PDA

View Full Version : Latest Beyer Article-Uniform Payouts

cj
03-08-2003, 11:54 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A62662-2003Mar8.html

CJ

GameTheory
03-09-2003, 12:45 AM
Nothing new about that, except at Gulfstream apparently.

What is even more idiotic is in the results data files from BRIS & others, it doesn't indicate anywhere what the base wager is for the exotic payouts -- most are $2, but some are $1, some are even $3, so you're just supposed to to know what it is for that particular track for that particular wager type. What good is telling me the payoff if you don't tell me what the bet is?

takeout
03-09-2003, 01:47 AM
I think everything ought to be based on a buck. It would stop the sleazy practice of false pool reporting when there is only one $1 winning ticket out.

andicap
03-09-2003, 07:33 AM
About 5 years ago when I lived in Connecticut, I studied the jai alai results and came up with -- what I thought was -- a great system. I tracked it for 3 months every day and it had a fine profit.

Excited I told it to my racing buddies and one of them instantly burst my balloon. "Was this based on a $2 ticket or a $3 ticket?"

Turns out I was basing it on a $2 bet when the results were on a $3 bet. That shot my system all to hell!

Rick
03-09-2003, 02:53 PM
andicap,

You're not alone. I made the same mistake. Very disappointing.

rrbauer
03-09-2003, 08:08 PM
Beyer:
"Less confusing? Here is the system used in California and copied by Gulfstream: The payoffs for exactas, trifectas, superfectas, pick threes and pick fours are shown as the return for a $1 bet. But win, place, show, daily double, quinella and pick six payoffs are still quoted in a $2 denomination."

Comment:
The consistency here is that the payoffs shown are in relation to the minimum bet amount allowed. Bets which have a $1 minimum reflect payoffs for $1. Bets which have a $2 minimum reflect payoffs for $2.

Maybe you can complain about some bets having $1 minimums and some having $2 minimums and the lack of consistency therein. But, that seems to me to be a different argument than the one being advanced by Beyer.

andicap
03-09-2003, 10:15 PM
I'm confused Richard
New York allows $1 bet, but the payouts are always to $2.

cj
03-09-2003, 10:22 PM
rrbauer,

It doesn't matter which is used, the point is ALL tracks should be the same. How hard could this be? I understand the minimum bet thing, and that's fine, if everyone adopted it. It can be quite confusing to me at times, and I consider myself at least a semi-intelligent.

CJ

rrbauer
03-09-2003, 11:39 PM
How hard could it be? How many tracks/management entities are there? Get them to agree. That's how hard it could be.

I don't know about New York, andicap. My post was specific to Beyer's comment about California and Gulfstream. Beyer's article complains about the way payoffs are posted and then goes on to say that there is no consistency when some payoffs are posted based on $1 bets and some are posted based on $2 bets. I tried to point out that there was a consistency and that it was based on the minimum bet amount.

This is one of those things that could be bitched about until we're all pushing up daisies. I find it to be petty and insignificant.

It's not going to change because of you. It's not going to change because of me. And, it's not going to change because of some Andy Beyer column.

rrbauer
03-10-2003, 05:22 AM
andicap:
After I thought about your post about New York and $1 bets and $2 payoffs, I thought maybe I had been missing something with regard to the NYRA P6, if I could bet it for a $1. I went to the NYRA web site and found the link to "NYRA Wagering":

"$1 minimum on ALL wagers except Pick 6; $2 minimum on Pick 6."

Darn!