PDA

View Full Version : Haskell predictions anyone ?

cj's dad
08-02-2008, 08:15 AM
Taking a stand against BB- does not hit the board.

point given
08-02-2008, 08:40 AM
The National Debt on big Brown to show. :eek: Georges last big bet. :rolleyes:

Bruddah
08-02-2008, 08:50 AM
Taking a stand against BB- does not hit the board.
I hope Daddy'O and I score Big on this race. I like your style Daddy'O. :cool: it was getting lonely in this big 'ole boat by myself. :D

rokitman
08-02-2008, 08:58 AM
I hope Daddy'O and I score Big on this race. I like your style Daddy'O. :cool: it was getting lonely in this big 'ole boat by myself. :D
You might want to consider bringing an underwater camera :ThmbUp:

Tom
08-02-2008, 09:43 AM
Big Deal, er, Brown, scratches.

Bennie
08-02-2008, 09:53 AM
I'm going with Atoned and Nistles Crunch. Can't bet a 1/2 ML favorite no matter how good he looks on paper. Dutrow worked him Friday on the turf again and when asked why, he said "I just felt like doing it" Something smells in Elmont, NY and it ain't horse poop.

Bruddah
08-02-2008, 09:55 AM
You might want to consider bringing an underwater camera :ThmbUp:
You may be right rokitman. Old Daddy'O and I might be going to the submarine races. I gurantee if we do, we will be looking for a couple of beauties to go with us. :D

Robert Fischer
08-02-2008, 10:28 AM
Brown over Coal Man/Magical Forest/or Atoned

Coal Play is the upset contender, I may use him in one pick 3 or double or something, but I realistically "predict" him to fight Alaazo for last. Coal Play was originally thought the better of the two "Coal Colts" by 80k. He absolutely begging Zito to be pace in a longer route and get away from those 45second half duels. Has a freaky run over the track 2back, and then the ugly Kieron-Fallon move Bravo pulled last time at low odds. Magical Forest adds value to the vertical exotics. He looks like he could be forwardly placed and hang around.

Trying to make my $ on some pick 3s and possibly doubles. I was watching Monmouth Friday, and in the 4th race...
Pletch is going to give client Scatuorchio his best stuff, and Ruff and Ready should be running big in the stretch giving the Oceanport two big time runners in RnR and Silver Tree.

Robert Fischer
08-02-2008, 10:42 AM
Monmouth Friday, and in the 4th race...

cup of coffee and pair of glasses never fails to do wonders

that wasn't team Pletcher / that was team Hennig :bang:

scratch the above opinion on a Ruff n Ready move up

Cratos
08-02-2008, 11:10 AM
The Haskell is more than another stakes race for Dutrow and company, it is a vindication, an “I told you so” and all and any of all negative expletives being washed away in one fell scoop before Big Brown head for the breeding shed.

This horse has worked beautifully in preparing for the Haskell and Monmouth surface is made for Big Brown’s running style. Also he has won three G1 stakes and that counts for a lot as a 3yo because his Haskell competition is not close in that area.

Therefore given that I believe this will be Big Brown’s farewell to racing; he will be asked to put on a show to be remembered and will win by an ever widening margin.

onefast99
08-02-2008, 11:59 AM
The Haskell is more than another stakes race for Dutrow and company, it is a vindication, an “I told you so” and all and any of all negative expletives being washed away in one fell scoop before Big Brown head for the breeding shed.

This horse has worked beautifully in preparing for the Haskell and Monmouth surface is made for Big Brown’s running style. Also he has won three G1 stakes and that counts for a lot as a 3yo because his Haskell competition is not close in that area.

Therefore given that I believe this will be Big Brown’s farewell to racing; he will be asked to put on a show to be remembered and will win by an ever widening margin.
This is a race that BB will go to the front and never look back. I am sure the track will be lightening fast for the entire day which will keep anyone from coming off the pace.

toofan
08-02-2008, 12:15 PM
Hi,

I am relatively new to racing, but have visited Monmouth Park a few times this summer. I enjoy seeing races live and spending a couple of hundred (~200) placing some novice bets during an outing.

