PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga Opening Card- Stinks

menifee
07-22-2008, 11:24 PM
40% of the card is NYSB races. NYRA keeps diluting the product.

I grew up in Upstate NY. I spent my summers at the Spa with my father who was a teacher and had the summer off. These were the greatest summers of my life. One thing that made it great was seeing the best horses from around the United States come to the Spa to compete. I realize each race can not be a graded race or even a stakes race, but the Allowance and Claiming races that they had on weekday cards had some tremendous horses when I was a kid.

This is a joke. I'm tired of NY State Bred races. NYRA - you are killing your gem. This is the Spa's opening day and it looks very similar to a Belmont Sunday card. Please stop carding NY State Bred races.

Anyway, for those playing the card tom. Here is an interesting article regarding track bias last year. My recollection from years past is that inside speed always does very well.

http://www.troyrecord.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=19859099&BRD=1170&PAG=461&dept_id=31001&rfi=6

ManeMediaMogul
07-23-2008, 06:25 AM
State-bred races have ruined Saratoga.:ThmbDown:

lamboguy
07-23-2008, 07:00 AM
no one complains in pennsylvania or california about state bred races. the new york breds have done nothing but get stronger and stronger every single year.

most of these horses are now concieved in other places and dropped in new york state. its a boost to the state economy, and is one faccet of the game that has worked out well. you might have a 12 horse field and only 5 competitive entities involved, but you get the same thing in open races and lots of the time not as many horses as in new york bred races.

i don't think you can knock horses like thunderrumble, instant friendship,funnycyde, and bustin stones. i know of at least 6 2 yo new york breds this year from only 2 different trainers that are as good as most open horses.

this is one thing that hasn't been screwed up. the program works and i see nothing wrong with showcasing the better horses at its premier meet, it brings more people into the game.

cj
07-23-2008, 07:30 AM
They are carding races that will fill. I don't really care for them either, but it beats a steady diet of 4, 5, and 6 horse fields. Not long ago, they didn't card turf sprints at Saratoga or Delmar.

rrbauer
07-23-2008, 07:48 AM
They are carding races that will fill. I don't really care for them either, but it beats a steady diet of 4, 5, and 6 horse fields. Not long ago, they didn't card turf sprints at Saratoga or Delmar.

I agree. Racing Secretaries have to write/fill races based on the horse inventory available to them. Today will never measure up to yesterday in the minds of many people. If you think that state-bred races suck it's pretty easy to just pass----isn't it?

FWIW I think that NY-breds in open company are great to bet against.

Bruddah
07-23-2008, 08:24 AM
with the cost of fuel and transportation going up, the longterm trend will be back to smaller regional circuits. Especially, if the ADW problem isn't fixed in the short term and there is less purse money. It's as obvious as the nose on a horse's face. ;)

BUD
07-23-2008, 10:37 AM
Are these "stinky" races of the turf today.........

My weather bug aint working right today..

rufus999
07-23-2008, 11:15 AM
40% of the card is NYSB races. NYRA keeps diluting the product.

What's left to run? Thoroughbred breeding practices are watering down the stock for the small time investor. Get used to it.:)

rufus

ryesteve
07-23-2008, 11:24 AM
Thoroughbred breeding practices are watering down the stock for the small time investor.
Are you saying the breeding industry is purposely breeding cheap horses in order to attract investors with limited funds?? That's some theory...

rufus999
07-23-2008, 11:49 AM
Are you saying the breeding industry is purposely breeding cheap horses in order to attract investors with limited funds?? That's some theory...

Hofstra University now offers a course in thoroughbred ownership and management. Who's that for?

rufus

cj
07-23-2008, 11:50 AM
Are these "stinky" races of the turf today.........

My weather bug aint working right today..

Off the turf.

point given
07-23-2008, 11:59 AM
Off the turf.

Sealed and sloppy.

ryesteve
07-23-2008, 12:08 PM
Hofstra University now offers a course in thoroughbred ownership and management. Who's that for?What would the Hofstra course catalog have to do with breeders willingly shooting themselves in the foot?

Do you also think the stock market is tanking because wall street wants to make stocks more affordable to smaller investors?

rufus999
07-23-2008, 12:19 PM
What would the Hofstra course catalog have to do with breeders willingly shooting themselves in the foot?

College course cirriculum speaks volumes about the economy. There is no connection that I'm aware of between the breeder's association and the university.

rufus

Onion Monster
07-23-2008, 10:19 PM
I only bet the first 8 races, but was the rail as bad as some of the jocks thought it was? I'm not much of a bias detector when it comes to path, but horses were taken very wide coming home. For future reference, should I upgrade any horses stuck inside?