PDA

View Full Version : Delmar Pick 6???

menifee
07-19-2008, 10:09 PM
The pool was over a million. Right before the race goes off they show the payoffs. The 5 pays the pool to some lucky person. (700K out of a 1mil pool). The 8 creates a carryover.

The 5 and the 8 deadheat. The results show that 6 only pays 350K. What happened to the other 350K? Why did they halve it? I thought if you got a dead heat in a leg of a pick 6 or pick 4, you win.

Turfday
07-19-2008, 10:24 PM
I'm going to try and find out what the explanation is.

MAGICHORSEMAN
07-19-2008, 10:43 PM
A mystery by definition is something that may never be understood!!!

Turfday
07-19-2008, 10:50 PM
Del Mar Pick 6 carryover pool was $1,042,347

There were supposedly six horses of the ten that were covered and it was clearly announced that ANY of those six would win the entire pool to the tune of about $712,000.

Very oddly, favorite Improvising Gal or second choice Friendly Mystery plus two others were NOT among the six that were covered.

Big LONGSHOT first-time starter Silent Smoke was a late scratch at the gate. I am speculating that he was one of the six that WERE covered in the Pick 6 ...with any one of the six taking the entire pool.

When Silent Smoke scratched at the gate, the ticket on her reverted back to the race favorite Improvising Gal, who wasn't covered!

When it was announced and noted that Improvising Gal was NOT covered, this was before the scratch of Silent Smoke.

Thus, there were two winning Pick 6 tickets because of the deadheat....one on Dumaani's Gold and the other "backed into" when favorite Improvising Gal was in the deadheat.

Since there was supposedly one ticket on six starters, it was presumed and probably correctly, that one person (or group) was alive to six horses.

So in essence, again speculating, instead of cashing in and taking the pool on one ticket, they got the whole pool on two tickets.

menifee
07-19-2008, 10:59 PM
Del Mar Pick 6 carryover pool was $1,042,347

There were supposedly six horses of the ten that were covered and it was clearly announced that ANY of those six would win the entire pool to the tune of about $712,000.

Very oddly, favorite Improvising Gal or second choice Friendly Mystery plus two others were NOT among the six that were covered.

Big LONGSHOT first-time starter Silent Smoke was a late scratch at the gate. I am speculating that he was one of the six that WERE covered in the Pick 6 ...with any one of the six taking the entire pool.

When Silent Smoke scratched at the gate, the ticket on her reverted back to the race favorite Improvising Gal, who wasn't covered!

When it was announced and noted that Improvising Gal was NOT covered, this was before the scratch of Silent Smoke.

Thus, there were two winning Pick 6 tickets because of the deadheat....one on Dumaani's Gold and the other "backed into" when favorite Improvising Gal was in the deadheat.

Since there was supposedly one ticket on six starters, it was presumed and probably correctly, that one person (or group) was alive to six horses.

So in essence, again speculating, instead of cashing in and taking the pool on one ticket, they got the whole pool on two tickets.

Ahhh, your theory makes complete sense!!! So that person did not have to sweat out that photo finish. I thought the poor person may have had a heart attack during that stretch run.

sammy the sage
07-19-2008, 11:27 PM

BINGO!

Turfday
07-19-2008, 11:51 PM
An individual win...an "all burger"....means $712,000 to one and NOTHING to the other. A deadheat means $356,000.

I would say that would have be a deadheat you'd never forget whether the same person won it (likely) and more so if there were two individuals.

menifee
07-20-2008, 12:15 AM
I'm assuming it had to be the same person, but who knows....

MAGICHORSEMAN
07-20-2008, 12:48 AM
This is one to remember and talk about for a while. But what would have happend if there was only one horse alive and the other horse had no live pick six tickets alive? And there was no scratches in a race.

Would half of the pick six ticket carryover? or would only the single alive ticket get the $713 k in a dead heat situation?

Hopefully someone here can answer.

Burls
07-20-2008, 04:35 AM
But what would have happend if there was only one horse alive and the other horse had no live pick six tickets alive? And there was no scratches in a race. ... Would half of the pick six ticket carryover?

