PDA

View Full Version : The American rallies and an observation

superfecta
03-06-2003, 01:01 AM
After a weekend of rallies to support the troops,I find it peculiar and sad that a well known flag waver has decided to gloss over these events.
The talk host Glenn Beck had two events to celebrate the troops and our country.Many other events sprang up to celebrate as well,we had one in Tulsa and one in Oklahoma City.Both were well recieved as were the others around the country.Of course the major media outlets did not cover them much,or focused on the protesters that attended these rallys.(which is nothing new)
But what is sad(but does not surprise me)is that a major pro american media outlet did not address these gatherings.
I guess if you are not part of the idea,its better to ignore it in his mind.But I say if it is an idea that you promote(patriotism and the people who protect it)why not promote gatherings that celebrate this fact?Other radio personalities promoted these rallies,even though they had no direct involvement.
But I figured this guy out long ago(or I think I did),but I still find it sad that he couldn't help promote patriotism because he didn't come up with the idea of pro American rallies in the face of all the Anti-war protests.
I listened to his program before and after these gatherings and was struck by this ,even when given opportunties to address them.Maybe he did at some point and I missed it,but I don't think so.I know he was given opportunities to address it but I never heard any comments.:confused:

Lefty
03-06-2003, 12:36 PM
Well, I could follow along better, or agree or not agree a little better if I knew who you were talking about. Please enlighten us.

superfecta
03-06-2003, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by Lefty
Well, I could follow along better, or agree or not agree a little better if I knew who you were talking about. Please enlighten us. Well,if you don't know who I 'm talking about,you must not be a Dittohead:)

Tom
03-06-2003, 08:33 PM
He is just a lovable fuzzball. <G>

Lefty
03-07-2003, 01:59 AM
Big Rush fan, but I only get to listen to an hour or two then off to the races.

JustRalph
03-07-2003, 05:23 AM
Join Rush's website and you can listen anytime you want. He has about a week at a time or more archived for members only. I listen sometimes late at night or when I am out in the garage working etc.

A pair of 900mhz wireless speakers plugged into the soundcard work wonders all over the house. Radio Shack 49$ bucks on sale. :cool:

Zaf
03-07-2003, 08:46 AM
Big Rush fan, but I only get to listen to an hour or two then off to the races.

Yeah I a big Rush fan also, I listen to an hour of 2112, Fly by Night, and moving pictures and then its off to the races.

ZAFONIC

Zaf
03-07-2003, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Tom@HTR
He is just a lovable fuzzball. <G>

Tom, traitor ? , from the looks of your AVATAR :D

ZAFONIC

Lefty
03-07-2003, 12:04 PM
super, prob. with your observation is Rush does not organize or even suggest events. He once was accused of telling people to call Wash and voice their displeasure. This was several yrs ago.
He told the reporter that he had never done it but if he did he could "shut dn" the switchboard. To prove his point he dis ask people to call Wash. on that day. He did cause them to shut dn the switchboard.
Don't know why he snubbed your event(if he did) maybe he just didn't know about it., but it certainly wasn't because it wasn't his idea. Why don't you e-mail him or try to call the show?

Tom
03-07-2003, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by zafonic
Tom, traitor ? , from the looks of your AVATAR :D

ZAFONIC

A tribute to PA....so many talented and interested 'cappers here some of us have to move out <G>
Seriously though, HTR is my main program.

