PDA

View Full Version : Del Mar Visit: Your Ideas Please

Zman179
07-20-2008, 11:54 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm strongly considering heading out to Los Angeles for the second week of August and want to go to Del Mar (big time) for an overnight. This will be my very first visit to Del Mar racetrack (I did pass by it on the I-5 heading to Tijuana, but that doesn't count.)

For those in the know, I need to pick your brain. Are there any high-end (3½ to 5 stars) hotels within walking distance (one mile) of the track? Any good restaurants in the immediate area close to the fairgrounds? How about the coast, do you recommend a particular beach? The reason that I'm asking for closeby stuff is because I'm trying to avoid renting a car for my visit. I guess that I'm just a diehard New Yorker and don't want to rent a car unless I absolutely, positively have to (I lived in LA for 3 years and know that it is a car town, but other than the Del Mar visit I'm keeping all of our activities centralized between Santa Monica and West Hollywood...with a foray to Dodger Stadium.)

Thanks for taking some time and helping me out. I'd much rather head to Del Mar with an idea as to what to expect rather than head out there on the blind.

Fingal
07-20-2008, 12:05 PM
Check out the Del Mar web site under " our community " for listings of Hotels, Resturants, etc. It lists a wide variety. Also I'd try posting your question on the Del Mar Fan's Forum. You'l get some good answers from the locals that live down in the SD area.

http://www.dmtc.com/season/community/restaurants.php

http://www.dmtc.com/season/community/accommodations.php

DJofSD
07-20-2008, 12:18 PM
I think chickenhead made a visit to DMR last year (or has it been longer). Perhaps he'll share his experieces with some recommendations.

There's really only one hotel within walking distance. But getting a room there very likely is another matter altogether. During the tourist/summer season you might have to go a further distance from the track to find a vacancy which would mean either a taxi or a rental car. And very likely away from the coast.

A suggestion: remember the Bing Crosby song, take a plan, take a train, take a car. While there no longer is a Del Mar airport the train still runs. It no longer stops at the old Del Mar station but it does stop at the Solona Beach station. If you're healthy, it is within walking distance otherwise a short cab ride. Taking the train would open up the list of hotels to those in the downtown San Diego area and areas to the north of the track. Check the AMTRACK web site for details.

Grits
07-20-2008, 12:31 PM
The hotel needs no explanation.

http://www.hoteldel.com

bigmack
07-20-2008, 02:06 PM
I'm trying to avoid renting a car for my visit. I guess that I'm just a diehard New Yorker and don't want to rent a car unless I absolutely, positively have to (I lived in LA for 3 years and know that it is a car town, but other than the Del Mar visit I'm keeping all of our activities centralized between Santa Monica and West Hollywood...with a foray to Dodger Stadium.)
To schlep down from LA into SanD, I highly recommend renting a car for the trip. You'll spend a whole lot less than any other means and you'll be afforded opportunities to see much more than you would utilizing cabs/trains/trams.

Tip-top accommodations can be found at either of these and you'll be a stones throw from the track:
http://www.laubergedelmar.com/
http://www.theinnatrsf.com/

Before or after your day, try and stop in The Brigantine and give the Oysters Rockefeller a whirl. It's just behind DM on the coast side.
http://www.brigantine.com/

DJofSD
07-20-2008, 02:09 PM
Before or after your day, try and stop in The Brigantine and give the Oysters Rockefeller a whirl. It's just behind DM on the coast side.
http://www.brigantine.com/
:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

dutchboy
07-20-2008, 02:14 PM
I have always stayed at the Del Mar Hilton which is across the street from the track. Just checked their website and they do have several rooms available for the 2nd weekend in August.

When I used to go they had a shuttle to and from the track and the train station. I stayed there for a few days 10 years in a row. There are also several very nice restaurants within an easy walking distance. There is also a great offtack betting building next to the track and the hotel.

JustRalph
07-20-2008, 03:06 PM
To schlep down from LA into SanD, I highly recommend renting a car for the trip. You'll spend a whole lot less than any other means and you'll be afforded opportunities to see much more than you would utilizing cabs/trains/trams.

Great Advice! Tons of great stuff within an hour of Del Mar.

Why not fly into San Diego?

miesque
07-20-2008, 03:07 PM
I agree the Del Mar Hilton is preferred way to go if there is availability. The rooms and service is decent and since its at the entrance to Del Mar you can easily walk to the track if you are so inclined and there are several restaurants also within walking distance.

Zman179
07-20-2008, 04:48 PM
Wow, what great advice! Once again you guys came through with some spiffy tidbits! :jump:

Why not fly into San Diego?

