PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga on HRTV and TVG: Who to watch?

JustRalph
07-23-2008, 03:39 AM
It looks to me like Saratoga is on TVG and HRTV

Which do you choose to watch Saratoga?

CBedo
07-23-2008, 03:52 AM
Having DirecTV, my only choice is TVG.

While visiting my mother recently (who has DISH), I did get to check out HRTV, and I'm not sure if it's because I'm used to the TVG graphics and/or its analysts or for whatevr other reason, but I much preferred watching TVG.

windstone
07-23-2008, 05:17 AM
i go to a otb facility at a greyhound park. i donot online bet so have little in any interest in watching races on tv. the rare occasion is when i have to pre bet and have to leave before a race is run.

Mag
07-23-2008, 06:46 AM
HRTV puts up better graphics....when they put up the field, they show the jockey AND trainer; TVG shows jockey only. HRTV puts up sire & dam for all the horses; TVG does that for maidens only, and sometimes not even for them. In my opinion, TVG has better commentators, mostly.

Given all that and if I had to choose, it would be HRTV. Plus they have more interesting secondary tracks they show.

Tom
07-23-2008, 07:20 AM
HRTV - Matt-Free!:D

levinmpa
07-23-2008, 07:39 AM
HRTV is always my option if the track is shown on both networks. My reasons:

Graphics: HRTV always pops up the final odds for the race being shown after the horses cross the finish. What a concept! I can't stand TVG's alternating odds graphics. Invariably the race you just watched will be the 4th in the odds rotation and you have to wait 60 - 90 seconds to see final odds. Why they can't popup a final odds graphic after the finish is beyond me.

No Touting: When watching HRTV, I don't have to hear any touting or be bombarded with Pick 4 and Pick 6 tickets rotating on the screen, with the idiotic "Go to TVG.com" mystery leg. Does actually take the time to find out who these losers actually like in the mystery leg. In my opinion, the constant touting of tickets is very unprofessional when an ROI is not presented.

"Talent": I much prefer Laffit Pincay, Jeff Siegel, Kurt Hoover, and even Millie Ball over Todd Schrupp, Ken Rudolph, Mr. B and Simon Bray. There are some at TVG I like. The Sarge and Frank Lyons bring a lot to the table. Unfortunately they always seem to be on with Todd or Ken.

cj's dad
07-23-2008, 08:01 AM
TVG shows jockey only.

Incorrect

cj's dad
07-23-2008, 08:11 AM
Regarding posts #4-5-6

I remember back when to make a wager, one had to drive to the track; no OTB's here. Now, most of us ? have the option of sitting in our homes and watching MULTIPLE RACES being run at tracks around the country. So what if TVG offers pk 4 and 6 advice? So what if Matt talks too much? This beats the alternative of driving x# of miles, paying for inflated concessions, parking, etc...

Odds changing goes on at the track also; live with it.
Many tracks have a terrible PA system; at home, I can hear the race call loud and clear. And if one hits a signer, the paperwork is done automatically. Negative-negative-negative.

Irish Boy
07-23-2008, 08:22 AM
Regarding posts #4-5-6

I remember back when to make a wager, one had to drive to the track; no OTB's here. Now, most of us ? have the option of sitting in our homes and watching MULTIPLE RACES being run at tracks around the country. So what if TVG offers pk 4 and 6 advice? So what if Matt talks too much? This beats the alternative of driving x# of miles, paying for inflated concessions, parking, etc...

Odds changing goes on at the track also; live with it.
Many tracks have a terrible PA system; at home, I can hear the race call loud and clear. And if one hits a signer, the paperwork is done automatically. Negative-negative-negative.

But, so what? The question is HRTV vs TVG. It could very well be that track experience < TVG < HRTV. I prefer HRTV myself, although that may very well just be habit, as I watch Arlington.

cj's dad
07-23-2008, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the insight as to the original question.

My comments were directed to those posters who were finding a reson to go off topic and ONCE AGAIN complain about TVG/HRTV; services that were not available years ago, and are being offered free to those who have the ability to receive them.

Tom
07-23-2008, 09:01 AM
How is it off topic when he asked which we would watch?
Isn't the REASON to choose one over the other relevant?

socantra
07-23-2008, 09:46 AM
How is it off topic when he asked which we would watch?
Isn't the REASON to choose one over the other relevant?

It certainly seems so to me. I went to the trouble of installing a new dish so I could get HRTV and I consider it much, much superior. Now, i can even listen to the audio without endangering my television set near as often and I no longer have to remove all easily throwable objects from the area of my chair.

That being said, i suspect more people would choose TVG, simply because it is more widely available. A lot of people still don't have the option of HRTV.

cj
07-23-2008, 09:50 AM
I have both, but have rarely watched HRTV...just habit I guess. I usually only switch it on when a race I want to see that isn't on TVG is being shown. I'm going to try it the next few days and see which I prefer.

ldiatone
07-23-2008, 09:52 AM
hrtv and 'puter

JBmadera
07-23-2008, 10:01 AM
twinspires TV.....unless it has a super slow connection then I will be forced to watch TVG.

