PDA

View Full Version : any suggestions on successful ways to use HTR?

motorhead
07-30-2008, 09:08 AM
i am new to the program and searching for suggestions as to successful ways to use it

any/all help is greatly appreciated

thanks

njcurveball
07-30-2008, 09:30 AM
I would suggest a few things.

First, post questions on the HTR board since most here do not use the software.

Second, go to the site and read the Newsletters. They are archived back to 2000 and there is a ton of information.

Third, there is a User Manual on-line that Rick put together. Read that over to familiarize yourself with the program.

HTR is not a black box. It has many different ratings, factors, screens and lots of data. Some use workouts, some trainer stats, others the K rating, Cramer speed figures in sheet format, some use PED rating, etc.

There is a really amazing new auto scratch routine in the program which is the best thing going. One click and you have all the scratches! That is sweeeeeeet!

I will check the HTR board later for your questions.

Good luck to you,
Jim

PaceAdvantage
08-01-2008, 05:50 PM
First, post questions on the HTR board since most here do not use the software.Actually, I would venture a guess that a lot of people here who use software, use HTR. I use HTR.

Donnie
08-01-2008, 06:18 PM
I use HTR! :jump: :D

pktruckdriver
08-01-2008, 07:07 PM
Not me Not Yet :bang: :mad:

Tom Barrister
08-01-2008, 07:07 PM
I would venture that over half of all winning horseplayers use HTR at least for one source of information.

RichieP
08-02-2008, 07:32 AM
I would venture that over half of all winning horseplayers use HTR at least for one source of information.

plus 9 out of 10 doctors recommend it

rokitman
08-02-2008, 09:12 AM
I'm not sure if I am using HTR or it is using me.

PaceAdvantage
08-03-2008, 12:35 PM
Wow, seven replies, and only one of them so far offered any sort of actual reply to the original poster's request....I'm guilty as well...

So, here's my suggestion...concentrate on races with low Vi ratings, 25 and under, model the race with MaxVel and look for any horses the model points to at 7-1 or higher...you might also want to check out the longshot chart on htr2.com and concentrate only on tracks that appear in the top half of the list...

JBmadera
08-03-2008, 12:41 PM
I love the Robot function esp for FTS grass, PED>450, FT>50. also IMP=1, PER is Top and then compare MLO to KLine....as an aside the HTR price horses did very well in the late races at AP yesterday.....Lemon Spice saved the day....:jump:

Tom
08-03-2008, 05:51 PM
Read the old newsletters.

Learn to use the robot - you can find out really fast what is winning and where. I have found many, many extremely profitable short term angles this way.

Use the PPX screen or Quick PPX screen - a real gem to find changes that can lead to bombs that the public will never be aware of.

Read the old newsletters, and go back and read the archives. Search for "speed figures" for starters - there is a wealth of stuff that will show up. Check out the sheets guy - real sharp and knows the sheets type patterns...he posted some good advice on form cycles.

If you have trouble interpreting fps ratings, use the <D> hot key to view the fps screen in prat mode - 57.65 would be expressed as 97 - easier to see how the various horses match up.

Log on and ask questions.

Donnie
08-03-2008, 07:05 PM
When in FIG2 mode, hit the "F" key and it will filter to "like" distance and surface....sometimes that's all you need to see!

But, yes, read the newsletters. Ask questions on the board. No such thing as a stupid question....we've all been in your shoes before you!

pktruckdriver
08-03-2008, 09:34 PM
My last stupid question for awhile.

What is easier to learn HSH or HTR?

Just your own opinion, please.

THANK YOU

Dave Schwartz
08-03-2008, 10:37 PM
HTR.

ddog
08-03-2008, 10:57 PM
if you are just starting out look at the mid level vi races for your track and look for "gap" k horses.

play races with 8 or more and hope to find something along the lines of k111 k105 k 100 k99 k90 k86 k80 etc.

look for horses around that k98-90 in those races.
you should find a decent spread of winners and odds among those.

check the htr rating for prices along with the wrk rating.

if you fish in the lowest vi the vel and k numbers tend to break down, that is the purpose of the vi.

you will or should find some patterns among the tracks you play that will lead you to a decent roi.

trust the k and the htr and just lightly look at the fps pattern from the last few races or use the fig2 or ppq screen to get a quick view of the form of the horse.

make sure to pay attention to the fr3 and lv1 horses if at odds.

lots more but if starting you should be good in the above.

The program is deceptivly "simple" on it's face.
The more you dig and use it though you maybe surprised.

Topcat
08-04-2008, 12:46 AM

Maybe half of winning contest players in a particualr contest? -or maybe you were joking and I missed the <G> but come on there is no factual basis for that statement.

I respectfully say contest because when I tried HTR that seemed to be a large part of the focus for users-handicapping contest.

