PDA

View Full Version : Why have the election? It's over.......

JustRalph
07-24-2008, 08:50 PM
http://marcambinder.theatlantic.com/archives/2008/07/obama_team_begins_work_on_pres.php

Obama Team Begins Work On Presidential Transition

With less than six months to go before he would be sworn in as the nation’s 44th president, Sen. Barack Obama has directed his aides to begin planning for the transition.

"Barack is well aware of the complexity and the organizational challenge involved in the transition process and he has tasked s small group to begin thinking through the process,” a senior campaign adviser said. “Barack has made his expectations clear about what he wants from such a process, how he wants it to move forward, and the establishment and execution of his timeline is proceeding apace.”

Last month, the Post’s Shalaigh Murray reported that campaign advisers were sounding out John Podesta, a former White House chief of staff to President Bill Clinton and currently the president of the Center for American Progress, for his advice.

An aide confirms that Podesta will probably be asked to head the transition team, which would take over from the campaign if Obama wins in November, and would be tasked with ensuring a smooth handover of power.

Podesta’s Center for American Progress is working with the Third Way think tank on a Homeland Security Presidential Transition Initiative; its director is Michael Signer, a former senior policy aide to Ex-Sen. John Edwards.

Cassandra Butts, a longtime Obama friend who is a CAP executive vice president, is working closely with Podesta.

Butts, via e-mail, would not confirm her participation in the project.

Podesta remains a close friend of both Clintons and his participation will help assuage the concerns of Clinton-era Democratic policy and political appointees who might have felt abandoned in an Obama administration.

~more at the link~

JustRalph
07-24-2008, 09:55 PM
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=132x6537156

From the Thread Above:

"Watching him speak in Berlin, and given the enormous problems we face, Barack Obama could very well become one of the greatest Presidents our country has ever seen.

I'm stunned by the possibilities for our future that are now apparent. If this man who has come to us can find the determination within himself to do it, he will change the way we and the rest of the world live forever."

I think I am going to Puke!!!!

wonatthewire1
07-24-2008, 10:06 PM
Puke?

Wow

I guess we'll learn what it feels like to be Zilly or Hcap for the last 8 years once Barry gets into office

Interesting times, but I guess humans will always go from one extreme to the other...

46zilzal
07-25-2008, 01:12 AM
This is a common practice for all presidential candidates as one of many optional plans most RATIONAL people prepare ahead of time.

highnote
07-25-2008, 06:25 AM
I was listening to a conservative talk radio show today. The host made a good point, but I'm not sure it's valid. We'll find out.

He said, whenever someone (like Obama) skyrockets to the top of the pack, the usually fall just as rapidly. He did qualify it by saying Obama's fall could happen after he gets elected (if he gets elected).

I agree with his reasoning, but I don't know if it will apply to Obama. Obama has been in politics a long time and on the national stage for about 4 years -- ever since he gave his speech at the convention. He also managed to beat the Clinton machine. Although, Hillary is no Bill.

So it will be interesting to see if he can keep his momentum through the election. And if he does, it will be interesting to see how well he is liked once he is in office. I've read his book and I don't think he is as liberal as many of his supporters.

McCain is seen as the safe choice and may not be as controversial as Obama to a wider array of people. However, Obama is seen as the more interesting and exciting choice to a lot of people.

McCain is probably not disliked as much by people on the left as Obama is disliked by people on the right. But to counter that, Obama is probably loved by more people on the left than McCain is by people on the right.

So maybe it's going to be the people in the middle and the independents that decide this election?

Right now the bookies give Obama a 79% chance of winning and McCain a 22% chance. It's early, though. Anything can happen.

Obama's speech in Germany didn't do anything to enamore the right, but it did leave the left gushing all over him.

My favorite quote from H.G. Wells, "Righteous indignation can be traced to envy" seems to apply to McCain's people given their response to Obama's Germany speech.

McCain isn't energizing his base the way Obama is or the way Dubya did with the religious right. I'm not even sure what is McCain's base. The conservative radio host I listened to feels that McCain is too liberal and is not a true republican. He said, "McCain is my grandfather's democrat."

Given McCain's age, maybe he is out of step with the times?

A lot of older conservatives are upset with youth for backing Obama. But even Plato said something to the effect, "The problem with the world is today's youth." This sentiment is nothing new and doesn't really offer any solution to the problem conservatives have in this election.

Again, "righteous indignation can be traced to envy" seems to apply.

It's understandable. Obama is on top of the world. His supporters love him. What candidate wouldn't be envious of that kind of support. I'm sure Carter, Dukakis, Kerry and Gore supporters know the feeling of envy.

hcap
07-25-2008, 06:33 AM
Puke?

Wow

I guess we'll learn what it feels like to be Zilly or Hcap for the last 8 years once Barry gets into office

Interesting times, but I guess humans will always go from one extreme to the other...It's not just us.

