PDA

View Full Version : NYRA IS A DUMP run by thieves....

TheGhost
07-21-2008, 12:02 AM
Let me explain on the harsh title.

We get to Belmont and the grandstand is closed. They lost electricity and I think there was a fire. That's fine just close the place before anyone comes.

No here's NYRA's thinking....Everyone is packed in the clubhouse(No AC) and while standing on the rail to the track,Sam the bugler says how there's no AC in the jocks room and it's a "sauna in there since the early morning" and they are probably not going to run,and half the machines were'nt working at the time. They KNEW they were'nt going to run because all of the problems but they did'nt cancel because they wanted to have everyone to show up and still play the simulcast,buy expensive beers and food and pay for the BELMONT program. The back yard was full on top of that. Soon as they canceled the place was all over the costumer service entry yelling about getting their money back at least for the programs. I saw about half the people packing up and leaving the place as we did.

It's high high heat,you have a fire and/or transformer blow up,barely any electricity,the jockeys do not want to run,etc and you still do not cancel the races and charge people for Belmont programs etc. They should've just canceled. But why do that? Make your money NYRA on the people you sucked in to Belmont.

There was no security gaurds directing traffic on the outgoing parking lot traffic because they were called inside to handle the pissed off people.

NYRA shows again why they are the WORST. There was NO REASON to run. They had so many track problems,jockeys did'nt want to run,electricity,etc and they just made everyone still come in and pay for programs,drinks,food,simulcast,etc.

I am so glad that customer service office was PACKED and security had to come in and monitor it. They deserve it for what they did. They knew they were'nt going to run. Sam the Buglar said it before they even cancelled.

That's my say. Agree or not.

TheGhost
07-21-2008, 12:06 AM
By they way,what happened a couple days ago,a horse who banged out and knocked everyone off stride to win was kept up in first by the stewards BUT 2 days later was suspended for the ride???? Oh I forgot it's NYRA. I'm am glad the Post and Daily News reported that though. Love those papers because they knock the NY stewards everytime. That's my rant like it or not.

SmartyMarty
07-21-2008, 12:33 AM
They deserve it for what they did. They knew they were'nt going to run. Sam the Buglar said it before they even cancelled.

why snitch on Sam the Bugler?

I'm glad you had a miserable time..

TheGhost
07-21-2008, 12:50 AM
why snitch on Sam the Bugler?

I'm glad you had a miserable time..

Geez did I snitch??? No! Sam and OTHERS there were all talking to everyone at the rail. I can't comment on that???? They said they are not going to probably run. That's all. Alot of people at the customer service office were saying how they heard that they would'nt run and why did'nt cancel and why were they charged for programs etc. If you were there you would've seen what happened and the publics reaction. It's no ones fault by NYRA's. Sorry but when track people are talking about how there's no AC and the jocks are not going to run and Belmont has barely any electricity,it's their fault for messing up,no one elses.

"I'm glad you had a miserable time" Good one there. What miserable time? I was there for about a whole 20 min. HAHA "Im glad you had a miserable time." I'm guessing you work for NYRA.

What's the problem?? People were just asking what was going on before the first race and Sam along with OTHERS there just said,about the transformer and ther being no AC and the jocks not wanting to run. What's the problem? SAM,THE OUTRIDERS,ETC did nothing wrong,NYRA did. Sam and everyone else said this to about 40+ PEOPLE standing there. It was'nt inside info! Give it a rest. If there's a problem then have the post deleted.

PaceAdvantage
07-21-2008, 01:34 AM
Bash NYRA when they run, bash NYRA when they cancel, bash NYRA when they cancel early, bash NYRA when the cancel late....BASH BASH BASH BASH BASH BASH BASH BASH BASH....

One word: BORING.

Now, for the reasonable approach:

Obviously, NYRA was trying to get the program to run, trying to talk to the jocks, trying to see what they needed to do to try and get the program to go.

People showed up at the track, and obviously, they were going to do everything they could to try and get the program to go....one thing led to another, stuff broke down, and they couldn't go, so they had to cancel. End of story.

Every time in the past when NYRA has cancelled, I believe people in attendance get a rain check for admission and a program.

This is no different than in the winter time when Aqueduct runs one race and then cancels, or the jocks come out and determine it's too cold to race, or whatever....

How is it all that different this time around? Because it's summer?

TheGhost
07-21-2008, 01:36 AM
Maybe you got me wrong. I never said anything to anyone at the track about what was said to everyone on the apron asking the workers what was going on today. I just left and chalked it up to NYRA again. I'm just saying it here. It's a forum,right? It's about posting information and opinions,right? That's all I did. Hey if I am wrong and what NYRA did is fine,then hey I am wrong. I just think they were dead wrong and so did numerous people flooding the customer service office and the people flooding out into the parking lot at 1:30 cursing the track and whoever else. There were numerous security gaurds there for a reason. Just my opinion. Is Belmont,Saratoga,etc a DUMP. NO not really. Is NYRA a bunch of thieves?......I say yes. My opinion. How many times are they trashed in the NY papers?...I lost count.

To Paceadvantage: I am not a NYRA fan,sorry. There's a reason they are broke and having all these problems. It's 100 degrees,no power,grandstand is closed,no AC and they are trying to run for the public. Don't buy it.

PaceAdvantage
07-21-2008, 01:47 AM
The reason they are bashed in those particular papers is because the folks doing the bashing need something to write about....again....boring...

I'll ask again. How was Sunday's cancellation any different than what happens at Aqueduct in the winter?

Lots of times in the winter, people show up at the track expecting them to race, and for some reason, they don't race, or they run one or two races, and then cancel.

The fact that there was a fire at Belmont on Saturday and the fact that the grandstand was to be closed on Sunday was widely reported, was it not?

And for the record, politics and a fundamentally flawed forced operational system is why NYRA eventually went broke. Perhaps if NYRA wasn't forced by politics to spend all that money defending itself against an indictment conceived on the backs of a handful of crooked tellers, they could have updated whatever equipment needed to be updated at Belmont in order to prevent the transformer fire.

I leave this thread with the following thought for all those who think the NYRA is the actual thief in all of this....which of the following three is still standing, functioning as a viable, influential and functioning entity:

a) Eliot Spitzer
b) Joe Bruno
c) the NYRA

Who woulda thunk just a few short months ago that c) would be the correct answer! It's strange how things have a way of working themselves out towards the path of righteousness, is it not?

TheGhost
07-21-2008, 01:53 AM
Ok:
No.1 "What's the difference,they cancel at Aqueduct too.It's the same" WOW Ummm yup you are right Pace Aqueduct gets the SAME attendance at their track and packs their backyard with families and whoever else. All those people packing their coolers with hero sandwiches,beer,soda,etc at Aqueduct. Can't count the chairs and umbrellas brought into Aqueduct too. The same?? Can not believe you said that.

No 2. Widely reported? No sorry they never said hey Belmont fire,barely any electricty,no AC,no grandstand,machines down and we probably won't run.

You're right Pace,NYRA did nothing wrong over the last past decades. Of COURSE NYRA is still up and functioning. Do you know what kinda money the track brings into NY state.

PaceAdvantage
07-21-2008, 02:01 AM
Ok:
No.1 "What's the difference,they cancel at Aqueduct too.It's the same" WOW Ummm yup you are right Pace Aqueduct gets the SAME attendance at their track and packs their backyard with families and whoever else. All those people packing their coolers with hero sandwiches,beer,soda,etc at Aqueduct. Can't count the chairs and umbrellas brought into Aqueduct too. The same??Are you saying the folks who show up at Belmont are more worthy or should be treated differently than those who show up at Aqueduct in the winter, because that's what it sounds like you are saying. To that I say, huh?

No 2. Widely reported. No sorry they never said hey Belmont fire,barely any electricty,no AC,no grandstand,machines down and we might not run.They didn't? I read multiple stories about the Belmont fire Saturday and how the grandstand was to be closed on Sunday....

Hell, here are two stories that ran July 19 (Saturday) in your beloved NY POST and NY DAILY NEWS:

NY POST ran an ASSOCIATED PRESS story:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07192008/news/regionalnews/fire_at_belmont_park_120602.htm

NY DAILY NEWS also ran the AP story on Saturday:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2008/07/19/2008-07-19_fire_shuts_grandstand_at_belmont_park.html

TheGhost
07-21-2008, 02:07 AM
Yup you are right Pace. Where is it written there is no AC on the clubhouse floor. Machines are down and hey shocker were's the part about NO racing! Give me a break that place was a MESS today and they should've cancelled. Cover it up all you want Pace. NYRA is a mess and everyone knows it

TheGhost
07-21-2008, 02:20 AM
I guess Post and News bashing NYRA stewards for keeping up a horse who crashed and knocked horses off stride to win was bad. Just one question the Post,News and I have. Why did they suspend the jock for his ride on the same incident a couple days later:D

Hey Pace were you there today? Did you experience the clubhouse floor,the shut off machines,the no racing,or are you just going by what NYRA told the media on Sat.?

PaceAdvantage
07-21-2008, 02:22 AM
Yup you are right Pace. Where is it written there is no AC on the clubhouse floor. Machines are down and hey shocker were's the part about NO racing! Give me a break that place was a MESS today and they should've cancelled. Cover it up all you want Pace. NYRA is a mess and everyone knows itI can see you no longer want to be part of a legitimate discussion, what with your silly "cover it up all you want" rantings. I should have known better than to try and engage you in rational discourse.

samyn on the green
07-21-2008, 02:41 AM
NYRA runs the best racing in the country bar none. They run the best product and everyhorse player that does not flat out love them does not understand the game It was unfortunate what happened to the transformer in the basement but we can be grateful that a reputable organization like NYRA is in charge of the situation and will get it all straitened out. The best racing the the country will continue on Wednesday at Saratoga with hefty purse increases thanks to NYRA.

HolyBull29
07-21-2008, 02:50 AM
Bash NYRA when they run, bash NYRA when they cancel, bash NYRA when they cancel early, bash NYRA when the cancel late....BASH BASH BASH BASH BASH BASH BASH BASH BASH....

Obviously, NYRA was trying to get the program to run, trying to talk to the jocks, trying to see what they needed to do to try and get the program to go.

You say Nyra tried to get the program to run and the jocks to run. Why try and run horses when they knew there was a excessive heat advisory from the early morning? It was hot as hell out today. That's just mean to the horses. I did'nt even got today because it was too hot out. Bedtime,have a good one everybody. Good luck tomorrow.

PaceAdvantage
07-21-2008, 03:04 AM
You say Nyra tried to get the program to run and the jocks to run. Why try and run horses when they knew there was a excessive heat advisory from the early morning? It was hot as hell out today.I just pulled up the NOAA weather data for July 20...you mean to tell me they never ran horses in 87 degree heat before? Because that was the high temperature around Elmont NY, according to the National Weather Service....

http://www.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KJFK.html

07-21-2008, 07:39 AM
Ghost
--Sorry to see you get bashed like that. I guess when you sit in front of your monitor and push your buttons to make a bet it entitles you to do that.
--why should you complain---no water, no electricity, no air
--just think if the people bashing you, got all the way to Belmont and couldn't plug in their laptops !!

slewis
07-21-2008, 07:48 AM

People showed up at the track, and obviously, they were going to do everything they could to try and get the program to go....one thing led to another, stuff broke down, and they couldn't go, so they had to cancel. End of story.

