PDA

View Full Version : What happened with Alex Solis?

jfb
07-19-2008, 09:42 PM
Alex has not been riding for some of his usual good stables this year. Why are Mandella, Headley and McAnalley going to other riders?

Forgive me if this was brought up earlier in the year and I missed the discussion.

juanepstein
07-19-2008, 09:55 PM
Alex has not been riding for some of his usual good stables this year. Why are Mandella, Headley and McAnalley going to other riders?

Forgive me if this was brought up earlier in the year and I missed the discussion.

he hurt his back real bad a while ago and seemed to be doing good again but late last year he was in a bad accident in the stretch with mike smith and i think the culprit was martin garcia cutting them both off. probably messed up solis again in the head.

sammy the sage
07-19-2008, 11:18 PM
yep....being pulled off better mounts because refuses to follow instructions...in other words...goes to lead instead of rating...ect.

Greyfox
07-19-2008, 11:20 PM
He had an accident.
He's riding scared.
His solid standby trainers know that and having given him the chance are saying
"bye bye."
He's still a good rider, but....

virginia1946
07-19-2008, 11:50 PM
I noticed on today's Del Mar card (Saturday, July 18) Solis was replaced on horses in 2 stakes races. In both races where he was replaced, the horse either won (Zardana) or ran 2nd (Surf Cat). I guess the trainers knew what they were doing by changing riders.

sammy the sage
07-20-2008, 07:26 AM
^^^^^^

BINGO!

rrbauer
07-20-2008, 09:37 AM
One of Solis' longtime benefactors, Bruce Headley, has been riding David Flores as his go-to guy for a couple months now.

cj's dad
07-20-2008, 09:55 AM
He had an accident.
He's riding scared.
"bye bye."
He's still a good rider, but....

Same thing happened to Julie Krone after she was nearly stomped to death at Gulfstream. Her chest protector probably saved her life!

airford1
07-20-2008, 11:20 AM

Solis has been riding like a sissy bitch for about 2 1/2 years. Breaks last and has turned 99% of his mounts into deep closers as he takes them all wide. TOO WIDE. Something serious happened with Headley that is not being said in public and its a personel nature left not said. The other trainers have also grown tired of Alex being scared and moved to good younger riders like MC Baze, Tyler Baze, J Rosario and others.

Really Alex wasn't really that good, he just got the benifit of CJ McCarron's friendship and his Agent Scotty.

Alex needs to go ride with P. Val and fad off to the fair curcuits.

Fingal
07-20-2008, 11:55 AM
I noticed on today's Del Mar card (Saturday, July 18) Solis was replaced on horses in 2 stakes races. In both races where he was replaced, the horse either won (Zardana) or ran 2nd (Surf Cat). I guess the trainers knew what they were doing by changing riders.

He had an accident.
He's riding scared.
"bye bye."

There is an old story where a racetracker asks a jockey with fading skills why he didn't retire earlier before his legacy was tarnished, why didn't he listen to that little voice in his head. And the reply was-

" Couldn't hear it, Horses make too much noise on the track."

Marshall Bennett
07-20-2008, 12:04 PM
I always felt Solis was overrated . With all the young talent riding in So. Cal. you can't blame trainers for going elsewhere .

BombsAway Bob
07-20-2008, 12:18 PM
Why doesn't Alex do what all jocks seemingly do when they've lost their way...
SWAP COASTS! Kent..Mikey..ALEX???

exiles
07-20-2008, 12:42 PM
I always felt Solis was overrated . With all the young talent riding in So. Cal. you can't blame trainers for going elsewhere .

The most overated rider in the history of horse racing, one of my better angles for the past 5 years has been SOLIS OFF . I was laughing for days when somebody i think on this forum asked why SOLIS wasn't in the hall of fame.:lol:

DJofSD
07-20-2008, 01:04 PM
The most overated rider in the history of horse racing, one of my better angles for the past 5 years has been SOLIS OFF . I was laughing for days when somebody i think on this forum asked why SOLIS wasn't in the hall of fame.:lol:
So, that would imply Major Smoke in today's 3rd will be shorter than 4-to-1 at post time (Alex off, "RB" on)?

jognlope
07-20-2008, 01:19 PM
What a bunch of idiotic posts. You -- all of you should get in the stirrups at 35 to 40 mph with nothing in your tummy. Alex has 4,500+ wins...

IDIOTS!!!!

DJofSD
07-20-2008, 01:40 PM
What a bunch of idiotic posts. You -- all of you should get in the stirrups at 35 to 40 mph with nothing in your tummy. Alex has 4,500+ wins...
IDIOTS!!!!
Dude, do you deliberately go out of your way to make an ass out of yourself?

Riding short has nothing to do with handicapping the races.

jognlope
07-20-2008, 04:16 PM
1) I am not a dude, I'm a woman.

2) I'm not making an ass of myself to get understandably fed up with the negativity in this board, with few exceptions. And yes, why don't you get on the back of a horse and go 35 mph on an empty stomach, before you criticize any jockey that rides today...OK????

3) What if Alex read your nasty posts, did you ever think of that?

Marshall Bennett
07-20-2008, 06:19 PM
1) I am not a dude, I'm a woman.

2) I'm not making an ass of myself to get understandably fed up with the negativity in this board, with few exceptions. And yes, why don't you get on the back of a horse and go 35 mph on an empty stomach, before you criticize any jockey that rides today...OK????

3) What if Alex read your nasty posts, did you ever think of that?
Not to sound negative , but most all of them ride at 35mph on an empty stomach . Its whats underneath them that matters , and if it doesn't do well you have to look elsewhere .

exiles
07-20-2008, 07:11 PM
So, that would imply Major Smoke in today's 3rd will be shorter than 4-to-1 at post time (Alex off, "RB" on)?