70% of America, and over 70% of the rest of the world feels the same way we do.The slim remaining minority of loyalists only post here. It looks like you gentlemen are going to have a field day with an Obama presidency. Paranoia has already set in

lsbets
07-25-2008, 06:40 AM
Look out won - Hcap is defending his messiah, Lord Obama. Any criticism is paranoia, and probably race based at that. Bad words about the messiah will not be tolerated. Just smile and accept the messiah, you'll be happier.

hcap
07-25-2008, 07:00 AM
No Messiah. Just a breath of fresh air. Particularly after the idiocy of the last 8 years. Don't worry LS, you will have ample time to snipe and whine during an Obama administration. Maybe you can post some cartoons? Do some more Ad Hitleritums. Re invigorate "old europe" and myth-make your savior bush into the new Ronnie Raygun.

Or hey what about finding some BJs to investigate
Work with skate. That's his specialty.

highnote
07-25-2008, 07:05 AM
Originally Posted by lsbets
Look out won - Hcap is defending his messiah, Lord Obama. Any criticism is paranoia, and probably race based at that. Bad words about the messiah will not be tolerated. Just smile and accept the messiah, you'll be happier.

It's interesting. I was listening to conservative radio today and it was the first time I heard Obama referred to as a messiah.

Liberals liked to call Dubya a king.

What will the next president be called -- God?

What name will be found for the president after that?

Maybe that's when we have a revolution and start all over again from scratch as Thomas Jefferson suggested.

lsbets
07-25-2008, 07:13 AM
Well you certainly spit out a mouthful there Hcap, but as usual from you nothing of substance, kind of like yuor messiah, Lord Obama.

Obama won't win. Its pretty simple. If he is in a statistical tie, or a slight lead with McCain now, after the fawning over his nomination and his European coronation, its over for him. The way people respond to polls tends to favor democrats, and that is not including the Bradley factor. McCain might even get 300 electoral votes, which should never happen because there is zero enthusiasm behind him, but middle of the road voters don't trust Obama. He has no record of accomplishing anything of substance and spouts empty rhetoric.

So, I'm not concerned at all about Obama winning unless something shocking happens like McCain going to the bathroom with Larry Craig. Beyond that, the election is over. Obama should have a double digit lead right now, but he doesn't. Prepare yourself for major disappointment Hcap. Obama loses, and might lose big.

rastajenk
07-25-2008, 07:46 AM
Few things are more dangerous to a democracy than the cult of personality.

Greyfox
07-25-2008, 10:44 AM
Obama won't win. Its pretty simple.
So, I'm not concerned at all about Obama winning ....

Isbets, I am definitely not an Obama fan. The man is an elocutionionist who weaves words like silk worms weave silk. Compared to him John McCain sounds like a cluck.
Personally, I see Obama as using stage hypnotic techniques to mesmerize large audiences. He uses deep monotone voice + mantras + authoritative appearance. These are repeated over and over again. Women faint, teenagers idolize him. Their powers of critical thinking are put aside and they are in awe of him. Several evangelists have used these techniques as well.
Having said that, I recognize the reality of what is happening.
Obama is going to win. To say that you are not concerned with him winning, is simply being in a state of denial. The faster that you get over that the easier it will be for you to adjust come November. You're not alone.
Many are in a state of denial as to what impact he's having. Wakey, Wakey America.

JustRalph
07-25-2008, 10:45 AM
No Messiah. Just a breath of fresh air. Particularly after the idiocy of the last 8 years. Don't worry LS, you will have ample time to snipe and whine during an Obama administration. Maybe you can post some cartoons? Do some more Ad Hitleritums. Re invigorate "old europe" and myth-make your savior bush into the new Ronnie Raygun.

Or hey what about finding some BJs to investigate
Work with skate. That's his specialty.

I suggest you go read this article: The Times............ are on to the bullshit too

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49084

RichieP
07-25-2008, 11:02 AM
Few things are more dangerous to a democracy than the cult of personality.

Sharp post Rasta :ThmbUp:

Greyfox
07-25-2008, 11:03 AM
Given McCain's age, maybe he is out of step with the times?

McCain, out of step with the times? :lol:
Last month he said that he's expecting to learn how to get on to the internet by himself pretty soon. :lol:
I don't like Obama, and the other major choice is just learning to get on the net. What a gruesome pair to choose from. :ThmbDown:

lsbets
07-25-2008, 11:08 AM
Greyfox - nothing that I said reflects a state of denial, it reflects the realities of politics. Obama has not put himself in a position to win. The man is tied on his honeymoon, the normal 5 point dem to rep election day swing will be amplified by the Bradley effect - white voters who say they will vote for the black guy in polls and then vote for the white guy on election day. Its reality. Without a double digit lead right now, Obama has no chance.