superfecta
03-07-2003, 08:13 PM
super, prob. with your observation is Rush does not organize or even suggest events. He once was accused of telling people to call Wash and voice their displeasure. This was several yrs ago.
He told the reporter that he had never done it but if he did he could "shut dn" the switchboard. To prove his point he dis ask people to call Wash. on that day. He did cause them to shut dn the switchboard.
Don't know why he snubbed your event(if he did) maybe he just didn't know about it., but it certainly wasn't because it wasn't his idea. Why don't you e-mail him or try to call the show? He has done these types of things before(remember Rush to excellence tour?)or(Dans Bake sale?)and he does public speaking egagements on the weekends.
What gets me is that he took calls from people that mentioned these rallies ,not as the subject of their calls,they just happened to mention it in the conversation ,both before and after they took place and he didn't address them.If anything why not ask "what rallies?",if you don't ask ,then that means you know.So it struck me as selfish and egotistical to not mention these rallies because another Radio personality brought it up.
But like I said ,I figured out this guys schtick the first week I heard him,so it really didn't surprise me but saddened me to think heres another guy who talks about how bad the liberal media is,but when it comes down to doing something to promote a belief you profess(pro american support) he won't do it because he can't get any of the credit.
He is just like the people he ridicules in his program.
Oh and just because I think he is a fraud doesn't mean I don't listen to what he says,sometimes he is entertaining.
That website he has is such a rehash of his program and an ego boost for him,I don't waste my time on it.But like i said ,I do listen to his program,just take it with a grain of salt.

Lefty
03-07-2003, 08:59 PM
super, I will just disagree with you. You're entitled to your opinion but Rush was the only guy answering the liberal left, who had all the media to themselves until he came along. He has spawned so many other conservative talk shows that the libs now fear him and complain they haven't a voice.
His tours was not activism. Just a guy making the conservative voice heard and promoting his show. He didn't advocate ay demonstrations.
Don's bake-sale was "wonderful" accident. This guy Don calls up and tells Rush someone is copying Rushes newsletter and sending it to him. Rush crys "that's illegal. Buy your own.
Don says he can't afford it.
Rush says, well have a bake sale or something,.
And the rest, as they say, is history.
I like and respect Rush, but if you don't, that's up to you.

JustRalph
03-07-2003, 09:09 PM
The website re-hashes the show on purpose. It is there for people who missed a few days of the show. As a member you can listen anytime you want for the last seven days worth of shows. I don't think he is a fraud. I also think he is entertaining. But most of the time he is right. That is why he is so successful. You can't go on for as long as he has being wrong. People will bail out on you. He has more listeners now than ever. You have apparently made up your mind. Then again you quote Sheryl Crow on the end of all your posts. I would call her a fraud. Definite Hypocrite anyway. But she is entertaining, sometimes. And I do listen to her music every once in a while. So I guess it goes both ways. ! :cool:

superfecta
03-07-2003, 09:49 PM
I just thought well...maybe this guy can make brownie points with some of the listeners that really don't buy all he is selling by proving us wrong (not that he needs to).I can agree with some of what he says(honestly,even if I am not a rigid conservative,I have some of the views he does).But What makes me feel even better is we can have this conversation in an orderly fashion and not mock one another even if we don't see exactly eye to eye on this point.
I guess thats why I like this board so much.

P.S. Ralph,I don't agree with S.C at all when it comes to her political views,but I like the music.
The reason I use her line is because it strikes me ironic(a happy sounding tune,but the last line sounds like she is going to go on a shooting spree in the near future).I doubt she meant this,she probably is anti-gun as well as anti-war.But for a 40 yr old she is a talented writer and nice to look at.;)

Tom
03-07-2003, 09:50 PM
Like their music, could care less what they think poltically. Same with actors. Like Martin Sheen-he thinks that because he plays a president his opinion is important. It isn't. He is one of my favorite actors, actually, for many years, but I could care less what he thinks. In real life, we don't have cue cards.
Or should I ay...QUE cards? hehehe.

JustRalph
03-07-2003, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by superfecta
The reason I use her line is because it strikes me ironic(a happy sounding tune,but the last line sounds like she is going to go on a shooting spree in the near future).I doubt she meant this,she probably is anti-gun as well as anti-war.But for a 40 yr old she is a talented writer and nice to look at.;)

Nice to Look at for sure. I didn't know she was forty. It does sound like she is singing about wearing a gun. Point taken. :cool: