PDA

View Full Version : Media Players For Watching Races

trying2win
07-20-2008, 03:49 PM
I don't know if everyone knows it, but bettors don't 'have to' use the WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER for viewing races online. You are not stuck with WMP as the only option. There are several other free media players that will handle WMP files. I've tried out three others lately. Here's my opinion on these four:

1. WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER

--The quality is very good overall. However, I've read several reports on how MICROSOFT seems to have spying techinques on what files you're using in their WMP. I don't know whether these allegations are true or not, but I'm suspicious nevertheless, and prefer not to use this media player.

2. GOM MEDIA PLAYER

--This is my top choice amongst the four media players listed here. The quality of the picture is very good, although just a tad below WMP in my experience. Nonetheless, I like all the extra features and options that go with this player.

3. VLC MEDIA PLAYER

--I found that the picture quality was very good as well. The only problem was that the video at times would freeze about 20 seconds after getting a racing video online.

4. KMP MEDIA PLAYER

-- The quality of the video using this player was not very good. Can't recommend it.

EXTRA NOTES:

--To use one of the players besides the WMP, don't forget to uncheck all the file types in the WMP under the 'options' tab. Once you've done that and start a racing video, a pop-up will usually will state that the video can't play for various reasons, and that you should try and check off another media player to start up the video file. If the media player is not on the list, go browsing for it in your files. This pop-up will also usually ask you to check off the media player you want to play all video files in the future.

--Once you have everything set up, and you click on a racing video, the new media player should pop-up shortly on your screen with the racetrack video you chose.

--And don't forget to set up your firewall, to allow any new media player to operate on your computer

T2W

robert99
07-20-2008, 04:20 PM
That's good to know.
If you get a crash steaming video linked to WMP it seems you have to reinstall WMP to reset the link. Another 20 minutes of my life wasted by MSoft.