PDA

View Full Version : What ever happened to the Green Monkey

Bruddah
07-28-2008, 09:38 PM
After his last race (?) a 4th on the grass, did they finally give up on him? Did they sell him to connections in another country? Just curious.

Looking for someone which might know the rest of the story. This is another horse which fell out of the headlines.

ghostyapper
07-28-2008, 09:57 PM
He was retired at the end of last year as a maiden. I don't remember hearing a stud fee.

magwell
07-28-2008, 09:57 PM
In Ocala {farm}

Bruddah
07-28-2008, 10:18 PM
I knew you guys could be counted on for information. :ThmbUp:

onefast99
07-28-2008, 10:57 PM
How do you think the owners feel now after driving up the price of that one at the sale and he turns out to be a bust. :bang:

mylosh
07-29-2008, 12:00 AM
The Green Monkey makes Joe Smith and Michael Olwankandi look like Lebron James

this is one of the most interesting stories to me and his purchase actually got me intetested in horse racing

16 Mill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WTF?

What was the rationale behind this?

Bruddah
07-29-2008, 03:36 AM
The Green Monkey makes Joe Smith and Michael Olwankandi look like Lebron James

this is one of the most interesting stories to me and his purchase actually got me intetested in horse racing

16 Mill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WTF?

What was the rationale behind this?

Just Big Bucks and Big Ego's. :faint:
Somehow Justice finds its' own way and prevails. :ThmbUp:

KingChas
07-29-2008, 08:17 AM
How do you think the owners feel now after driving up the price of that one at the sale and he turns out to be a bust. :bang:

Probably bad, they should have named him the "Green Donkey". :D

onefast99
07-29-2008, 08:45 AM
Probably bad, they should have named him the "Green Donkey". :D
Tickets to get to the sale....$1620.00
Buying one of the most sought after horses at the sale $16 million
Knowing you just made the biggest mistake of your horse buying life...f*in priceless
Next time bring the American Express card because they dont take it!:eek:

OTM Al
07-29-2008, 09:33 AM
$16M is nothing to these guys. He only cost that much because of ego.

Marshall Bennett
07-29-2008, 09:41 AM
I was thinking the same thing . Like you or I paying a hundred bucks , so what if he can't run . :D

Fingal
07-29-2008, 11:02 AM

Once these guys have all the money in the world, what's left besides the spitting contest ?:faint:

MickJ26
07-29-2008, 11:47 AM
I would've thought The Green Monkey would've been made into long distance turf horse. I saw him in the paddock at Belmont and he's one of the tallest horses I've ever seen.

cj's dad
07-29-2008, 12:02 PM

Did $16 million cash actually change hands or were there built in contingencies based on performance, breeding rights, etc... ??

ghostyapper
07-29-2008, 12:28 PM
Did $16 million cash actually change hands or were there built in contingencies based on performance, breeding rights, etc... ??

If I remember correctly the final price was $16 million with no contingencies. 2 rich guys got into a bidding war. The hoopla over the horse was because he ran a sub 10 furlong or something similiar

matthewsiv
07-29-2008, 01:37 PM
Bidding war between Sheikh Mo and the Magnier Clan.

Probably never to be repeated.

Horse named after Sandy Lane's new golf course.

The golf course is better.

The horse is now at Harley And De Renzo's in Ocala waiting for next years covering season.

He should be giving Donkey rides on Holetown Beach in Barbados.

Pace Cap'n
07-29-2008, 04:53 PM
And there is probably a good tax write-off somewhere in that deal.

CBedo
07-29-2008, 05:16 PM
Another (although extreme) example of trying to extrapolate a baby running a furlong to him winning the triple crown....just missed it!

Bruddah
07-29-2008, 06:47 PM
He should be giving Donkey rides on Holetown Beach in Barbados.

That's the same way I felt before he ran his first race. His w/o times were atrocious and they kept delaying his first start. If they had a $16m horse worth running, he would of been on the track much sooner. They kept giving him excuses, until there were no more they could make up.

mylosh
07-29-2008, 09:48 PM
does anyone have any website that has stats of how well pricey horses actually perform

I know rags to riches cost 1.9 million, so I guess she was worth it, but I mean for the most part do these high priced guys pan out?

ghostyapper
07-29-2008, 11:59 PM
does anyone have any website that has stats of how well pricey horses actually perform

I know rags to riches cost 1.9 million, so I guess she was worth it, but I mean for the most part do these high priced guys pan out?