I am planning to come down to Monmouth for the Haskell Stakes from near Boston....yes....I have some friends in NJ who may be going as well.

Is it worth the trek or should I just stay home? Maybe place some bets in Boston?

I am really keen to learn about racing, so that I enjoy a day out, maybe hit big a couple of times, if I lose, its nothing substantial, like going out for a movie and a nice meal.

Any interesting bets to be placed tomorrow? I am not necessarily asking for specific horses, but even types of bets I should consider.

I have a copy of the form and will study it....

Would love to say hi to anyone who is around tomorrow.

p.s. I am a total novice and this is a great board!

Thanks,

Toofan

cj's dad
08-02-2008, 12:38 PM
It will be a ZOO !

Hi,

I am relatively new to racing, but have visited Monmouth Park a few times this summer. I enjoy seeing races live and spending a couple of hundred (~200) placing some novice bets during an outing.

I am planning to come down to Monmouth for the Haskell Stakes from near Boston....yes....I have some friends in NJ who may be going as well.

Is it worth the trek or should I just stay home? Maybe place some bets in Boston?

I am really keen to learn about racing, so that I enjoy a day out, maybe hit big a couple of times, if I lose, its nothing substantial, like going out for a movie and a nice meal.

Any interesting bets to be placed tomorrow? I am not necessarily asking for specific horses, but even types of bets I should consider.

I have a copy of the form and will study it....

Would love to say hi to anyone who is around tomorrow.

p.s. I am a total novice and this is a great board!

Thanks,

Toofan

john del riccio
08-02-2008, 05:54 PM
COOL COAL MAN

Robert Fischer
08-02-2008, 06:23 PM
COOL COAL MAN

:eek:

:jump:

sally
08-02-2008, 07:09 PM
Looking for an upset...

Nistle's Crunch ;)

alhattab
08-02-2008, 07:24 PM
This is a race that BB will go to the front and never look back. I am sure the track will be lightening fast for the entire day which will keep anyone from coming off the pace.

Now now, no excuses yet. Don't forget the 2006 Haskell card. That day the wide paths were golden. The early pick 4 was taken down by THE outside post in each race, and there were some prices (was Prop Me Up one of them?). With the weather here lately who knows.

Best of luck to you tomorrow.

NY BRED
08-02-2008, 08:26 PM
I own a "Vanny",and this one I truly believe has a great shot as:

A: Ken Mcpeek ships him in after a sharp work

B.this is a NJ bred and aside from bonus money:jump: this could be an incredible story for the State breeding program.

C.Afer losing to BB in the Fla Derby, and running relatively well on
turf/wet turf, this horse may relish the MTH surface, especially if it is damp.

D.As far as upsetting Big Horses, remember Mcpeek ran Sarava in the
2002 Belmont , winning at 70-1.

E: only downside is the potential downplay on odds,which I think will
be 6-1..

tribecaagent
08-02-2008, 08:42 PM
I own a "Vanny",and this one I truly believe has a great shot as:

A: Ken Mcpeek ships him in after a sharp work

B.this is a NJ bred and aside from bonus money:jump: this could be an incredible story for the State breeding program.

C.Afer losing to BB in the Fla Derby, and running relatively well on
turf/wet turf, this horse may relish the MTH surface, especially if it is damp.

D.As far as upsetting Big Horses, remember Mcpeek ran Sarava in the
2002 Belmont , winning at 70-1.

E: only downside is the potential downplay on odds,which I think will
be 6-1..

Gary,

I agree with your thinking except the price. Cool Coal Man, Coal Play, and Atoned will take money. Nistles Crunch will be no less than 15-1.

onefast99
08-02-2008, 09:10 PM
Now now, no excuses yet. Don't forget the 2006 Haskell card. That day the wide paths were golden. The early pick 4 was taken down by THE outside post in each race, and there were some prices (was Prop Me Up one of them?). With the weather here lately who knows.