Greyfox
07-25-2008, 11:21 AM
Greyfox - nothing that I said reflects a state of denial, it reflects the realities of politics. Obama has not put himself in a position to win. The man is tied on his honeymoon, the normal 5 point dem to rep election day swing will be amplified by the Bradley effect - white voters who say they will vote for the black guy in polls and then vote for the white guy on election day. Its reality. Without a double digit lead right now, Obama has no chance.

Good post. Hope you're right. :ThmbUp: Time will tell. (No. That's not time William Tell.)

boxcar
07-25-2008, 11:26 AM
No Messiah. Just a breath of fresh air.

:lol: :lol: Truly you've had your head buried in the sand all these weeks. A "breath of fresh air" from an Affirmative Action Product Extraordinaire!? It would take at least 3 septic tank trucks to flush out all the crap that passes for his mind. You think Bush is bad? Wait until Dumbo gets into the WH!

Boxcar

boxcar
07-25-2008, 11:30 AM
It's interesting. I was listening to conservative radio today and it was the first time I heard Obama referred to as a messiah.

Liberals liked to call Dubya a king.

What will the next president be called -- God?

Don't know how to break this to you but...in the bible the Messiah is God.

Boxcar

delayjf
07-25-2008, 12:15 PM
over 70% of the rest of the world feels the same way we doI could care less about what the rest of the world thinks.

highnote
07-25-2008, 12:54 PM
Don't know how to break this to you but...in the bible the Messiah is God.

Boxcar

I was thinking of Jesus as the messiah, but didn't make that clear enough.

Most Christians believe Jesus is the son of God and God in the form of a human. Or something like that.

I doubt most non-Christians think Jesus is God. That is why there was sort of a rank order to my post. To most Christians Jesus and God are one in the same.

But the whole Father, Son, Holy Spirit thing gets complicated.

Plus, this post is about Obama. Sorry to go off topic.

boxcar
07-25-2008, 01:06 PM
I doubt most non-Christians think Jesus is God.

I'll go a step further: Many professing Christians don't either.

Boxcar

Greyfox
07-25-2008, 01:10 PM
Let me raise the concept of Survivor Guilt.

Survivor guilt is a mental condition that some individuals develop after they survive and someone else doesn't. The person feels irrationally that they have done wrong and the person who died didn't.

I find it interesting to note that Saddam Hussein was executed.

Is it a coincidence that a large number of American people are poised to vote for a man who arguably could be called President Barack Hussein Obama?
How likely was this coincidence at this time?
Surely that's just a coincidence of time, public perception changes, and so on.
Or is it a facet of survivor guilt?
Just a lateral thinking possibility that I'm posing.

hcap
07-25-2008, 05:38 PM
Maybe, maybe not.......
"Rasmussen says Obama got a bounce from the overseas trip, and the speech was well received by voters. Gallup today has Obama up by 6"

Electoral votes look like this at this point.......

http://images.dailykos.com/images/user/426/pollster.jpg

Meanwhile, McCain better get in gear. German restaurants, the produce and the cheese aisle?

http://www.needlenose.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/mccaingroceries.jpg

"Renee Gould, the young mother McCain had an extended chat with about the high price of tomatoes and milk, was not a random shopper, but an area resident funneled to the campaign by the local Republican Party.”

Marshall Bennett
07-25-2008, 05:52 PM
Michigan is close . As well as Iowa and Wisconsin . Take your liberal based poll and shove it , its complete bullshit !!!!!!!!!!!!!

hcap
07-25-2008, 06:27 PM
Not all are liberal. This is the way it stands in july 08. Early? yes, but the rest of the country doesn't necessarily march in lookstep to youse neocon remnants of the last 8 years that have gathered in one group high 5 here on off topic. Saluting each other and praising the 1920s', George W Churchill and indiscriminate killing of women and children thru' ceremonial events on the PA off topic forum.

So from my "liberal ass" to your bush puckering lips......
A varied rundown..........

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/maps/obama_vs_mccain/

Barack Obama 238
153 Solid 85 Leaning

John McCain 163
99 Solid 64 Leaning

Toss Up 137
137 Toss Up

http://www.electoral-vote.com/

Jul. 25
Obama 292 McCain 195 Ties 51

http://www.usaelectionpolls.com/2008/general-election/electoral-college-results.html

Obama 332 vs. McCain 183
Electoral College Map with Numbers (Barack Obama vs. John McCain)

Last Updated: 7/25/08
Method Obama McCain
Latest Poll Per State 332 183
Survey USA 129 197
Rasmussen Reports 285 189 <<<<<<<NOT LIBERAL
Quinnipiac 158 24

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/election2008/electoral-vote-tracker.htm

So far Dem 258 Rep 135

http://www.zogby.com/News/ReadNews.dbm?ID=1523
Zogby’s Electoral College Count

7-7-2008
Obama

McCain

Undecided

hcap
07-25-2008, 06:39 PM
I could care less about what the rest of the world thinks.
Sure, old europe, freedom fries, coalition of the willing, the idiotic bush doctrine. Let's relive those days of yesteryear.

http://picayune.uclick.com/comics/tt/2008/tt080725.gif

PaceAdvantage
07-26-2008, 04:09 AM
Sure, old europe, freedom fries, coalition of the willing, the idiotic bush doctrine. Let's relive those days of yesteryear.

http://picayune.uclick.com/comics/tt/2008/tt080725.gifThe danger of believing any part of this little cartoon highlights exactly why Obama needs to lose.

hcap
07-26-2008, 06:28 AM
McCain is out of touch. As mentioned the younger vote is important.
Even among young repugs, Grandpa is wanting.

