PDA

View Full Version : Solar Power

hcap
08-05-2008, 05:29 AM
http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/aug2008/2008-08-02-01.asp

Now, if only we could recover some of the money spent in re-making Iraq and the rest of the Mid East in Bushs' image, invest it in stuff like this, we could be on the way to renewable energy.
Solar Power Breakthrough Stores Energy for Later Use

CAMBRIDGE, Massachusetts, August 2, 2008 (ENS) - Within 10 years, homeowners could power their homes in daylight with solar photovoltaic cells, while using excess solar energy to produce hydrogen and oxygen from water to power a household fuel cell. If the new process developed at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology finds acceptance in the marketplace, electricity-by-wire from a central source could be a thing of the past.

PaceAdvantage
08-06-2008, 03:34 AM
Now, if only we could recover some of the money spent in re-making Iraq and the rest of the Mid East in Bushs' image, invest it in stuff like this, we could be on the way to renewable energy.Man, it must be just eating you up inside that the death toll in Iraq is quickly drying up....sucks to be you...

How's the civil war going?

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=339233&postcount=1

hcap
08-06-2008, 06:11 AM
The civil war? Many of it's participants are gone.
4.7 million Iraqis have left their homes, and there is a a huge internal displacement in Iraq. Neighborhoods that used to be mixed Shia and Sunni are now primarily one group. I am not denying that the "surge" and change in tactics contributed, but the reduction in violence also was due to the changing demographics of the refugee crisis

http://www.refugeesinternational.org/content/article/detail/9679

http://www.juancole.com/2008/07/social-history-of-surge.html

As Think Progress quoted CNN correspondent Michael Ware:

' The sectarian cleansing of Baghdad has been — albeit tragic — one of the key elements to the drop in sectarian violence in the capital. […] It’s a very simple concept: Baghdad has been divided; segregated into Sunni and Shia enclaves. The days of mixed neighborhoods are gone. […] If anyone is telling you that the cleansing of Baghdad has not contributed to the fall in violence, then they either simply do not understand Baghdad or they are lying to you.'

http://thinkprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/secviolencechartlarge.gif

"The Shiitization of Baghdad was thus a significant cause of falling casualty rates. But it is another war waiting to happen, when the Sunnis come back to find Shiite militiamen in their living rooms."....Juan Cole
.................................................. .....................................

What about the article on Solar Power?

hcap
08-06-2008, 07:05 AM
http://therealnews.com/t/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=74&jumival=1170

Another reason violence is down.
The Guardian's Ghaith Abdul-Ahad went back to Baghdad to see the effects of last year's troop escalation ("surge")

"I came to investigate the American military's reports that violence was falling in Baghdad, that life in the city is improving, that the US surge has transformed the city. But it has taken me a month just to organize safe passage through my city. It's a journey that would be impossible for a foreign journalist. What I found contradicts all the official reports: Baghdad is a city where one street is at war with the next, where the people are more desperate than I've ever seen them. It has been transformed into a city of walls. There are twenty miles of walls slicing up the Sunni and Shia ghettos, each wall over 12 feet high. They are the main reason why the casualties have fallen, not because peace is on its way.

lsbets
08-06-2008, 07:41 AM
Keep dreaming Hcap, maybe you'll get those high body counts again that get you so excited. Or, you could admit that Gen Petraeus' strategy and our military have performed brilliantly along with the ever improving Iraqi forces and that the civil war you were so excited about did not materialize. Of course you might associate giving that kind of credit to our soldiers somehow with praising Bush, so you'll never do it.

5 soldiers killed in hostile action in July. 5. Even I was surprised at how low the number is. That must disappoint you terribly. Imagine how many folks would be dead had we run away like you wanted? The truth must be hard for you to swallow Hcap.

hcap
08-06-2008, 07:54 AM
I am not denying that the "surge" and change in tactics contributed, but the reduction in violence also was due to the changing demographics of the refugee crisis.

So adding more military and changing tactics was credited.

My other points were the ethnic cleansing and the Guardian article on the Baghdad transformed into a city of walls

Now cut the crap about "those high body counts again that get you so excited", and address the reasons I posted in addition to the surge.

delayjf
08-06-2008, 01:22 PM
Hcap,

I hope they do develop the Solar Power, but even the article says the commercial application is still at least 10 years away, and that's not a guarantee. The US still needs to hedge our bets by developing our own oild reserves here.

My other points were the ethnic cleansing and the Guardian article on the Baghdad transformed into a city of walls
So what, at least they're not killing each other anymore.

Tom
08-06-2008, 02:08 PM
So, Jeff, let's review:

Drill for our own oil - will take 10 years, therefore NO GOOD.
Develope solar power - will take 10 years, so GOOD.
Develope wind mills - will take 8 years and only supply 20% of our electricity - so GOOD
Convert our vehicles to max 85% fuel based in 20 years - so GOOD.

Hmmmm.

Paris Hilton is looking better and better. So far, SHE is the only one who has made any sense. :lol:

RaceBookJoe
08-06-2008, 02:31 PM
So, Jeff, let's review:

Drill for our own oil - will take 10 years, therefore NO GOOD.
Develope wind mills - will take 8 years and only supply 20% of our electricity - so GOOD

Hmmmm.

Paris Hilton is looking better and better. So far, SHE is the only one who has made any sense. :lol:

Tom, i think you are missing the overall plan. In 10 years, we will control the middle east ( remember that everyone will be gone), which means not only do we get the oil, but we have more land to place solar panels. Then the secret weapon comes out....a gigantic magnifying glass to burn Iran with. :lol:

46zilzal
08-06-2008, 02:40 PM
ALWAYS ready to promote even MORE violence and death.

Tom
08-06-2008, 03:08 PM
You once again have totally missed the point.
Do you just react to key words you eye ball scan with 8 Ball answers?

Are you here to kill John Connor? :lol:

JustRalph
08-06-2008, 03:17 PM

only when it is in our best interests............ :lol: :ThmbUp:

Why is it that every new invention or Drug is Ten years away? I have been hearing this shit since I was a kid...... 40 years ago............

Did you ever think the day would come that Paris Hilton would do a commercial promoting a better Agenda than the Dems? :lol:

You can't make this shit up.............. btw, I heard last night that Will Farrell is the one who put Paris up to making the video. So far it's the best damn movie he has ever made.............. :bang:

P.S. Btw, I am in Charlotte today and it is :9: :6: deg........everything in the damn city could be used as a solar panel today......... hot as hell. I am thinking of moving to Houston where it is cooler........... :lol:

RaceBookJoe
08-06-2008, 03:41 PM

Dont jump to conclusions. The point is, by having the best weapon, we hopefully wont have to use it. Think about iran...its the THOUGHT of them having a nuke that scares people. Its like if you threaten me, but you see I have a bigger bat, you will think twice. Once for thinking if attacking is a smart move, and second about the energy distribution of my swing as the bat hits your mouth....just messing with ya. And, in case you have no sense of humor...that post was sarcastic.

delayjf
08-06-2008, 06:11 PM

the problem is we have no guarantee that solar power / wind power will provide as advertised. The sure things NOW are oil and nuclear - we can take the Nucs offline as needed when science catches up.