JBmadera
08-04-2008, 06:44 AM
if you are just starting out look at the mid level vi races for your track and look for "gap" k horses.

play races with 8 or more and hope to find something along the lines of k111 k105 k 100 k99 k90 k86 k80 etc.

look for horses around that k98-90 in those races.
you should find a decent spread of winners and odds among those.

check the htr rating for prices along with the wrk rating.

if you fish in the lowest vi the vel and k numbers tend to break down, that is the purpose of the vi.

you will or should find some patterns among the tracks you play that will lead you to a decent roi.

trust the k and the htr and just lightly look at the fps pattern from the last few races or use the fig2 or ppq screen to get a quick view of the form of the horse.

make sure to pay attention to the fr3 and lv1 horses if at odds.

lots more but if starting you should be good in the above.

The program is deceptivly "simple" on it's face.
The more you dig and use it though you maybe surprised.

I agree with the aforementioned, esp the part about patterns and digging into the features/functions. I'm still pretty new to HTR but I work with it each day and each day I learn something new. There's a ton of great info on the HTR website and when I have posted questions on the board I have gotten in depth answers.

For someone like me who has a weird work schedule a product HTR is a must.

njcurveball
08-04-2008, 09:18 AM
suggestions as to successful ways to use it

Looks like you got a good thread going here, perhaps you could come back and tell us what you are doing now, what type of bettor you are, and what ways you would like to use it.

If you want to handicap 150 races in a day, you certainly can do it with HTR. If you want to automate your spot plays, you certainly can. If you want to get trainer and workout information, sure. Cramer speed figures, yes.

If you are a "real time" player and want to update the program with scratches at the click of a button, it is there now.

No way on this wonderful green Earth 50% of any tournament or winning players in general are using this program. If they were, I would quickly leave and start using something else.

One thing you need to come to terms with to be successful is that in any given race there are 3,4,5, or even more "right" answers. Going back after the race to "train" yourself to get the right one is an exercise in futiility.

Everyone has a different method and even though all of us want to be profitable, many choose a method that has very little chance of doing that in the long run. Esepcially if that method is contrary to your natural tendencies.

Take the good advice about the VI rating. I have had sequences using an approach with longer priced horses where in a 30 race sequence I lose 12 in a row, then win 3 in a row, than lose 15 in a row. The 3 winners average $30, so that is a very nice 50% profit.

However, if you are not flat betting with the long term in mind, you might just give up after the 7th, 8th, 9th loss. And even if you stick with it, after the 3rd win, you might feel you are "hot" and start doubling up, tripling up, spreading in exotics, etc.

I cannot give you advice to be profitable in the long run with a few clicks or a simple 1,2,3 do this, do that. Wish I could, cause I would do the same!

Here is one thing I have found to be true across the board. Most successful players do not "chase chalk" Those that bet horses like Big Brown brag the most and win the least.

Was it Uncle Vinnie who said (when asked if he was going to play a hot favorite) if you got the 5 what do you need the 3 for? ;)

If you want to be consistent and profitable you need to find something that works in the 12 to 20% win range long term. Anything higher will make you feel good but cost you money. Anything lower will drive you crazy.

Jim

Jingle
08-04-2008, 09:37 PM
Tom--good info for a new HTR user. Could you elaborate on how you change the FPS numbers to whole numbers in the example you gave? You mentioned hitting the <D> hot key on the FPS screen but it doesn't seem to work for me. I'm a little slow top begin with.

Thanks

Donnie
08-04-2008, 10:03 PM
If you have trouble interpreting fps ratings, use the <D> hot key to view the fps screen in prat mode - 57.65 would be expressed as 97 - easier to see how the various horses match up.

Jingle-
I think Tom meant the "P" key here. Go to the FPS screen then toggle by using the "P" key.

Jingle
08-05-2008, 12:07 AM
Thanks Donnie--much appreciated.

Tom
08-05-2008, 10:55 AM
Duh....of course, P for Prat, (Not D for Drat!);)

Donnie
08-05-2008, 11:09 AM
Tom (and others)--
Are you aware of all the Easter Eggs KM has put in his latest rendetion of the program? If you got the E-book from Rick (the webmaster over there), then you should have most of them. Everytime he updates the software he puts more and more little surprises in it!
BTW-- the "D" was for distance/surface filtering while in the DFigs2 (named after me for Donnie Figs, not D-Rat!!! :lol: )

Tom
08-05-2008, 12:41 PM
I meant D Rating! ;)

Jingle
08-05-2008, 03:40 PM
Thanks Tom--got it <P>.

motorhead
08-07-2008, 01:40 AM
thank to all that were so generous with their advice

i know there are quite a few ways of using a tool like this and wanted to hear different perspectives

i do have one other question

if you were ,say, using the robot and found a spot play with potential, how many races would you test before using it/deeming it profitable?

Tom
08-07-2008, 07:34 AM
One year.
Keep a full year's data in the folder and test off of that.

BillW
08-07-2008, 10:29 AM
And make sure that the sample that you confirm the play with is different than the one you used to formulate it to avoid back fitting.