The way I understand it, the DH in R10 would create two winning sequences of 6, each of which would win half the P6 payout amount.

The tickets with the the 6-6-8-6-1-5 sequence would split half the P6 payout amount between them.

The tickets with the the 6-6-8-6-1-8 sequence would split the other half of the P6 payout amount between them. If there were no tickets with this sequence, then no one would have won that half of the P6 payout amount, so that amount would go into the carryover pool.

It does sound like some fortunate individual or group had both winning sequences. That is one serious chunk of change. Even one of the two halves is a pretty hefty chunk.

pic6vic
07-20-2008, 09:28 AM
Here is exactly what happened

there were 6 horses covered and the 3,7, and 8 were uncovered. the 10 is scratched at the gate. The 8 goes off favorite and then is involved in a dead heat. 2 winning tickets.

What if the 10 was not scratched, then there would have been only one ticket as the 8 was uncovered.

The 5 of 6 was payint 3500 to the 8. The payout after the scratch was 2300

MONEY
07-20-2008, 10:16 AM
So, technically if the connections for the #10 horse had the 1st 5 in the pick6, they would give themselves a better chance to hit the p6 by scratching the #10. Because now they would still get the #10 plus the PTF & all of the other scratched horses should the PTF win.

Money

The Judge
07-20-2008, 12:14 PM
No one should know who is alive and who isn't before the race is run to much can go wrong and it looks suspicious even if things are on the level. Here a ticket was cut in half because of a "late scratch". Was there some hanky panky in scratching the horse thereby giving someone a shot with the favorite?

No one should be placed on a horse that they didn't choose even if they win $350,000 as someone else lost $350,000.

At most tracks you can get an alternate horse but most bettors are too busy making out a ticket to think about an alternate. Still what tickets are alive should never be known by anyone before the final race.

Pace Cap'n
07-20-2008, 01:40 PM
There were two winning tickets worth $356,909.60 each.

According to track officials, one ticket was a $12 play purchased through Television Games (TVG) and an $8 ticket was bought in Las Vegas.

The Las Vegas ticket was "pushed" into the Pick Six when long shot Silent Smoke was scratched at the gate in the 10th race. That meant the ticket was given the post time favorite, Improvising Gal ($4), who ended up dead-heating for the win with Dumaani's Gold ($6.20).

www.nctimes.com/articles/2008/07/19/sports/horseracing (http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2008/07/19/sports/horseracing/z854a11189c8933f08825748c000ec34d.txt)

toetoe
07-20-2008, 01:47 PM
The dead heat should not matter if only one is covered. That one should get the entire 6 o' 6.

menifee
07-20-2008, 02:06 PM
www.nctimes.com/articles/2008/07/19/sports/horseracing (http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2008/07/19/sports/horseracing/z854a11189c8933f08825748c000ec34d.txt)

Wow it was two seperate people. Interesting. Also interesting how they put it together for $12 and $8 respectively.

pic6vic
07-20-2008, 03:16 PM
The dead heat should not matter if only one is covered. That one should get the entire 6 o' 6.
The horse became covered because of the scratch. Therefore, 2 tickets

toetoe
07-20-2008, 03:42 PM
Right, Vic. I was speaking hypothetically. It's a refreshing change from my usual hyperthesis.

Milleruszk
07-20-2008, 08:47 PM
TVG interviewed the guy that had the $12.00 ticket. He had singled the $89.00 horse in the one race. The winner said that it was not as crazy as it seemed because that horse (I forget his name) was 10-1 on the ML. He also stated that he was legally blind and could no longer read the Daily Racing Form. I'm sure that testimonial will help their circulation! :D

toetoe
07-20-2008, 09:27 PM
I am SO ashamed that I didn't scrutinize that mare, and even push her in 'Selections.' She did indeed figure. :bang:

PIC6SIX
07-21-2008, 10:04 AM
I also questioned the P-6 payout at first. After some discussion with someone in the know I learned that since the #10 horse was a LATE scratch all tickets using the #10 in the last leg of the P-6 got the postime favorite, #8 (5:2). Therefore, the reduced payout on the #5. I think I got it correct. If anyone knows otherwise, please post so I can stand corrected.