Every time in the past when NYRA has cancelled, I believe people in attendance get a rain check for admission and a program.

This is no different than in the winter time when Aqueduct runs one race and then cancels, or the jocks come out and determine it's too cold to race, or whatever....

How is it all that different this time around? Because it's summer?

PA,
You are FLAT OUT WRONG on this one. It's very very different then in winter on several accounts.
The problem I have here (and why NYRA management continues to show their gross incompetance... is due to one key factor in which everything else snowballs::
THE PROBLEM OCCURED ON SATURDAY. THEY CANCELLED SUNDAY.
YOU HAVE 24 HOURS TO STRAIGHTEN THINGS OUT.
Now here's the "NEXT" key to this (poor management).
I know, as well as you know, NOT ALL PROBLEMS CAN BE RECTIFIED AS QUICKLY as we all would like. BUT HAVE AN F...'IN game plan!!!!!
The game plan should have started on Saturday, (Haywood, by the way, was walking around looking like a boy scout who's lost in the woods and whose compass is broken) where Duncker and Haywood have a quick meeting with the jocks (and essential staff) and ask what they absolutely need (for Sunday).
THEN, temporary AC's (portable units that stand alone in a room) should have been purchased (home depot is a few blocks East, Charlie) and even if they require LONG heavy duty extension cords to get that area in working condition, it should have been done SATURDAY EVENING AND SUNDAY morning.
IF BY SOME NATURE they (useless NYRA) could not come up with this ingenious plan I gave you (it's really not so ingenious, my 10 yr old nephew might handle this one)
then you make a calculated decision to cancel THE NIGHT BEFORE (Sat eve), so in the morning it could be posted online and on the news and you tell people SIMULCAST ONLY if you want to come out.. free admission, etc.
It was getaway day for Saratoga anyway and the place is in a bit of dis-array so with that and a weak-ish Sunday card they could have saved alot of aggrevation. But no, this is well beyond the scope of Duncker and Haywood.
Like I posted before, these clowns couldn't run a ferris wheel at a carnival.
So don't give us Bash Bash Bash bull shit. Theyt get bashed when they deserve it and in this case they absolutely deserve it.

slewis
07-21-2008, 07:58 AM
NYRA runs the best racing in the country bar none. They run the best product and everyhorse player that does not flat out love them does not understand the game It was unfortunate what happened to the transformer in the basement but we can be grateful that a reputable organization like NYRA is in charge of the situation and will get it all straitened out. The best racing the the country will continue on Wednesday at Saratoga with hefty purse increases thanks to NYRA.

Your correct. NYRA runs the best racing in the country.
It's because the of the horses, trainers, and quality of racing.
Racing will be good at Saratoga because of the horses and competition, not NYRA management.
Anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool.
Fool.

Javagold
07-21-2008, 08:27 AM
The reason they are bashed in those particular papers is because the folks doing the bashing need something to write about....again....boring...

I'll ask again. How was Sunday's cancellation any different than what happens at Aqueduct in the winter?

Lots of times in the winter, people show up at the track expecting them to race, and for some reason, they don't race, or they run one or two races, and then cancel.

The fact that there was a fire at Belmont on Saturday and the fact that the grandstand was to be closed on Sunday was widely reported, was it not?

And for the record, politics and a fundamentally flawed forced operational system is why NYRA eventually went broke. Perhaps if NYRA wasn't forced by politics to spend all that money defending itself against an indictment conceived on the backs of a handful of crooked tellers, they could have updated whatever equipment needed to be updated at Belmont in order to prevent the transformer fire.

I leave this thread with the following thought for all those who think the NYRA is the actual thief in all of this....which of the following three is still standing, functioning as a viable, influential and functioning entity:

a) Eliot Spitzer
b) Joe Bruno
c) the NYRA

Who woulda thunk just a few short months ago that c) would be the correct answer! It's strange how things have a way of working themselves out towards the path of righteousness, is it not?

boy this guy sure has NYRAs back every time no matter what :rolleyes:

ghostyapper
07-21-2008, 09:45 AM
Perhaps if NYRA wasn't forced by politics to spend all that money defending itself against an indictment conceived on the backs of a handful of crooked tellers, they could have updated whatever equipment needed to be updated at Belmont in order to prevent the transformer fire.

The single funniest comment I have read on this forum yet. Pace do you believe in the tooth fairy as well?

Perhaps if they hadn't spent all that money in defense they wouldn't have run out of programs by the 5th race on the day curlin ran as well right?

samyn on the green
07-21-2008, 10:43 AM
Your correct. NYRA runs the best racing in the country.
It's because the of the horses, trainers, and quality of racing.
Racing will be good at Saratoga because of the horses and competition, not NYRA management.
Anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool.
Fool.So if NYRA management swindled the revenue and offered mini-purses like Finger Lakes would Saratoga still be great? Sartoga is great because of NYRA. It could have ended up like other tracks in the area like Rockingham or Finger Lakes.

PaceAdvantage
07-21-2008, 01:09 PM
boy this guy sure has NYRAs back every time no matter what :rolleyes:Somebody needs to be the voice of reason.

Besides, following the crowd is always the surest way to the poor house. I like to cut a different path from everyone else.

PaceAdvantage
07-21-2008, 01:09 PM
The single funniest comment I have read on this forum yet. Pace do you believe in the tooth fairy as well?No, do you?

PaceAdvantage
07-21-2008, 01:12 PM
THE PROBLEM OCCURED ON SATURDAY. THEY CANCELLED SUNDAY.
YOU HAVE 24 HOURS TO STRAIGHTEN THINGS OUT. If the problem occured on Saturday, how did they race Saturday. The transformer blew a few hours before post time on Saturday.

What changed between Saturday and Sunday? Did the jockeys have AC on Saturday? It was hot as hell on Saturday as well....

Seriously, I wasn't there this past weekend, so I only know what I read in the papers. Please enlighten me as to what changed between Saturday and Sunday that forced them to cancel on Sunday, but allowed them to race on Saturday.

titans1127
07-21-2008, 01:51 PM
According to the Daily News, even though the air conditioner wasn't working Saturday the cool air from the A/C before it stopped working stuck around long enough that it was comfortable enough for them to deal with. Of course it eventually wore off and since it was so muggy Saturday night into Sunday it got too hot with the Daily News stating a thermometer reading 85 degrees.

OTM Al
07-21-2008, 01:59 PM
The recession (or downturn or whatever is going on) is NYRA's fault, war in Iraq, NYRA, WTC, NYRA. No one would have ever died on this planet if it weren't for NYRA.

The most unfortunate thing about Sunday was that they were having a special day for their rewards players that day and weren't able to do it. This is of course on top of the fact that they built a special lounge for anyone in the program and then weren't allowed to use it, nor were the allowed to give free passes to those customers. It will be rescheduled BTW.

Most of the people that complain have no idea what goes into the business side of running a track and all the different groups and unions that must be dealt with. Had there been any indication Saturday that the jockeys were going to do what they did, management would have either cancelled or taken measures to slap a bandaid on the problem. They nearly cancelled anyway, but went ahead. They were doomed to catch it anyway no matter what they did. Everything was a go until the jocks walked out just before the program was to start. You can't tell me they weren't down there for some time before and could have spoken up earlier when something could have been done. Jocks don't want to ride, it ain't going to happen.

Tom
07-21-2008, 02:01 PM
Saratoga is a great place because it is NOT NYRA...it is a summer picnic in the park, not the Mourge that is Aquedrab, or the suspected fire-trap hot house that is Belmont.

Given FL, AU, or Bel, I would tahke FL everytime. No brainer. One of them most comfortable, inteligently laid out tracks I have been to. I see no edge to NTYRA in horse flesh - cheap is cheap and NYRA has a lot more crap races than good races, over the course of the year.

pat
07-21-2008, 02:17 PM
Take my word for it NYRA sucks I know this first hand not from behind a pc or reading it in newspapers like i said i attend live racing daily during the aqu meet manhattan terrace everyday and during the Belmont meet Belmont Cafe Table # 46 everyday so if anyone would want to see the shit that goes on pass by and i will eplain the shit they pull and take you on a tour of a place that hasnt been cleaned since 2007 meet.

PaceAdvantage
07-21-2008, 02:22 PM
Take my word for it NYRA sucks I know this first hand not from behind a pc or reading it in newspapers like i said i attend live racing daily during the aqu meet manhattan terrace everyday and during the Belmont meet Belmont Cafe Table # 46 everyday so if anyone would want to see the shit that goes on pass by and i will eplain the shit they pull and take you on a tour of a place that hasnt been cleaned since 2007 meet.Get yourself a camera and post some pix. It would make a nice expose, don't you think?

onefast99
07-21-2008, 02:31 PM
Here is my take of NYRA from an owners viewpoint, the horsemans book is one of the best in the country(Monmouth is the best)the purses in the winter at Aqu are tops in the country, we have run in a lot of the 50k and 75k optional claiming races where the purse is 52k or higher. Yes there is always a horse for the course who may win the race but 10-12k for second as opposed to 10-12k for first at some of the Florida tracks makes it an easy decision to stay up here with my non-Florida breds. NYRA went thru a lame duck period until it was rescued, during that time the Aqueduct facility suffered and so did Belmont. Now NYRA will put money back into those facilities and we will see a difference this winter in NY. Just think large purses in New York and they dont have a casino attached to anyone of the thoroughbred tracks! I guess they must be doing something right.

onefast99
07-21-2008, 02:33 PM
Take my word for it NYRA sucks I know this first hand not from behind a pc or reading it in newspapers like i said i attend live racing daily during the aqu meet manhattan terrace everyday and during the Belmont meet Belmont Cafe Table # 46 everyday so if anyone would want to see the shit that goes on pass by and i will eplain the shit they pull and take you on a tour of a place that hasnt been cleaned since 2007 meet.
Give NYRA a few months to clean up the problems, they arent that big.

pat
07-21-2008, 02:40 PM
Guys believe me A few months ago NYRA had me fooled too .
But once that got the okay for 25 more yrs they stopped doing anything and thats when i realized that they were pissing on my back and telling me I was sweating. I hope Im wrong and would be the first one to admit it but at this point i dont think so

samyn on the green
07-21-2008, 02:51 PM
Guys believe me A few months ago NYRA had me fooled too .
But once that got the okay for 25 more yrs they stopped doing anything and thats when i realized that they were pissing on my back and telling me I was sweating. I hope Im wrong and would be the first one to admit it but at this point i dont think soStopped doing anything? You have to crawl out of the disgruntled malcontent loser mode and pay attention to what is happening here. NYRA just powered route allowance purses into the stratosphere over 100K. NYRA rewards bettors are getting comped food in the restaurant, new seating options, they have done many new things to improve the experience. They would have had a nice lounge for NYRA rewards members but I guess OTB did not want people to go to the track so OTB forced the NYRWB to force NYRA to close the lounge after they invested hundreds of thousands of dollars building it.

