PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga starts 1:35PM/ET Thursday

BombsAway Bob
07-23-2008, 06:15 PM
Saratoga | www.drf.com (http://www.drf.com)
Saratoga cancels Thursday steeplechase By JAY PRIVMAN

SARATOGA SPRINGS, N.Y. - The first race on Thursday at Saratoga, a steeplechase event scheduled for 2 1/16 miles, has been canceled because of inclement weather that forced all of Wednesday's grass races off the turf, officials of the New York Racing Association announced Wednesday afternoon.

As a result, the Thursday card will begin with the originally scheduled second race, at its listed post time of 1:35 p.m. Eastern, followed by races 3 through 10, also with their original post times and numbers.
Three turf races scheduled for Thursday will be run on the main track

trying2win
07-24-2008, 03:46 AM
I read about the steeplechase race somewhere else online. What the heck is that all about? Is that going to be a daily thing at Saratoga with paritmutuel betting?...or is it just a one time exhibition race with no betting allowed? If it's a regular feature, I sure won't be betting on any steeplechase race there :ThmbDown:. ...just like in the old DRAGNET TV show theme....DUMB...DEE..DUMB...DUMB......DUMB...DEE.. .DUMB...DUMB...DUMB!

T2W

BombsAway Bob
07-24-2008, 12:13 PM
July 30th, Aug.7th, & Aug.28th, Saratoga has a steeplechase race.

Bubbles
07-24-2008, 12:22 PM
I read about the steeplechase race somewhere else online. What the heck is that all about? Is that going to be a daily thing at Saratoga with paritmutuel betting?...or is it just a one time exhibition race with no betting allowed? If it's a regular feature, I sure won't be betting on any steeplechase race there :ThmbDown:. ...just like in the old DRAGNET TV show theme....DUMB...DEE..DUMB...DUMB......DUMB...DEE.. .DUMB...DUMB...DUMB!

T2WT2W, they've done chases there for years. It used to be every Thursday, but I guess they've scaled down a bit.

ryesteve
07-24-2008, 12:29 PM
So when do we start yelling at NYRA for not having contingencies in place that would've kept them from having to cancel the Steeplechase race? :D

trying2win
07-24-2008, 03:28 PM
T2W, they've done chases there for years. It used to be every Thursday, but I guess they've scaled down a bit.

BUBBLES:

Thanks for enlightening me. I didn't know that, as I never followed the Saratoga meet that closely in the past. Looks like another 'hurdle' for bettors to deal with. I wonder if some handicappers put aside some 'hedge' funds to bet on the steeplechase races :D. Good luck at the Saratoga meet.

T2W

sandpit
07-24-2008, 04:30 PM
BUBBLES:

Thanks for enlightening me. I didn't know that, as I never followed the Saratoga meet that closely in the past. Looks like another 'hurdle' for bettors to deal with. I wonder if some handicappers put aside some 'hedge' funds to bet on the steeplechase races :D. Good luck at the Saratoga meet.

T2W

My buddies and I bet on the jumpers, but not thru the windows. We set an over/under on how many will finish the race.

OTM Al
07-24-2008, 04:54 PM
Haven't any of you ever watched "A Day at The Races"? Jumps at Saratoga is old timey. They thought about getting rid of it for good after that opening day pileup year before last, but too many people wanted to keep it

trying2win
07-24-2008, 05:07 PM
I saw this announcement on the ELLIS PARK website:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wiener Dog Races July 26
See the fastest dogs in the Tri-State compete for top dog! First dog race is 10:15 a.m. Proceeds benefit Riverview School in Henderson.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

It seems Saratoga likes to do something different. That is, they have steeplechase races. Maybe they'll 'copycat' those wiener dog races, and run these kind of events once a week with parimutuel betting on them. :)

T2W

OTM Al
07-24-2008, 06:13 PM
A lot of tracks have that. They were running weiner dog races at one of the QH tracks last weekend too. Pretty funny. Best I ever saw like that though was a couple years ago at Laurel they were having competitons for the terriers that lived around the stables. One race was a steeple chase over hay bales and one of the little fellows figure out going around was much easier. It was really funny

JustRalph
07-24-2008, 07:13 PM
which track has the strippers running from the gate? Carried live on TVG

Btw, they are in bathing suits when they run.............top that one..........

joanied
07-24-2008, 08:59 PM
A lot of tracks have that. They were running weiner dog races at one of the QH tracks last weekend too. Pretty funny. Best I ever saw like that though was a couple years ago at Laurel they were having competitons for the terriers that lived around the stables. One race was a steeple chase over hay bales and one of the little fellows figure out going around was much easier. It was really funny

That must have been hilarious...I bet a lot of the tracks would benefit with having some of these goofy type races... maybe a race with those Miniature Horses...they ain't much bigger than a dog, must be a sight to see them running full speed!!

OTM...may I ask...what part of Brooklyn??

trying2win
07-26-2008, 03:34 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing an exhibition race shown on national TV, with the jockeys being certain racetrack or horsemen association executives, that bettors have come to loathe. Then after the race is over, I would declare that the race is null and void and that no winner will be declared until all the participants get off their high horses, and read out loud that they are sorry for the shameful, selfish way they have treated bettors, and that they promise to change their ways to focus primarly on customer serivice and satisfaction in the future.

Oh yeah...one more thing to any pompous racetrack or horsemen exectutives, or any of their flunkies that may be reading this post. Take the wise advice of Sam Walton in the quote below ( a man who knew a little something about how to run a successful business):

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"There is only one boss, the customer. And he can fire everybody in the company, from the chairman on down, simply by spending his money somewhere else."
—Sam Walton