Best of luck to you tomorrow.
I hope the track is very fast for Maddy to close again vs Joey P. Prop is on the turf she has to wake up with Elliott aboard, I am looking for a good day from my crew.

arno
08-02-2008, 09:32 PM
Sure will be a zoo tomorrow.

I make the over under on minutes getting your car after Haskell if you park valet at 80 minutes.

I will be in my usual seat # 15 in 2nd floor teletheatre.
One of these days I am going to watch a race live!

Track should be real fast with the sudden shower today and would not be surprised to see a some very quick times tomorrow.

phatbastard
08-02-2008, 10:14 PM
though i was skeptical of BB in Belmont....i think this is way to EZ...but i will surely be sitting on my hands

play pick 5 instead

garyoz
08-03-2008, 07:51 AM
though i was skeptical of BB in Belmont....i think this is way to EZ...but i will surely be sitting on my hands

play pick 5 instead

way too easy--that's why they ducked The Travers. Agree with inside bias, lightening fast---and then to the breeder's shed. then ultimately to a retirement farm when his prodigy do nothing. PED's aren't synthesized by genes..

onefast99
08-03-2008, 08:40 AM
Looking for an upset...

Nistle's Crunch ;)
Just the name alone makes you want to stay away from this one, I dont see this one even near the top 3 BB easily and then its anyones guess who runs 2nd. No matter what a 9-1 second choice coupled with BB in the exacta gets you about $8.80. Good race to relax and watch BB get a nice workout.

onefast99
08-03-2008, 08:42 AM
Sure will be a zoo tomorrow.

I make the over under on minutes getting your car after Haskell if you park valet at 80 minutes.

I will be in my usual seat # 15 in 2nd floor teletheatre.
One of these days I am going to watch a race live!

Track should be real fast with the sudden shower today and would not be surprised to see a some very quick times tomorrow.
Valet has never been real fast, at any track unless you give them a $20 and they park it right on the front curb by will call. Today it may cost you $30.

Tom Barrister
08-03-2008, 11:19 AM
As I said in another thread, I predict Big Brown will finish last again today.

HUSKER55
08-03-2008, 11:33 AM
With all the hoopla and BB going to breeders shed and all, I think I am going to bet against BB.

The barn needs the win for the pedigree, however, bad feet are bad feet. I do not think BB is the lock on the door. After the last fiasco I don't trust RD. BB was supposed to be "fine " that day too. We all seen what "fine" means to RD. Either he is a liar or he don't know horses.

I'm going to bet against him. I'll probably regret it. But isn't that what makes this sport great?

husker55

;)

Marshall Bennett
08-03-2008, 11:52 AM
I'd never bet against him . Well , maybe 2 bucks .:)

HEY DUDE
08-03-2008, 12:04 PM
Must admit with regret that I am a little disappointed in the connections of BB. I would have rather seen him compete against older horses. I think this was the easiest spot they could find for him thus increasing his breeding earning potential. I think that he wins this easy. Having said that, for long shots and upset speculating, I would look towards ZITO. This guy has proven his ability to show up with dark formed horses at huge prices. Birdstone, Da' Tara. In both cases I remember after the races where he talked about them being late bloomers and just begining to come into form. We will see. Oh yea. Cant ignore McPeek with NISTLE'S CRUNCH. I think doubtful though. Dont think he will handle the pace. For Long Shot I pick #6 Coal Play. Otherwise #4 Big Brown wins easly.

RichieP
08-03-2008, 12:19 PM
Atoned running O.T.E.

PaceAdvantage
08-03-2008, 01:44 PM
Therefore given that I believe this will be Big Brown’s farewell to racing; he will be asked to put on a show to be remembered and will win by an ever widening margin.You can't be serious. You honestly think that a win in the Haskell will be BB's swan song?

There is absolutely no way that a win against such GHASTLY competition will do ANYTHING for BB except erase the thoughts of those who believe the horse has lost his mind and will never beat another horse again (think tribecaagent and cj's dad).

This is just the first step. I believe a win in the Haskell will lead to the Travers, especially if he rolls easy.