PaceAdvantage
07-21-2008, 02:53 PM
God do I love threads like this one! It makes my job SO MUCH easier! Some of you will get what I mean by this....

pat
07-21-2008, 02:57 PM
Hey samyn
there isnt 1 nyra rewards member being comped any food because I know most of the rewards players on track so tell me who gets the rewards and in what restaurant are they getting comped

titans1127
07-21-2008, 02:58 PM
Here is the NY Daily News blurb about yesterday that I scanned:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more_sports/2008/07/20/2008-07-20_the_day_at_the_races.html

pat
07-21-2008, 03:08 PM
Stopped doing anything? You have to crawl out of the disgruntled malcontent loser mode and pay attention to what is happening here. NYRA just powered route allowance purses into the stratosphere over 100K. NYRA rewards bettors are getting comped food in the restaurant, new seating options, they have done many new things to improve the experience. They would have had a nice lounge for NYRA rewards members but I guess OTB did not want people to go to the track so OTB forced the NYRWB to force NYRA to close the lounge after they invested hundreds of thousands of dollars building it.
Its only a couple of formica benches and some plasma TVS so dont make statements on what people are telling you without seeing it for yourself and again you have an open invitation to see me whenever you like and i will show you the room and you decide for yourself

samyn on the green
07-21-2008, 03:21 PM
Its only a couple of formica benches and some plasma TVS so dont make statements on what people are telling you without seeing it for yourself and again you have an open invitation to see me whenever you like and i will show you the room and you decide for yourselfNobody told me anything, I gambled and made up a number on the construction costs, with all the unions it is expensive to do anything around here. My point is NYRA does things and the state stops them from improving the product. The free lunch was on Breeders Cup day when everyone was invited into the Garden Spot terrace.

Regarding the fire, it was an unfortunate disaster. Why are people bashing them after a disaster. What if your mom lit on the kitchen on fire while she was making your favorite dinner? Would you kick her in the mouth and force her cook you something anyway around the flaming carcass of a kitchen. After an unfortunate disaster people are kicking NYRA in the mouth for not cooking up everyones favorite gambling action on Sunday. It is nasty and becoming of a malcontent loser to behave this way. There will be plenty of hearty meals over the next six weeks, mama NYRA is not going to let anybody go hungry, just let mama clean up her kitchen and the action will roll.

Tom
07-21-2008, 03:32 PM
samyn...I read in the Post that is was one of several fires recently?
What's going on with the fires?

I don't think it was the case of just cancelling, but the timing. What happened from being able to race Saturday to not on Sunday? Don't thinks tend to get better the next day? People made plans, spent money, made trips that cost money ( how much is gas in NYC?). What happened between 8 am and noon?

samyn on the green
07-21-2008, 03:44 PM
samyn...I read in the Post that is was one of several fires recently?
What's going on with the fires?

Pyro just shipped in a few weeks ago, you gotta keep your eyes and that charge at all times.

It is a big inconvenience when you drive down and they don't run. It happened to me and got stuck betting Calder and Churchill some day in November when it was windy and frigid and wet Ever run some type of big operation that depends of sketchy stuff like the weather to complete the job? Sometimes there are vague questions with huge implications. Maybe they thought they were 90% sure that they could have fixed the problem by noon but it did not work out? What if they canceled the transformer was fixed and the facility was colder witches teat? These are challenging problems that are much easy to solve after the fact as a redboarder.

PaceAdvantage
07-21-2008, 03:46 PM
Well, I was there on Belmont Stakes day, and the following from that above linked Daily News piece isn't entirely true:

This lack of judgment on top of a disastrous Belmont Stakes (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Belmont+Stakes), which saw the aging facility not able to provide the huge crowd with enough water pressure, causing the bathrooms throughout to fail. Thankfully, the transformer fire didn't happen on Belmont Stakes Day. I was parked on the third floor, section S, and I had functioning bathrooms all day long. Not once did I miss going to the bathroom (and believe me, I was drinking plenty that day).

So, to say that bathrooms throughout failed is not accurate.

OTM Al
07-21-2008, 03:49 PM
There was a transformer that blew about a week or so ago also. The parts to repair it actually are supposed to be there today, so they should have everything back up for the Saratoga simulcasting (which is likely a mistake financially to do at Belmont and Aqueduct, but you know they hate the fans so much....). They have engineers in the plant trying to figure out why both went so closely together like that.

People make plans and spend money when a ball game gets rained out too but nobody goes blaming the ball club for the rain. It is a dungeon down in the jocks room and was actually pretty warm even with the AC when I was once down there, so I imagine it was really sticky down there, but as I said, they could have said something before they just decided not to ride so something could have been announced and/or done about it. At a couple minutes to 1, there's no one that can get something done at that point.

slewis
07-21-2008, 03:51 PM
If the problem occured on Saturday, how did they race Saturday. The transformer blew a few hours before post time on Saturday.

What changed between Saturday and Sunday? Did the jockeys have AC on Saturday? It was hot as hell on Saturday as well....

Seriously, I wasn't there this past weekend, so I only know what I read in the papers. Please enlighten me as to what changed between Saturday and Sunday that forced them to cancel on Sunday, but allowed them to race on Saturday.

I was there.
There were complaints by the days end on Saturday (the jocks room is in the basement and the heat and humidity will have a greater impact on upper floors rather then sub-ground floors (go into your basement in summer, then take a trip to your attic and let me know if you feel a difference).
You know what PA, excuses are bull shit, do EVERYTHING you can to get it DONE, go buy portable fans and AC's, then get a NYRA TV crew downstairs, and if the jocks refuse, embarrass them.... but show the fans you did what you could. YOU KNOW WHAT?....THEY DID ZIP.
Do you think they showed good management skills here?
Do you think they planned for Sunday's possible scenarios?
They dropped the ball again, and again, and it will continue to happen.
There's NO accountability and NO proper oversight.
They do what they want with no one in this joke of a state to force their hand.
By the way.. I started posting on this site, giving FACTUAL accounts of their mis-management showing how dismal they really are.
I can be fair and impartial. I think this winter they made solid decisions when it came to cancelations (early ones) and were only burned once.
No one is perfect and I can cut slack too. It seemed 6 months ago that many people were in NYRA's corner and were blasting me for my posts.
I think you can see... as I predicted, this is swinging the other way and people are starting to see how weak a franchisee they are.

OTM Al
07-21-2008, 03:56 PM
Well, I was there on Belmont Stakes day, and the following from that above linked Daily News piece isn't entirely true:

I was parked on the third floor, section S, and I had functioning bathrooms all day long. Not once did I miss going to the bathroom (and believe me, I was drinking plenty that day).

Hey PA, wish I would have known you were there that day. Would have said hey and could have got you in for a little bit backstage so to speak. The bathrooms did fail almost throughout, but pressure was back within an hour or so and I think all was working fine by around the 5th race. The pressure loss did not happen at the track as the Daily News kept trying to say, it happened en route and they immediately called the suppliers (remember they straddle both Queens and Nassau, so there are, I think feeds from both). It just took them that long to get pressure fully back.

PaceAdvantage
07-21-2008, 03:58 PM
Slewis,

You write as if the NYRA is ENJOYING the publicity of recent events and that they actually TRY to piss people off....interesting way of doing business, don't you think?

NYRA is getting slammed here, in the press, everywhere....do you think that is positive for them?

ONE DAY of racing was lost. How many days of racing were lost at Santa Anita over their idiotic rush to artificial surfaces? Jeez man, put it INTO PERSPECTIVE here, will you?

And I know where the jocks room is at Belmont, I've been in the basement, I've been almost everywhere you can be at Belmont, Aqueduct and Saratoga, so I know how hot it can get down there....

classhandicapper
07-21-2008, 04:40 PM

a) Eliot Spitzer
b) Joe Bruno
c) the NYRA

When I read this and a few of your other comments in this thread it reminded me of how I feel after reading one of Berman's articles defending Stephon Marbury. After awhile, IMO you just have to stop making excuses and realize what you are dealing with.

PaceAdvantage
07-21-2008, 05:13 PM
When I read this and a few of your other comments in this thread it reminded me of how I feel after reading one of Berman's articles defending Stephon Marbury. After awhile, IMO you just have to stop making excuses and realize what you are dealing with.I know exactly what I'm dealing with. Another member of the racing industry. No better or worse than any other entity out there. They all have their warts, believe me...

To have multiple threads containing multiple, multiple posts all bashing NYRA over one cancelled day is absurd, in my opinion, when there are much more important issues to be complaining about regarding this industry.

If everyone were praising NYRA, I would probably be the first to step up and find something to complain about...that's me....I always tend to play devil's advocate.

I was that way when everyone was bashing Lukas, I was that way when everyone was bashing Dutrow, and now I'm that way when everyone is bashing NYRA.

PaceAdvantage.com is about to celebrate its ninth birthday. If you aren't used to me by now, you never will be....

slewis
07-21-2008, 06:11 PM
Slewis,

You write as if the NYRA is ENJOYING the publicity of recent events and that they actually TRY to piss people off....interesting way of doing business, don't you think?

NYRA is getting slammed here, in the press, everywhere....do you think that is positive for them?

ONE DAY of racing was lost. How many days of racing were lost at Santa Anita over their idiotic rush to artificial surfaces? Jeez man, put it INTO PERSPECTIVE here, will you?

And I know where the jocks room is at Belmont, I've been in the basement, I've been almost everywhere you can be at Belmont, Aqueduct and Saratoga, so I know how hot it can get down there....

Ok, I'll behave.. until opening day at Saratoga.
The yearly joke amongst the regulars who watch races on the ground floor in the clubhouse at the Spa is "How many days into the meet will it take to get the main projection TV working"????
You know, the one they always pack up and take away 2 days PRIOR to closing day every year.
Usually the unit isn't there till day 2... then it's not wired till 3.. and not calibrated till race 3 or 4 first Saturday.
I've got several bets going.... just don't tell NYRA management.. they'll have me arrested for bookmaking!!:jump:

classhandicapper
07-21-2008, 06:15 PM
If everyone were praising NYRA, I would probably be the first to step up and find something to complain about...that's me....I always tend to play devil's advocate.

PaceAdvantage.com is about to celebrate its ninth birthday. If you aren't used to me by now, you never will be....

I'm the same way. ;)

The problem is that NYRA isn't better than any of the other racing entities. The standard is so darn low at this point it gets painful after awhile. I didn't have any problem with yesterday's cancellation. But in light of the fact that my girlfriend recently had a horrible time Belmont day because there was no water, the women's bathrooms were out of order, women were waiting on line for 30 minutes and no one even told them what was going on etc... it gets the point where you just throw up your hands and say "I surrender". There needs to be contingency plans for these types of things so cards aren't cancelled so frequently and the racetrack experience is at least tolerable for potential new fans.

Maybe things will get better after all the finances are in order, but I doubt it. I think we really need an entirely different business model, but that's hopeless as long as politicans are involved in any way, shape, or form.

I'm almost convinced this is the dumbest industry in the United States. As a billiard player, I used to think men's pool was worse, but I'm not so sure any more. It's a close call.

OTM Al
07-21-2008, 06:27 PM
I'm almost convinced this is the dumbest industry in the United States. As a billiard player, I used to think men's pool was worse, but I'm not so sure any more. It's a close call.

Come to think of it you aren't too far off on this. The APA 8-ball League in Manhattan can be a real disaster at times. If it wasn't for friends on my and other teams (and of course the cocktails) I probably would have given that up long ago. Do you play in a league then?

