PDA

View Full Version : Iraq war - 5 years later

highnote
08-04-2008, 02:54 AM
This is probably the best piece I've read on the Iraq war. I don't agree with everything they write, but I think they bring up points that have been totally missed by just about every piece I have ever read.

It's a real eye opener on why we went to war and where we stand now.

http://www.stratfor.com/weekly/stratfors_war_five_years_later

Public Justifications and Private Motivations
We have lived with the Iraq war for more than five years. It was our view in early 2002 that a U.S. invasion of Iraq was inevitable. We did not believe the invasion had anything to do with weapons of mass destruction (WMD) — which with others we believed were under development in Iraq. The motivation for the war, as we wrote, had to do with forcing Saudi Arabia to become more cooperative in the fight against al Qaeda by demonstrating that the United States actually was prepared to go to extreme measures. The United States invaded to change the psychology of the region, which had a low regard for American power. It also invaded to occupy the most strategic country in the Middle East, one that bordered seven other key countries.

This is perhaps the most important point -- Iraq borders seven other key countries. We will be there for a long time, but not forever. All great powers eventually leave Persia. That is why all Iran has to do is bide it's time. Eventually the U.S. will leave. It may not happen in our lifetimes or theirs, but eventually the U.S. will leave.

The administration certainly lied about its reasons for going into Iraq. But then FDR certainly lied about planning for involvement in World War II, John Kennedy lied about whether he had traded missiles in Turkey for missiles in Cuba and so on. Leaders cannot conduct foreign policy without deception, and frequently the people they deceive are their own publics. This is simply the way things are.

Why lie? And why should Americans accept lies from our government?
If we wanted to force Saudi Arabia to become more cooperative, why didn't we just tell them that. And if they didn't like it, too bad. What's the big secret. Everyone knew the 9/11 hijackers were mostly Saudi Arabian.

Probably 1/2 of all Americans didn't like the false reason we were told of why we needed to go to war with Iraq and the admin wasn't worried about telling Americans too bad if you don't like it. We're invading anyway. If Americans knew the truth maybe they would have been more supportive. But when 1/2 of Americans didn't believe the reasons for going to war, then the admin should not be surprised that they don't have the support of the American people. We're grown up enough to handle the truth.

On the other hand, the admin only needed the support of Congress in order to wage the war. What anybody else thought didn't really matter.

I read a great book once by a philosopher who was a POW in the Civil War. It is called "A Lie is Never Justifiable". He was from the North. He tells a story of how he and his fellow POWs were working on a plan to escape. The plan required lying to their Confederate captors. He rejected the plan because of the lying. So he suggested a different plan that did not require lying, but it apparantly worked. Wish I could remember the details.

Since I read that book I also believe a lie is never justifiable. You can make up all kinds of scenarios where a person might need to lie -- like when they have to make a split second life or death decision. But in foreign policy where you have months to formulate a plan, why should lying be part of the plan? Maybe it's laziness -- or just plain ignorance. We are human beings, some of us have incredible minds -- hopefully, our leaders.

We underestimated Iraqi thinking. Knowing they could not fight a conventional war against the Americans, they opted instead to decline conventional combat and move to guerrilla warfare instead. We did not expect that.

How could our military analysts have missed that? Look at how the colonialists fought against the British. They didn't wear bright red uniforms and stand in a straight line and march across a meadow to engage in battle. They hid behind trees and used sniping tactics, etc.

The admin's big mistake was listening to Rumsfeld who did not put enough "boots on the ground" to fight a multisided war.

A Bigger Challenge Than ExpectedThat this was planned is obvious to us. On April 13, 2003, we noted what appeared to be an organized resistance group carrying out bombings. Organizing such attacks so quickly indicated to us that the operations were planned. Explosives and weapons had been hidden, command and control established, attacks and publicity coordinated. These things don’t just happen. Soon after the war, we recognized that the Sunnis in fact had planned a protracted war — just not a conventional one.

The EndgameWe have been focused on the U.S.-Iranian talks for quite awhile. We continue to believe this is a critical piece in any endgame. The United States is now providing an alternative scenario designed to be utterly frightening to the Iranians. They are arming and training the Iranians’ mortal enemies: the Sunnis who led the war against Iran from 1980 to 1988. That rearming is getting very serious indeed. Sunni units outside the aegis of the Iraqi military are now some of the most heavily armed Iraqis in Anbar, thanks to the Sunni relationship with U.S. forces there. It should be remembered that the Sunnis ruled Iraq because the Iraqi Shia were fragmented, fighting among themselves and therefore weak. That underlying reality remains true. A cohesive Sunni community armed and backed by the Americans will be a formidable force. That threat is the best way to bring the Iranians to the table.