After that, it's onto the fall with a prep for the BC and then the BC itself.

Hell, I've already collected my $50 bet with a certain someone that BB WILL race again (as long as he breaks from the gate in the Haskell), so why should I stop with my predictions now?

Cratos
08-03-2008, 02:00 PM
You can't be serious. You honestly think that a win in the Haskell will be BB's swan song?

There is absolutely no way that a win against such GHASTLY competition will do ANYTHING for BB except erase the thoughts of those who believe the horse has lost his mind and will never beat another horse again (think tribecaagent and cj's dad).

This is just the first step. I believe a win in the Haskell will lead to the Travers, especially if he rolls easy.

After that, it's onto the fall with a prep for the BC and then the BC itself.

Hell, I've already collected my $50 bet with a certain someone that BB WILL race again (as long as he breaks from the gate in the Haskell), so why should I stop with my predictions now?

I am serioous because I believe that had Big Brown won the Belmont he would have been retired. There isn’t any reason to race this horse after the Haskell if he destroys this field with an outstanding performance. The stud fees are done and how many people will understand your comment “such GHASTLY competition?” Not very many because that comment goes to the ardent horseracing fan, not Joe Public on the street who just see Big Brown as a celebrity racehorse.

This is business and nothing is better for business than going out on top.

PaceAdvantage
08-03-2008, 02:05 PM
The stud fees are done...Are they? The story is that IEAH has only received $5M for 10% of BB from Three Chimneys, pegging his value at $50M before the Belmont...thus perhaps the stud fees are nowhere near done, and a win in the Haskell isn't really going to lead to everyone rushing to his door, given so much negative publicity since the Belmont...

BB will still be tagged with "he has beaten nothing" until he takes on older horses...

Yes, if he had won the Belmont, all bets would have been off...he may very well have been retired right then and there...

But, since he lost the Belmont, he is just another one of those "2 outa 3" guys...and if the story is true that IEAH hasn't collected $50M but instead only $5M, there will be more to BB after the Haskell, should he win the race...

Cratos
08-03-2008, 02:20 PM
Are they? The story is that IEAH has only received $5M for 10% of BB from Three Chimneys, pegging his value at $50M before the Belmont...thus perhaps the stud fees are nowhere near done, and a win in the Haskell isn't really going to lead to everyone rushing to his door, given so much negative publicity since the Belmont...

BB will still be tagged with "he has beaten nothing" until he takes on older horses...

Yes, if he had won the Belmont, all bets would have been off...he may very well have been retired right then and there...

But, since he lost the Belmont, he is just another one of those "2 outa 3" guys...and if the story is true that IEAH hasn't collected $50M but instead only $5M, there will be more to BB after the Haskell, should he win the race...

I don’t know if IEAH has collected $5M or $50M because the story in the media changes day by day. However Big Brown by all accounts do have chronic sore feet and if he can somewhat restore the luster to his tarnished record because his Belmont catastrophe, again I say he will be retired.

dylbert
08-03-2008, 02:37 PM
I haven't seen any discussion about Big Brown's bad feet. This problem has plagued horse during his entire career. Has this situation disappeared completely and become nonissue?

46zilzal
08-03-2008, 02:58 PM
I haven't seen any discussion about Big Brown's bad feet. This problem has plagued horse during his entire career. Has this situation disappeared completely and become nonissue?
Rest cures a lot

cappoblanca
08-03-2008, 03:10 PM
www.Horseraceinsider.com (http://www.Horseraceinsider.com) for John Pricci's analysis of BB's workouts and possible competitive attitude. "For Big Brown It's Redemption or Retirement"..continue article...

:5: :4: / :5: :4: :7: :3: :2: /:5: :4: :7: :3: :2: $1

toetoe
08-03-2008, 04:06 PM
Hut -hut !

whyhorseofcourse
08-03-2008, 05:53 PM
4/178/178/all
4/1/78/all
4/78/1/all

Overlay
08-03-2008, 06:04 PM
From a value standpoint, I like Magical Forest.

