PDA

View Full Version : Are you retiring at age 62?

jognlope
07-25-2008, 08:51 AM
And continuing to work part-time? Or waiting until 65, or 70?

(I can't wait, I'm telling you I am bone tired, got 6 more years to go, starting to do man pushups just to gain strength -- now that is a sight to see)

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_2_210.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxdm824NWUS)

JBmadera
07-25-2008, 12:02 PM
I'm looking at 52- :) .....assuming the current bear market doesn't turn into a full fledged '30's style collapse! after >1M+ miles on UA, etc my body is worn out!

jb

so.cal.fan
07-25-2008, 02:17 PM
Keep working everyone.

Overlay
07-25-2008, 07:26 PM
I'd be eligible for full retirement in seven months (at age 55). If I were single, I'd be out then. Unfortunately (but just from a timing standpoint), my daughter graduates from high school next spring. So I've got a few more years to go (maybe 59-1/2, after she's through with post-secondary education, and my traditional IRA kicks in).

LutherCalvin
07-25-2008, 08:08 PM
I took early retirement at age 53. Retirement lasted 3 months. It's not all it's made out to be. I went back to work part-time and now work 30 hours per week. Working is good for your health.

cmoore
07-25-2008, 08:25 PM
I took early retirement at age 53. Retirement lasted 3 months. It's not all it's made out to be. I went back to work part-time and now work 30 hours per week. Working is good for your health.

I'm far from retirement but I have been layed off for 3 months straight in the past. After 2 months I was getting a little restless. Staying home and betting the horses, playing poker and shooting hoop was cool and all. But traveling or buying toys all costs money. Unless you have a lot of it coming in, I'd keep working.

JustRalph
07-25-2008, 09:48 PM
take it from me. You can only Fish, Play the horses, Watch Nascar and chase the wife around the house so much.

The Judge
07-25-2008, 11:07 PM
I retired at 56 years of age it would have been 55 but they kept sweetening the pot, they were about to do it again but I left anyway. I always had it in my head that I would retire at 55 . It was a mistake for me and probablly most people to go that early.

I now have a serious health problem that I know would have been caught or not happened if I kept working. I'm going on 7 years of retirement.

My advise to anyone who is considering retiring real early is to, if at all possible, "take a leave of absence" its got to be a long leave to see how you like it. Also during this time (6-8 months sounds about right) live off the amount of money you will be receiving during your retirement and no more.

prospector
07-25-2008, 11:18 PM
ditto the judge
at 42 years of age i sold my business and retired...
i must have taken 10 different part-time jobs over the years as well as starting small businesses to keep my sanity..
it sounds great, but most of us have too damn much energy..

i wish i could have found my current hobby (gold prospecting) early in my retirement..but its kept me busy for the last 15 years..

stay if you can handle it...if you don't like your job..get out or change jobs, lifes too short

Tom
07-26-2008, 09:40 AM
I checked my finances last night, and I can retire comfortably when I hit 143.
Assuming no unforseen expenses.

robert99
07-26-2008, 07:32 PM
I checked my finances last night, and I can retire comfortably when I hit 143.
Assuming no unforseen expenses.

Tom if only you were Muslim, you could go early to the Sepilok Sanctuary.
Two square meals a day and intelligent company.

“Monkey Business”
Sepilok Nature Resort / Orang Utan Sanctuary

Visiting Sepilok Orang Utan Sanctuary was one of the best highlights of my gap year around the world. The centre does an excellent job of rehabilitating orphaned Orang Utan's and returning them to the wild. Without places like Sepilok these amazing animals would be lost from our planet forever.

A wooden walkway takes you through some of Sabah's most beautiful rainforests to the feeding station in the heart of the sanctuary. We were advised not to expect to see many, if not any, Orang Utans coming back to feed. Twice a day food is put out for the Orang Utans to supplement their wild diets.

We were thrilled when the trees started to rustle and three fully grown females swung in. They were closely followed by five more, including some smaller, 'teenage' Orang Utangs.

One particular male stopped to give us a cheeky show of tricks before heading for the platform to feed. They are fascinating creatures to observe. We were so lucky to see ten in total that afternoon.

The guides from Borneo Adventures were excellent and gave us a full history of the centre and it's special guests.

Any trip to Sabah would not be complete without a visit here. Highly recommended.