PDA

View Full Version : No Power

Tom
07-22-2008, 07:43 AM
I tried to turn on the computer last night, and the power light was lit, but nothing on the monitor. I checked it on the network and the computer was not accessible. Then, tri
ed to turn it off and could not. Held the button in forever and it would not go off. I had to unplug it, then, after that, I can't get anything to start - no lights, no nothing.

Sound like the power supply is wacked?

nativenova
07-22-2008, 09:18 AM
Tom,
I recently had the same problems in my case it turned out to be the motherboard,
what you can do is bring it to Best Buy have them plug it in with one of their plugs and see if it works, could be the power supply you will know right away

Dave Schwartz
07-22-2008, 09:26 AM
Tom,

I have seen this before. It could be anything from the motherboard to overheating.

Recently I had it on one of our machines that runs a constant , 24-7 process. It was overheating. After a cool down period it could restart then it would happen all over again.

Usually it is hardware, sometimes it can be software.

In the most recent example (i.e. the overheating), there was a bios program that shuts the machine down if it gets to hot. Well, the temperature threshhold was set too low, causeing the machine to shut down even if it wasn't over-heated.

Dave

Tom
07-22-2008, 09:58 AM
Thaks guys.
I'm taking it to a repair shop tonight.
It had been off all day ( I turn it off every night), so I don't think it was heat.
I did get attacked this weekend - several atttempts were blocked, but maybe something got through?
Hope it wasn't lightning! :eek:

Dave Schwartz
07-22-2008, 12:06 PM
As we speak, I have one machine that just this morning developed that condition.

:bang:

Tom
07-22-2008, 12:39 PM
Oh crap....I jinxed you! :blush:

Tom
07-24-2008, 09:04 PM
Ouch.
Motherboard.
That's two words I used tonight that start with mother. :eek::13:

raybo
07-26-2008, 09:04 AM
I have a similar problem on my old computer. I turned it on one day and it started to boot but then stopped. Haven't had it checked out yet but was told by a tech that it could be power supply, motherboard, harddrive, or processor. Hmmmmmm.

Tom
07-26-2008, 09:34 AM
I get my new computer today...I had them put the old hard drive in as a slave. Now to see if any of my Formulator files will work.

The downside is here is is the first weekend of the SPA and I'm re-installing everything instead of capping. And trying to remember how to set up a network. Bummer.

Tom
07-27-2008, 12:22 AM
You guys are not going to have me to kick around anymore.
Got my new machine up and running, and the SPELL CHECK on this forum works now.......sorry, :4::6: :lol:

raybo
07-27-2008, 07:23 AM
You guys are not going to have me to kick around anymore.
Got my new machine up and running, and the SPELL CHECK on this forum works now.......sorry, :4::6: :lol:

Dang it, there goes some more free entertainment out the window! :(

Tom
07-27-2008, 12:54 PM
Sorry abuot taht. :D