PDA

View Full Version : Now this is just bad luck!

dav4463
08-05-2008, 12:42 AM
I bet the #1 in the 4th race at Mountaineer tonight. The horse broke from the gate and the jockey fell off ! It looked kind of funny, the horse did break a little awkward, but I think most jockeys could have managed to at least stay on the horse!

HUSKER55
08-05-2008, 09:51 AM
I think it was at Belmont, if memory serves. I bet on 2 horses. The first horse, my pick, bumped the the second horse, also my pick, and the jockey got knocked off the horse. Messed him up a litlle bit. My pick won but was disqualified for bumping the horse at the start and again for bumping a horse in the stretch.

Ok boys and girls, let's hear your best one.

:D

husker55
:)

cj's dad
08-05-2008, 10:06 AM
100+ degrees @ Timonium (no AC) in August; about to bet as they're loading and the teller frigging feints! Can't get my bet in; natrally my wanna be bet wins @ double digit odds; left the track and went across the street to the bar.

ezrabrooks
08-05-2008, 10:31 AM
Several years ago I was playing a race on the West Coast, and had the one horse, who I felt was a live shot in a 7 horse field. There was a miscommunication with the Starter, as when the gates opened, the handlers on the four outside horses weren't ready, and they were pulled out of the gate with their runners. A crazy a start as you have ever seen, horses and handlers all over the track. I remember my horse won in a romp..but can't remember if the race was called a no contest, or the four outside horses were deemed non starters..but, long story short, I was left with getting my money back, and that was about it.

I guess I would have been better off with my Teller fainting... That was funny!

classhandicapper
08-05-2008, 10:36 AM
I had a big win bet on a 10-1 shot and booked a large bet on an odds on favorite (XCHANGE BETTING). My 10-1 shot was taking the lead from the favorite in deep stretch for a nice score and broke down allowing the favorite to win. :bang:

classhandicapper
08-05-2008, 10:39 AM
About 30 years ago I went to AQU. I lost everything I had in my pocket except for my bus fare home. I staggered out of AQU an emotionally beaten young man. I walked to the bus stop and found out that the bus drivers just called a wildcat strike. I had to walk home about 15 miles.

JustRalph
08-05-2008, 10:55 AM
100+ degrees @ Timonium (no AC) in August; about to bet as they're loading and the teller frigging feints! Can't get my bet in; natrally my wanna be bet wins @ double digit odds; left the track and went across the street to the bar.

Wow! That's a good one.............. Wins the prize so far.......... :ThmbUp:

A. Pineda
08-05-2008, 11:52 AM
Had a hunch about a Dynaformer colt which was sold privately and now going off at CD at 50/1 in its 3rd race. Wheeled him in the super with just about everyone in the race. He was leading by daylight around the 1/8 when the jock lost his balance. He grabbed the horse around the neck and tried to hang on. I'm screaming, "Hang on! Hang on!" as he falls to the track around the 1/16.

BIG HIT
08-05-2008, 12:15 PM
Went to harness trk one night which never do because get up early for work.This horse inpressed me so much last race had to go.He was in fifth race but came out after thrid race to work him a bit watch him he looked good turn away then looked back they had meat wagon carting him off he died on trk.Some times thing's aren't meant to be

SMOO
08-05-2008, 12:15 PM
I had a hunch that the 3 horse in the 3rd race would run 3rd, so I put $2 to show on him.

He came in 3rd and paid $2.10.

What was I going to do with a lousy dime? :mad:

MONEY
08-05-2008, 12:29 PM
I lost a bet at a harness track when a horse that I bet on finished in front by about 12 lengths, but passed the finish line on the wrong side of the pylons.:bang:

money

speldedo
08-05-2008, 12:31 PM
What was I going to do with a lousy dime?

I can tell you what you can do with your lousy dime!

SMOO
08-05-2008, 02:15 PM
What was I going to do with a lousy dime?

I can tell you what you can do with your lousy dime!

Play a dime superfecta? :confused:

pic6vic
08-05-2008, 02:21 PM
made a huge Quinella bet in Vegas (when there were house Q's) on GO FOR WAND and PASEANA. They were 7 in front and we were rooting for Paseana as she was the longer price (house Q), when Go for Wand breaks down 70 yards from the finish. OUCH

ryesteve
08-05-2008, 02:36 PM
PASEANABayakoa

dav4463
08-05-2008, 04:25 PM
I have another one! I was in college and between me and my roommate, we came up with $60. Financial aid hadn't kicked in yet!

So what do we do with our $60? Save it?.....No way, Go to Trinity Meadows of course!

We got a cooler, and put in the last of our sandwich meat and bread and some chips to eat after the races if we lose. If we win, we're going to go get a steak! That was the plan anyway.

Well, we lost everything! We got back to the car and found that the cooler lid fell off and the meat spoiled.

We got back to the apartment, dug up some change and ate bean burritos at Taco Bell for the next two days that weekend until the financial aid came through!

cj's dad
08-05-2008, 04:30 PM
after eating at Taco Bell for 2 days, I'm laying 2/5 the financial aid wasn't the only thing that "came through"

SMOO
08-05-2008, 04:54 PM
after eating at Taco Bell for 2 days, I'm laying 2/5 the financial aid wasn't the only thing that "came through"

Yes, it sounds like they were "cleaned out" in more than one way.

pic6vic
08-05-2008, 10:56 PM
Here is a pick 6 story.