Tee
08-03-2008, 06:06 PM
Coal Play - run fast, run far - run far fast?

MNslappy
08-03-2008, 06:07 PM
Big Brown wins for fun

But at 1-9 (!!) I wouldnt bet him with your money

rrbauer
08-03-2008, 06:10 PM
The Pick-4 to BB pays $849. That works for me.

MNslappy
08-03-2008, 06:21 PM
WOW

that was a heart-pounder!

098poi
08-03-2008, 06:23 PM
Wow, no money wagered and I was nervous as they came down the stretch!!!

MarquisMark
08-03-2008, 06:24 PM
Did he win or land in the money? I didn't get to see the race...

MNslappy
08-03-2008, 06:28 PM
BB won in a tooth and nail drive down the center of the track with CP on the inside, who had led (after being outbroke by BB) from the first turn to about 20 yards in front of the wire...it was a heart-pounder, especially at 1-5....I didnt even have money on it.

098poi
08-03-2008, 06:28 PM
He won, not the way you'd expect a 1-5 shot. Didn't have that passing gear on the turn but passed the front runner in the stretch. Won by just over a length I guess.

46zilzal
08-03-2008, 09:20 PM
Big Brown wins for fun

But at 1-9 (!!) I wouldnt bet him with your money

For FUN? I talked to the DRF columnist about the "struggle" in a pedestrian time and asked: He was really under-wheling today wasn't he?. His response?: "That was putting it MILDLY."

MNslappy
08-03-2008, 10:35 PM
To acknowledge that I was way way off on my genius "wins for fun" prediction would be PUTTING IT MILDLY :lol:

PaceAdvantage
08-03-2008, 11:56 PM
For FUN? I talked to the DRF columnist about the "struggle" in a pedestrian time and asked: He was really under-wheling today wasn't he?. His response?: "That was putting it MILDLY."Pedestrian time? Huh? 1:48 1/5 versus 1:46 4/5 track record is not pedestrian.

46zilzal
08-04-2008, 02:22 AM
Pedestrian time? Huh? 1:48 1/5 versus 1:46 4/5 track record is not pedestrian.
Let's see: Who am I to believe a twenty year veteran writer for the Daily Racing Form along with my 40 plus years experience following the horses, or You?

Not hard to decide that one.

PaceAdvantage
08-04-2008, 02:23 AM
For FUN? I talked to the DRF columnist about the "struggle" in a pedestrian time and asked: He was really under-wheling today wasn't he?. His response?: "That was putting it MILDLY."PS. Ask that DRF columnist what he thought about last year's Haskell...you know, the one Curlin lost...as was stated in another thread, last year's Haskell went in pretty much the EXACT same final time....

Let me know what that DRF columnist has to say....thanks!

PaceAdvantage
08-04-2008, 02:24 AM
Let's see: Who am I to believe a twenty year veteran writer for the Daily Racing Form along with my 40 plus years experience following the horses, or You?

Not hard to decide that one.Again, make sure you ask your guy what he thought about last year's Haskell...same final time...Curlin gets beat...etc. etc.

46zilzal
08-04-2008, 02:27 AM
Again, make sure you ask your guy what he thought about last year's Haskell...same final time...Curlin gets beat...etc. etc.
That race has not a thing to do with that yawner today. Neither does the other 5000 races since then......Why not compare it to the Japan Cup, the St. James Palace Stakes or the Sussex Mile at Goodwood while your'e at it?

A race dynamic is exclusive to a particular contest and to no other.

PaceAdvantage
08-04-2008, 02:28 AM
That race has not a thing to do with that yawner today.Of course it did. You called the race "pedestrian" and your DRF buddy agreed. I would like to know what you called last year's Haskell, which went in the exact same final time. The one in which the mighty Curlin finished well beaten.

BTW, how was the race a yawner? It was quite the exciting finish....

And it can't be a yawner due to final time, because 1:48 1/5 is a very good time for 9 panels, and it equaled last year's time, the one where Curlin got kicked by Any Given Saturday.