Tampa Russ
07-23-2008, 10:02 AM
I'll switch back and forth depending upon other tracks being shown..no particluar loyalties here.

titans1127
07-23-2008, 10:21 AM
I would like to watch the races in my room on the computer using my Xpressbet account but for some reason Saratoga is blocked from online wagering and live video to NY residents when Aqueduct and Belmont had no restrictions. Don't understand that at all. NYRA and Finger Lakes are not restricted but the NY harness tacks Xpressbet carries are restricted.

Instead i will be catching some of the races on the local OTB channel we have here on Long Island run by Nassau OTB. Although who knows what they will be showing as the last 2 days they only shows the odds of tracks and giving only live audio but no video. Normally its NYRA then whatever is left and then they cut off from 6-8 to show some RAI Italian channel and then after 8 just live audio and odds but no video. Nassau OTB must not be allowed to show harness racing or nighttime racing alltogether which sucks because all the other OTB's in NYS that have a channel dont have these restrictions. It would be nice to have more variety of racing thoughout the day each day without having to pay 6 bucks more for TVG which is in a 10-15 channel sports pack full of stuff I won't watch.

1st time lasix
07-23-2008, 10:44 AM
I like TVG except when Ken Rudolph rambles on...and on....and on... I think he truly loves the sound of his own voice. Otherwise I flip back to it when races are being run at major tracks. There "all-access" is enjoyable, a couple of their announcers/analysts are solid and Christine O is terrific! I do not play at home....I go to the local simulcast venue. I am fearful that it would be like an alcoholic working at a liquor store! ha!

Tom
07-23-2008, 10:44 AM
I would like to watch the races in my room on the computer using my Xpressbet account but for some reason Saratoga is blocked from online wagering and live video to NY residents when Aqueduct and Belmont had no restrictions. Don't understand that at all. NYRA and Finger Lakes are not restricted but the NY harness tacks Xpressbet carries are restricted.

SAY WHAT????
No wagering on Saratoga in NYS???

What about You Bet?
This sucks.

titans1127
07-23-2008, 10:54 AM
SAY WHAT????

What about You Bet?
This sucks.I don't have an actual youbet.com account so I'm not sure. But their website has a chart with restrictions that doesn't list Saratoga at all.

Marshall Bennett
07-23-2008, 11:20 AM
Depends on who is hosting . " Mr. B " is a boring as growing grass . Jon White comes across as a funeral director . Just depends . :p

BombsAway Bob
07-23-2008, 12:12 PM
I'm comcast-bound, so HRTV is a rumor to me...
TVG is on one of my TV's virtualy +12 hours a day...
NYRA STREAMING VIDEO is my #1 source for track info.
TVG will attempt to cover Monmouth/Suffolk/Ellis as well
as THE SPA, so expect to miss paddock views, PParades
at the proper time, & still get time to see "the special 9-11 silver $20 bill...
designed to show the twin towers gleaming like they were on that
fateful morning.."-I hate those F:( :( :( 'in Slimeball Ads!

BUD
07-23-2008, 02:03 PM
I'll watch it on Twinspires....Then Race time watch it on the big screen.....With TVG because of Direct TV only offering them...

I like Monday and Tuesdays with TVG.....All Access Sunday is all right as well.....But they have one guy on Sundays...Dark hair, glasses.....I am an easy going guy but this guy just drives me nuts.......I must be easy going I even enjoy Matt.....Frank Lyons......Nick...Vic.....Frank.....

HRTV....I enjoy the women...Long hair...She does Race Day America.....Her side kick is all right......The Jockey son is ok too......Frank White is great......

Sorry about the lack of names....The MS does that......brain fog:bang:

JustRalph
07-23-2008, 02:33 PM
Depends on who is hosting . " Mr. B " is a boring as growing grass . Jon White comes across as a funeral director . Just depends . :p

John White and his "pedigree" laced sentences are too much. Jon White Introducing Liza Minnelli

" And now ladies and Gents, we welcome Liza Minnelli, out of Vincent Minnelli, Judy Garland, stakes winnning half sister to............."

you get the point

titans1127
07-23-2008, 02:39 PM
SAY WHAT????

What about You Bet?
This sucks.Just logged into my Xpressbet account and they fixed the problem. NYS residents can wager but can't view online video. They did the same thing for Aqueduct but they must have made a mistake for the Belmont meet as video was available each racing day.

JBmadera
07-23-2008, 03:03 PM
match made in he**: todd and ken on tvg right now.......:bang:

Tom
07-23-2008, 03:08 PM
Thanks, titan....had me worried there.
I watch live on HRTV because the stupid state of NY can't regulate them.

netbet
07-23-2008, 06:43 PM
I will watch on HRTV. I get tired of TVG hocking their picks and to boot, only show you a partial wager as you have to be a TVG member to see the "mystery" race of the wager.

HRTV usually concentrates on the races and not the on-air personalities.

Patrick

Marshall Bennett
07-23-2008, 06:58 PM
I will watch on HRTV. I get tired of TVG hocking their picks and to boot, only show you a partial wager as you have to be a TVG member to see the "mystery" race of the wager.

