PDA

View Full Version : Think twice next time you buy something made of gold

highnote
08-10-2008, 10:08 PM
Fascinating story about the gold market.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080810/ap_on_re_af/toiling_for_gold;_ylt=Amp8LpvPmoxL.gMeHrURPM79xg8F

prospector
08-11-2008, 03:38 PM
just another reason to be us....there's few states that don't have gold..anybody who wants to work a little can go out camping on the weekend and dig your own..
plenty of honest refineries who'll buy the gold..
every summer i head for north carolina to stay at a few camps to dig..
wish i still lived in arizona...talk about a golden state!
no better hobby out there

highnote
08-11-2008, 03:51 PM
just another reason to be us....there's few states that don't have gold..anybody who wants to work a little can go out camping on the weekend and dig your own..
plenty of honest refineries who'll buy the gold..
every summer i head for north carolina to stay at a few camps to dig..
wish i still lived in arizona...talk about a golden state!
no better hobby out there

It is a lot of fun to go panning for gold. It's a great outdoor activity. I've done it a few times and have taken my kids along. They enjoy romping in the streams.

I never did find any gold, though. :D

prospector
08-11-2008, 04:38 PM
It is a lot of fun to go panning for gold. It's a great outdoor activity. I've done it a few times and have taken my kids along. They enjoy romping in the streams.

I never did find any gold, though. :D
hint....pan where gold has been found before
if no black sand in your pan...no gold
what state are you in? i can tell you where to go panning for best success

highnote
08-11-2008, 08:21 PM
We panned in Big Thompson Canyon in Rocky Mountain National Park. Lots of black sand. Used a magnet to remove the sand, but I think the gold was of such a small amount that I accidentally washed it away. LOL

We also panned in New Mexico and another man who was panning found a piece of quartz with a small vein of gold running through it. He said he could sell it to a jeweler for more than the gold was worth because of its uniqueness.

prospector
08-11-2008, 11:30 PM
so, you were in colorado...
the man was telling you the truth..gold still in quartz is worth more to rock collectors then the actual gold...
your black sand probably did have gold in it..it takes time to learn to pan for gold..women make the best panners..my wife does all the panning and, of course, i do all the digging...
i suggest you practice with sand and a bb...find the bb and you'll find the small gold..but, its not that easy..you have to learn to read the river to see where the gold is deposited...during high runs of water and when the water level drops...when i lived in las vegas, i went 125 miles into arizona during a thunderstorm into the high desert just to watch where the water ran...best summer i ever had..
watch channel 153 on dish if you get it on saturday mornings for the gold prospecting show..very educational..i'd even recommend you join for $70 bucks the magazines alone are worth it..
what county are you in? i have bunches of claims listed by counties..

highnote
08-11-2008, 11:44 PM
so, you were in colorado...

We live in Connecticut, but we try to take a vacation in Colorado and Wyoming whenever we can.

i suggest you practice with sand and a bb...find the bb and you'll find the small gold..[quote]

Good suggestion. I think the gold I saw in the black sand was about the same size as the grains of black sand -- maybe smaller. But it was exciting to get down to swish the water around in the pan and finally get down to the black sand. It felt like we were doing it right. But no gold.

[quote]but, its not that easy..you have to learn to read the river to see where the gold is deposited...during high runs of water and when the water level drops...when i lived in las vegas, i went 125 miles into arizona during a thunderstorm into the high desert just to watch where the water ran...best summer i ever had..

I remember seeing a documentary about some man who had a theory about how the gold would run down the mountains in Nevada. People thought he was crazy. He used a metal detector and found one of the largest pieces of gold ever.

watch channel 153 on dish if you get it on saturday mornings for the gold prospecting show..very educational..i'd even recommend you join for $70 bucks the magazines alone are worth it..
what county are you in? i have bunches of claims listed by counties..

I don't get get dish network anymore. My neighbor's trees got in the way.

Like I said, I'm in Connecticut, but try to go to Rocky Mountain National Park and parts of Wyoming as frequently as possibile.

Where abouts are you located?

prospector
08-12-2008, 10:51 AM
We live in Connecticut, but we try to take a vacation in Colorado and Wyoming whenever we can.

[quote]i suggest you practice with sand and a bb...find the bb and you'll find the small gold..[quote]

Good suggestion. I think the gold I saw in the black sand was about the same size as the grains of black sand -- maybe smaller. But it was exciting to get down to swish the water around in the pan and finally get down to the black sand. It felt like we were doing it right. But no gold.

I remember seeing a documentary about some man who had a theory about how the gold would run down the mountains in Nevada. People thought he was crazy. He used a metal detector and found one of the largest pieces of gold ever.

I don't get get dish network anymore. My neighbor's trees got in the way.

Like I said, I'm in Connecticut, but try to go to Rocky Mountain National Park and parts of Wyoming as frequently as possibile.

Where abouts are you located?
crush the black sand in a rock tumbler and you'll see the gold..
you live in one of the few states where there is no gold...bummer

i'm stuck in indiana currently (don't ask..sick mother-in-law thing)
there's gold within 50 miles of where i live..can also go to michigan and tenn for gold...usually just wait till summer and spend two months on the rivers highbanking and dredging...heading this fall back to arizona for warmth and gold in the high desert...
try these for fun..
http://www.goldprospectors.org/
http://www.huntforgold.com/ i go here a few weeks every summer..its 10 miles from the lost dutchmans camp where i stay...

the gpaa has great videos..the one you get free for joining can make a panning pro outta you...
enjoy!