PDA

View Full Version : Opening Day at the Spa

Bubbles
07-22-2008, 12:19 PM
RACE #1

This is a fine way to start out the meet. It's a one-mile starter allowance on the grass, and it's WIDE open. MILLENIUM JET, STORMY MIRAGE, and DANCING TIN MAN are the chalks for a reason, and all three should run well if the rain holds off. For longshot lookers, THE SHAUGHRAUN at 8-1 made up seven lengths in the final half-mile at Belmont last out. If he can get position from his outside post, he'll be flying late.

OFF-THE-TURF PICKS: Coach Butts singled in doubles and pick three's, with Love Everybody and Star Player behind him in exotics.

RACE #2

Ah, the first 2YO race of the meet. You can make a case for a lot of these horses, but I like the entry of PIOUS DAVID and ZENSATIONAL as well as COGNITO on top, followed by PRINCE TETON. In terms of a possible wet track, there's not much to go off of, but FLYING PRIVATE does have a stellar work in the mud at Churchill Downs as well as a great mud pedigree.

RACE #3

Bounce alert! ACCREDIT ran second to Desert Key on Belmont Stakes day on a souped-up track, so that effort is nowhere near as good as his 8/5 odds would indicate. He does move up on a wet track, but for the time being, I'm going with API MOHKAT (coming back to the dirt off a failed turf experiment), GOLDEN AGE (out since May, but Calder shippers always run faster everywhere else), and HANDSOME REWARD (has early speed and cuts back in distance).

RACE #4

The dreaded 3-and-up maiden for NY-breds going long on the turf. This actually is a decent field by those standards, though, and it makes for a good betting race. On grass, I'll go with PEGASIAN (the rare regally-bred New Yorker; by FuPeg out of a Nijinsky II mare, and he improved a lot in his first turf start), BURNISHED COPPER (bothered badly in the stretch last out but finished ahead of Pegasian by a neck), and the long shot SMARTERALEX (loses seven pounds of weight off his last effort and should be running well late). Also look out for FRA LIPPO, who has been off for a year but is in the more-than-capable hands of Clement, adds blinkers, and has been working well.

OFF-THE-TURF PICKS: Theartofcompromise wheeled up and down in exactas with Miracle Causeway and Slick Wheelie.

RACE #5

Another 2YO race, this one for NY-breds. Two firsters, VINNIE VAN GO and TEAPOT DOME, look well-meant based on recent works and trainer percentages, and I'll use them with the ML favorite FIDDLERS AFLEET, who ran well in his debut. Also, if also-eligible PEGASUS TOMMY D. draws in, look out; he sports a recent bullet at Belmont and should be ready to go.

RACE #6

I don't do turf sprints. If moved to the dirt, JAZZ NATION may be my best bet of the day, though. He ran second in a $250,000 stakes race in his only start on natural dirt, nosing out a pretty talented horse named Lantana Mob who's won several stakes since. I'll put him on top of MTO horse NEW MEMBER and 10-1 shot CROWNED GENERAL.

RACE #7

Still on the turf but going longer, and we get our third state-bred race of the day, which is a bit much. ADMIRAL BIRD crossed the wire first last out but was DQ'd, and is a pretty honest horse, finishing in the money in 10 of 15 lifetime starts. He's not a clean-cut choice, but he's one I'm using along with BETHPAGE BLACK and THUNDER MINISTER.

OFF-THE-TURF PICKS: If they hit the main track, Successful Affair and Building New Era are head and shoulders above the rest.

RACE #8

Turf sprint (for NY-breds...AGAIN), and I only bet these if they go off the grass. JOHNIE BYE NIGHT may be best remembered as the horse who ran second to Funny Cide in that one's last career start. He's finished in the top two in 11 of 17 starts, and he's worth a long look if Mother Nature decides rear her head. Both MTO horses, GOLD AND ROSES and STORMIN NORMANDY, also look tough, but at 15-1 odds, give me Johnie Bye Night.

RACE #9

OCEAN COLORS is the 5/2 favorite after a big maiden win at Churchill, but I'm going to try to beat her. MANI BHAVAN ships in from Delaware, which is almost as slow as Calder. She broke her maiden by over nine lengths and ran the last furlong in just over twelve seconds, which tells me she should stretch out to six well enough. I'll also put COLLEGIATE, who broke her maiden under a fairly-easy ride, on top as well, with Ocean Colors and longshot RENDA underneath.

RACE #10

Spooky Mulder, a possible illegitimate child of the kin who've produced Evening Attire, is back at the Spa at ten years old. He's sharp as a tack, too, having won his last two starts coming in. He's got some work to do, but ultimately, I put him on top of other contenders RUMSPRINGA, ACCLIMATE, and FARNO. Not much changes in the mud, but 12-1 shot RED HOT DAWN does move up thanks to his last two, which were both solid off-track efforts.