So, hopefully, you'll get to ask your DRF guy these questions soon....I'm very interested in his opinion.

Thanks!

46zilzal
08-04-2008, 02:31 AM
Androgenic steroid cripple barely wins....Bravo that he hasn't developed the intense atherosclerosis that co-exists with that abuse.

Most races on the dirt are fairly well decided by the second call, even approaching 9 furlongs. The super colt looked and acted very common as many found to be the case. He has been exposed for the colt he is: a little above ordinary and no higher.

PaceAdvantage
08-04-2008, 02:37 AM
Androgenic steroid cripple barely wins....Bravo that he hasn't developed the intense atherosclerosis that co-exists with that abuse.OMG you are so boring and predictable.

When confronted with information you failed to take into account which completely blows your thesis out of the water, you dive into your medical nomenclature in a desperate attempt to sound intelligent in the face of your idiotic "pedestrian" comment.

An exciting, gutsy finish in the same exact final time as last year's Haskell where Curlin got beat pretty good is hardly pedestrian.

I think we've found the true yawner here, and his name is 46zilzal.

BTW, what's the name of this DRF columnist?

46zilzal
08-04-2008, 02:40 AM
BTW, what's the name of this DRF columnist?
Why want to write him a letter?

PaceAdvantage
08-04-2008, 02:43 AM
Why want to write him a letter?If you hold this man's opinion in such high regard, and he is indeed a writer for the DRF, then answering the question shouldn't be all that difficult. You should be itching to divulge the name of a man with such a solid opinion.

46zilzal
08-04-2008, 02:45 AM
If you hold this man's opinion in such high regard, and he is indeed a writer for the DRF, then answering the question shouldn't be all that difficult. You should be itching to divulge the name of a man with such a solid opinion.
he is right here writing about Spaghetti Mouse.
http://www.drf.com/news/content/1.html

PaceAdvantage
08-04-2008, 02:58 AM
Excellent. I love it when people make me work for simple answers.

Now that we have that out of the way, I am very curious as to why both you and Mr. Goulding feel the Haskell was "pedestrian." It can't be because of the final time, because as I just pointed out, last year's Haskell, with Any Given Saturday, Hard Spun and Curlin, went in a slightly SLOWER final time, with Any Given Saturday romping by over four lengths.

It can't be because of the way the race was run, because it was a very exciting, gutsy finish by Big Brown.

So, why exactly was it pedestrian? Of course, I'm more interested in why Mr. Goulding thinks this way than you, because, after all, he's a 20-year veteran writer for the DRF, and, well, you're just a guy posting on a message board. No offense.

So, either you ask him, or I will.

Tom
08-04-2008, 07:19 AM
Pedestrian, huh?
Maybe if the pedestrian was the FLASH!
:lol:

classhandicapper
08-04-2008, 08:11 AM
Has anyone seen the Beyer yet?

It's hard for me to imagine the figure being very fast because the 2nd place finisher's best prior Beyer was a 102 and they cleared the 3rd horse by an amount that suggests he ran back to a mid 90s figure or so. That would make BB a 105 or so. However, I am unfamilar with the rest of the horses on the card and didn't attempt to make a figure.

Visually and class wise I don't think he's back to where he was in the spring. The horse's behind him today were on the weak side (limited ALW eligible). I think the spring version would have caught these on the turn without much urging and drew off. He struggled to get up.

If I were Dutrow and the owners my decision would be based on whether I thought he was 100% yesterday or not. If that's the best he's got, I think there's a very good chance he gets beat by older horses. If they expect him to move forward, then I guess they should go on. At this point, as much as I'd like to see him continue, I think any kind of loss hurts his value.

Pending pace and speed figures, IMHO, yesterday's version was not the same horse we saw earlier in the year.

garyoz
08-04-2008, 09:35 AM
How about a Breeder's Cup prediction? BB will never run it. They ducked the Travers and they will duck the BC. No one will try to avoid the colt at this point. IMHO there is a good chance they will retire him based on some excuse.

