PDA

View Full Version : I think Big Brown should race Curlin in a 2 horse win betting only match race.

kyle2227
08-05-2008, 05:33 PM
Okay I know this idea is really crazy and would never happen in a million years and lot of you might bash me for even suggesting it. But I think it would be really cool to have a 2 horse win betting only match race, Curlin vs Big Brown. There have not been many match races in a wile and I think it would be cool to see. Ok it may not be the true "test of a champion" but heck I think it would be an interesting race.

46zilzal
08-05-2008, 05:52 PM
If you look at the major match races: Zev/Papyrus, Seabiscuit/War Admiral, Swaps/Nashua, Typecast/Convenience, the aborted Foolish Pleasure/Ruffian match or in the match races within a race; Alydar/Affirmed, Affirmed/Spectacular Bid, Sunday Silence/Easy Goer, there is a decided advantage to being on top over coming off the pace.

THAT would be Big Brown's only advantage. Straight up in a regular contest, the son of Smart Strike would wipe him out....Might even do it in the match race as well.

cj
08-05-2008, 05:56 PM
That would put Big Brown in front with Curlin lapped just outside him. If he doesn't like racing inside horses as you say, he has virtually no chance in a match race.

46zilzal
08-05-2008, 06:03 PM
That would put Big Brown in front with Curlin lapped just outside him. If he doesn't like racing inside horses as you say, he has virtually no chance in a match race.
good, he will be doubly exposed for what he is.

Investorater
08-05-2008, 07:42 PM
CURLIN:cool:BIG BROWN

Marshall Bennett
08-05-2008, 08:27 PM
Big Brown is a faster horse , Curlin is more mature . I give the edge to Brown . Without any other traffic he'd simply run . Faster is better in this set up . :p

ghostyapper
08-05-2008, 08:36 PM
Big Brown is a faster horse , Curlin is more mature . I give the edge to Brown . Without any other traffic he'd simply run . Faster is better in this set up . :p

Interested to hear what factor you used to determine that BB is faster. I've gone through all of them and couldn't find the one you used.

sandpit
08-05-2008, 11:08 PM
Like you said, probably no chance of it happening. IMHO, I think Curlin's connections would rather not face BB, because they have more to lose: they have the more mature, battle-tested horse, and for some crazy reason that's hard to fathom, Asmussen doesn't want to run Curlin on synthetics because Pyro ran so awful on it in the Blue Grass. A loss by Curlin to BB would devastate them, but if BB loses, his oddball connections have the built-in excuse of getting defeated by an older horse is no disgrace.

I'd say the best chance of the 2 of them meeting is in the Clark Handicap at Churchill Downs about a month after the BC, and even that looks pretty far-fetched.

mylosh
08-06-2008, 01:26 AM
Weren't they going to do this matchup at Suffolk Downs if Big Brown won the Belmont?

Anyways this would be really good for horse racing on a mainstream level. Even throw in Zenyatta for a little extra spice

ratings would go through the roof

Regardless of who would win it would bring national attention to a horse racing event other than a triple crown race.

when was the last major match race anyway?

rufus999
08-06-2008, 12:20 PM
Okay I know this idea is really crazy and would never happen in a million years...

Don't be so sure. Match racing is pure spectacle. There's no logic behind it.
I don't think it will happen because the horses don't match up well. I'd rather see the two of them compete against each other in a larger field. I feel that Curlin is a cut above but only by a slim margin.:cool:

rufus

SMOO
08-06-2008, 12:36 PM
Only if the takeout is 10% or less. I have no interest in betting a 2-5 vs a 4-5.