The irony is that the war is now focused on empowering the very people the war was fought against: the Iraqi Sunnis.

You'd think we'd have learned something from the Russian/Afghanistan war. We armed the Taliban. Now we're fighting them.

What's that old saying -- "Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it." :bang:

Although I'm critical of the way the war has been handled, that doesn't mean I think it could have been avoided. But maybe the US should have taken longer in planning it. OK. Fine. Hindsight is 20-20, you say. It is easier to look back.

I suppose my biggest complaint is that the American public was lied to. I think that with our educated population we have the ability to understand complex international relations and how we might be threatened by outside forces.

When dealing with your own people, honesty is the best policy.

Maybe politicians the world over feel that lying is a necessary part of foriegn policy because that is the strategy they used to get elected in the first place? :D

dav4463
08-04-2008, 03:38 AM
The government cannot tell the people everything they do and why they do it.

highnote
08-04-2008, 03:47 AM
The government cannot tell the people everything they do and why they do it.

That's debatable. I agree on the small things, it isn't practical. But on something like waging war, in this day and age and with a country as democratic as the U.S., I think the truth is justifiable.

OTM Al
08-04-2008, 08:13 AM
A government that feels it necessary to lie to its people is saying that it knows better than its people what is good for them. I'm not talking about just keeping quiet, which can be neccessary and important, but outright lying. This is a first step down the slippery slope from democracy to dictatorship. Often I wonder if they would have been truthful in their motivations for war would a) it ever happened and b) if it had happened would a whole lot more people be behind the effort.

PaceAdvantage
08-04-2008, 09:51 AM
If somebody runs inside your office and tells you that there is a man with a gun breaking into your car, and you in turn call the police and tell them a man holding a gun is breaking into your car, and the cops get there and it turns out it was simply some guy placing leaflets under your windshield wiper...does this mean you lied to the cops?

Of course it doesn't.

So how all of a sudden does what the gubmint told us about Iraq pre-war become a lie? Does anyone have actual proof of any hardcore lying about Iraq, or can it all simply be chalked up to faulty intel, like our little man in the parking lot story?

Tom
08-04-2008, 11:15 AM
I agree that they have no right to lie to us, but they also do not have to tell us everything they do.

highnote
08-04-2008, 11:31 AM
So how all of a sudden does what the gubmint told us about Iraq pre-war become a lie? Does anyone have actual proof of any hardcore lying about Iraq, or can it all simply be chalked up to faulty intel, like our little man in the parking lot story?

I assume the people at Stratfor are a lot better connected than the average person. If they say our gov intentionally lied about Iraq having WMDs to justify the war with Iraq, then it is probably true that our gov lied about WMDs.

Stratfor's language is pretty strong:

The administration certainly lied about its reasons for going into Iraq. But then FDR certainly lied about planning for involvement in World War II, John Kennedy lied about whether he had traded missiles in Turkey for missiles in Cuba and so on. Leaders cannot conduct foreign policy without deception, and frequently the people they deceive are their own publics. This is simply the way things are.

From another article at Stratfor:

http://www.stratfor.com/memberships/100693
In any war, deception is a strategic necessity. However, the “bodyguard of lies” surrounding plans for a U.S. attack on Iraq — vital to building an international coalition of support — could be confusing the American public and endangering political support for the war effort. The operational and tactical levels of the war now appear to be clearer than the ultimate goal. That is because baldly stating the strategic necessity for an attack on Iraq — the ability to station U.S. forces in the heart of the Middle East — undoubtedly would endanger the fragile war coalition.

Unfortunately, I'm not a subscriber and don't have the rest of this article.

As far as faulty intelligence. The people at Stratfor believed Iraq did not have WMDs, but were working on them. There is a big difference.

It looks like Stratfor argument is that the gov needed to give the US people and its allies a reason for invading. The gov couldn't just say they wanted to have a military force in the heart of the middle east which could be used to fight terrorism. That wouldn't have been popular.

However, they didn't try that delivering that reason. So we'll never know. Either way, our gov was taking us to Iraq -- with or without the truth. The gov assumed they could get more support by lying than with the truth seems to be one argument in the article.

In my opinion, a gov lying to its people is unjustifiable.

But did our gov lie to us? Stratfor says they did. Given that Stratfor reports on military and intelligence issues to help people make financial decisions, I don't think they are a liberal journal. They say there job is to be unbiased.

