PDA

View Full Version : Non BC Handle Record smashed today ay Monmouth

NoCal Boy
08-03-2008, 08:09 PM
Equibase is reflecting over $17.6MM wagered today on the 14 races, far surpassing the prior record of last year's $14.1MM. This is nearly a 25% increase. Very impressive assuming the numbers are accurate. Haskell itself looks to be up nicely as well. Here is the link from last year.

http://www.monmouthpark.com/haskell/news.asp?newsid=7255

alhattab
08-03-2008, 08:16 PM
Equibase is reflecting over $17.6MM wagered today on the 14 races, far surpassing the prior record of last year's $14.1MM. This is nearly a 25% increase. Very impressive assuming the numbers are accurate. Haskell itself looks to be up nicely as well. Here is the link from last year.

http://www.monmouthpark.com/haskell/news.asp?newsid=7255

Monmouth's numbers seem to be up all year. I take a look at the year-over-year numbers on the weekends and they really seem to be doing well. I don't know why. The racing after a slow May has been very bettable. Handle on weekends has easily exceeded $5 million on several occassions, and historically this has been rare.

Monmouth takes its lumps, but it has a large group of loyal followers and beyond the real boutique meets it is one of the best. It worries me that it could possibly succumb to competition from dreary venue like The Pha. I was there today and it was about as much fun as one can have at the track. I will remember this one for some time.

NoCal Boy
08-03-2008, 08:25 PM
>>>The Haskell drew record wagering of $4,257,409, pacing Monmouth to a single-day record total handle of $17,642,954. The betting totals easily surpassed last year’s records of $3,734,404 bet on the Haskell, and $14,122,636 bet on the 14-race card.<<<

I guess it could be another argument for open access as all ADW's have access to Monmouth instead of just TVG. TVG just has the tv exclusivity.

Hosshead
08-04-2008, 08:56 AM
Monmouth also has something else in it's favor, -- DIRT !

ALostTexan
08-04-2008, 11:54 AM
I am glad to hear that Monmouth is doing well, especially after the BC mess last year. Hope it continues for them...

lamboguy
08-04-2008, 12:38 PM
monmouth does a first class job. i was there yesterday, i had a table in the trophy room. this was the first time i was there this year, i wish i lived there i would be there every day!

point given
08-04-2008, 06:05 PM
The place is dead during the week and not much more crowed on weekends. july 4th was a good crowd, but i usuallly have my own section of seats. While they did a good job yesterday, i wondered why i bought a seat when so many didnot have tickets and ushers don't bother to do anything . It was also nice to see an organized post parade for the races ,( all but the last race, where they did their usual trot by the stands without the patrons getting a good look at the horses.)

They need to routinely do what they did yesterday, as far as post parades. During the week they also cut out a few minutes between races to speed things along. I usually watch the horses come over , then go to the saddling and paddock and then up to see the pp and prep, then bet. Its a real hassle to do this with the minutes cut out, but then 90% of handle comes though ADW so the ontrack people can get used to it or play at home.

alhattab
08-04-2008, 08:58 PM
The place is dead during the week and not much more crowed on weekends. july 4th was a good crowd, but i usuallly have my own section of seats. While they did a good job yesterday, i wondered why i bought a seat when so many didnot have tickets and ushers don't bother to do anything . It was also nice to see an organized post parade for the races ,( all but the last race, where they did their usual trot by the stands without the patrons getting a good look at the horses.)

They need to routinely do what they did yesterday, as far as post parades. During the week they also cut out a few minutes between races to speed things along. I usually watch the horses come over , then go to the saddling and paddock and then up to see the pp and prep, then bet. Its a real hassle to do this with the minutes cut out, but then 90% of handle comes though ADW so the ontrack people can get used to it or play at home.

All fair points, but what tracks do not fit your description as being "dead" most of the time? Keeneland, Saratoga, Del Mar, Santa Anita on big days and Oaklawn I guess. Plus I think Monmouth is somewhat a victim of its size- people are spread all over the place. I never buy seats on big days anymore because 1) I really don't care if I sit and 2) the ushers don't bother you if you try. But if I really wanted a seat, I would purchase one.

You've got to give it to them on the ability to handle a crowd, which they do pretty well.

I'm with you Lamboguy, living near there is great if you are a horseplayer, especially now that they have a good simulcast room for the winter.

point given
08-04-2008, 09:43 PM
I just noticed recently about the non post parades, seeing the horses rumps trot away, then the shortened time between races, wasnot like that earlier in the meet. IMHO they should have high standards like they do at major tracks. their paddock cameras are without operators with the production people just switching occasionally. Its a lazy operation not showing the horses prerace like they should be doing. maybe others don't care about such stuff, but i think they should show the product to the customers the best they can, not be lethargic and go thru the motions.

On the seating, i heard they were nearly soldout so i got a seat, but, maybe it was just a word of mouth marketing effort on their part. Hell i pay that for cllubhouse at the spa daily, but everyone is paying and ushers do their job. Didn't have a problem though and thought they handled the day well, except for rushing the last race through and the inevitable traffic problem after when too many cars left at the same time jamming it all up , and i hung around after too. Nice day though.

All fair points, but what tracks do not fit your description as being "dead" most of the time? Keeneland, Saratoga, Del Mar, Santa Anita on big days and Oaklawn I guess. Plus I think Monmouth is somewhat a victim of its size- people are spread all over the place. I never buy seats on big days anymore because 1) I really don't care if I sit and 2) the ushers don't bother you if you try. But if I really wanted a seat, I would purchase one.

You've got to give it to them on the ability to handle a crowd, which they do pretty well.

I'm with you Lamboguy, living near there is great if you are a horseplayer, especially now that they have a good simulcast room for the winter.