PDA

View Full Version : Horseplayers are classy

LutherCalvin
08-04-2008, 08:39 AM
I was in the local off track betting establishment over the weekend when one of the regulars, Benny "bet a hundred on him!" was checking his pockets and table for a missing ticket. He went over to the betting machines and had a stressed look on his face. "I had a $94 voucher. Now I can't find the damn thing. Don't that beat all."

A younger gentleman seated at a table turned around and said, "I was waiting for someone to say something. Here it is. It was left in the machine."

He gave the ticket to a grateful Benny who said, "Can I get you anything?"

The man wouldn't take a reward.

I thought that was a classy thing he did, returning a sizeable betting voucher. Makes me proud of my fellow horseplayers.

Tom Barrister
08-04-2008, 12:30 PM
There are some honest people left in the world. The young man who gave the voucher back handled it correctly by not saying anything until somebody complained about the loss (avoiding all of the scammers who would have claimed it was theirs if he said "Did somebody lose a voucher?"), then did the right thing by giving it back and by not accepting a reward.

dcb188
08-04-2008, 12:32 PM
I agree; very very refreshing.

Tom
08-04-2008, 12:40 PM
Hats off to the guy....and I also agree, as a group WE area pretty classy folk! :p

dcb188
08-04-2008, 12:46 PM
And it is even classier because of the amount of the voucher.

BombsAway Bob
08-04-2008, 01:29 PM
The last 2 years @ Saratoga, I've used the NYRA Cash CARD instead of paper vouchers. The card has a pin code that you choose, so that if someone else finds it, they can't use it. The negative is, waving the card in the air when you hit a nice Trifecta just doesn't look as cool as a Paper Ticket!

Mr. Nobody
08-04-2008, 01:41 PM
My last "classy" act cost me $1200. Old guy in front of me left a $3 voucher in the SAM machine. The time it took to hail him down and give it to him caused me to get shut out from the race I was going to bet. Naturally, the 12-1 shot I was gonna bet $100 on won. As the saying goes, no good deed goes unpunished.

Pace Cap'n
08-04-2008, 06:21 PM
Guy at the OTB hollers out..."Anybody lose a roll of cash with a rubber band around it?"

Fifteen or twenty degens jump up to claim it...

"Well, I found the rubber band."

fmhealth
08-04-2008, 08:07 PM
Good one, Pace!!