PDA

View Full Version : Just Messed Up

OTM Al
07-24-2008, 11:00 PM
This is just messed up. If you have TVG, I think they have been running the spot for this crap. Might be my first complaint about TVG. I know sponsor money isn't plentiful, but still....Anyway, look at this

http://www.911twenty.com/

Who buys this stuff?????? And why????

I can't figure out if I should be mad or what. Maybe its because I actually saw this happen that I feel this way so maybe I'm totally over reacting, but this is just nuts. I don't know. Just had to vent.

slewis
07-24-2008, 11:10 PM
This is just messed up. If you have TVG, I think they have been running the spot for this crap. Might be my first complaint about TVG. I know sponsor money isn't plentiful, but still....Anyway, look at this

http://www.911twenty.com/

Who buys this stuff?????? And why????

I can't figure out if I should be mad or what. Maybe its because I actually saw this happen that I feel this way so maybe I'm totally over reacting, but this is just nuts. I don't know. Just had to vent.

Hi Al,

I'm curious what offends you so much about this? People will always try and make money in stupid ways.

pktruckdriver
07-24-2008, 11:12 PM
Yeah where's the money going to?? Really going.

I think it is Capitalism at it's finest.

njcurveball
07-24-2008, 11:27 PM
Trying to profit from a tragedy leaves a sour taste in my mouth as well.

Another A$$inine thing is that try to talk fast enough to make you think you could actually spend this and get $20 for it.

It is worthless and good luck to all the suckers that buy it.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_the_911_Twenty_Dollar_Silver_Certificate_from_N ational_Collectors_Mint_Really_worth_anything

This is the not the first time this company has tried to profit off the 9/11 tragedy. They were shut down by Eliot Spitzer the first time, and I understand there is an investigation underway over this latest effort. They claim they are selling it for "face value," but there is no "face value." It is not legal tender, and it is very likely a scam.

JustRalph
07-25-2008, 12:32 AM
Did you notice it is "Liberian legal tender"

This thing runs constantly on TVG. Between that and that dude going up the steps on his crutches............ :lol:

At least they got rid of the Himalayan society

OTM Al
07-25-2008, 09:01 AM
Hi Al,

I'm curious what offends you so much about this? People will always try and make money in stupid ways.

Well, maybe the part about profiteering off the deaths of a couple thousand people (so far...if you you believe that the toxins are still killing people, then many more to come). I well know there are tee-shirt stands around NY that profit as well. Tourists just come to gawk like its some Disney World exhibit. I don't mind people visiting the site, but for many its a check list item you do before your ride on the SI ferry. Just plain tasteless, and like I said, who the hell buys this stuff?

slewis
07-25-2008, 09:25 AM
Well, maybe the part about profiteering off the deaths of a couple thousand people (so far...if you you believe that the toxins are still killing people, then many more to come). I well know there are tee-shirt stands around NY that profit as well. Tourists just come to gawk like its some Disney World exhibit. I don't mind people visiting the site, but for many its a check list item you do before your ride on the SI ferry. Just plain tasteless, and like I said, who the hell buys this stuff?

I was just curious. I guess it's the price we pay for living in a free society.
It's the same as if everyone really knew of how much money many charities raise and how much of that actually makes it to do good vs "administrative costs" (a fancy way of people making big salaries) they'd be incensed too.
Thanks.

JustRalph
07-25-2008, 10:51 AM
Just plain tasteless, and like I said, who the hell buys this stuff?

I always wonder too......... who the hell would buy a T-shirt with the Twin towers on it, etc?

Reminds me of this cartoon character
http://images.tvrage.net/shows/3/2292.jpg

OTM Al
07-25-2008, 12:57 PM
I was just curious. I guess it's the price we pay for living in a free society.
It's the same as if everyone really knew of how much money many charities raise and how much of that actually makes it to do good vs "administrative costs" (a fancy way of people making big salaries) they'd be incensed too.
Thanks.

That depends on the charity. The really big ones like the Red Cross are going to have to have overhead and they are going to need qualified professionals to run them, and those don't come cheap. The idea though is that the professionals should be able to bring in even more than it costs to have them there, which I am sure many do. ESPN's Jim Valvano charity gives all the money to the charity, but they can because ESPN pays for the staffing themselves. Otherwise no way it could be done. Then you have stuff like Don Imus' Vacation home, er Imus Ranch, that in looks and setup is using kids with cancer so that Don can have a nice place to live (he has illegally used it for his own purposes, but likely will never be charged despite multiple investigations). It just goes to show that just like anything we spend money on, we should know what we are buying. The Red Cross is just as legit as the Valvano charity even if not all the money goes for aid. The Imus charity on the other hand isn't.

Tom
07-25-2008, 05:14 PM
TVG is a class act.
Tell me how they are any better than whores?

toetoe
07-26-2008, 07:03 PM
Al,

I've seen a worse one. Have you seen this ?

The obligatory spiel on how valuable it will be, limited edition, blah, blah ..., then the topper --- a hinged replica of the buildings swings up to perpendicular (while the music swells, of course) !!!! :faint: :bang:

Valuist
07-26-2008, 07:43 PM
Did you notice it is "Liberian legal tender"

This thing runs constantly on TVG. Between that and that dude going up the steps on his crutches............ :lol:

At least they got rid of the Himalayan society

No they haven't . Unless I'm mixing the ads up w/HRTV, they still run the Himalayan society ads.

Try to listen to the end of the commercial with the guy on the crutches. I can't make out one word the announcer says in the final 10 seconds of that ad.

OTM Al
07-26-2008, 08:12 PM
I don't know if I've seen either of those. Possibly regional? I watch TVG a lot but have never turned it on early if you are talking about during infomercial time.

Let's face it, the commercials are no worse than what you get on the upper end of the cable box on those less watched channels. Can't blame them for running it I guess as they need ad revenue and at least they don't shill for their ads. I'm just stupified with who comes up with this stuff and who buys it. .9999 silver foil. If there was a Nestle's crunch bar inside it might almost be worth it.....