PDA

View Full Version : help with dog problem

andicap
07-23-2008, 03:42 AM
My itchy three-year-old pooch Augie (pictured left in Halloween costume) has fleas.

We give her Frontline every month but it has done no good.
This site here offers a range of alternatives (not herbal but other chemcal-based products on the market)

http://www.extension.umn.edu/info-u/pets/BB486.html

My questions:

1. Do any of you have any suggestions for getting rid of fleas?

2. (This is probably more for the vet). Would there be any problems giving other medicines one week after we applied the Frontline?

thanks

OTM Al
07-23-2008, 09:39 AM
Best way to go with that is to see the vet. However, there is a good chance that the infestation is somewhere in or around your house. Somewhere where the dog frequents so every time you treat him and kill off what is on him, more just jump right back on. You might need to do one of those "bug bomb" things inside your house.

xtb
07-23-2008, 10:15 AM
Garlic is supposed to help with fleas but if you use straight garlic, too much can be a problem for some dogs. I used garlic/brewers yeast pills (made for dogs) for years with my dogs and they have never had fleas.

098poi
07-23-2008, 11:20 AM
I used to have cats (actually my girlfriends, when we lived together in a galaxy far, far away) and occasionally had a flea problem. If I remember correctly the fleas don't live on the host, they just eat there. It's very important to vacuum all areas the animal hangs out, carpets, couches, beds etc.. You can put a flea collar in the vacuum bag (I don't know if that really does anything) to kill as many as possible. Vacuum, vacuum, vacuum!!! That's the best I can do, good luck.

Tom
07-23-2008, 11:35 AM
Spray the rugs, furniture, your clothes...anyhwere they might hide out. You can get spray cans of stuff for the house.

JustRalph
07-23-2008, 02:40 PM
If I remember right, the Vet has a stronger version of the Frontline product.

Prescription versus over the counter. Get the script

KMS
07-23-2008, 04:58 PM
We have had good results with Program.

http://www.entirelypets.com/progfleconfo.html

juanepstein
07-23-2008, 05:55 PM
just give him the Telly Savalas look for the summer.

Pell Mell
07-23-2008, 07:35 PM
Are you sure the dog has fleas? Do you see the fleas or does the dogs scratching lead you to believe it's fleas?

I have dogs living indoors and outside and Frontline and products like it have served me well. I have one dog that scratches a lot because of allergies. There are a jillion allergies that dogs may have that causes them to itch.

If you find the dog has fleas it would be a good idea to keep the dog off lawns. Fleas live in lawns. I treat my lawn with pesticide to eliminate fleas and chiggers.