.................................................. ..
(CNN) -- From cyberspace to college campuses, many young conservatives are worried that Sen. John McCain is not appealing to their generation.

Eric Perlmutter, a Republican and student at the at the University of Southern California, said the roaring enthusiasm that follows Obama is missing among conservatives his age. "We try to get people out to our college Republican meetings, but ... we can't seem to draw the same kind of vocal support," he said.

On MySpace, Obama has more than 427,000 friends, compared with fewer than 60,000 for McCain.

hcap
07-26-2008, 06:35 AM

“But watching Senator Obama address a crowd of 200,000 in Germany while Senator McCain addresses a crowd of two in the frozen food section…”

..Jon Stewart juxtaposes how the two candidates spent their Thursdays.

hcap
07-26-2008, 06:49 AM
BTW

Denver...

Mc Same

"It must irk him that Obama drew more than 200K yesterday and according to the press, only 500 showed up to see him in Denver–the smattering of applause sounds more like 50–and even with those diehards, there was dead silence during much of his attacks on Obama."

Maybe the Electoral polls I posted are dead on.

hcap
07-26-2008, 07:12 AM
Just found the most recent photo taken during the heavily attended PA off topic chapter of "Vote McCain".
High 5's all around guys.

http://i29.tinypic.com/34djw44.jpg :rolleyes:

"We don't need no stinkin' German restaurants"

lsbets
07-26-2008, 07:53 AM
The danger of believing any part of this little cartoon highlights exactly why Obama needs to lose.

And that cartoon perfectly illustrates the cult of the messiah, Lord Obama and the way they think.

An objective look at polling and presidential elections says Obama is in a very bad position compared to where he should be. Is he slightly ahead right now? Yes, and he should be way ahead. He's not and that is a major problem for him. McCain will win this election by default, because the dems put up the weakest candidate they could find. Once again, Hcap, if you were able to step outside the church of the messiah, Lord Obama, and look at things without projecting your fantasies on them, Obama is not in a good position at all.

hcap
07-26-2008, 08:20 AM
It will be close. The country remains strongly divided. Difference this time is bush fatigue. The repug brand is in the dumps. If McCain can separate himself somehow from the last 8 years. he may stand a chance. Assuming he can energize his floundering campaign

Not everyone who supports Obama is a cultist. I would argue the "cult of bush" is a more tangible derangement. And the last 8 years has left an extremely sour taste of that cult nationwide. Not just among us dem\commie\pinko\socialists.

Your generalities are just that generalities. Should he be way ahead? Why? The conventions, the VP picks and the debates are still ahead of us. And at the moment the electoral projections show a much larger divide than 5-6% split of the popular. You must take that into account in your blanket statement that the Obama should be further ahead in the popular. Factoring in that somewhat deflates your assumption.

The cartoon is right on. Unlike the majority here, the nation would like a return to diplomacy first, war second.

WinterTriangle
07-26-2008, 08:26 AM
I could care less about what the rest of the world thinks.

The rest of the world is necessary to our survival (trade, economy, banking, etc.), as we are to them.

I'm curious as to what you mean when you say this.

Tom
07-26-2008, 09:54 AM
This is a common practice for all presidential candidates as one of many optional plans most RATIONAL people prepare ahead of time.

Oh, then you have seen his exit strategy for Afghanisan? He wants to send troops he MUST have an ES, correct?

And his timeline for pulling out the troops? And his invasion of Pakistan, has he obtained a "world approval" for this? And his ES for this action? And timeline?

Tom
07-26-2008, 10:11 AM

The Carter years.

The misery index.
Collapsing economy.
Held hostage by Iran

Reagan years.

The immediate release of the Iran Hostages
The fall of the Iron Curtain.
Assitesd - instrumental - in the Soviet loss and retreat from Afghanistan
The fall of the Soviet Union.

The Bush Years I

World wide coalition libetates Kuwait in record time

The Clinton years

Repeated attacks on US from teroists.
The growth and matuirity of Al Qeda
Failure to capture Bin Laden or kill him despite opportunity
Gutted the military and devastated the intelligence community
Left office with a real recession, not an internet-defined one.
Pure filth from a president - getting hummers in the Oval Office,
cheating on his wife and child, betratying a trust wiht intern, and gernerally behaving like a sex-crazed preditor.

