PDA

View Full Version : Software Help. Please !!!

John
07-28-2008, 12:55 PM
Hey Guys,

I have a problem and would appreciate your helping me.

I installed an old software program. It is up and running. However when I click-on a race. A box pops up that says," "Runtime Error "6" OVERFLOW."

Thanks

ryesteve
07-28-2008, 02:10 PM
Sounds like a sloppy programmer is trying to divide something by zero. Without the source code and a compiler, there's not much you can do about it.

Dave Schwartz
07-28-2008, 02:27 PM
This could be some kind of memory manager issue. Some old DOS programs just will not run well under windows.

John
07-28-2008, 02:29 PM
Thanks guys, Too bad I kinda liked the program.

bigmack
07-28-2008, 02:36 PM
That ain't gonna work no mo, John.

You realize it's OK for old guys to use new software? :cool:

DJofSD
07-28-2008, 02:40 PM
If this is being run under Windows XP, try this: locate the program -- Windows Explorer if you know where to look otherwise right mouse button click the Start button then select Search then enter the filename in the first field then let Windows find it.

Once you've got a Windows Explorer showing you the program file, right mouse button click on the program which should show you a pop up window with Properties at the bottom. Select Properties.

In the properties pop up, select the Compatibility tab. In the middle of the pop up there should be a check box labeled "Run this program....". Clicking that box will activate the drop down selection box. Try some of the other versions of Windows compatibity to see if you can get lucky.

If none of that works, try the same trial and error using the various memory options under the Memories tab. Again, you have to try different things to see if you can get the old program to work under Windows.

Good luck.

JustRalph
07-28-2008, 02:41 PM
you can try running the program in a different mode.............compatibility mode

right click on the shortcut and hit properties. Go to the "compatibility" tab and try it a couple of different ways............you never know

Tom
07-28-2008, 03:50 PM
I had that problem a while back, and I solved it by doing something with "mem maker, or memory maker?". Try Google.

Can't recall the details, but it cleared it up for me. Something to do with changing available or assigned memory, I think, but that might have been in W98 or even W95....it was a while back with a Sartin program.

RichieP
07-28-2008, 03:59 PM
John
Download and Install Version 5.0 from here:
http://www.tamedos.com/downloads/downloads.htm

It is free and virus/malware free.

Once installed run your Dos prog.

gm10
07-28-2008, 04:00 PM
Hey Guys,

I have a problem and would appreciate your helping me.

I installed an old software program. It is up and running. However when I click-on a race. A box pops up that says," "Runtime Error "6" OVERFLOW."

Thanks

the program is trying to assign a value to a variable that is too big for the variable's type
typical eample would be setting a numerical value to something divided by 0

michiken
07-28-2008, 06:23 PM
Try downloading DOSBOX (http://www.dosbox.com/) which is a free dos emulator.

I use it on Linux to run some old windows programs and it works fine.

Some of the guys over at pace and cap also use it to run old Sartin programs.