PDA

View Full Version : Hours spent on Handicapping

mylosh
07-23-2008, 12:11 AM
just curious

how many hours a week do each of you spend on horse betting?

this includes time researching, time spent at track, reading books, online research, etc

thanks

KMS
07-23-2008, 12:30 AM
45 minutes to an hour a day on any day that I play, not counting actually watching the races. This doesn't include all the time I've put in over the years studying and practicing. That's where I really paid my dues, as I suspect is the case for most. Now it's mostly just doing the math. If I ever get around to writing a spreadsheet to do it automatically, it won't take any time at all.

BUD
07-23-2008, 08:14 AM
I am a disabled, sick guy.....Who is freekin bored.....So besides for a little news....The Sopranos....

The rest of my day is learning and playing this game....

So my time is lopsided by choice.......Plus I am very competitive and want to catch up to some of you folks,, Make up for lost time...

CBedo
07-23-2008, 10:57 AM
Handicapping for me is the smallest piece of the time pie in the process. Watching and betting races still takes the longest. I also spend considerable time on research, more now than ever I think. Lastly, don't forget about evaluation and record keeping. After the races are run, I like to go back and look at any "strange" outcomes. I guess this could be considered research, but I use it as part of my record keeping. Record keeping doesn't take too long, and is an invaluable part of the process. Without it, I wouldn't know what types of races, and what types of bets I need to work more on, or I need to try to crush.

boomman
07-23-2008, 12:20 PM
I spend about 4 hours a day just looking at the various cards across the country, and then a couple of hours a day between betting races, watching video, etc....Definitely a full time job since 1978,,,,,,,,,,,;)

Boomer

dav4463
07-25-2008, 07:38 AM
I handicap a race in about three minutes. I can normally see my contenders within one minute. If I spend too much time on a race, then it is usually one that I will not win.

The hardest part of the game for me is making the right bet for the situation.

The most time consuming part for me is keeping records of my results.

RichieP
07-25-2008, 08:05 AM
:16: + :4:

point given
07-25-2008, 10:02 AM
I handicap a race in about three minutes. I can normally see my contenders within one minute. If I spend too much time on a race, then it is usually one that I will not win.

The hardest part of the game for me is making the right bet for the situation.

I can relate to your comment about spending too much time on a race and usually not winning it. I tend to play horizontal bets, and sometimes I like 2 legs but not the 3rd or 4th leg of the wager. I spend alot of time trying to figure out a race that I have little or no feel for, to make a bet. These are situations I know i should pass or press the all button ( which i do very little). The tough races are often the nickle /conditional claimers or state bred races. I then seek out other sources to see who likes the race and what they have to say about it.

As far as how much time spent during the week, i'd say 2-3 hours to handicap a card, plus time watching the card 4-5 hours. I also try to check charts on the internet to see whats been going on at a track if I haven't been playing it. The part I need to spend more time on is watching replays, which can take alot of time, i think, if not done daily.

Robert Fischer
07-25-2008, 11:16 AM
I am a disabled, sick guy.....Who is freekin bored.....So besides for a little news....The Sopranos....

The rest of my day is learning and playing this game....

So my time is lopsided by choice.......Plus I am very competitive and want to catch up to some of you folks,, Make up for lost time...

Hope the game brings you energy and entertainment. :ThmbUp: