PDA

View Full Version : Announcer at Evangeline Downs - A question if you please

BeatTheChalk
07-20-2008, 01:28 PM
I watched the video from a few tracks later in the evening. The first time
I had ever heard the guy. He says the same thing - each time the horses break from the gate -- But I can not possibly understand what he is saying.
:bang:
So my question is ...What in the world is the " dude " saying ? :lol:
Bear in mind I am not being critical. In fact he does a fine job. :ThmbUp:
Thanks in advance for any help. And to quote Trevor :

" Going along up front at a sensible pace ...." :confused:

Overlay
07-20-2008, 01:51 PM
I've never visited Evangeline Downs or seen its replays, but since the track is in Louisiana, might the announcer be speaking French and saying either, "C'est le depart!" or "Ils sont partis!" (either one of which corresponds to "They're off!")? (Just a wild guess.)

cj
07-20-2008, 01:54 PM
I've never visited Evangeline Downs or seen its replays, but since the track is in Louisiana, might the announcer be speaking French and saying either, "C'est le depart!" or "Ils sont partis!" (either one of which corresponds to "They're off!")? (Just a wild guess.)

He says ils sont partis.

Overlay
07-20-2008, 02:11 PM
Thanks, cj. BeatTheChalk's question reminded me of when I went to see the harness races at Blue Bonnets in Montreal. (That was where the standard phrase they used for the start (which was, of course, a rolling start rather than from a stationary gate) was, "C'est le depart! They're off!".) The announcer on the PA always did his commentary (except for the calling of the race itself) in both French (first) and then English (one right after the other). ("Dans la troisieme course, in the third race, le numero deux, the number two horse, Chicken Pie, le conducteur, the driver, William Bradford, ne part pas, has been scratched.") It was interesting to hear him switch from a French accent to non-accented English from one word to the next, especially because most of the horses had Anglicized names.

Marshall Bennett
07-20-2008, 02:13 PM
He's saying " Bet Elsewhere " !! :)

Dave Schwartz
07-20-2008, 05:27 PM
Nah, he is just adding local color. And, it is a great track to play.

boomman
07-21-2008, 12:36 AM
I watched the video from a few tracks later in the evening. The first time
I had ever heard the guy. He says the same thing - each time the horses break from the gate -- But I can not possibly understand what he is saying.
:bang:
So my question is ...What in the world is the " dude " saying ? :lol:
Bear in mind I am not being critical. In fact he does a fine job. :ThmbUp:
Thanks in advance for any help. And to quote Trevor :

" Going along up front at a sensible pace ...." :confused:

The announcer in question is my very good friend John McGarry. John does a great job and has been around for a very long time, having moved to Louisiana after calling the harness races at Cal Expo in Sacramento, The California Association of Racing Fairs (CARF) @ Pleasanton, Solano, Stockton, Ferndale, etc, and then a brief stint at Retama Park in San Antonio (in which I filled in for him a few years ago when he had an overlap) He says "ils sont partis" because his former GM, the late David Yount, asked him to as part of the tradition of racing at Evangeline..........

Boomer

BeatTheChalk
07-21-2008, 01:04 AM
I received a detailed answer to my question about Evangeline Downs.But I also got some very interesting information : The local color - the history - the back stories.
You folks are .. in a word ......A W E S O M E :ThmbUp: ;) :cool:

boomman
07-21-2008, 08:33 AM
I received a detailed answer to my question about Evangeline Downs.But I also got some very interesting information : The local color - the history - the back stories.
You folks are .. in a word ......A W E S O M E :ThmbUp: ;) :cool:

BTC: Glad I was able to help, and I agree with you 100%. This board is a GREAT source of information, and has members that legitimately LOVE horse racing!

Yours truly included!!;)

Boomer

Vinman
07-21-2008, 08:46 AM
Who is the announcer at EvD that John McGarry replaced a few years ago? He sounded like an older guy, with a deep, baritone voice. I assume he must have retired?

Vinman

ranchwest
07-21-2008, 09:09 AM
The announcer in question is my very good friend John McGarry. John does a great job and has been around for a very long time, having moved to Louisiana after calling the harness races at Cal Expo in Sacramento, The California Association of Racing Fairs (CARF) @ Pleasanton, Solano, Stockton, Ferndale, etc, and then a brief stint at Retama Park in San Antonio (in which I filled in for him a few years ago when he had an overlap) He says "ils sont partis" because his former GM, the late David Yount, asked him to as part of the tradition of racing at Evangeline..........

Boomer

My first visit to EVD was in the 70's and they were using "Ils sont partis" back then. As far as I know, they've been doing it since the track opened.

thruncy
07-21-2008, 11:05 AM
Herb--"hey you kids get off that fence"--Holliday. This man was a classic. He called races at New Orleans Fairgrounds too. "Coast to coast!" was another trademark of his for wire to wire performances. He was at EVD when Robby Albarado, Eddie D. and other soon-to-be great riders rode there. Herb did not have a deep voice. He sounded like a track announcer cast in a "B" movie.

gemcity39
07-21-2008, 11:13 AM
and his famous 'old gus" has wandered onto the track call...old gus was the alligator that lived in the infield at the old EVD. Occasionally old gus would wander out onto the track on the clubhouse turn and Halliday would just say he was out there like it was just part of the race call. I also remember the"you kids get off the fence" remark, and Mondays are special at Evageline because it's for local folk and .50 cent beer night!!!:)

boomman
07-21-2008, 11:28 AM
My first visit to EVD was in the 70's and they were using "Ils sont partis" back then. As far as I know, they've been doing it since the track opened.

Yep, I believe the track opened in 1966, so the tradition has lived on for over 40 years, and that's a good thing. As far as announcers, John McGarry did not replace Herb Holiday.......Shawn Beirne (who's now at Denver) was the announcer in between the two.........

Boomer