We were playing the pick 6 in So cal in the late 80's just after it first came out. The pools on weekends were in the range of 400K. There was no carryover and they paid 50% for all 6 and 50% to the 5's. Well we hit the first 5 and have 6 of the 8 horses in the last leg (7th race in those days). Well my partner sees that the one of the horses is only 8-1, so he says let's bet $100 to win. the other horse was 50-1 and my other partner says let's bet both for a hundred. Well we made the decision to bet only the 8-1 shit. You know how this is going to end. the 50-1 WINS and the other horse we do not have covered runs second. We wound up with 6 cons at $1100 each. We were betting fairly big tickets, so after the tax take out we wounfd up with less money than we bet.

True story

The name of the horse that beat us was HATOMOTO

Achilles
08-06-2008, 12:14 AM
Some years ago, when I was single and my buddy John was on his second marriage, we used to go to Batavia harness on Thursday nights.............have a roast beef on kimmelwick, bet every race and sometimes even win on the night.

Years pass, I'm now married and he's on wife #3. We decide to re-live the past, and ride to Batavia on a Thursday night. After three races, neither of us has cashed, so John starts to take a closer look at some later races. After a few minutes, he is waving his program in my face and is getting excited, which he was good at. John points out a horse named Allentown Joe running later on the card, with a big morning line. I'm not a Joe, but I was raised in Allentown, PA. The connections were from Bethlehem, where I went to college, which pretty much cinched it for John. He was an excellent handicapper, but he was always coming up with these goofy hunch bets, which I hated, since I was, after all, the voice of reason.

A few more races go by without either of us cashing. The moment arrives. John is as tense as Dutrow must have been at the top of the stretch at the Haskell, while I'm berating him for deserting sane handicapping principles.

Then Allentown Joe proceeded to break on top and improve his position from gate to wire, and pay $96, with John cheering all the way.

I did not have a nickel on him, and was preparing to eat lots of crow, but John seemed curiously subdued when the order of finish was posted.....................As usual, he had got way too cute with his bets, and played only exactas, but not a wheel. They don't pay for first and third combos, and he did not bet a dime on the beast in the win pool.

It was a pretty silent ride home.

Jack

equicom
08-07-2008, 12:24 PM
I remember my horse won in a romp..but can't remember if the race was called a no contest, or the four outside horses were deemed non starters..but, long story short, I was left with getting my money back, and that was about it.

If they declare it a non-race, you're supposed to get a refund of your ticket.

menifee
08-08-2008, 01:40 AM
I have a bunch of these doozies. My favorite did not happen to me though. I was handicapping next to this guy at Suffolk once (sharing the same table). He loved to put large sums of cash on the chalk. I think it was a west coast track - he put $500 win to on the 5 horse (4-5). He comes back to the table and looks at his ticket. He had made a mistake. The 5 horse was 48-1. The 6 horse was the chalk. This guy sprints as fast as he can up to the window. Literally the teller puts the ticket in the machine the quickest I've ever seen and cancels the ticket. The race goes off almost instaneously with the teller cancelling the ticket. The 5 horse wins for fun and pays $98 for 2. I'll never forget the look on that guy's face.

A. Pineda
08-08-2008, 02:13 AM
I have a bunch of these doozies. My favorite did not happen to me though. I was handicapping next to this guy at Suffolk once (sharing the same table). He loved to put large sums of cash on the chalk. I think it was a west coast track - he put $500 win to on the 5 horse (4-5). He comes back to the table and looks at his ticket. He had made a mistake. The 5 horse was 48-1. The 6 horse was the chalk. This guy sprints as fast as he can up to the window. Literally the teller puts the ticket in the machine the quickest I've ever seen and cancels the ticket. The race goes off almost instaneously with the teller cancelling the ticket. The 5 horse wins for fun and pays $98 for 2. I'll never forget the look on that guy's face.

Occasionally the pendulum swings the other way. A SA regular looked at the tote just as he reached the window and saw that his horse was 2/1. He mistakenly called out $200 win on number 2, and before he realized it the 2, I think it was Norio Date, won and paid $107.00.

I never had much discipline when it came to the ponies. One holiday we arrived at a party in Arcadia early because, I learned too late, "we" had volunteered to decorate the home. I begged off, saying that I had a horse running (the track was minutes away) and walked thru the gate with $403 left in my wallet. The Pirate was on a 2/1 lock, so I bet $400 to win. The gates opened, the horse stumbled, and Pincay went flying thru the air. When my wife asked why I was back so soon, I said that I felt bad about skipping out on her, and I started hanging balloons.

Bruddah
08-08-2008, 01:29 PM
This goes back to around 1972-73 at Oaklawn. In those days the Daily double was the big exotic of the day. I was there when the biggest DD payout ever (for that era) was hit. (approx $9k + ?) Earlier, I had been talking to an older gentleman and his wife, who eventually won it. He was so excited as he literally sprinted to the pay window. In those days you had "buy" and "payout" windows. He and his wife were jumping up and down, crying and screaming. That money was to be a life changing event.

They collected their money and started to walk away from the window when, he dropped dead from a massive heart attack. I was just a kid in my early 20's and remember understanding for the first time, how unfair Life could be.

True Story

equicom
08-08-2008, 02:58 PM
Cleaning up my mess today and found a $20 voucher and 45c voucher that expired 12 months ago. I seem to have a habit of forgetting about them.

I have millions of stories, but the one that sticks in my head the most is the time that I had some good info about a horse called Navy Seal. He was paying in the 100's and I had picked in in a trifecta with a few other horses.

Went to beg the hole in the wall for a few dollars to bet with, only to get the message "This ATM is not in service". Navy Seal won, with my other picks coming in 2nd and 3rd. Nobody had it, and the pool was $198,000.