Tom Barrister
08-04-2008, 12:04 PM
As I said before, I wouldn't have been surprised if he finished last again. As it was, he managed to beat a less-than-stellar field and reinforce the notion that he was never more than a good horse in a mediocre crop of three-year-olds.

If and when he races in the Breeder's Cup Classic, I would be surprised if he hit the board. LAST year's crop of three year olds was excellent, many of those will be racing in the Classic, and Big Brown will have his work cut out for him there---assuming he even competes.

46zilzal
08-04-2008, 12:21 PM
Part of my job in the thoroughbred industry, one to which I was ELECTED by a group of my peers in the industry, is in the choice of deserving horses in consideration of their being in the Canadian Thoroughbred Racing Hall of Fame. Entry here requires an overall knowledge of what quality race horses are all about with the yardstick of knowledgeable historical perspective ( an aspect totally lost on the "Johnny Come Lately" crowd).

http://www.canadianhorseracinghalloffame.com/committee.html

This "flash in the pan" wouldn't even be considered outside the narrow confines of the three year old category.

Tom
08-04-2008, 12:36 PM
For FUN? I talked to the DRF columnist about the "struggle" in a pedestrian time and asked: He was really under-wheling today wasn't he?. His response?: "That was putting it MILDLY."

What time would have been considered good by you experts?
1:47?
1:46?
Obviuously, for you to legitimatley label it pedestrian, you needed to have a yardstick...what was that time?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Tom
08-04-2008, 12:59 PM
BB - 9 furlongs - 1:48 and 1:48.1 Average 1:48.1/2

Secretariat - 9 furlongs - 1:45.2 (one turn), 1:49.1, 1:47, 1:49.4 average 1:47.4

Hmmmmm Pedestrian is a fifth and a half of the Great Secretariat?
BB seems to fit nicely in the middle of Big Red's best and worst.

JeremyJet
08-04-2008, 01:12 PM
The thing that people should keep in mind is that horses don't hold their form for their whole campaign ... especially when they have established super-fast figures in the past. His Beyer figures don't do him justice. He's much faster on The Sheets and Thoro-Graph. If he's healthy, he should improve off his Haskell effort.

JeremyJet

Tom
08-04-2008, 01:32 PM
Look at his races through the Preakness...not too shabby.
Then, his off race in the Belmont followed by a layoff.
He comes back to win the Haskell.

Note that Curlin lost this race last year, and the Belmont - chalk up one for BB.

Secretariat lost 2 of his next 4 races after the Triple crown. He finished second, but he did lose.

What will matter is his performance and the Beyers he posts in the next ( if any) few races.

Pedestrian? :lol::lol::lol: The race went in :4::6: and change!

broadreach
08-04-2008, 01:32 PM
Opinions can change after a blog I guess. Steven Crist not mincing words......

6:45 pm: Wow that was ugly. It's hard to imagine Big Brown racing again after his desperate, bearing-out victory in the Haskell, but stranger things have happened. And at least he'd go out a winner and with just one career defeat -- in the Belmont -- just like his future fellow Three Chimneys Farm stallion, Smarty Jones.

46zilzal
08-04-2008, 01:47 PM
Opinions can change after a blog I guess. Steven Crist not mincing words......

6:45 pm: Wow that was ugly. It's hard to imagine Big Brown racing again after his desperate, bearing-out victory in the Haskell, but stranger things have happened. And at least he'd go out a winner and with just one career defeat -- in the Belmont -- just like his future fellow Three Chimneys Farm stallion, Smarty Jones.
another expert chimes in with the SAME response: UGLY. That might be a synonym for pedestrian, average, nothing special, UNDERWHELMING.

Tom
08-04-2008, 02:14 PM
He didn't mention time...you did.

And what make Crist an expert? He is an author and administrator, not a trainer. He is just another stiff with an opinion.

Charlie D
08-04-2008, 02:39 PM
LAST year's crop of three year olds was excellent, many of those will be racing in the Classic.