I'm just reporting what they said. The readers can decide if they are unbiased and if they are correct that the gov lied to us.

highnote
08-04-2008, 12:01 PM
I agree that they have no right to lie to us, but they also do not have to tell us everything they do.

Agree. Some things require secrecy.

But why lie? Just don't say anything. They only needed congress to approve, right? Tell congress, but don't tell the citizens.

Then tell the people after the attack is launched.

We've helped to create a hell of a mess and, ironically, we're arming the Sunnis -- the very people we attacked in the first place.

boxcar
08-04-2008, 12:24 PM
I assume the people at Stratfor are a lot better connected than the average person. If they say our gov intentionally lied about Iraq having WMDs to justify the war with Iraq, then it is probably true that our gov lied about WMDs.

Nice job at circular reasoning.

And per Stratfor:

he administration certainly lied about its reasons for going into Iraq.

Can you provide or has Stratfor provided rock-solid proof that the Bush administration lied about their motives for going to Iraq? Secret WH memos, perhaps? Secret meetings that someone secretly taped, maybe? Anything at all? And if Bush lied why hasn't he been impeached long before now?

Boxcar

highnote
08-04-2008, 12:39 PM

And per Stratfor:

Can you provide or has Stratfor provided rock-solid proof that the Bush administration lied about their motives for going to Iraq? Secret WH memos, perhaps? Secret meetings that someone secretly taped, maybe? Anything at all? And if Bush lied why hasn't he been impeached long before now?

Boxcar

I'm just reporting what they said. You decide.

It seems reasonable that Stratfor is telling the truth. However, maybe Stratfor's info is wrong -- so what they think is the truth is not. But I don't think Stratfor is lying to try to deceive their readers.

boxcar
08-04-2008, 01:17 PM
I'm just reporting what they said. You decide.

It seems reasonable that Stratfor is telling the truth. However, maybe Stratfor's info is wrong -- so what they think is the truth is not. But I don't think Stratfor is lying to try to deceive their readers.

Of course, you realize that in that Stratfor piece the company totally dismisses people who can only offer opinions. Yet, it would seem that in the absence of this company offering any solid proof, then their piece, too, can be taken with a desert full of sand because it amounts to nothing but an opinion. What's good for the goosey has gotta be good for the gander, right?

Boxcar

highnote
08-04-2008, 01:22 PM
Of course, you realize that in that Stratfor piece the company totally dismisses people who can only offer opinions. Yet, it would seem that in the absence of this company offering any solid proof, then their piece, too, can be taken with a desert full of sand because it amounts to nothing but an opinion. What's good for the goosey has gotta be good for the gander, right?

Boxcar

I totally agree with you. I had the same criticism.

In fact, cricizing their "opinions" was the opening line of my first post on this topic, but I erased it because the post was getting too long.

jcrabboy
08-04-2008, 02:43 PM

And per Stratfor:

Boxcar

Hi Boxcar: I'm thinking a Stepford Republican Party combined with a lack of cojones on the Demo side is the only thing that saved his worthless bacon.

In the real world rather than the rarified atmosphere of politics he would probably already be serving his next term (in Leavenworth).

Jimmie

boxcar
08-04-2008, 05:06 PM
Hi Boxcar: I'm thinking a Stepford Republican Party...

I have yet to see any post of yours that even remotely resembles intelligent thought, Mr. "I'm thinking". I'm sure that if you ever get lucky and actually produce one, all fleas and ticks on the planet will know for sure that they can resume their rightful place at the bottom of the intelligence chain due to the loud cheers, applauds and accolades you'll receive here.

Boxcar

JustRalph
08-04-2008, 05:42 PM
Amazing, the Dumbest guy in the world got elected twice. Thwarts the Dems at every turn and has prosecuted a successful war on two fronts. No further terrorists attacks in the U.S. and foiled many many planned attacks.

He has been calling for offshore drilling for 7 years. Begged to drill in AnwR and now that the poor suckers who have supported the Dems and the Left agenda for years are now starving to death and huddling together on public buses, in fear of freezing this winter, they start calling for his imprisonment.

Amazing. I don't think the guy ran the war very well, at least not for the first 3 years, but he has sure made the left look like a bunch of Kooks. And it seems that the more time passes the worse they look.

Pelosi is trying to "save the planet" and takes a vacation for 5 weeks, while her beloved party of the people starves. Remember who Nancy represents. The wealthy coasters of San Francisco.

Harry Reid is but a name on an office door placard. He sits on his hands also. When will the "downtrodden" realize they are being taken for a ride?

