PDA

View Full Version : Flashback

Norm
07-21-2008, 05:24 PM
Here I am, 'capping the card for Thursday at Monmouth when suddenly I do a double-take. "Huh . . . what ?" There, in the 6th, was a blast from the past, a name that evokes foggy old memories from half a century ago. Lincoln Road is running in the 6th this week in a MSW ! Now, if you weren't there in 1958, you have no idea what I'm babbling about, but if you were there then you remember that Lincoln Road was the horse that 'almost' beat Tim Tam in both the Derby and Preakness that year. Like a number of others from the past, Lincoln Road was a good horse who had the misfortune of being foaled in a year when there was a horse just a little bit better. Even after Tim Tam had won the Derby and the press was regaling his trainer Jimmy Jones of Calumet Farm with assurances the Tim Tam would run away with the Preakness, Jones tipped his hat to his adversary when he replied, " The horse that takes the money home will have to catch Lincoln Road." Of course, Tim Tam did catch the strong front runner Lincoln Road and Won The Preakness.

The curious thing is that the Jockey Club horse naming rules will let you re-use a name after 20 years (is it still 20 years ? The rules keep changing) but the name of a famous horse can never be re-used. (There will never be another Native Dancer). So the moral of the story is that finishing second in the Derby and Preakness does not make you famous enough to preserve the name !

It would be a nice bit of nostalgia if the new Lincoln Road won his race Thursday, but, well, looking at his credentials . . . I think maybe not. Then again, it's a horse race and anything can happen. Still, I think the old Lincoln Road's legacy is safe for another 20 years.

OTM Al
07-21-2008, 06:22 PM
Here is the famous naming rule

http://www.jockeyclub.com/registry.asp?section=3#six

Horse names not on the protected list may be used 5 years following the death of a horse that never raced or bred. Names of living horses may also be used if that horse is over 10 and has not raced or been bred in the last 5 years.

Norm
07-26-2008, 02:38 PM
Every story should have an ending. To my surprise and amazement, Lincoln Road won his race on Thursday. In his previous race he had been slow to start and slow to finish so I wrote him off as "no chance". But, the horse was not aware of my opinion and ran a nice stalking race and won with a rush in the stretch. Just to add insult to losses, he was co-favorite on the board, seems that everyone saw it coming but me :( . Oh well. ya can't win 'em all.