PaceAdvantage
07-21-2008, 06:33 PM
You never seem to hear a bad word about Tampa Bay these days, or Oaklawn for that matter (can Bruddah give me a Hallelujah and an Amen!!!!)

It's easy to come up with all the right answers after the fact. Some in this thread asked "Why didn't NYRA management just hop in a van, go to Home Depot, and purchase a portable air conditioner for the jocks room?"

OK. Last I checked, these things cost at least $500 for the size you would need to cool the jocks room, and I am guessing you're going to need more than one, because I believe the jockey's room is fairly large. Hell, one of those portable ACs will barely cool a decent sized bedroom if I'm not mistaken.

So now we want this organization that has recently had its balls busted over the way it ran its finances to go out, spur of the moment, and drop a couple of grand on portable air conditioners, just so that they can cool the jocks room for one freakin' day?

I have to agree that the better route to take was to beg and plead with the jockeys to run....that didn't pan out, and unfortunately, the card was lost.

Storm Cadet
07-21-2008, 06:44 PM
I might as well join this fray.

I've had over 30 years experience as a sports administrator who has had to deal with all kinds of weather storms, building emergencies, 911 tragedy, airplane travel screwups by visiting team, heat and humidity, cold, buiding fires and electrical power outages also.

When an emergency or UNEXPECTED occurrence happens, an emergency team is quickly put into motion with a meeting of all parties involved. My area, as many know is medicine and emergency care of athletes and spectators for the events. Others involved would be ticket operations, public safety or security, food concessions, event facility management, business office and others. You meet in a room and the emergency is discussed and alternate viable plans are discussed in each department to see if the planned event can be pulled off or should be cancelled. BUT a plan with a time cutoff is made IN ADVANCE of fans arrival, many times HOURS before the start time. Contacts are made with all the local media outlets to inform the public by internet, radio and TV of cancellation as soon as the decision to pull the plug on an event.

From an outsider looking at what happened I would ask:
1. Did all the groups in event management meet AFTER the race card Saturday to discuss the viability of racing Sunday SAFELY for all involved. Does NYRA have a emergency group already set up or do they wing it as an event emergency occurs? Things discussed should have been to set up a definite time hours PRIOR to 1st post IF racing was to be canceled. Knowing there was an inadequate amount of power in the facility Saturday might, were any jockeys CONSULTED then about a possible shut down in case power could not be restored and what their feelings were OR did they wait till the jockeys came to work Sunday AM? Did they even look into the possibility of renting a generator for the jockey room and a larger emergency one for the tote system? And if they knew ahead of time that these were not available, pull the plug earlier...NEVER wait till the customers are already there and paying. And IF there is no other way, then have a plan of reimbursement, coupons whatever it takes to please the patrons READY IN ADVANCE and make sure the track announcer makes it clear to EVERYBODY how and where to get refunds. Make sure the customer service reps KNOW what the hell in going on and are ready to make amends to it's valued customers.

Don't you think that the Yankees and Mets have all this set up IN ADVANCE in case of rain, snow and power problems? Just shows everybody that administration in this area is a weakness in NYRA, but it can be fixed if they want to or if they think they have too!

I know MOST of the higher up administrators were either in route or already in Saratoga Sunday race day.

I have dealt with blizzards in NYC where the NYC mayors office shut down the city for a snow emergency, (14 inches of snow) but we planned with MSG and the Big East Conference as soon as we got the weather report the night before into ways to pull off the championship finals on NATIONAL TV OR alert the public of the cancellation/postponement if the storm was worse than expected with a definite drop time for all.

I worked for 10 years for the US Olympic Committee as a sports administrator/athletic trainer. When I left for the '92 games in Barcelona we had a notebook 6 inches thick with emergency planning covering everything from the team charter plane going down to a death of an athlete or parents at the Games and everything in between. You hope you think of all the scenarios and are prepared. That's OUR JOB!

We dealt with 911 and all those sports teams who COULD NOT arrive due to all the flight cancellations and we could not send on our part.

We have over the years met with the city of NY, State of NY, Federal groups on planning for threats of terrorism, Asian Bird flu pandemic planning, and others.

The whole NYRA thing just makes me think that they REACT instead of being proactive with a game plan covering emergencies.

Sorry for the rant, but PA...on this one NYRA was not fully prepared as maybe they should have been in all areas. Nobody is perfect, but you keep trying. As Bobby Kennedy said in 1968, "Most people see things as they are and ask why, I see things as they can be and ask why not? Let's hope NYRA LEARNS from this and looks to improve their operations for all horsemen, jockeys, trainers and customers!

Bruddah
07-21-2008, 06:44 PM
Because I am anti NYRA and haven't played their meets for over three years. I dearly loved to play the Saratoga meet. Annually the best meet of the year in horse racing. (IMHO). And, I don't think missing 1day at the end of the meet, for reasons uncontollable, should be blamed entirely on the NYRA.

However, what concerns me in the entirety of horse racing, is the lack of concern for the paying customer and doing things to retain their business. The Casinos go out of their way to please the customer. In a case like this, at any Casino and the heads would roll and jobs would be lost. Casinos are the tracks main competitors for the gambling dollar. And race tracks want to be Racinos? Give me a break!

Horse racing is quickly losing their die hard fans. They will never entice new gambling fans to the Racinos with the present management attitudes exhibited throughout the Industry. Folks, this is Business 101 and these idiots don't get it, nor do they care. :ThmbDown: :bang:

foregoforever
07-21-2008, 07:29 PM
OK. Last I checked, these things cost at least $500 for the size you would need to cool the jocks room, and I am guessing you're going to need more than one, because I believe the jockey's room is fairly large. Hell, one of those portable ACs will barely cool a decent sized bedroom if I'm not mistaken.

So now we want this organization that has recently had its balls busted over the way it ran its finances to go out, spur of the moment, and drop a couple of grand on portable air conditioners, just so that they can cool the jocks room for one freakin' day?

I've improvised a cooling system for computer server rooms on a number of occasions. It could have been done for less than $1K. If you can knock the humidity out and throw in a couple of large fans, you can make it reasonably comfortable. I doubt that the jocks were insisting on 68 degrees.

Now compare that $1K with all the money that everyone else lost. If I'd chosen that weekend to visit NY for racing, I'd have invested well over half that amount alone. I'm sure there were at least a few out-of-towners there. Then there are the horsemen who had invested a lot of time and money in getting the horses ready. Lasix and cobra venom ain't cheap. And a few may have shipped horses in. Purses weren't paid out, beer wasn't sold, takeout wasn't extracted. Add up all those costs and $1K is a drop in the bucket.

Sure, NYRA gets its share of cheap shots, but they ought to be embarrassed by this fiasco. Any competent facility manager should have anticipated this problem, taken steps to correct it and, if all else fails, issued the cancellation notice early enough to save people the trip.

I read NYRA's press statement on their web site. The words "sorry", "apologize", and "regret" aren't in it. Even if this had been 100% unavoidable, I'd expect at least one of those words to be in it somewhere.

Zman179
07-21-2008, 07:39 PM
The bottom line PA is that NYRA seriously dropped the ball on this one. The grandstand was completely in the dark, the clubhouse was so hot most of the patrons' shirts were sweat stained (mine as well,) the majority of the concession stands were shut down due to the lack of power, the jockeys' room was hovering above 90°, the totalizator computers weren't functioning at all, and they cancel the races at 1:30 in the afternoon? C'mon.

And to make things worse, Charlie Heyward blames the jockeys for the cancellation. Meanwhile, even if the jockeys had decided to run, NYRA still would have cancelled the card due to the tote system being down, yet the prez hands down the blame to save face. I'm no regular NYRA basher, but this was total bulls*it.

SaratogaSteve
07-21-2008, 07:47 PM
What I don't understand is that if a)this transformer failed for the second time in a week b) the weather is going to brutal again c)it's the last day of the meet , why they wouldn't cancel. Transformers typically aren't fixed within less than 24 hours, and especially since the fix failed again... It seems like they tried to squeeze some more juice out of a orange that was dry...

...this is bringing me back to the day at Saratoga the tote system locked up for the day...in that case, NYRA's plan of "no news must be good news" was flat out wrong... :lol:

The Hawk
07-21-2008, 07:55 PM

I was parked on the third floor, section S, and I had functioning bathrooms all day long. Not once did I miss going to the bathroom (and believe me, I was drinking plenty that day).

Are things SO screwed up there that the fact there were a few bathrooms that actually were functional on their biggest day worked passes as a success story?

I don't bet there, as I, like many others, it seems, realized NYRA doesn't give a rat's ass about horseplayers, and the racing is incredibly overrated. But I can see PA's side. What were they supposed to do when the computers crashed and the jocks refused to ride? They could have cancelled earlier but earlier in the day they had no idea these scenarios would unfold. Plus, the timing was such that many of the decision makers were in Saratoga. Bitch about the deterioration of the facility all you want (it's a glorified version of the Port Authority Bus Terminal, in my opinion) but the decision to cancel was the only one they could make.

Storm Cadet
07-21-2008, 08:06 PM
Are things SO screwed up there that the fact there were a few bathrooms that actually were functional on their biggest day worked passes as a success story?

I don't bet there, as I, like many others, it seems, realized NYRA doesn't give a rat's ass about horseplayers, and the racing is incredibly overrated. But I can see PA's side. What were they supposed to do when the computers crashed and the jocks refused to ride? They could have cancelled earlier but earlier in the day they had no idea these scenarios would unfold. Plus, the timing was such that many of the decision makers were in Saratoga. Bitch about the deterioration of the facility all you want (it's a glorified version of the Port Authority Bus Terminal, in my opinion) but the decision to cancel was the only one they could make.

Did you read my post above? YOU ANTICIPATE AND PLAN! What do you mean they had no idea these scenarios would unfold? That's because they were ASLEEP at the wheel my friend. You get your ass to the track in the early AM and EVALUATE the situations that could close racing and ACT. Turn on the tote system at 8AM...check the frigging jockey room early. The jocks didn't suddenly arrive at 1 PM, they are there by 10:30 in the room. Monitor the situation from the previous day and continue to monitor and ACT EARLY with a plan.

THE WORST THING THEY DID WAS WAIT TILL PATRONS ARRIVED. :ThmbDown:

Storm Cadet
07-21-2008, 08:20 PM
Interesting side note: Try and find the sports administrative backgrounds of ANY of the NYRA VP's in charge of events and planning in any of NYRA's publications and /or web site. NOTHING. Makes you wonder what exactly is the background of these individuals who are running NYRA...

"Thanks to the leadership of our Board of Trustees, notably chairman C. Steven Duncker and vice-chairmen Michael J. Del Giudice, James P. Heffernan, and Stuart Subotnick, we can now focus on improving our business operations to ensure that Aqueduct, Belmont Park, and Saratoga take their place among the premier sports and entertainment venues in the world." They have a long way to go if they think they have a premier sports and entertainment venue compared to other sports.

