries are taking them in. Sweden is the most exemplary, with 40,000. The US has done very little but now says it will take 12,000 asylees this year. A few tens of thousands have returned to Iraq--very, very few, though the al-Maliki government is now offering relocation grants to those who are willing to do so."

lamboguy
08-14-2008, 06:58 AM
i realy don't understand it. i watched the o'reilly factor a few nights ago and he had 2 staunch republicans on his show that said they support "change" with barak obamas

now i wake up and hear that another republican, and a real good one i might add, colin powell, is going to be a "keynote speaker" in the democratic convention in denver.

i always hated the 2 party system, for the record i am voting and betting on john mccain to be the next president.

i guess the only observation i can make is there is no such thing as loyalty these days. the righties can't even get it right!

HUSKER55
08-14-2008, 07:45 AM
and he is not dumb. Maybe he is going to become Obama vp just to keep him in line.

Got to admit, if Obama fell for it, the writing would be on the wall as they say.

Game is not over. :D

husker55

:)

prospector
08-14-2008, 10:22 AM
the "republicans for obama" are the wacky left of the party...we won't miss them

46zilzal
08-14-2008, 10:59 AM
and he is not dumb. Maybe he is going to become Obama vp just to keep him in line.

Got to admit, if Obama fell for it, the writing would be on the wall as they say.

Game is not over.
Poor ol Colin Powell: sells out to the lies going all the way to the UN spouting that "curveball" crap.

Secretariat
08-14-2008, 03:49 PM
Poor ol Colin Powell: sells out to the lies going all the way to the UN spouting that "curveball" crap.

Powell was a dupe, an accessory to the crime, who resigned after getting tired of being used.

PaceAdvantage
08-14-2008, 05:40 PM
now i wake up and hear that another republican, and a real good one i might add, colin powell, is going to be a "keynote speaker" in the democratic convention in denver.As far as I know, this is a myth. News report out 3 hours ago says Powell denies this....

Tom
08-14-2008, 06:57 PM
I heard this afternoon that Joe Lieberman might be speaking at the REPUBLICAN orgy,er, convention. I heard, too, that he is causing Nancy Pelosi much angst. :jump:

Boris
08-14-2008, 07:01 PM
Not counting are we? Ignoring for the moment internally displaced refugees, how do you explain the 2 million externally displaced. Bad case of fleas in Baghdad?

Iraq Refugee Crisis

"There are approximately 2 million Iraqi refugees in the Middle East, mainly in Syria but with another big population in Amman. Their money is running out. NGOs have fewer resources for them over time, and visa restrictions are increasing in severity. Many are traumatized and were personally threatened by the militias that took over (and still control) their old neighborhoods. Some are ethnically or religiously mixed families that no longer fit into ethnically cleansed and homogenized neighborhoods. Many lack patronage links to ruling parties and so have no prospect of employment on returning to Iraq. Few Western countries are taking them in. Sweden is the most exemplary, with 40,000. The US has done very little but now says it will take 12,000 asylees this year. A few tens of thousands have returned to Iraq--very, very few, though the al-Maliki government is now offering relocation grants to those who are willing to do so."

Juan?

http://www.juancole.com/

Page down 3 times on my computer.

hcap
08-14-2008, 08:57 PM
Yes. Cole is much more on target than Faux Noos.
Unless you are a Bill O fan