PDA

View Full Version : Ruidoso Downs under water!

Wickel
07-27-2008, 11:45 AM
There will be no record attempt for Pepper's Pride today. The remnants of Hurricane Dolly engulfed the town of Ruidoso last night and the town is under water. Local TV is reporting it's the worst flooding in the area ever. I can imagine what the track looks like, cause it floods easily, being situated beneath a mountain and all. Serious situation.

stu
07-27-2008, 04:15 PM
http://www.koat.com/video/17005532/index.html

boomman
07-28-2008, 01:21 AM
We were told at Yavapai that there is something like 4 foot of water in the jocks room! Having spent nearly 20 years working at racetracks in New Mexico, I have many friends at Ruidoso, and my thoughts and prayers go out to them..........

Boomer

stu
07-28-2008, 09:14 AM
I have seen photos taken by cell phones that show the 'place and show' pools on the tote board under water.

The flooding is very bad. There are news reports of people missing having been swept away by the Rio Ruidoso river.

jognlope
07-28-2008, 09:28 AM
Good job warning campers:

http://www.koat.com/video/17009859/index.html

Wickel
07-28-2008, 12:37 PM
www.ruidosonews.com/news/ci_10015200

Story says the remainder of the Ruidoso Downs meet might be moved to Zia Downs. R.D. Hubbard vows to get the track up to snuff in time for the All American Futurity trials. Just checking out the photos, I'm thinking Zia will enjoy its first All American.

stu
07-28-2008, 08:47 PM
www.ruidosonews.com/news/ci_10015200

Story says the remainder of the Ruidoso Downs meet might be moved to Zia Downs. R.D. Hubbard vows to get the track up to snuff in time for the All American Futurity trials. Just checking out the photos, I'm thinking Zia will enjoy its first All American.

I have heard rumors of the move to Zia Park; however, the article from the URL which you posted states differently.

"The racetrack's owner, R.D. Hubbard, said Sunday he plans to finish the 2008 season at Ruidoso Downs."

stu
07-29-2008, 10:06 AM
http://www.koat.com/video/17019832/index.html

This KOAT piece discusses the effort to save the racing season at Ruidoso Downs

Rackon
07-29-2008, 05:33 PM
Looking at the videos online and at CNN, and knowing a small bit about track maintenance, RD looks like a tall order to get ready for racing very soon.

stu
07-29-2008, 07:02 PM
www.ruidownsracing.com

Latest News
Ruidoso Racing To Resume Saturday,

Training on Track Begins Friday

RUIDOSO DOWNS, New Mexico (July 29, 2008) – After seven inches of rain caused considerable damage to the racing surface, Ruidoso Downs is planning on resuming racing on Saturday after missing only three days of racing.

The storm was caused by the remnants of Hurricane Dolly and caused extensive damage in Ruidoso and along the Rio Ruidoso. One person was killed, about 600 people were rescued, about 500 homes and other structures were damaged and the county was declared a disaster area by Governor Bill Richardson on Monday. Early damage estimates in Ruidoso are in the $15-million to $20-million range.

At Ruidoso Downs, the racing surface and the jockey quarters suffered the most severe damage. The grandstand remained in working order and all of the 1,400 horses are safe in their dry stalls.

Ruidoso Downs racing was cancelled on Sunday, during the height of the storm, and will not be held on Thursday or Friday. Training will resume on Friday morning at Ruidoso Downs.

“The track maintenance crew did absolutely amazing job getting the track so we can resume racing,” said Ruidoso Downs president and general manager Ann McGovern. The crew that restored the racing surface is headed by track superintendent Terry Brown and track consultant Dennis Moore, who arrived from California on Sunday night to work on the restoration project.

First post time on Saturday and Sunday afternoon will be the usual 1 p.m. first post time.

On Saturday night at Ruidoso Downs, Cross Canadian Ragweed will perform at 8 p.m.

Information on what races will be held this weekend is forthcoming.

Wickel
07-29-2008, 09:44 PM
Amazing. I thought the season was lost. On to the AA trials.