HRTV usually concentrates on the races and not the on-air personalities.

Patrick
The "mystery" race really doesn't matter as they strike out 95% of the time anyway . :D

joanied
07-23-2008, 07:59 PM
I voted HRTV...but I do switch back & forth between the two sometimes. I prefer the commentaters on HRTV and as mentioned, the graphics put TVG in the sh----r.
I also love the HRTV show "Inside Information"...TVG has the show "Legends" and I enjoy that too...but if I HAD to choose between both...I'd opt for HRTV (I see Saratgoa racing there too)
:)
PS...since I don't (can't) wager...this is from that point of view...no wagering...just great racing, great commentary and the graphics.

cj's dad
07-23-2008, 08:05 PM
The "mystery" race really doesn't matter as they strike out 95% of the time anyway . :D

So, let me get this straight, your h'capping skills are predicated on what the TVG folks think????

srdnaty
07-23-2008, 09:18 PM
TVG's production value seems to be much higher than HRTV's. HRTV seems like it could be on your local cable access channel. That said I love having both.

Yorker
07-23-2008, 09:58 PM
I voted for "other".

Thanks.

Fingal
07-24-2008, 01:17 AM
HRTV is always my option if the track is shown on both networks. My reasons:

Graphics: HRTV always pops up the final odds for the race being shown after the horses cross the finish. What a concept! I can't stand TVG's alternating odds graphics. Invariably the race you just watched will be the 4th in the odds rotation and you have to wait 60 - 90 seconds to see final odds. Why they can't popup a final odds graphic after the finish is beyond me.

Since I have DishNetwork, I get both TVG & HRTV. If a race is on both channels at the same time, I'll always watch HRTV. Both show the track feed, BUT TVG puts up their own graphics ( 1st 4 runners & odds. ) HRTV shows the NYRA ones, & shows each fraction as the race progresses ( 1/4, 1/2. 3/4 or whatever ) & leaves them on the screen. With TVG sometimes they show fractions, sometimes not. Evidently TVG doesn't evidently think fractions matter much, but I'm sure their " Talent" use them in their own handicapping-

Marshall Bennett
07-24-2008, 09:30 AM
So, let me get this straight, your h'capping skills are predicated on what the TVG folks think????
I was only pointing out that their idea of a " mystery race " is dumb . Most of us live in a state that cannot wager thru TVG , therefore are unable to view the entire ticket . Has nothing to do with my handicapping skills , more of a point of interest , which is the reason most of us watch television isn't it ? ...smartass !!

levinmpa
07-24-2008, 02:03 PM
Since I have DishNetwork, I get both TVG & HRTV. If a race is on both channels at the same time, I'll always watch HRTV. Both show the track feed, BUT TVG puts up their own graphics ( 1st 4 runners & odds. ) HRTV shows the NYRA ones, & shows each fraction as the race progresses ( 1/4, 1/2. 3/4 or whatever ) & leaves them on the screen. With TVG sometimes they show fractions, sometimes not. Evidently TVG doesn't evidently think fractions matter much, but I'm sure their " Talent" use them in their own handicapping-

I'm in agreement that I like the fact that HRTV gives you the track feed and doesn't mess with the signal. I can't stand TVG plastering their logo all over the screen, and at least for the So. Cal races, they control the picture. Instead of giving the split screen shot, they switch back and forth between the 2 shots that would be present in the split screen. Why they do this is beyond me. I guess their technical director figures he has to do something if he's getting a check. Unfortunately, the So. Cal tracks are not available on both networks. If they were, I would be watching HRTV. Lately, I've been finding myself watching the track feed on calracing.com more and more because I get so annoyed with TVG.

asH
07-24-2008, 03:36 PM
TVG often incorrectly posts the fractions; I watch NYRA feed on my comp. through TVG's mini sized video streaming. I would love to watch the competition, but DIRECTV doesn’t seem interested that there are some horse players who would like to see HRTV on the menu......or at least my one man campaign didn’t cause interest.

Anyone interested in a HRTV on DirecTV campaign??

BUD
07-24-2008, 06:33 PM
Ash.. I'm game....I had contacted Direct........If you wanna join forces....I will be more than happy...

JustRalph
07-24-2008, 07:27 PM
[font=Calibri][size=3]TVG often incorrectly posts the fractions;

how the hell do they do that? I thought they get them direct from the track feed? Are you talking during the race?

price
07-24-2008, 08:07 PM
rtn

asH
07-25-2008, 12:00 PM
they apparently type in or something to that effect along with their own graphics. Ive emailed them on numerous occasions about it. During the early part of Keeneland's meet they were horrible.
I copy all fractions of a card that I'm playing for that day, I use them to determine realtime bias trends relative to class....For me fractions tell the story of a race

asH
07-25-2008, 12:14 PM
Ash.. I'm game....I had contacted Direct........If you wanna join forces....I will be more than happy...

Ive emailed them a few times... Perhaps an email campaign from interested DTV customers may get some attention.

BIG49010
07-26-2008, 12:48 AM
HPI -1 Full track feed including the bell