PDA

View Full Version : How bad was it?

Tom
07-30-2008, 09:08 AM
The Claifornia earthquake that is.

It was so bad......Pamela Anderson suffered two black eyes,

Marshall Bennett
07-30-2008, 09:22 AM
oh.... I thought those were just dark bags under her eyes from not sleeping for a week . :)

Tom
07-30-2008, 09:53 AM
Kirstie Alley is still jiggling.

DJofSD
07-30-2008, 10:21 AM
It was the usual mid-level shaker. We felt it in San Diego 120 miles to the south.

The frequent guest on Coast to Coast is taking credit for predicting it.

Tom
07-30-2008, 10:35 AM
Hope no one was getting a vasectomy! :eek:

DJofSD
07-30-2008, 10:56 AM
Have we heard from any mohels?

Dave Schwartz
07-30-2008, 11:22 AM
Have we heard from any mohels?

I am dying to ask you to explain this but am a little afraid of the answer. :lol:

I have a son who is doing a summer architectural internship on the 60th floor of the US Bank building in Los Angeles. He was "up there" during the earthquake and said, "It was an interesting ride." Then they left the building and went on their previously scheduled walk to Santa Monica.

(I guess the walk was part of an exercise to notice interesting architecture along the way.)

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

PS: For those who might be interested, that building is the tallest west of the Mississippi.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Bank_Tower

DJofSD
07-30-2008, 11:47 AM
I am dying to ask you to explain this but am a little afraid of the answer.

Oy vay! you don't see it's just an attempt at cutting edge humor?

Tom
07-30-2008, 12:00 PM
My uncle usesd to say "Here comes the mohel..take off your hat!"

Dave Schwartz
07-30-2008, 12:07 PM
Oy vay! you don't see it's just an attempt at cutting edge humor?

:bang: :lol:

Hosshead
07-31-2008, 06:28 AM
I was only about 7 miles from the epicenter and it hit Hard. (and I've felt a lot of them over the years)

I could hear the "rumble" first. Like a semitruck's rumble coming closer. At the same time an overall vibration , nothing dramatic,.. but increasing. But it was both together that touched a memory bank. And in only a few seconds your mind is racing , realizing what is about to happen with unknown intensity. Is this the "Big One"?

You also realize that the rumble and vibration is a long way off, but it's like a carpet that has been "flapped" at one end, and what you're hearing/feeling is just the minor part of an earthquake, a precursor to a large "wave" in the carpet... Coming Toward YOU !
And for those few seconds you're just sitting there, waiting for it to "get" to you. No time to run.

Then it hits. Not a little vibration any more,.. hard jolts that start shaking the walls and everything around you, including you. As this is happening your mind is in full race mode, trying to distinguish a lessoning in the tremondous power unleashed on you. And at the same time trying to save yourself and property around you.

I was on the 2nd floor (top floor). Decided I'd ride the top floor down, rather than get caught trying to scurry out the bottom floor (like a rat) and end up with the 2nd floor on top of me. You still don't know, Is This The Big One?

And then the wave has passed. But wait, is there another wave coming?
Do you go outside where a power line/tree/glass could fall on you?
How long will it be until you know it's safe?

The water main to my place was ripped. Finally got the water back on today.
Of course in any, even semi- tense situation, and you can count on this no matter where you live, ... cell phones are useless, until there is no crisis of course.
So if you ever have a major disaster and want to get in touch with anyone, I hope you're a ham radio operator.

Another day in S. Calif.

Now back to the jokes.