So will Coolmore's multiple Group 1 winning 3yo Henrythenavigator, i believe

Stareagle
08-04-2008, 03:14 PM
another expert chimes in with the SAME response: UGLY. That might be a synonym for pedestrian, average, nothing special, UNDERWHELMING.

I'm glad you think it was ugly and pedestrian and underwhelming. I'll happily bet against people who make their gambling decisions using those criteria.

Marshall Bennett
08-04-2008, 03:31 PM
I'm glad you think it was ugly and pedestrian and underwhelming. I'll happily bet against people who make their gambling decisions using those criteria.
He feels if the winner doesn't pull off a '73 Belmont type win that they're not worth a damn .

Charlie D
08-04-2008, 03:56 PM
I'll happily bet against people who make their gambling decisions using those criteria.

Big Brown is currently quoted at around 5-1 for the BC Classic here and against horses like these

Curlin
Henrythenavigator
Asiatic Boy
Duke of Marmalade

I would gladly lay those odds win and place

Stareagle
08-04-2008, 04:21 PM
Big Brown is currently quoted at around 5-1 for the BC Classic here and against horses like these

Curlin
Henrythenavigator
Asiatic Boy
Duke of Marmalade

I would gladly lay those odds win and place

I wouldn't bet on any of those horses at 5-1 right now, because I don't have any faith that any of them will be in the starting gate at Santa Anita, much less win or place.

But I will say this - if you put a gun to my head and said that I had to pick one of those five horses as the most likely to win the BC Classic right now, I'd pick Big Brown.

I don't think Curlin will be there, I'm not a big fan of Asiatic Boy, I expect Duke to end up in the Arc, and Henrythenavigator is a brilliant turf miler.

Charlie D
08-04-2008, 04:45 PM
The horse from the list most likely to win the BC Classic is last years BC Classic winner

the rest need to improve to even get near him

Stareagle
08-04-2008, 04:48 PM
The horse from the list most likely to win the BC Classic is last years BC Classic winner

If he runs in the race, yes. I don't think he will.

point given
08-04-2008, 05:50 PM
All this conjecture made me wonder who will show up to run in the poly BC races anyways and how many will avoid it. then I wondered whether or not I will bet on the BC poly races this year as I donot have faith in my handicapping the surface. Maybe there should be a poll made as to how many people expect to bet on the poly BC and if so will they cutback on the amount of money they bet on it. I will bet the turf races, but i have problems with betting form on the poly and the different manufacturers of the poly and i am a horizontal bettor so that would curtail my action. As Dale Romans has pointed out about bettors and poly.- poly has made more $2 bettors out of $200 bettors . -

Robert Fischer
08-04-2008, 05:50 PM
Understanding how that track was playing is probably necessary for someone to have an appreciation of Brown's performance.

sandpit
08-04-2008, 06:33 PM
Understanding how that track was playing is probably necessary for someone to have an appreciation of Brown's performance.

At least those that are planning on betting on the BC will get to see a few weeks of racing on the new surface to see how it is playing. And if you're interested in seeing how the surface installation is going, there's a picture in the following story:

http://news.bloodhorse.com/article/46412.htm?id=46412 (http://news.bloodhorse.com/article/46412.htm?id=46412)

toetoe
08-04-2008, 06:39 PM
Zilz,

Didn't I read that in a Joe Hirsch column ? :confused:

WinterTriangle
08-08-2008, 06:43 AM
6:45 pm: Wow that was ugly. It's hard to imagine Big Brown racing again after his desperate, bearing-out victory in the Haskell.

BB ran a great race, but was anyone else concerned about that drifting out? Not the sign of a healthy horse, is it?

If anything like *heart* exists in a horse, he has it, but not sure his physical self will allow that indulgence?

onefast99
08-08-2008, 08:27 AM
BB ran a great race, but was anyone else concerned about that drifting out? Not the sign of a healthy horse, is it?

If anything like *heart* exists in a horse, he has it, but not sure his physical self will allow that indulgence?
The track was still a bit slower then MP would of liked it to be, several of the jockeys said the track was "tiring".