When going past the 5 million dollar mark the success rate is practically zero. The green monkey never won
Seattle Dancer (13 mil)earned a little over 100k and was an ok sire
Snaffi Dancer (10 mil) never raced and was sterile
There was a filly that sold for 8 mill a few years back and I haven't heard a word about her since so the outcome couldn't have been too good.

onefast99
07-30-2008, 09:31 AM
When going past the 5 million dollar mark the success rate is practically zero. The green monkey never won
Seattle Dancer (13 mil)earned a little over 100k and was an ok sire
Snaffi Dancer (10 mil) never raced and was sterile
There was a filly that sold for 8 mill a few years back and I haven't heard a word about her since so the outcome couldn't have been too good.\
There was also a horse running over the winter at the fairgrounds who was purchased for 1.5m he was running in 10k claimers I believe a 4 year old now(maybe 5) owned by three sisters stables? Anyone know about this one?

Bruddah
07-30-2008, 11:19 AM
you can have all the money to afford the best Nicking reports and Bloodline recommendations and it's still Vodoo and luck of the draw. The folks who sold the Green Monkey at a 2yo in training sale, laughed all the way to the Bank and I can't blame them.

The Monkey was forced to run an 1/8th as fast as a baby could. Psycologically he was through. He never wanted to run again. In my opinion, the really good young colts are Homebreds which aren't rushed. Again JMHO.

joanied
07-30-2008, 02:01 PM
The Green Monkey (I think he decided he wasn't gonna be a runner just based on his name!!!!) is a great example, along with several other high priced horses that did nada, that a high price tag means squat...when are those guys going to learn...and selling for prices like that hurts everyone...higher stud fees ect ect.

Some of the best horse to hit the race track have been purchased for well under $100,000.

The times at the under tack shows for these babies are ridiculous...and just about any baby could run 1/8th in 10 flat (or less, which is a crime)...don't mean much, IMHO.
If you are a GOOD horseman, watching these youngsters in a few 'two minute' licks, should tell you what they might be capable of.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how many mares he gets booked, and then how his babies do on the track. he does have exceptional bloodlines, so who knows, might turn out to be a very nice stallion.

davew
09-15-2012, 08:29 AM
the $16 million dollar horse had his first winner a couple weeks back

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/72534/the-green-monkey-sires-first-winner

forced89
09-15-2012, 09:10 AM
Could be worth a shot to buy one of his yearlings in the $1,500 - $2,500 range. With a decently bred dam I'd make a bid or two. Of course I once bought a Canonero II weanling for $900 and that didn't work out at all.

Paseana
09-15-2012, 12:46 PM
I never could understand what drove the bidding on that colt. I know about the ridiculous preview time and all that, but still........$16M? The egos of a couple of outfits with bottomless pockets is truly the only explanation for it.

I do think it might have had something to do with Discreet Cat (also by Forestry). While that one had only broken his maiden at the Spa the previous August and had already been whisked off to Dubai as was routine for Godolphin 2yos, Sheikh Mo and company must have known they had something special there. After the blistering preview, they wanted this "new Forestry star" something awful. The problem for them was that Coolmore wanted him just as bad, and hence the most obscene bidding war since Seattle Dancer.

By the end of that year (2006), Forestry had become one of the hottest things on the planet. Between the 3yo exploits of Discreet Cat and that infamous 2yo sale, his stud fee skyrocketed......I'm not 100% sure, but I think it did hit 6 figures at some point. Over all, with 10 crops to race, he's actually turned out to be a minor disappointment. Except for Discreet Cat, Shackleford, and a few other nice and useful horses, there really hasn't been much. His 2012 advertised fee was $11,500.

Sheikh Mohammed dodged a bullet there. I don't imagine that he enjoys being embarrassed......it was bad enough that he was the known underbidder in that debacle. In hindsight, I'm sure he was happy and relieved to have lost THAT contest.

netbet
09-15-2012, 01:18 PM
On this day in racing history....9/15/2007

The Green Monkey debuted at Belmont. He finished 3rd....

Paseana
09-15-2012, 01:51 PM
On this day in racing history....9/15/2007

The Green Monkey debuted at Belmont. He finished 3rd....

Now, THAT is just plain eerie..... :eek:

deathandgravity
09-15-2012, 07:06 PM
He stands for $5000

Only need to bred him 3200 times to make their money back

Stillriledup
09-16-2012, 07:40 PM
I heard from a person who is 'inside' the game that this 16 million dollar purchase price was a buncha BS. I would imagine that it isnt too hard for someone to spend 'any amount' on a horse if the breeder/owner tells the buyer that he will wire most of that money back to him after the smoke clears.

Is there really any rule that says i cant buy my pal's horse for a zillion dollars and then my pal can give me the money back after the fact?