The Bush Years II

Tax breaks for all
Turned around the Clinton recession
Suffered the 9-11 attacks enabled by the Clinton administration
Reacted swiftly and retaliated against Afghanisatan. Helped them establish a legitimate, elected governement that is still there today.
Removed a sadistic dictator who used WMD agains this own people, and also helped them elect a legitimate government.
Removed nukes from Lybia.
Rebuilt the army and intellignence communites and have prevented any terror attacks on our soil or non-combat zone installations world-wide

Marshall Bennett
07-26-2008, 10:42 AM
The Carter years.

The misery index.
Collapsing economy.
Held hostage by Iran

Reagan years.

The immediate release of the Iran Hostages
The fall of the Iron Curtain.
Assitesd - instrumental - in the Soviet loss and retreat from Afghanistan
The fall of the Soviet Union.

The Bush Years I

World wide coalition libetates Kuwait in record time

The Clinton years

Repeated attacks on US from teroists.
The growth and matuirity of Al Qeda
Failure to capture Bin Laden or kill him despite opportunity
Gutted the military and devastated the intelligence community
Left office with a real recession, not an internet-defined one.
Pure filth from a president - getting hummers in the Oval Office,
cheating on his wife and child, betratying a trust wiht intern, and gernerally behaving like a sex-crazed preditor.

The Bush Years II

Tax breaks for all
Turned around the Clinton recession
Suffered the 9-11 attacks enabled by the Clinton administration
Reacted swiftly and retaliated against Afghanisatan. Helped them establish a legitimate, elected governement that is still there today.
Removed a sadistic dictator who used WMD agains this own people, and also helped them elect a legitimate government.
Removed nukes from Lybia.
Rebuilt the army and intellignence communites and have prevented any terror attacks on our soil or non-combat zone installations world-wide
Well done !! :ThmbUp:

JustRalph
07-30-2008, 11:49 PM
I ask again.........why have the election?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/29/AR2008072902068_pf.html

President Obama Continues Hectic Victory Tour

By Dana Milbank
Wednesday, July 30, 2008; A03

Barack Obama has long been his party's presumptive nominee. Now he's becoming its presumptuous nominee.

Fresh from his presidential-style world tour, during which foreign leaders and American generals lined up to show him affection, Obama settled down to some presidential-style business in Washington yesterday. He ordered up a teleconference with the (current president's) Treasury secretary, granted an audience to the Pakistani prime minister and had his staff arrange for the chairman of the Federal Reserve to give him a briefing. Then, he went up to Capitol Hill to be adored by House Democrats in a presidential-style pep rally.

highnote
07-30-2008, 11:53 PM
I ask again.........why have the election?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/29/AR2008072902068_pf.html

President Obama Continues Hectic Victory Tour

By Dana Milbank
Wednesday, July 30, 2008; A03

Barack Obama has long been his party's presumptive nominee. Now he's becoming its presumptuous nominee.

Fresh from his presidential-style world tour, during which foreign leaders and American generals lined up to show him affection, Obama settled down to some presidential-style business in Washington yesterday. He ordered up a teleconference with the (current president's) Treasury secretary, granted an audience to the Pakistani prime minister and had his staff arrange for the chairman of the Federal Reserve to give him a briefing. Then, he went up to Capitol Hill to be adored by House Democrats in a presidential-style pep rally.

Sounds like politics as usual. When you're a gambler and on a winning streak you don't walk away from the table. It's like betting sports -- the team with momentum has an advantage. You gotta ride the wave. Eventually, it will crash.

The question is, will it crash before or after the election?

Lefty
07-31-2008, 11:53 AM
greyfox, Barack an elecutionist? Yes, when he's got a written speech. But when he "freewheels' it, he stammers and stumbles all over the place. In the debates, Obama will be shown up for the lightweight he is.

aLSO, i THINK THIS ELECTION WILL TURN ON ENERGY. Obams likes to say "yes we can." but when it comes to energy exploration is "no we won't."
His solution to everything, just like past dims, is to raise taxes.

Tom
07-31-2008, 12:49 PM
66% of Americans favor off shore drilling.
That will hurt Barry HUSSEIN unless he flip flops again.
McCain was smart ( first time?) to grasp that and run with it.
Not that I believe he will actually do it, just smart to say he will.

2 out of 3 want it and Nancy Bin Losi refuses to listen. Her personal preferences trump the will of the people she lied about representing. Sad that she is so out of touch and such a liar. Your dem team at work. Forwarding thier own agendas, not yours. :kiss:

highnote
07-31-2008, 01:07 PM
66% of Americans favor off shore drilling.
That will hurt Barry HUSSEIN unless he flip flops again.
McCain was smart ( first time?) to grasp that and run with it.
Not that I believe he will actually do it, just smart to say he will.