Charles E. Hayward, President and Chief Executive Officer
Harold G. Handel, Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer
Patrick L. Kehoe, Senior Vice President and General Counsel
Gavin Landry, Senior Vice President of Sales and Market Development
John Ryan, Senior Vice President and Chief Administrative Officer
David A. Smukler, Senior Vice President of Human Resources and Labor Relations
Patrick Mahony, Vice President of Pari-Mutuel Operations
Irene M. Posio, Vice President and Chief Financial Officer
Tom Thill, Vice President and Chief Information Officer
OPERATING OFFICIALS
Kenneth T. Cook, Vice President, Security
John Tierney, Vice President, Facilities
Elizabeth Bracken, Vice President and Director of Simulcast Sales and Content Acquisition
Jerry A. Davis, Jr., Director of Admissions & Parking
Neema Ghazi, Director of Marketing
John Lee, Director of Communications and Media Relations
Robert Palumbo, OTB Relations
John Passero, Director of Racing Surfaces
Rick Wickman, Stable/Security Supervisor

WHO ARE THESE GUYS??? Anybody know their backgrounds.

PaceAdvantage
07-21-2008, 08:36 PM
Are things SO screwed up there that the fact there were a few bathrooms that actually were functional on their biggest day worked passes as a success story?Absolutely not. Then again, this is the first time this kind of problem has ever happened....I've been to every Belmont Stakes since Risen Star, and I don't recall ever witnessing or hearing about a lack of water pressure before this year.

Obviously, the plant is showing its age. Shit happens. Time to spend some money...oh yeah, that's right, they still haven't officially climbed out of bankruptcy yet....:rolleyes:

PaceAdvantage
07-21-2008, 08:39 PM
Hey, just to satisfy my own curiosity, did NYRA distribute rain checks for admission and programs as is their usual policy when they cancel?

cj
07-21-2008, 08:43 PM
Hey, just to satisfy my own curiosity, did NYRA distribute rain checks for admission and programs as is their usual policy when they cancel?

Rain checks for programs is pretty lame.

PaceAdvantage
07-21-2008, 08:45 PM
Oh, and one more thing. They did race on Saturday, AFTER the transformer fire.

Therefore, it's logical to think those in charge figured if they could race on Saturday, they could race on Sunday. That's why they didn't cancel early.

All of the press releases stated that the grandstand WOULD BE CLOSED on Sunday because of the fire. That was a known fact going into Saturday night.

Obviously, the situation was DETEREORATING by the minute as they got closer to post time. Again, let's remember that NYRA was taking wagers on the first race, as far as I could tell...when and how the tote broke, I don't know, maybe someone else can fill that part in....post time was moved up at one point to 1:10 before they finally decided to call it quits.

By all accounts, it was a very fluid and dynamic situation unfolding as post time approached, and it would be nice to get an accurate description of exactly what was going on behind the scenes. (Perhaps Tom can post a classic Three Stooges clip as one example).

PaceAdvantage
07-21-2008, 08:46 PM
Rain checks for programs is pretty lame.Isn't that the SOP when a cancellation occurs? Those in attendance get a voucher for free admission and free program?

cj
07-21-2008, 08:48 PM
Isn't that the SOP when a cancellation occurs? Those in attendance get a voucher for free admission and free program?

I guess, but it doesn't make the policy a good one. Does taking someone's $5 (a guess) for a program and admission, then "holding" it for them for the next six weeks while racing is far away, really seem fair? Just give the money back, geez.

In this case, I thought I read admission was free, but in general, the policy should be changed.

Yorker
07-21-2008, 08:54 PM
Interesting side note: Try and find the sports administrative backgrounds of ANY of the NYRA VP's in charge of events and planning in any of NYRA's publications and /or web site. NOTHING. Makes you wonder what exactly is the background of these individuals who are running NYRA...

Hal Handel has been involved in mid-atlantic racing for over 20 years. Before joining NYRA last year he was CEO of Philly Park, and before that he was director of racing at Monmouth and Meadowlands for NJSEA.

The Hawk
07-21-2008, 09:04 PM
Did you read my post above? YOU ANTICIPATE AND PLAN! What do you mean they had no idea these scenarios would unfold? That's because they were ASLEEP at the wheel my friend. You get your ass to the track in the early AM and EVALUATE the situations that could close racing and ACT. Turn on the tote system at 8AM...check the frigging jockey room early. The jocks didn't suddenly arrive at 1 PM, they are there by 10:30 in the room. Monitor the situation from the previous day and continue to monitor and ACT EARLY with a plan.

THE WORST THING THEY DID WAS WAIT TILL PATRONS ARRIVED. :ThmbDown:

If we had all the details and this is what actually happened, you'd be right. But who knows exactly when the jocks informed the authorities they couldn't ride? Who knows if they thought they could have it fixed at 10:30, only to find they couldn't? From what I read, it was a couple of jocks who made the most noise, not the whole room. As far as the tote goes, who knows if they didn't realize certain systems were down until after they communicated with other tracks?

The other thing that you have to consider is who you're talking about when you say "they". I do agree that they were asleep at the switch, so to speak, in that most of the top officials were at Saratoga, but to me that's unavoidable, and bad timing for them. It's a good guess that the guys that were left behind, so to speak, aren't the type empowered with much decision making. It sucks, and they suck when it comes to this kind of stuff (which is why I'm a little surprised at the outrage, given NYRA's history) but you have to admit at least some of it was a matter of bad luck/timing, or that the jocks were really looking forward to riding on what may have been the most brutal day of the year in terms of the heat.

Cratos
07-21-2008, 09:13 PM
The comments on this thread concerning the AC problem in the jockey quarters borders on the ridiculous to the ludicrous and everywhere in between.

Without knowing the facts the accusations are that NYRA doesn’t give a damn about the racing fan. I will readily admit that NYRA like the majority of the racing venues in North America doesn’t do enough for the racing fan. However in many cases it is the authorizing jurisdictions that is mainly at fault.

There isn’t a racing meet in North America that tops Saratoga and Belmont collectively. I find it odd that no one brought up the fiascos at Santa Anita, Keeneland, and Del Mar when they changed their track surfaces to polytrack.

One poster spoke of the plumbing going out at Belmont and the bathrooms couldn’t be used. Well I have had that happened to me both at Pimilco and Churchill Downs and at Pimlico it happened on Preakness Day 1998 and I said then I would never return to that racetrack again and never have since.

I have been to every major racetrack in North America more than once and I will take Saratoga and Belmont over any of them and this is covering a period of 41 years.

Lastly, Belmont does upward toward $15.5M in handle on Sundays when the on track, the ITW, and the ISW mutuel pools are combined and this yields nearly $3M in gross take revenue to be divided amongst constituent parties and I am suppose to believe that NYRA was too “cheap” to invoke an emergency plan that would have resolved the situation.

Give me a break!

cj
07-21-2008, 09:19 PM
I find it odd that no one brought up the fiascos at Santa Anita, Keeneland, and Del Mar when they changed their track surfaces to polytrack.

This is a completely false statement. It weakens anything else you are trying to say.

Storm Cadet
07-21-2008, 09:32 PM

Curiosity killed the cat PA :confused: ...anyway there is still erie silence from NYRA regarding what they gave fans or plan to give fans who attended Sunday's meltdown. Just an explanation or statement from their PR dept.http://www.nyra.com/belmont/stories/Jul20Cancel.shtml

Either they are thinking of what to do for a thank you to fans...or they are hoping they have a successful 6 week Saratoga meet and hope the local Belmont fans forget :sleeping: Sunday's fiasco.

My guess is that they will have a free admission and parking day when Belmont opens in the fall.

slewis
07-21-2008, 09:45 PM
If we had all the details and this is what actually happened, you'd be right. But who knows exactly when the jocks informed the authorities they couldn't ride? Who knows if they thought they could have it fixed at 10:30, only to find they couldn't? From what I read, it was a couple of jocks who made the most noise, not the whole room. As far as the tote goes, who knows if they didn't realize certain systems were down until after they communicated with other tracks?

The other thing that you have to consider is who you're talking about when you say "they". I do agree that they were asleep at the switch, so to speak, in that most of the top officials were at Saratoga, but to me that's unavoidable, and bad timing for them. It's a good guess that the guys that were left behind, so to speak, aren't the type empowered with much decision making. It sucks, and they suck when it comes to this kind of stuff (which is why I'm a little surprised at the outrage, given NYRA's history) but you have to admit at least some of it was a matter of bad luck/timing, or that the jocks were really looking forward to riding on what may have been the most brutal day of the year in terms of the heat.

Top management was at the track.

slewis
07-21-2008, 10:01 PM
The comments on this thread concerning the AC problem in the jockey quarters borders on the ridiculous to the ludicrous and everywhere in between.

Without knowing the facts the accusations are that NYRA doesn’t give a damn about the racing fan. I will readily admit that NYRA like the majority of the racing venues in North America doesn’t do enough for the racing fan. However in many cases it is the authorizing jurisdictions that is mainly at fault.

There isn’t a racing meet in North America that tops Saratoga and Belmont collectively. I find it odd that no one brought up the fiascos at Santa Anita, Keeneland, and Del Mar when they changed their track surfaces to polytrack.

One poster spoke of the plumbing going out at Belmont and the bathrooms couldn’t be used. Well I have had that happened to me both at Pimilco and Churchill Downs and at Pimlico it happened on Preakness Day 1998 and I said then I would never return to that racetrack again and never have since.

I have been to every major racetrack in North America more than once and I will take Saratoga and Belmont over any of them and this is covering a period of 41 years.

Lastly, Belmont does upward toward $15.5M in handle on Sundays when the on track, the ITW, and the ISW mutuel pools are combined and this yields nearly $3M in gross take revenue to be divided amongst constituent parties and I am suppose to believe that NYRA was too “cheap” to invoke an emergency plan that would have resolved the situation.

Give me a break!

No, your not supposed to believe anything except that NYRA management is incompetent. I'll say to you the same thing I said to Samyn.
If you think the success of NY racing, especially Saratoga, is directly related to NYRA management, you, like Samyn, are a fool.
They are in the GAMBLING business. An idiot can succeed in the gambling business. (Part of the problem is that NYRA higher ups don't think they are in the gambling business, they think they're in the Horse Racing business)
Horse Racing without gambling is non existant, (except in terroristville).
I'll challenge anyone to refute this and I've posted it before:
Give me a crap table and four 12 yr olds to run it, proper security, and let me set up on any street corner in any major city in the country and I'll be doing millions a year in profits. No ex-presidents of Goldman, no Bill Gates's, four average 12 year olds. Many millions. Why? Because Gambling is easy.
Even incompetent NYRA couldn't mess up Saratoga, but dont DARE think they are the reason for it's historical success.

The Hawk
07-21-2008, 10:03 PM
Top management was at the track.

Really? I read in the NY Daily News that was not the case, and that Jayward didn't comment until 4 hours after the cancellation.

JustRalph
I find it odd that no one brought up the fiascos at Santa Anita, Keeneland, and Del Mar when they changed their track surfaces to polytrack.

What the hell are you talking about? What fiasco at Keeneland?

I went to the first meet on Poly and every one since for a week or so. There is no place better.............???? Fill us in on "the fiasco" ?

Cratos
This is a completely false statement. It weakens anything else you are trying to say.

Why does it? If someone made those relationships I must have overlooked them or just missed them. Also please explain to me how a premise is minimized when collateral info is not central to that premises.

The thesis here is that the reason for NYRA's action aren’t presented except for hyperbole and it hard to believe that NYRA would discount a $3m day for something that they could have prevented.

cj
07-21-2008, 10:08 PM
Why does it? If someone made those relationships I must have overlooked them or just missed them. Also please explain to me how a premise is minimized when collateral info is not central to that premises.