Because I lived in LA for 3 years and would like to see how the place has changed since I left there in 1991; Los Angeles is the focal point of the trip. Plus I'm still familiar with the layout at LAX and will have no problems getting to/from there. Besides, the flight to LAX is only going to set me back 10 clams thanks to frequent flier points.

True, but we would ride Amtrak for free thanks to my Amtrak frequent rider points (can't go for cheaper than that, eh?)
And thanks for the super tip about L'Auberge Del Mar. :ThmbUp: I'd rather save the money on the flight and train ride and spend all the savings on some 5 star accommodations. And let me tell you, that $570 "Seaside Spa Escape" is calling my name (or should I say our names) right now! :jump:

juanepstein
07-20-2008, 05:22 PM
screw all those high end del mar hotels.

take the train down to solana beach and get a hotel in solana beach.

theres a free shuttle to the track from the train station and it will take you back.

and eat here its right across the street from the track.
http://cache.virtualtourist.com/2286235-The_Fish_Market_Near_The_Del_Mar_Race_Track-Del_Mar.jpg

keep it simple

rrbauer
07-20-2008, 05:37 PM
Several of the hotels in Solana Beach and Del Mar have shuttles to the track. Pretty sure both Courtyard and Holiday Express in SB have shuttles.
4-star restaurants in Del Mar? Hard to come by, IMO.
If you want to eat in real restaurants you might want to head on down to La Jolla...a little less surf-inspired there.

bigmack
07-20-2008, 05:46 PM
True, but we would ride Amtrak for free thanks to my Amtrak frequent rider points (can't go for cheaper than that, eh?)
Train station in LA is a long way from Santa Monica/West Hollywood. Then, it's 3 hours down on the train. When you get back you have to go from the station back to LAX or Santa Monica. Sounds like a hassle to me.

A rental car is what $30/day and you won't worry about transport while here. On the way down you could see the charm of Dana Point/Laguna Beach and have a ball doing it. If you use Enterprise they'll bring the car to you and they have good weekend rates. Again, while here, you'll be able to bounce down to Coronado and points of interest in SD.

Happy trails.

richrosa
07-20-2008, 11:20 PM
The DelMar Marriott is real nice. The restaurant in the hotel is awesome.

I'm fairly certain the run a shuttle. It can't be more than 4 miles from the track.

Living Flame
07-21-2008, 01:49 PM
Stayed at the Del Mar Hilton last time I went to Del Mar. It was nice! I live in LA and haven't been to Del Mar in awhile, but I'm heading down there soon. I always take the train - saw Jack Nicholson on there, once. LOL

The Hotel Del Coronado is legendary; it'd be awesome to stay there.

Kudos to you for trying NOT to rent a car!!!!!:ThmbUp:

These articles will help you out a lot, read them!

Have fun!

The track: http://travel.latimes.com/articles/la-tr-delmar13-2008jul13

Where to stay/eat:
http://travel.latimes.com/articles/la-tr-delmarbox13-2008jul13?parent=san-diego&type=destinations

richrosa
07-21-2008, 01:53 PM
The Hotel Del Coronado is legendary; it'd be awesome to stay there.

I second the Coronado, however you absolutely need a car to get to and from Del Mar.

I cannot fathom being in the San Diego area without a rental car. Being a Queens kid myself, I can understand the attempt, but the West Coast just doesn't operate like the East Coast in terms of geography and public transportation.

Not having a car in San Diego is like being in Eastern Queens trying to get to Manhattan and facing a two bus transfers and two subway transfers.

Imriledup
07-21-2008, 02:08 PM
Courtyard by Marriott in Solana beach, 717 S. HWY 101
(there's also a holiday inn express right there)

Its walking distance to the track and there are a bunch of nice places to eat, also within walking distance. Cal Pizza Kitchen and a good taco place as well as fine dining at the Pacific Coast Grill. There's also a nice little convience store right by there as well as the Brig (best fish tacos)

bigmack
07-21-2008, 02:15 PM
I second the Coronado, however you absolutely need a car to get to and from Del Mar.

I cannot fathom being in the San Diego area without a rental car. Being a Queens kid myself, I can understand the attempt, but the West Coast just doesn't operate like the East Coast in terms of geography and public transportation.

Not having a car in San Diego is like being in Eastern Queens trying to get to Manhattan and facing a two bus transfers and two subway transfers.
While I can appreciate the nostalgia of 'ridin' the rails', SoCal really asks for self guided wheels to fully appreciate the area.