Now if you want to talk Stepford you better look in the back pocket of the left and George Soro's etc...........

hcap
08-05-2008, 06:04 AM
To the The PA high-fivers Denial 24/7 Club. It's pretty clear the evidence of justification for invasion was at best exaggerated, and at worst downright manipulated.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0808/12308_Page2.html

Book says White House ordered forgery
By MIKE ALLEN | 8/4/08 11:23 PM EST

A new book by the author Ron Suskind claims that the White House ordered the CIA to forge a back-dated, handwritten letter from the head of Iraqi intelligence to Saddam Hussein.

Suskind writes in “The Way of the World,” to be published Tuesday, that the alleged forgery – adamantly denied by the White House – was designed to portray a false link between Hussein’s regime and al Qaeda as a justification for the Iraq war.

The author also claims that the Bush administration had information from a top Iraqi intelligence official “that there were no weapons of mass destruction in Iraq – intelligence they received in plenty of time to stop an invasion.”

hcap
08-05-2008, 06:15 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/us_world/2008/08/02/2008-08-02_fbi_was_told_to_blame_anthrax_scare_on_a.html

'After the Oct. 5, 2001, death from anthrax exposure of Sun photo editor Robert Stevens, [FBI Director Robert] Mueller was "beaten up" during President Bush's morning intelligence briefings for not producing proof the killer spores were the handiwork of terrorist mastermind Osama Bin Laden, according to a former aide. "They really wanted to blame somebody in the Middle East," the retired senior FBI official told The News.'

---------------------------------------------------------
"Friday the LA Times reported that the person who may have been to blame for the 2001 anthrax attacks apparently committed suicide. John McCain played an early role in the conservative effort to blame Iraq and lay the groundwork for a subsequent invasion.
If you can recall shortly after 9/11, many were pinning the blame for the anthrax attacks on Iraq. After the attacks on the WTC and the Pentagon, the anthrax letters - the first one sent on September 18, just one week after 9/11 – stoked the fear levels and helped to created the climate that has been prevalent in the United States for the past several years."

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/258150

' LETTERMAN: How are things going in Afghanistan now?

MCCAIN: I think we’re doing fine. I think we’ll do fine. The second phase - if I could just make one, very quickly - the second phase is Iraq. There is some indication, and I don’t have the conclusions, but some of this anthrax may - and I emphasize may - have come from Iraq.

LETTERMAN: Oh is that right?

MCCAIN: If that should be the case, that’s when some tough decisions are gonna have to be made. '

jcrabboy
08-05-2008, 12:38 PM
I have yet to see any post of yours that even remotely resembles intelligent thought, Mr. "I'm thinking". I'm sure that if you ever get lucky and actually produce one, all fleas and ticks on the planet will know for sure that they can resume their rightful place at the bottom of the intelligence chain due to the loud cheers, applauds and accolades you'll receive here.

Boxcar

So Boxcar, I'm thinkin' you must be part of some great Conservative Intellectual Think Tank given to pompous pronouncements and personal attacks. No. Hmmm. Well then, I guess you must be a Stepford Republican full of lavish love for the Lame Duck.

Whatever. I bow to your obviously superior intellect and apologize for not having the same opinions as one so knowledgable as yourself.

I'll get back to you once I haul myself up from below the fleas and ticks. It's hell down here.

Don't forget your meds.

Jimmie

boxcar
08-05-2008, 01:20 PM
So Boxcar, I'm thinkin' you must be part of some great Conservative Intellectual Think Tank

There you go trying to think again. But I am great compared to you lame libs on this forum. Nearly everything is relative, you know?

No. Hmmm. Well then, I guess you must be a Stepford Republican full of lavish love for the Lame Duck.

Wrong again. You'd be hard-pressed to find any posts on this forum wherein I gave any praise the "Duck". Credit for a couple of things, perhaps -- but a far cry from applause or praise. You know what they say about people who ASSume, yes?

Whatever. I bow to your obviously superior intellect and apologize for not having the same opinions as one so knowledgable as yourself.

If you did that also on bended knee with lit candles at my altar, your humble apology is accepted. Now, I order you, sir, to repent of your liberal insanity and disgusting ways and turn to Conservative Principles and Ideals.

I'll get back to you once I haul myself up from below the fleas and ticks. It's hell down here..

Yeah, I bet it is. But you have only yourself to blame, ya know?

Don't forget your meds.

I plan on making a trip to the Mediterranean this Fall. I have no intentions of forgetting that.

Boxcar