The thesis here is that the reason for NYRA's action aren’t presented except for hyperbole and it hard to believe that NYRA would discount a $3m day for something that they could have prevented.

When someone makes a glaringly false statement, it negates the rest in my eyes. Even so, it is really, really hard to explain how a generator wasn't rented or portable ACs. Surely they have plenty of maintenance people under hire that could have been consulted.

In the end, when something is screwed up as bad as this one was, blame has to lie at the top.

I have defended NYRA many times, but this time, it is tough. I do still put at least 50% blame at the hands of the jockeys.

Cratos
07-21-2008, 10:13 PM
What the hell are you talking about? What fiasco at Keeneland?

I went to the first meet on Poly and every one since for a week or so. There is no place better.............???? Fill us in on "the fiasco" ?

The fiasco was (and still is) you the bettor, the customer who wagers money were wagering money horses on a surface that changed historically how the racehorse runs with respect to style. That might be okay with you, and you might have been a winner, but this a game where the horse’s history is everything to your decision to bet.

Cratos
07-21-2008, 10:19 PM
When someone makes a glaringly false statement, it negates the rest in my eyes. Even so, it is really, really hard to explain how a generator wasn't rented or portable ACs. Surely they have plenty of maintenance people under hire that could have been consulted.

In the end, when something is screwed up as bad as this one was, blame has to lie at the top.

I have defended NYRA many times, but this time, it is tough. I do still put at least 50% blame at the hands of the jockeys.

I am very glad you cleared that up, but a "glaring false statement" would be with intent and as I said there wasn't any intent to misrepresent anyone's info. I believe the issue here is disagreement.

OTM Al
07-21-2008, 10:22 PM
There may have been one or two around, but I assure you the vast majority of management was not there. They were very surprised and very angry when they found out what had happened.

Not sure if any sort of voucher was given, but admission and parking was free.

Still wondering where the outrage with the jocks is here. They were the ones that made everything grind to a halt. Yes, the heat caused problems with the electronics later in the day, but no one knew that was going to be a problem. The jocks walked. That cancelled the card. This cannot be refuted. The jocks are in no way part of NYRA and do not answer to NYRA.

The only thing about this whole thread that is right is that NYRA is controlled by thieves. Those would be your New York politicians and the racing and wagering board. Can't tell you how many public relations things they have blocked but I will give you one example of how extreme their rule over the tracks is. Anyone remember the Wood from this year and how they had 2 disabled veterans award the trophy to the winner? NYRA was not allowed to let them in free. 2 stnking bucks worth of admissions money and they were not allowed to let them in free. "Evil" NYRA management pulled $2 out of his pocket and dropped it on the table for them. This is the crap from above that they have to deal with. Also realize they have to deal seperately with all the various groups of the connection and several unions to keep the plant functioning. The amount of time they have to waste on stupidity is beyond belief. I guarantee those of you that think they could do better would be in for a very rude shock. Showing up at the track every day and running it are two entirely different animals.

OTM Al
07-21-2008, 10:24 PM

"Thanks to the leadership of our Board of Trustees, notably chairman C. Steven Duncker and vice-chairmen Michael J. Del Giudice, James P. Heffernan, and Stuart Subotnick, we can now focus on improving our business operations to ensure that Aqueduct, Belmont Park, and Saratoga take their place among the premier sports and entertainment venues in the world." They have a long way to go if they think they have a premier sports and entertainment venue compared to other sports.

Charles E. Hayward, President and Chief Executive Officer
Patrick L. Kehoe, Senior Vice President and General Counsel
Gavin Landry, Senior Vice President of Sales and Market Development
John Ryan, Senior Vice President and Chief Administrative Officer
David A. Smukler, Senior Vice President of Human Resources and Labor Relations
Patrick Mahony, Vice President of Pari-Mutuel Operations
Irene M. Posio, Vice President and Chief Financial Officer
Tom Thill, Vice President and Chief Information Officer
OPERATING OFFICIALS
Kenneth T. Cook, Vice President, Security
John Tierney, Vice President, Facilities
Elizabeth Bracken, Vice President and Director of Simulcast Sales and Content Acquisition
Jerry A. Davis, Jr., Director of Admissions & Parking
Neema Ghazi, Director of Marketing
John Lee, Director of Communications and Media Relations
Robert Palumbo, OTB Relations
John Passero, Director of Racing Surfaces
Rick Wickman, Stable/Security Supervisor

I know a couple of them. Can't speak for everyone on that list but the ones I do know are very well qualified for what they do and absolutely bust their asses on a daily basis.

riskman
07-21-2008, 11:19 PM
What did NYRA do before air conditioning was installed at the track? Was the jockey room still located in the track basement which has "no windows to provide ventilation" or was it located in another area ?

Planes, trains, buses, concerts, baseball, are cancelled or postponed because of equipment failure, weather conditions and many other reasons.

It appears NYRA miscalculated the time necessary to repair the generator. NYRA lost revenue, plus all of their vendors --Sunday being one of their biggest days. You would think from some of the comments on this thread that NYRA deliberately caused this action. A backup generator might be in order during the summer--who knows. When Belmont reopens after Saratoga they might offer the patrons a free lottery ticket !

PaceAdvantage
07-21-2008, 11:25 PM
NYRA was not allowed to let them in free. 2 stnking bucks worth of admissions money and they were not allowed to let them in free. "Evil" NYRA management pulled $2 out of his pocket and dropped it on the table for them. This is the crap from above that they have to deal with.So, the NYRA that is restricted from allowing VIPs into the track for free, is the very same NYRA that people expect to jump into a van with a fistful of hundreds to purchase generators and portable ACs on the fly....ok!

slewis
07-21-2008, 11:41 PM
So, the NYRA that is restricted from allowing VIPs into the track for free, is the very same NYRA that people expect to jump into a van with a fistful of hundreds to purchase generators and portable ACs on the fly....ok!

PA are you serious with this post?

Even the most anti gambling politician in Albany would approve of an expense that would NET THE STATE OF NY considerably MORE revenue then what they would lose from a cancellation.

The fact that they LOST state tax revenue by failing to take the necessary steps to ensure Sunday's card would be run is certainly a technical breech of the franchise agreement and the way I see it, grounds for Haywood to be forced fired by the board.
PA.. HE WAS ON TRACK ON SATURDAY. (Dazed and confused but on track).
If he was not there on Sunday, he should be fired.
SHIT.... This is his COO job!!! He does NOT earn $80,000 a year, he earns SUBSTANTIALLY more, but he's obviously well overpaid.

PaceAdvantage
07-21-2008, 11:52 PM
PA are you serious with this post?Of course I'm serious. I raised a very valid point, if I do say so myself! (Assuming of course, that the story of the VIPs not being allowed in for free is true)

Irish Boy
07-21-2008, 11:54 PM
The fiasco was (and still is) you the bettor, the customer who wagers money were wagering money horses on a surface that changed historically how the racehorse runs with respect to style. That might be okay with you, and you might have been a winner, but this a game where the horse’s history is everything to your decision to bet.

Is the fiasco that you can no longer win money at these tracks?

samyn on the green
07-21-2008, 11:58 PM
Even the most anti gambling politician in Albany would approve of an expense that would NET THE STATE OF NY considerably MORE revenue then what they would lose from a cancellation.
Consider that this is the same state government that forced NYRA to shutdown its race replays website (http://www.nyra.com/Belmont/Broadcast/Video/Video.shtml) so that OTB can remain the only place outside of a racetrack in NY state to watch a race. This is State corruption designed to protect patronage jobs at OTB. More corruption to protect otb patronage jobs involves the state stopping NYRA from offering free admission and closing down a lounge for premium players. The state is a corrupt beast, you have to open your mind up to realize and magnitude of the situation that NYRA operates under. Get past the all too easy "NYRA Sucks" mantra of the disgruntled malcontent NY player and realize that NYRA is the champion of the game, raising purses, putting out the best product in the most challenging of corrupt places. .

Cratos
07-22-2008, 12:04 AM
Is the fiasco that you can no longer win money at these tracks?

Yes, I just can't seem to win any money at those tracks.

slewis
07-22-2008, 12:26 AM
Of course I'm serious. I raised a very valid point, if I do say so myself! (Assuming of course, that the story of the VIPs not being allowed in for free is true)

I heard those VIP's were being watched by a private investigating company whose job it is to make sure NYRA does not allow ANYONE even VIP's in for free.

If anyone out there wants a top notch PI firm:
Call: CLIENT NUMBER NINE Private investigations, inc.
The 1-800 number can be found in the yellow pages.. and on the wall of the men's room on the third floor!!!!:lol:

.....and as for OTM AL's rendition of this crock of shit. Dont believe it.

PaceAdvantage
07-22-2008, 12:29 AM
.....and as for OTM AL's rendition of this crock of shit. Dont believe it.I have some info that leads me to believe he wouldn't make something like this up...but then again, this whole thing is getting rather silly.

I still maintain it would have been pretty next to impossible for a bunch of NYRA renegades to hop in a van with a fistful of hundreds in order to purchase ACs and generators on such short notice.

YokohamaMary
07-22-2008, 03:43 AM
Why all the negativity about the NYRA indeed. They allow patrons to openly partake of all sorts of substances in the grandstand when most places would gladly lock you up for it. :confused:

Tom
07-22-2008, 07:28 AM
I still maintain it would have been pretty next to impossible for a bunch of NYRA renegades to hop in a van with a fistful of hundreds in order to purchase ACs and generators on such short notice.That is the function of managment. If NYRA execs cannot do that, they are not managers. contingency plans for emergencies - and funds to cover them - are Mgt 101. But if the reason for the cancellation - as I understand it to be - is that jocks refused to ride, that is a whole other situation. AC was not needed, only some jocks with backbone. I would rule off the instigators, take out the sweat boxes and flipping bowls and tell the jockeys from now one, you are here to ride as independant contractors and your personal needs are not to be conducted here. No pool tables, no TV, just a shower and a locker. Send a message as to who runs NYRA. Right now, I do not think it is NYRA.

KingChas
07-22-2008, 08:29 AM
7/22/08

Glad to see your all in a "Saratoga state of mind". :D

Get over it..................... :1: more day

"When your memories exceed your dreams, the end is near." - Unknown Author

turfbar
07-22-2008, 08:45 AM
7/22/08

Glad to see your all in a "Saratoga state of mind". :D

Get over it..................... :1: more day

"When your memories exceed your dreams, the end is near." - Unknown Author

Doesn't NYRA run SARATOGA?

Turfbar

OTM Al
07-22-2008, 09:40 AM
Wow. I love being called a liar. Rest assured everything I have said is true. Matter of fact, I probably should not have brought up the $2 thing and that will be the last time I put something like that in print but the fact is most people seem to think NYRA is in control of everything that gets done at the track when the truth is that they are constantly being frustrated in the things they want done. Fact is, we haven't even had the chance to see the new NYRA frachise in action yet. Until the bankruptcy can be concluded, they can't go ahead with many capital improvements that they know need be made. And the bankruptcy can't be concluded until that damn casio management thing gets worked out by the state. If they screw up then, then I will have no problem being critical, but right now they are completely hamstrung by the state, and yet they are still putting out a product with regularity. I've been travelling to a lot of tracks over the past couple years and while many have had certain things that were nice, the overall NYRA package is without a doubt the best I've seen, and I expect to see a lot more in the next couple years

KingChas
07-22-2008, 09:43 AM
Doesn't NYRA run SARATOGA?