As I played tennis at the Del Coronado Hotel for years (locally we all call it "The Del") those rat bastards ripped out most of the courts and left us unable to play on the coast. I maintain my resentment, but it's an awfully nice place to spend a day or several.

http://wemetinmiami.com/images/hotel%20del%20cornado.jpg
http://www.hotelsoftherichandfamous.com/hotels/hotel-del-coronado/hotel-del-coronado-default.jpg

DJofSD
07-21-2008, 02:39 PM
L'Auberge del Mar Resort & Spa, 1540 Camino Del Mar; (800) 245-9757, www.laubergedelmar.com. If you feel lucky or want to act like a high roller, this is the spot. The resort offers panoramic coastal views and an accompanying elegance. Rates from $410.

If you are interested in this destination, I'd call to check on the status of their renovation. For a while the resturant was closed. I've not actually been inside in a long time but I am aware there was some upgrades going on earlier this year. Likely they're done by now but just to be safe....

Imriledup
07-21-2008, 03:02 PM
l'aburge is for the rich and famous. Didn't the guy say he doesn't even want to rent a car? Why are you people giving him L'aburge if he's on a budget?:bang:

bigmack
07-21-2008, 03:11 PM
l'aburge is for the rich and famous. Didn't the guy say he doesn't even want to rent a car? Why are you people giving him L'aburge if he's on a budget?:bang:
Looks like you're hurting your head there. Read post 1, grab some HeadOn, apply directly & repeat.

DJofSD
07-21-2008, 03:48 PM
Yes, within walking distance was a criteria, and that place is within walking distance -- sort of. If you golf and do not use a cart then you can handle it.

Zman179
07-21-2008, 07:55 PM

Budget? I'm on a budget? Nooo, I just don't want to rent a car. I don't see why I should spend $375 for a five-day intermediate car rental (quoted), $100 for gas, and around $100 for parking when I can take that exact same $575 and use it on some spectacular spa treatment for my wife and I. I even asked wifey :kiss: whether or not she wanted to rent a car. She asked me how long the bus rides would be in LA. Knowing LA very well, I told her depending on where we were going between 20 minutes and 1 hour (longest ride between Santa Monica and Union Station) with the average being 30 minutes. She said, "Hop on the bus, Gus." :cool:

P.S. Thanx for the articles "Living Flame."

rgustafson
07-22-2008, 08:45 PM
Zman. if you want a really nice meal, and cost is no object, go to the Pamplemousse Grill. It is right across the street from the track and about a five minute walk from the Hilton. My wife and I have visited Del Mar a number of times and always enjoyed our meals there. Will be out there this year from Aug. 4th-9th, but this time taking our six year old grandaughter to see the ocean for the first time, so I think we will be dining a little lower on the food chain.

JustRalph
07-22-2008, 09:37 PM
Does "Clay's Texas Pit Barbecue" still exist in La Jolla ?

bigmack
07-22-2008, 09:51 PM
Does "Clay's Texas Pit Barbecue" still exist in La Jolla ?
Long gone

whipsaw
07-23-2008, 04:49 PM
and one that i use myself. carlsbad is a pleasant little town on old highway 1 with several very nice hotels/motels right on the highway. you can walk out the front door, cross the road, down a small hill and be sitting on the beach watching people and handicapping the days races. everything you need is within walking distance.

walk to the train depot and take the "coaster" to the track or just walk across 1 again and catch a bus. it's a straight shot into solano beach where delmar runs free double decker buses from the train station and back.

do have a meal at the fish market across from the track. it's a popular hangout for trainers and jocks.

rent a car for the day the track is dark to do your sightseeing in sd.

best of luck.

rrbauer
07-23-2008, 06:12 PM
Looks like you're hurting your head there. Read post 1, grab some HeadOn, apply directly & repeat.

Great product! LOUSY commercials!! :lol: :lol:

Who started this thread anyway?

Zman179
07-23-2008, 07:11 PM
Great product! LOUSY commercials!! :lol: :lol:

Who started this thread anyway?

The guilty party would be I, sir. And I'd do it again!!! :D

DJofSD
08-05-2008, 10:56 PM
Zman -- you still traveling out this way?

Zman179
08-06-2008, 07:53 PM
Zman -- you still traveling out this way?

Well...I am absolutely raring to go!!! On the other hand, my wife's got cold feet all of a sudden and doesn't want to go on vacation. :bang:

I really want her to go, but let's just say that I'm very close to deciding on going out west by myself. In that case, I'd go for the cheapie rooms. :lol: I really WANT to go to Del Mar and see LA again.

All of your info has been top notch. Thanks a bunch!