2 out of 3 want it and Nancy Bin Losi refuses to listen. Her personal preferences trump the will of the people she lied about representing. Sad that she is so out of touch and such a liar. Your dem team at work. Forwarding thier own agendas, not yours. :kiss:

I just read where something like 4 billion barrels of oil have been discovered in N. Dakota. The article said that is 4 times as much as is in Texas. Wonder how long it will be before that comes on line and will there be any environmental debate since it's onshore?

Greyfox
07-31-2008, 01:36 PM
In the debates, Obama will be shown up for the lightweight he is.

I'm not an Obama fan and I hope that you are right.
I suspect that the visual component of the debates will outweigh any oral component.
That being the case, McCain is going to be perceived as a floundering old cluck.

delayjf
07-31-2008, 01:50 PM
I'm curious as to what you mean when you say this.

Indeed you are correct when you say we need each other to survive, but that doesn't mean we have to like each other. I don't think it's any secret that a lot of European countrys dislike the United States for what ever reason.

My support for a Presidential candidate will depend on who I think will act in the best interest of the United States regardless of what Europe or anyone else thinks.

bigmack
07-31-2008, 01:53 PM
So we can get a "clear" picture of things perhaps Hcap can post what the polls said 3-4 months before the elections sent Dukakis, Gore & Kerry back to wherever it is they are now. :ThmbUp:

Tom
07-31-2008, 02:00 PM
Indeed you are correct when you say we need each other to survive, but that doesn't mean we have to like each other. I don't think it's any secret that a lot of European countrys dislike the United States for what ever reason.

Funny how those one the left side of the world are so concerned about the perception the world has of us, but could care less about our own perceptions of the economy. That Indy bank that failed was direct result of UpChuck Schummer smearing the bank and telling people it was not sound. I submit it never would have failed had Chucky kept his lib mouth shut.

The economy is a lot like sausage.....you gotta have faith.

Tom
07-31-2008, 02:04 PM
So we can get a "clear" picture of things perhaps Hcap can post what the polls said 3-4 months before the elections sent Dukakis, Gore & Kerry back to wherever it is they are now. :ThmbUp:

Here's one.....

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=940DEFD7113EF935A15754C0A96E9482 60

highnote
07-31-2008, 02:04 PM
I'm not an Obama fan and I hope that you are right.
I suspect that the visual component of the debates will outweigh any oral component.
That being the case, McCain is going to be perceived as a floundering old cluck.

I'm looking forward to the debates. I will be interesting to see how much of the speculation about each candidate's debating ability proves correct.

I hear a lot about Obama being a great teleprompter reader. So was Regan.

I work with a lot of people who use teleprompter. My experience is that people with higher IQs do the best job reading prompter. It also helps if they rehearse a lot.

Dubya does a very good job reading prompter. I suspect he is smarter than people give him credit for. I also suspect he rehearses his speeches a lot -- especially the big ones. He's not in the same league with Regan, but he's good.

The best person I ever worked with was Walter Cronkite. He took one of the crappiest 30 second public service announcements I've ever read and made it sound beautiful just by the inflection of his voice. When I heard him I then realized how much acting went into being a good public speaker. I also realized that who in the world has ever read more lines of teleprompter than Walter Cronkite. LOL

The best speakers I've ever heard know their subject inside and out. I've been lucky enough to hear 3 geniuses speak and deliver their speech to a camera in a very intimate setting.

The first time was the CEO of IBM, Lou Gerstner. He read the prompter into the camera. It was about a 20 minute speech. He said he wasn't happy with it and told us to turn off the prompter. He then delivered the speech again off the top of his head. He spoke for over twenty minutes and never stumbled or stammered once. It was really impressive.

The second time was a very strange author from England. He was some kind of self-help guru. He spoke for about an hour straight to camera without a prompter and only stumbled once near the very end of his speech. He must have given the speech hundreds of times. He knew it inside and out. Kind of like a stage actor who memorizes his lines. So maybe he wasn't a genius -- he just memorized his lines.

The third person was one of our horse racing friends - Dr. Z (William Ziemba, Ph.D.). We were at a conference and I suggested he make a promotional video about his hedge fund. I set up a simple shot in a hotel room. He started talking without a prompter and about 5 minutes into the speech he stopped and said he wanted to start over because he didn't like the direction he was going.

He started over and spoke for about 45 minutes -- again without a prompter and totally ad libbing -- and never stumbled or stammered once. That's how well he knew his subject.

So when you hear the candidates speak, you will be able to tell when they know the subject well and when they don't.

If you want to find out how difficult it is, turn on your video camera and talk directly to the camera on a subject and never stumble, stammer or search for the right word. It's incredibly difficult.

I can't really fault a candidate for stumbling and searching for an answer on some issues. No one can know everything. But on the big issues -- like the war or health care or some economic issues -- they should have some pretty good answers.