Turfbar

Is someone forcing you gentlemen/ladies to patronize NYRA tracks?
If you dislike them ,do not bet them.

I'm off to the Spa......regardless. Later. ;)

Storm Cadet
07-22-2008, 09:46 AM
I have some info that leads me to believe he wouldn't make something like this up...but then again, this whole thing is getting rather silly.

I still maintain it would have been pretty next to impossible for a bunch of NYRA renegades to hop in a van with a fistful of hundreds in order to purchase ACs and generators on such short notice.

PA get hold of yourself will ya!

The building facilities dept of NYRA already has in place local establishments that deal and have dealt with NYRA for many years. NYRA HAS COMPANY credit cards for expenses, so NO ONE IS RUNNING WITH HUNDREDS TO ANY STORE.

Do you think that if they run out of toner and copy paper that the place shuts down? NO THEY run to a local supply store or call in the order!

STOP MAKING EXCUSES for NYRA's inability to deal with a crisis....top level management FINDS WAYS to correct an problem in an emergency, but it was easier for them to shut it down for the last day. OK then, have a plan of customer refunds READY and PREPLANNED and IMPLEMENT it as soon as you make the decision to cancel. Instead of an event that could have and should been avoided, they allowed it to become on ongoing crisis which came to a head at post time.

Storm Cadet
07-22-2008, 09:47 AM
That is the function of managment. If NYRA execs cannot do that, they are not managers. contingency plans for emergencies - and funds to cover them - are Mgt 101. But if the reason for the cancellation - as I understand it to be - is that jocks refused to ride, that is a whole other situation. AC was not needed, only some jocks with backbone. I would rule off the instigators, take out the sweat boxes and flipping bowls and tell the jockeys from now one, you are here to ride as independant contractors and your personal needs are not to be conducted here. No pool tables, no TV, just a shower and a locker. Send a message as to who runs NYRA. Right now, I do not think it is NYRA.

GREAT POST! :ThmbUp:

Bruddah
07-22-2008, 10:56 AM
[QUOTE=KingChas]Is someone forcing you gentlemen/ladies to patronize NYRA tracks?
If you dislike them ,do not bet them.

I did just that over 3 years ago! The NYRA is determined to fill the passenger list on my little boat. What a bunch of Maroooons!! :D

KingChas
07-22-2008, 10:57 AM
Belmont to be open Wednesday for Spa simo

New York Racing Association officials said Monday that two blown transformers at Belmont Park would be replaced in time to provide sufficient power and air conditioning to properly conduct simulcasting when the Saratoga meet begins on Wednesday.

Sunday’s final card of the Belmont meet was canceled when the jockeys refused to ride, citing unbearable heat conditions in the jockeys' room caused by a transformer fire on Saturday morning.

``Why did two transformers blow in one month?" Handel said. "We have an engineer trying to figure that out."

cj's dad
07-22-2008, 10:59 AM
A local utility xfmr supplying sections of Pimlico burned out on Preakness day (about 11:00AM I think) of '98 and amazingly, the show went on. Yes, there were problems, but at the very least Pimlico did have contingency plans in place and with the aid of the local PoCo it wasn't too bad. Now I know that Preakness day is slightly higher on the list than Belmonts closing day in importance, but this IS Pimlico I'm referring to. Of course this was pre Stronach days.

I'm in the business and I can tell you that there are ways to get things up and running, so, I'm tending to believe that it was the jocks who threw a hissie fit.

njcurveball
07-22-2008, 11:03 AM
``Why did two transformers blow in one month?" Handel said. "We have an engineer trying to figure that out."

Perhaps an even better question is why is Handel getting paid so much when after having one transformer blow out, he had no contingency plan if it happened again. :bang:

aaron
07-22-2008, 11:14 AM
I was at the track Saturday,and felt under the circumstances,NYRA did the best it could. The weather was hot and the it was an uncomfortable day. As for newspapers in NY being opposed to NYRA,I find that ridiculous. If NYRA did its job the papers wouldn't have things to criticize. As for PA continually defending NYRA and never looking at whats going on,I don't get it. He runs this board and gives everyone a fair say,but when it comes to NYRA he is completely biased in their favor. All NYRA does is not bad,but if you look at the history of the franchise,I guess you would have to say they have had more failures than successes.

cj
07-22-2008, 11:21 AM
Does anyone think a Major League baseball game or an NBA game would be canceled because the clubhouse or locker room didn't have AC?

KingChas
07-22-2008, 12:10 PM
Does anyone think a Major League baseball game or an NBA game would be canceled because the clubhouse or locker room didn't have AC?

YES

In this day and age of overpaid,spoiled athletes,I would have to say most definately.

There are probably many old time jocks rolling in their graves right now!

A couple of small fans is all they probably had in the jocks room in those days,if that.

I think my contributions to benefit these new age jockeys are coming to and end immediatley.

:eek:

classhandicapper
07-22-2008, 01:10 PM
Come to think of it you aren't too far off on this. The APA 8-ball League in Manhattan can be a real disaster at times. If it wasn't for friends on my and other teams (and of course the cocktails) I probably would have given that up long ago. Do you play in a league then?

I hardly get a chance to play anymore, but at one time I played several hours a day every single day. I never joined a league. I played in local tournaments with cash prizes and side calcutta gambling until the cops cracked down on the gambling. When I was playing a lot, I followed the sport very closely. It's almost comical how badly organzied men's pool is. It rivals horse racing.

I also have a cousin that is a women's pro.

cj
07-22-2008, 02:12 PM
YES

In this day and age of overpaid,spoiled athletes,I would have to say most definately.

A couple of small fans is all they probably had in the jocks room in those days,if that.

I think my contributions to benefit these new age jockeys are coming to and end immediatley.

:eek:

I would disagree, because the owners wouldn't let them.

ryesteve
07-22-2008, 02:32 PM
But then again, there are also probably many old time horseplayers rolling in their graves right now over so much bitching and moaning being devoted to a one-day shutdown. Seems to me like there are plenty of whiners on both sides these days :D

njcurveball
07-22-2008, 03:06 PM
They had a similar situation, but to an opposite extreme at Keystone (now Phila Park) where the track was frozen and the weather was "too cold" for the normal jocks.

Management there made the weight on EVERY horse 126 pounds and they had whoever would ride up on the horses. 4k claimers were running 1:09 for 6 furlongs that day as well.

Obviously this was before simulcasting when track management made ZERO dollars unless they ACTUALLY ran the races.

The craziest thing that has not been mentioned yet (at least from all I have read) is that these "workers" regularly go in a sauna anyway. It isn't like meat workers going from a near freezing plant to 100 degree heat.

Also crazy that the crowd goes outside for these events as well.

I know this has become a "political" discussion, much like the ones on Polytrack.

But if the facts were fed into a computer with no bias at all, the jockey colony would be labeled "lame" and Management would be labeled "stupid". Both also would share the label "greedy and spoiled". :ThmbDown:

cj
07-22-2008, 03:10 PM
They had a similar situation, but to an opposite extreme at Keystone (now Phila Park) where the track was frozen and the weather was "too cold" for the normal jocks.

Management there made the weight on EVERY horse 126 pounds and they had whoever would ride up on the horses. 4k claimers were running 1:09 for 6 furlongs that day as well.

Obviously this was before simulcasting when track management made ZERO dollars unless they ACTUALLY ran the races.

The craziest thing that has not been mentioned yet (at least from all I have read) is that these "workers" regularly go in a sauna anyway. It isn't like meat workers going from a near freezing plant to 100 degree heat.

Also crazy that the crowd goes outside for these events as well.

I know this has become a "political" discussion, much like the ones on Polytrack.

But if the facts were fed into a computer with no bias at all, the jockey colony would be labeled "lame" and Management would be labeled "stupid". Both also would share the label "greedy and spoiled". :ThmbDown:

Tom mentioned the sauna a few times. You hit it on the head, both can share the blame on this one.

njcurveball
07-22-2008, 03:12 PM
Tom mentioned the sauna a few times.

Good call Tom! :ThmbUp:

ezpace
07-22-2008, 04:02 PM
horsemen,track mgmt. regulators etc. is

http://www.bloodhorse.com/article/46253.htm

slewis
07-24-2008, 12:42 AM
Ok, I'll behave.. until opening day at Saratoga.
The yearly joke amongst the regulars who watch races on the ground floor in the clubhouse at the Spa is "How many days into the meet will it take to get the main projection TV working"????
You know, the one they always pack up and take away 2 days PRIOR to closing day every year.
Usually the unit isn't there till day 2... then it's not wired till 3.. and not calibrated till race 3 or 4 first Saturday.
I've got several bets going.... just don't tell NYRA management.. they'll have me arrested for bookmaking!!:jump:

Ok everyone,

Opening day at the Spa has passed and I cashed big time.
No, I didn't make a bet on any horse that raced at the Spa.
I didn't bet Monmouth, Del, or Ellis Pk.
I bet, as I posted above, against NYRA. It's like putting Curlin in a maiden claimer at Timonium. Almost as guaranteed as those tote-computer guys that were hacking the system in the Breeders Cup.
I bet that the projection TV would not be working, and another bet that the unit itself which beams the picture on the screen would not be on the mount which suspends from the ceiling. Cashed em' both.
The Unit was nowhere to be found. Everyone was laughing as they handed their hard earned cash over to me.
Oh, by the way, all NYRA lovers, (OTM AL, Samyn On Green, Et AL) the replay system is not working either. You know, the one NYRA bragged about being "state of the art". Zip. Nadda.
A good friend of mine told me he spoke to Charlie Haywood about it at noon.
He swears Chubby, I mean Charlie, grabbed his cell phone and made a call. He told my friend it would be up in an hour. I hope he doesn't tell his wife stuff like that cause when I left after the last race it was still not working.
I even had a laugh with "The Little Guy" who, actually said that even he can't defend NYRA in this case.
Doesn't everyone see what's taken place here. NYRA again answers to nobody. They have no accountability, and could give two shits about their fans. No oversight. Our way or go to hell. Enjoy the next 25yrs, Al.

YokohamaMary
07-24-2008, 03:42 AM
Ok everyone,

Opening day at the Spa has passed and I cashed big time.
No, I didn't make a bet on any horse that raced at the Spa.
I didn't bet Monmouth, Del, or Ellis Pk.
I bet, as I posted above, against NYRA. It's like putting Curlin in a maiden claimer at Timonium. Almost as guaranteed as those tote-computer guys that were hacking the system in the Breeders Cup.
I bet that the projection TV would not be working, and another bet that the unit itself which beams the picture on the screen would not be on the mount which suspends from the ceiling. Cashed em' both.
The Unit was nowhere to be found. Everyone was laughing as they handed their hard earned cash over to me.
Oh, by the way, all NYRA lovers, (OTM AL, Samyn On Green, Et AL) the replay system is not working either. You know, the one NYRA bragged about being "state of the art". Zip. Nadda.
A good friend of mine told me he spoke to Charlie Haywood about it at noon.
He swears Chubby, I mean Charlie, grabbed his cell phone and made a call. He told my friend it would be up in an hour. I hope he doesn't tell his wife stuff like that cause when I left after the last race it was still not working.
I even had a laugh with "The Little Guy" who, actually said that even he can't defend NYRA in this case.
Doesn't everyone see what's taken place here. NYRA again answers to nobody. They have no accountability, and could give two shits about their fans. No oversight. Our way or go to hell. Enjoy the next 25yrs, Al.