JustRalph
07-22-2008, 02:41 PM
Race 1
:11: :8:

Race 2
:1: :4: :5:

JustRalph
07-22-2008, 02:42 PM
Race 3
:1: :4:

Race 4
:3: :8: :11:

JustRalph
07-22-2008, 02:43 PM
Race 5
:1: :2: :11: tuffy

JustRalph
07-22-2008, 02:45 PM
Race 6
:6: :5: :1a:

JustRalph
07-22-2008, 02:46 PM
Race 7
:6: :1: :13:

JustRalph
07-22-2008, 02:49 PM
Race 8
:8: :12: :1: This is a wide open one.......hard to choose

Race 9
:1: :9:

JustRalph
07-22-2008, 02:51 PM
Race 10
:2: :11: :7: :1:

The 5 image limit is why this took up so many posts. Just testing it out.

sam i am
07-22-2008, 06:11 PM
Race 1: we go 1 mile on the inner turf (hopefully). I like The Shaughraun @ a square price of 8-1 this 5yo Gelding shows the best late punch, 3rd start off the LO with Mr. Garcia staying aboard he will be my key. Will use with Romp (15-1) a Bruce Brown starter that draws E. Prado, this 3rd start off the LO horse looks to be rounding back into form and for third the very logical Dancing Tin Man very nice horse that fits very well in here. If they come off the turf Coach Butts looks the best.

Race 2: 2yo going 5.5 F Brave Victory’s sire is Lion heart who with a limited amount a starters has produced a high percentage of winners and I get Prado, next the logical Cognito this $700K colt took money in his first for Asmussen and looks pretty tough in here another $700K colt is 2nd time starter Flying Private for D Wayne Lukas who has showed early speed in last before being running into a little trouble. Another young Sire that has very high win percent with first time starters is Speightstown who has In Speight of it. As always watch the board in these races full of FTS.

Race 3: Accredit get the top selection in here, has done very little wrong, in the money last 5 races 3 of those non-graded stakes. Has great connection with Mclaughlin and Garcia. Next is Connecticut Yankee 1st time Jimmy Jerkens/ R Dominguez and to fill the triple I like Golden Age he has showed late speed in both of his starts and should be passing horses at end.

Race 4: 8.5 F on Inner Turf. Burnished Copper is 0-8 but Motion has this horse going in the right direction finally, made a good middle move in last that should but him in the winners circle today. I will use with Alpha Dancer and Cops fever both logical contender.

Race 5: 2yo going 5F. Teapot Dome FTS from Hushion look very strong in here nice work out pattern, Hushion is magic at Saratoga w/fts and Mr Greeley (sire) produces a very respectable 12% winners first time out. Tom Bush sends out Fiddlers Afleet who showed a good turn of foot early before finishing 2nd in his first start, Bush doesn’t have great numbers for 2nd time out but he just looks better then the rest. Vinnie Van go has a good tab working out over the last 6 weeks and since they paid $120K for this NYB he might be worth a look.

Race 6: 5.5F Turf. Of all times looked good battling for a half mile in last vs NYB in his first turf race for Levine, stays on the grass and steps up to open alw with Levine and Coa in his corner he gets top selection. Marq of Love ran a hole in the wind last out and could be a bounce candidate but that was a vary nice race wouldn’t use on top unless odds a better than ML(7/2). Jazz nation is my last contender he has been running on the fake most of short career with pretty good results (3 of 4 in the money) this is his 2nd of layoff for Asmussen and if he can run back to his only turf race (January) has a good chance to make some noise in the exotics, he also should step up if this comes off the green.

Race 7: 8.5F Inner Turf. I looked long and hard at this race I think it is very typical of Saratoga turf race very competitive horse race, so I can’t take the favorite. The horse I am leaning with is Typhoon Tycoon from trainer Linda Fisher there is a positive jockey switch from Chavez to Albarado and his last race was at this level and pressed the pace the entire mile before giving way and today is his third race off the layoff which should move him forward at 20-1. Next is Logic Way third off the layoff with just missing in his last by a nose at this level, Dutrow and Prado ensure that he will be the favorite. Continental Reins first time in for claim for Jimmy Jerkens, 2 years ago this horse was running some very big numbers came back with 2 subpar races in May and has been away since workout pattern is good at big price will use. Another contenders is Admiral Bird from turf gods Clement and Garcia .

Race 8: 5.5F Turf Linda Rice is queen of the Saratoga turf sprints so there is no need to look past the trainer line. Mohegan Sky, Silver Timber and Ahvee’s Destiny. If they take this off the turf the logical horse is Stormin Normandy and it is a pass race for me.

Race 9: 6F GIII The Schuylerville for 2yo fillies. I am leaning toward Collegiate she ran against a bias in her first start and jog, this $400K filly ran the top number last out for Hennig and should repeat. If she regress of that big race first race I like Mine all Mine Ward might opt out for a easy spot Thursday, but if he doesn’t I think she has a good chance to fill, this filly’s last race she had to be rushed from the 10 post at CD going 5f ran a pretty good race to be second, the race before that she ran poorly in a G3 at CD with a little trouble, she is still a maiden But any 2yo that Wesley Ward sends out deserves a very long look. To fill out the triple I will use Chartreux from Michael Hushion.

Race 10: 6F I come up with Steelix from the almost unknown K. Ziadie This shipper ran a big fig in last at Delaware, Jockey Cardoso come with him big chance vs low level claimers. A couple others with good chances are Acclimate who is coming off a 2 month freshening, ran very well at the big A earlier this year should big coming late along with Rumspringa from the hot connections of Levine and Coa.

JustRalph
07-23-2008, 05:02 AM
I have never seen a more diverse group of picks on one card............including some of the other threads.............

Wow! I am either way off or way on :lol:

This should be fun

sammy the sage
07-23-2008, 06:27 PM
very nice out-right call...""OFF-THE-TURF PICKS: Theartofcompromise ""

shoulda paid for your whole day! :cool: