PDA

View Full Version : Sox's Trade Manny

IRISHLADSTABLE
07-31-2008, 08:01 PM
http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080730&content_id=3225450&vkey=news_bos&fext=.jsp&c_id=bos&partnerId=ed-1397295-55432320

OTM Al
08-01-2008, 01:26 PM
Can't wait to see his new haircut.....

Bubbles
08-01-2008, 05:58 PM
This may end up ranking as the third-worst trade in Sox history (Ruth to the Yanks is #1, Bagwell to Houston is #2). From Boston's perspective, sure, Manny's aging and not exactly a company man, but Bay is streaky, and not only did you give up Manny for him, you shipped off Hanson and Moss, two solid long-term prospects.

Could it be worth it? Sure, if Bay keeps up his pace, Manny retires in two or three years, and both prospects fizzle. That's a ton of if's, though, and in one of the most competitive division races in baseball, I don't see how it helps the Sox win right away. You could make the argument that with Bay, they'll be stronger for the future, but Ortiz will turn 33 this offseason. It's not exactly OLD, but with his recent health troubles in 2006 and 2008, the concerns mount up; after all, how good will the rest of the lineup be without Big Papi?

PeteKoch
08-02-2008, 11:06 AM
The Sox were not going to resign Manny/pick up his option. Since he was driving Francona nuts and many, if not most, of the Sox players also couldn't stand him, I can understand their getting rid of him NOW.

With the money they're not paying Manny, they can offer it to, say, Matt Holiday, who becomes a free-agent after the 2008 season. The scuttlebutt is that the Rockies aren't willing/able to compete in the Holiday sweepstakes.

Manny has been a great hitter, but he's on the decline. Holiday is all upside. Manny is a liability in the field and on the bases. Holiday's hustle won them the pennant last year (even though he was actually OUT at home in the SD game).

BTW, the Sox never traded Babe Ruth. They sold him to NYY for cash....

Bubbles
08-02-2008, 01:08 PM
Nowadays, that would be considered a trade. When the Suns gave up an NBA draft pick for cash, it was a trade.

When does Bay's deal expire? If they can keep him this year, why would they have to go after Holliday? He's a great hitter, I'm just not sure the Sox NEED him.

PeteKoch
08-03-2008, 09:14 AM
As a card-carrying Yankee hater, I hope Bay works out big time for the Sox. However, Holliday is an MVP-caliber player who improves each season. As something of a Philz-phile (we have a Phillies minor league team here in town), I was happy to see Rollins get the MVP last year, but even Rollins thought Holliday would have been deserving. Braun looks like the front-runner to win the 2008 NL MVP, but Holliday is right there on the short list again --.348 BA, 20HRs. Although his RBIs are down, that might be a Rockies' shortcoming, and not his.

I think Holliday will be the primo free agent this winter. Manny will be out there, but Holliday is younger, has more upside, and comes with tons less baggage. So even if Bay continues to shine, I think the Sox still make a play for an MVP-type. The Yanks and Mets, both with big holes in left, certainly will.

But you may be right. If Bay delivers and the Sox can keep him, they'll probably go after a shortstop. Plus Lowell and Varitec aren't getting any younger.

I wouldn't mind seeing Holliday at Citizens. Then the Phils could move Burrell for some pitching (Roy Halladay, e.g.), a catcher or a third baseman. I think I have had this same fantasy for the past 3 years now....:D

eastie
08-03-2008, 09:35 AM
As a huge Manny fan (favorite player) and a lifelong red sox fan. (was at game 6 and 7 in 75 ). I am sad to see Manny go, but he was sucking the life out of the red sox and had to be moved. I don't think the Angels plan to lose the World Series this year (they are THAT good), but if the Sox are to have any shot, this trade had to happen. Many was sick of their shitt and thay had enough of his shitt so for the good of all, they made the move. Everyone is making plenty of money, and Manny is a big part of why. I doubt we would have one ring let alone 2 rings without him, and as fans we will be forever grateful. So good luck Manny and tell Nomar he sucks for me. This is like when Nomar was sucking the life out of the sox before they finally got rid of his OCD ass. They end up winning the first ring that year. Good Trade.