Not entirely true. if you are a pot smoking rastafarian, your business is always welcome in the grandstand at Belmont so the NYRA does care about some of its patrons.

One the other hand, if you make the mistake of having a lit stogie on the clubhouse escalator (I did this once) prepare for a severe reprimand from a potbellied Pinkerton.

Has the price of a hot dog reached $100 yet? I can't be there for a few weeks and would like to know if I should bring some extra cash with me.

PaceAdvantage
07-24-2008, 04:29 AM
Do you think that if they run out of toner and copy paper that the place shuts down? NO THEY run to a local supply store or call in the order!The cost of what was needed far and away exceeds your everyday office supplies. Even you would admit this.

STOP MAKING EXCUSES for NYRA's inability to deal with a crisis....top level management FINDS WAYS to correct an problem in an emergency, but it was easier for them to shut it down for the last day.Is my "making excuses" any worse than your speculation of what MIGHT be the case behind the scenes? Or what SHOULD have happened, or what they COULD have done or were ABLE to do?

I don't think so....in fact, I like to think I provide a needed counterbalance....

pat
07-24-2008, 07:17 AM
DAY 1 at the Belmont simulcast went better than I expected .,someone finally cleaned the chicken bones that were there for over a month. ( I think the PA board gets a lot more attention from NYRA execs than people think)
I will occasionly post the positives and negatives to keep people on their feet. I will be up at the spa from 8/9 thru 8/17, all other days will be spent at belmont simulcast

Tom
07-24-2008, 07:37 AM
DAY 1 at the Belmont simulcast went better than I expected .,someone finally cleaned the chicken bones that were there for over a month.

Was soup du jour CHICKEN? :eek::lol::3x:

Storm Cadet
07-24-2008, 08:13 AM
The cost of what was needed far and away exceeds your everyday office supplies. Even you would admit this.

Wrong again my friend...I just had to replace my 3 color toner cartridges and black one for my office copier...$525 from Office Depot. Printer shut down and we could not make copies of medical forms for parents. Didn't have any spares so off I sent a assistant with my credit card!

A one day rental of a large Honda Generator at Northeast Equipment Rentals here in Hauppauge/Smithtown is only $119.00 per day. More than enough juice to power a home, no less an airconditioner in jockey quarters.

Now their problem with the auto tote system is another thing.

Storm Cadet
07-24-2008, 08:24 AM
Besides the awful weather, Hayward said there were “a few glitches” opening day.

“We had more than an acceptable number of betting machines in the box area that were not operating,” he said. Those machines would be up to speed for the second day of the meet.

The replay centers were not in operation because the televisions had not arrived. Hayward said he expected that to be rectified by July 24.

How many months did they have to make sure the TV's were there? And why REMOVE the TV's from last year UNTIL the new ones arrive? :bang:

Did they offer any kind of give back to the people that coughed up the big NYRA price increases to sit in the boxes only to find out their machines didn't work?

And the beat goes on!

KingChas
07-24-2008, 08:32 AM
Let me offer a free gift to all ......................enjoy! :lol:

http://www.nyra.com/saratoga/stories/NYRANation.shtml

Storm Cadet
07-24-2008, 08:39 AM
Let me offer a free gift to all ......................enjoy! :lol:

http://www.nyra.com/saratoga/stories/NYRANation.shtml

Screw that offer...sounds too much like RED SOX NATION :ThmbDown:

OTM Al
07-24-2008, 09:42 AM
Enjoy the next 25yrs, Al.

I will. Hope you stick around long enough in this life to as well.

I'm sorry that your TV didn't work. Hopefully that will be fixed along with the 80 new units that were delayed in getting there. Of course the actual track is only a few yards away so fortunately there was no need for you to miss anything. Don't know the story on what happened with that, so I won't pass any judgement. And I'm sorry your free replay system wasn't working. God knows how anyone ever picked a winner without one, but they should work properly if they are there. I had heard there was some problems with the vendor's software, but as I've never used one, I didn't keep up with what was happening there. I'll ask if you like.

I would be interested in hearing what people think about some of the new additions up there this year. The food vending there should be a considerable upgrade and with the price range that was set, it sounds like there should be some pretty tasty choices for not much cash.

Storm Cadet
07-24-2008, 12:11 PM
I would be interested in hearing what people think about some of the new additions up there this year. The food vending there should be a considerable upgrade and with the price range that was set, it sounds like there should be some pretty tasty choices for not much cash.

I'll give a fair and non biased review after my weekend trip there!

I do intend to visit the food joints they set up!

alhattab
07-24-2008, 03:19 PM
I would be interested in hearing what people think about some of the new additions up there this year. The food vending there should be a considerable upgrade and with the price range that was set, it sounds like there should be some pretty tasty choices for not much cash.[/QUOTE]

Paul Moran wrote in his blog yesterday that the area in which the new vendors are located is "an eyesore".

OTM Al
07-24-2008, 03:49 PM
Yes he did didn't he. Well, as to his allegations that someone is lining their pockets with that deal, that is completely untrue. People complained about racetrack food so they tried to give quality alternatives at decent prices to the people and brought in local restaurants to do that. I notice he didn't say anything about the food being served...

Even Bossert said he was looking forward to the fried chicken, and he's been very critical of everything lately.

toetoe
07-24-2008, 05:26 PM
I like Bossert and Kling, but whose turf course is Moran mowin' ? That guy manages to whine about everything in a very boring way. :sleeping:
Herb Caen he ain't.

JustRalph
07-24-2008, 07:00 PM
Was soup du jour CHICKEN? :eek::lol::3x:

Wow........that's a scary thought!!! :bang: :lol:

alhattab
07-25-2008, 12:32 AM
Yes he did didn't he. Well, as to his allegations that someone is lining their pockets with that deal, that is completely untrue. People complained about racetrack food so they tried to give quality alternatives at decent prices to the people and brought in local restaurants to do that. I notice he didn't say anything about the food being served...

Even Bossert said he was looking forward to the fried chicken, and he's been very critical of everything lately.
Moran certainly looks like a surly bastard, doesn't he?

I'll wait until I can judge for myself. Unfortunately I have to wait 4 weeks.

I don't know if Hatties is serving red beans and rice at the track. I'd stay away from that based on a bad takeout experience. But the fried chicken is great and I clearly envision my wife and I taking part in that a few times. Between lunching on fried chicken and dinner comprising of pulled pork and 4 or 5 beers at the Horseshoe, Aug 26 or so may be my last post. Goodnight All.

Storm Cadet
07-26-2008, 11:53 PM
Just got in from Saratoga and what an especially nice experience this weekend was.

The new amenities at SAR were great, the new food court was perfectly placed for all...the FRIED CHICKEN was excellent, and all the TV's at the race replay center all worked and looked great!

Usual packed house at Siro's with BTW and Crist and Harvey doing their thing!

Breakfast at the Horseshoe Inn was the usual great meal.

NYRA looks like they really are trying to better the customer experience this summer at the SPA as they had an unusually high number of customer service reps all over the grandstand and at the gates!

And what great cards they had this weekend so far!

:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: for NYRA on getting everything straightened out after some early speed bumps Wed/Thursday!

BillW
07-26-2008, 11:58 PM
Just got in from Saratoga and what an especially nice experience this weekend was.

The new amenities at SAR were great, the new food court was perfectly placed for all...the FRIED CHICKEN was excellent, and all the TV's at the race replay center all worked and looked great!

Usual packed house at Siro's with BTW and Crist and Harvey doing their thing!

Breakfast at the Horseshoe Inn was the usual great meal.

NYRA looks like they really are trying to better the customer experience this summer at the SPA as they had an unusually high number of customer service reps all over the grandstand and at the gates!

And what great cards they had this weekend so far!

:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: for NYRA on getting everything straightened out after some early speed bumps Wed/Thursday!

T-minus 14 days and counting :)

Tom
07-27-2008, 12:30 AM
Horseshoe Inn, fried chicken.....Mmmmmmmmmmmm.:p

OTM Al
07-28-2008, 01:42 PM
I finally made it up Sunday (car issues :( ). Not sure what Moran was talking about, but from what I've heard about him, some aren't sure he knows either. The Restaurant Row was in a perfect spot and looked pretty nice as far as food stands go. Had to have the chicken as that's all anyone talks about (I have the feeling they might outsell the other 4 restaurants combined) but do plan to try the others when I get back up in a couple weeks. It was pretty good. Also ate a BBQ later. Disgusting stuff that I dearly love! They also have a small tent there that is a pub tent that opens in the mornings early for the English racing. That needs a little more work as I don't think people know yet what it really is, but they told me they are going to redo the seating and get a little more signage to let people know what it is. Its between the main grandstand gate an the festival tent, so there is food and bathrooms and betting terminals right there. Yes, you have to buy your own drinks to sit in there and some may think prices are high, though being used to NYC bar prices they don't phase me much, but there is waitress service and 4 high def tvs in the tent. But no reservations, so if it sounds like something you are interested in, go on in and say hi to the ladies running the place.

Credit where credit is due though. NYRA did get these things set up, but without the people of Saratoga and their excitement about the events (hey, it is much of their economy) it couldn't be near as good as it is. NYRA frequently has Saratoga people come down to help with customers on big days in the city, esp Belmont day. If everybody they get was like these people, I don't think you'd ever hear a peep about customer service.

john del riccio
07-28-2008, 04:18 PM
Not entirely true. if you are a pot smoking rastafarian, your business is always welcome in the grandstand at Belmont so the NYRA does care about some of its patrons.

One the other hand, if you make the mistake of having a lit stogie on the clubhouse escalator (I did this once) prepare for a severe reprimand from a potbellied Pinkerton.

Has the price of a hot dog reached $100 yet? I can't be there for a few weeks and would like to know if I should bring some extra cash with me.

I had to laugh out loud reading this. DEAD ON !

John

Moyers Pond
07-30-2008, 05:21 PM
The thing that kills me about NY is the paid parking. Are they kidding me? What is the point and how is that going to attract fans.

Right now there parking lot is a storage spot for car salesman. The funny thing is they probably know someone at NYRA and do not even pay for this but the guy coming in to bet has to pay to park.

PaceAdvantage
08-01-2008, 05:59 PM
The funny thing is they probably know someone at NYRA and do not even pay for this but the guy coming in to bet has to pay to park.Oh, I highly doubt that NYRA is giving away that storage space for free. In addition, there are other spots around the tri-state area used for similar automobile storage space, not just NYRA's racetracks.

aaron
08-01-2008, 09:54 PM
Oh, I highly doubt that NYRA is giving away that storage space for free. In addition, there are other spots around the tri-state area used for similar automobile storage space, not just NYRA's racetracks.
I agree, even NYRA can't be dumb enough in this financial climate to give away free automobile storage space.

OTM Al
08-02-2008, 10:26 AM
Sections of the parking lots are regularly rented out to car dealerships and the flea market