Tom
07-31-2008, 02:48 PM
When the attacks begin, when the market collapses, when disastors strike, there is no time for teleprompters, only action.

Obama talks a good game....talk is cheap.

riskman
07-31-2008, 04:31 PM
Maybe that's when we have a revolution and start all over again from scratch as Thomas Jefferson suggested.

I am with Jefferson. The New Deal entered the old form of government and devoured its meaning from within. The revolutionaries were inside; the defenders were outside. A government that had been supported by the people and so controlled by the people became one that supported the people and so controlled them. Much of it is irreversible. That is true because habits of dependence are much easier to form than to break. Once the government, on ground of public policy, has assumed the responsibility to provide people with buying power when they are in want of it, or when they are unable to provide themselves with enough of it, according to a minimum proclaimed by government, it will never be the same again.
It will only be changed by a major disruption and, more probably, by a series of disruptions: financial weakening and possibly collapse, and/or a major war or series of wars, and/or natural catastrophe, and/or...use your imagination to fill in other possible factors. But, like children who still believe in Santa Claus, and like those who desperately hope for salvation in foreign affairs, many liberals and progressives now look for a miracle to save them on the domestic front. Call the miracle Obama if you wish; the name you give it doesn't matter a damn.Miracles do not happen. It was not a miracle that brought us here. History, it must be noted, is not encouraging on this point.

ddog
07-31-2008, 05:01 PM
Funny how those one the left side of the world are so concerned about the perception the world has of us, but could care less about our own perceptions of the economy. That Indy bank that failed was direct result of UpChuck Schummer smearing the bank and telling people it was not sound. I submit it never would have failed had Chucky kept his lib mouth shut.

The economy is a lot like sausage.....you gotta have faith.

You keep the "faith" , I'll keep the money.

Try eating that "faith" with your eggs Friday morn.
Maybe a little A1 would go well with it.

You can have all the faith you want, there are realities and those rule.

Chuckie , again , had nothing to do with Indy, it was insolvent for a year , dead bank walking.
If he sped its demise, then that was a good thing.
Thin the herd and all that.
If sound, it would be around.

You must be one of the "no short selling" guys as well.
Just another "nanny stater" in con disguise.

highnote
07-31-2008, 05:04 PM
When the attacks begin, when the market collapses, when disastors strike, there is no time for teleprompters, only action.

Totally agree. That is why the debates are going to be important.

highnote
07-31-2008, 05:06 PM
Call the miracle Obama if you wish

How about this for a campaign slogan ... "Obama for Messiah" :D

ddog
07-31-2008, 05:07 PM
I'm looking forward to the debates. I will be interesting to see how much of the speculation about each candidate's debating ability proves correct.

I hear a lot about Obama being a great teleprompter reader. So was Regan.

I work with a lot of people who use teleprompter. My experience is that people with higher IQs do the best job reading prompter. It also helps if they rehearse a lot.

Dubya does a very good job reading prompter. I suspect he is smarter than people give him credit for. I also suspect he rehearses his speeches a lot -- especially the big ones. He's not in the same league with Regan, but he's good.

The best person I ever worked with was Walter Cronkite. He took one of the crappiest 30 second public service announcements I've ever read and made it sound beautiful just by the inflection of his voice. When I heard him I then realized how much acting went into being a good public speaker. I also realized that who in the world has ever read more lines of teleprompter than Walter Cronkite. LOL

The best speakers I've ever heard know their subject inside and out. I've been lucky enough to hear 3 geniuses speak and deliver their speech to a camera in a very intimate setting.

The first time was the CEO of IBM, Lou Gerstner. He read the prompter into the camera. It was about a 20 minute speech. He said he wasn't happy with it and told us to turn off the prompter. He then delivered the speech again off the top of his head. He spoke for over twenty minutes and never stumbled or stammered once. It was really impressive.

The second time was a very strange author from England. He was some kind of self-help guru. He spoke for about an hour straight to camera without a prompter and only stumbled once near the very end of his speech. He must have given the speech hundreds of times. He knew it inside and out. Kind of like a stage actor who memorizes his lines. So maybe he wasn't a genius -- he just memorized his lines.

The third person was one of our horse racing friends - Dr. Z (William Ziemba, Ph.D.). We were at a conference and I suggested he make a promotional video about his hedge fund. I set up a simple shot in a hotel room. He started talking without a prompter and about 5 minutes into the speech he stopped and said he wanted to start over because he didn't like the direction he was going.

He started over and spoke for about 45 minutes -- again without a prompter and totally ad libbing -- and never stumbled or stammered once. That's how well he knew his subject.

So when you hear the candidates speak, you will be able to tell when they know the subject well and when they don't.

If you want to find out how difficult it is, turn on your video camera and talk directly to the camera on a subject and never stumble, stammer or search for the right word. It's incredibly difficult.

I can't really fault a candidate for stumbling and searching for an answer on some issues. No one can know everything. But on the big issues -- like the war or health care or some economic issues -- they should have some pretty good answers.