It used to be that the odds would go up because too manny people thought that SOLIS could ride. people know realize that he is a bum, and any other jockey but SOLIS is a + so the odds go down.

Sailwolf
07-20-2008, 07:17 PM

IDIOTS!!!!

..... and ride like you have a chair between you and the saddle; which you don't:)

exiles
07-20-2008, 09:24 PM
Anybody who had any doubt about SOLIS watch today's last race he gave one of his pattended rides, lose as much ground as you can, come into the stretch 8 WIDE finish 4th and win the race after the wire, text book SOLIS FOR THE LAST 5+ YEARS.:lol:

boomman
07-21-2008, 12:52 AM
Alex Solis is one of the true gentleman in our game, so it is difficult for me to agree in a forum how much his skills have deteriorated, but unfortunately it is TRUE! He does (as another poster correctly stated) break everything in the back (or so it seems) and attempts to circle fields with regularity. His success began basically when Scotty McClellan began giving him Chris McCarron "2nds"..I am absolutely amazed that it has taken this long for trainers to quit using his services, and another poster also correctly stated that "Solis" OFF has been a great betting angle.....I can tell you 1st hand that it DEFINITELY has been profitable for me..........

Boomer

PaceAdvantage
07-21-2008, 02:58 AM
2) I'm not making an ass of myself to get understandably fed up with the negativity in this board, with few exceptions. And yes, why don't you get on the back of a horse and go 35 mph on an empty stomach, before you criticize any jockey that rides today...OK????Unfortunately, there's a lot to be negative about. Why should we have to all be jockeys before we are allowed to criticize a jockey? Do movie critics need to direct, produce, or star in a movie before they are allowed to critique a movie?

Do sports writers have to be ballplayers before they criticize an athlete?

Why should we fans be any different? We certainly should be allowed to criticize jockeys, owners, trainers, or anyone else involved in the sport. After all, there is no game without our betting dollars. There is A LOT OF MONEY being wagered on this game/sport. SERIOUS money. Those of us wagering our hard earned dollars have earned the right to criticize as we see fit, in my opinion.

What if Alex read your nasty posts, did you ever think of that?Tough. He gets paid handsomely for doing what he does. And the dollars we wager are what allows him to earn his handsome living.

If you think Alex is being unfairly criticized here, you have every right to present your case and the reasons why you think the critics of Solis are wrong.

AQUEBUCKS
07-21-2008, 05:58 AM
Yesterday’s last race at Delmar was a perfect example of Alex's inept state of a somewhat successful career. No apparent initiative to try to win on a horse that should have won. Fortunately for me, Russell Baze (on my second) choice) secured a rather easy late P-4

jognlope
07-21-2008, 07:14 AM
I don't think a jockey with over 4,500 wins can be that inept, can he?

jognlope
07-21-2008, 07:20 AM
I think it is distinctly American that men get together in a locker room fashion and get very distainful about everything. To be objective is like being a sissy to some I guess.

AQUEBUCKS
07-21-2008, 07:36 AM
Yes, 4,500 wins, and slowly counting. A jockey who has been passed over for the Hall of Fame, deservedly so... In addition, whose contemporaries are entering as we speak? A few more lackluster years and he will not even be considered.

boomman
07-21-2008, 08:29 AM
I think it is distinctly American that men get together in a locker room fashion and get very distainful about everything. To be objective is like being a sissy to some I guess.

jog: I can assure you that when it comes to Alex Solis, my comments are 100% objective, because as a person I really like the guy! I do however agree with you on one thing: I also sense a lack of objectivity in this thread, and GUESS WHAT?

It's on your end!:D

Boomer

Imriledup
07-21-2008, 09:02 AM

IDIOTS!!!!

You need to carefully watch the Southern California races before calling people Idiots. Its pretty obvious that you have no idea whats going on with Alex and his free-falling riding skills. I'm sure a lot of people will respect Alex for winning thousands of races in his career, but what does his previous 4,500 wins have to do with him winning TODAY? People want to cash bets today, not talk about the past.

Solis was a good little rider in his day, not too many are disputing that, what we are talking about is his CURRENT riding. Maybe you ought to watch ONE of Alex Solis' recent or future rides and get back to us? Just a suggestion. :bang:

DJofSD
07-21-2008, 10:05 AM
I don't think a jockey with over 4,500 wins can be that inept, can he?
Yes.

Look back at Laffit Pincay. He was in quite a slump before his resurgence to the top ranks. He eventually went on to surpassing Shoemaker's record.

We're critical of the performance, not the person.

plainolebill
07-21-2008, 02:40 PM
Bill Spawr kept Pincay afloat for years before he got his career on track again.

As far as Solis, I agree he is not much jock nowadays but I read that he was involved in some sort of fracas at a function and from that point forward Headley dropped Alex in favor of Flores.

I think Headley is out of the frying pan and into the fire with Flores.

jfb
07-23-2008, 11:54 PM
3 wins and a place in 4 rides today.

The trainers he rode for are Gallagher, Fanning, Hendricks and Becerra.

I was curious about the "Solis off" claim and looked at 61 horses where Solis rode last out was replaced. Only 4 of them won.

airford1
07-26-2008, 10:01 AM
3 wins and a place in 4 rides today.

The trainers he rode for are Gallagher, Fanning, Hendricks and Becerra.

I was curious about the "Solis off" claim and looked at 61 horses where Solis rode last out was replaced. Only 4 of them won. He must of read this thread and decided to be a real rider, but it will pass in about a month. How many life time wins does Solis have? 4500? Not so good when you had the pick of the west for so many years. Hell I would take P. Val over Solis to be inducted into the hall of fame.