My opine is that a debate without the "advisors" in it is worse than useless.

The candidates and their top advisor(s) in foreign and domestic areas should be on the stage and then the advisors would take each other on with the candidates as the moderators.

The only way you will ever get anything of substance past sound bites is via that type of session.
No one person can even be on top of any ONE subject these days.

Otherwise, they may as well mud wrestle and shoot hoops.

The way they construct those debates is nuts, it's a waste of air time and nothing but a poor subsitute for a circus.

But, most seem to want that so that's what will happen I expect.

ddog
07-31-2008, 05:10 PM

agree, talk is sure a lot better than bad actions or action for actions sake.

We sure learned that one over and over with these clowns.

cj's dad
07-31-2008, 05:26 PM

“But watching Senator Obama address a crowd of 200,000 in Germany while Senator McCain addresses a crowd of two in the frozen food section…”

Yeah- that's where I want my info to come from !! Next guy you'll be quoting Mike Dukakis.:lol:

hcap
07-31-2008, 06:54 PM

Yeah- that's where I want my info to come from !! Next guy you'll be quoting Mike Dukakis.:lol:He seems to point well. No doubt in the debates pointing bravely to tomatoes will impress many :rolleyes:

Tom
08-01-2008, 07:43 AM
So while HUSSEIN wowed Europe and McCain selected vegatables, he also drew closer in the polls.

Strive for Five and stay alive.

Lefty
08-01-2008, 10:59 PM
Obamanation, says drilling for more oil is a scheme. If he thinks increasing the supply is a scheme he must've taken economics under Karl Marx.
Hmm, where have i heard that word, scheme before. Oh, oh, oh, The Dims called Bush's plan to partially privatize SS a scheme. Nothing got done and SS still in trble. That's the Dims plan, do nothing except raise taxes.

JustRalph
08-01-2008, 11:53 PM
I sure wish Bill Clinton had gone for the "scheme" ten years ago.

JustRalph
08-01-2008, 11:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mopkn0lPzM8

McCain puts out a somewhat funny ad..............

PaceAdvantage
08-02-2008, 01:55 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mopkn0lPzM8

McCain puts out a somewhat funny ad..............I personally thought the ad sucked. It could have been much, much better...

All that talk about the "chosen one" should have led to pictures of those Barack has CHOSEN to associate with....if you're going to go negative, go for the balls that Jesse was talking about!

highnote
08-02-2008, 02:28 AM
Otherwise, they may as well mud wrestle and shoot hoops.

I'll put my money on Obama if he wrestles or shoots hoops with McCain. :D

By the way, did any of you see the Letterman bit called "Cool / Not Cool".

Letterman showed a clip of Obama driving through the lane for a lay up. Cool.

Then he showed Dubya shooting hoops and he threw up an airball and made a face. Not Cool.

It was a pretty funny bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P20ivRVIRs

JustRalph
08-02-2008, 03:38 AM
I personally thought the ad sucked. It could have been much, much better...

All that talk about the "chosen one" should have led to pictures of those Barack has CHOSEN to associate with....if you're going to go negative, go for the balls that Jesse was talking about!

It's early................... :lol:

wonatthewire1
08-02-2008, 10:59 AM
I personally thought the ad sucked. It could have been much, much better...

Agreed about the ad sucking - should have used one of those black jesus pictures instead - that would have riled up the congregation

hcap
08-06-2008, 07:16 AM

With McSames science adviser on board, I'm sure the latest technology will be employed when "When the attacks begin"

http://wonkette.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/oldcomputer.jpg

Tom
08-06-2008, 07:33 AM
You play for the Yankees?
Because you certainly are out there in left field.

B Hussein keeps promising change. And delivering.
He changes his mind every other day. :lol:

hcap
08-06-2008, 07:41 AM
Just in case you probably thought his Etch-a-Sketch was the only internet device McSame uses. I simply posted his deluxe model. :jump:

hcap
08-06-2008, 08:49 AM
B Hussein keeps promising change. And delivering.
He changes his mind every other day. :lol:You mean like this....

http://static1.firedoglake.com/1/files//2008/08/mccain_ooops.jpg

Tom
08-06-2008, 09:30 AM
Inflating our tires.....now that is a revolutionary idea. :lol:
Drilling for our own oil is a waste of time, but inflating our tires is the answer!

Oh, you are going to be so disappointed in November.

Lefty
08-06-2008, 12:15 PM
On hannity and Colmes last night Ann Coulter had a great idea. She says that if inflating your tires solves the energy crisis then we should tell people to eat an apple a day to solve the healthcare crisis.

JustRalph
08-06-2008, 12:59 PM
On hannity and Colmes last night Ann Coulter had a great idea. She says that if inflating your tires solves the energy crisis then we should tell people to eat an apple a day to solve the healthcare crisis.

:lol: