PDA

View Full Version : Hialeah Could Catch a Second WINd

Zman179
07-19-2008, 04:31 PM
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/Sports/content/sports/epaper/2008/07/19/0718hialeah.html

Personally, I believe that Hialeah could rival Gulfstream due to the fact that:

A) It has a traditional open-air grandstand
B) Brunetti would no longer handle the reins
C) CNet ain't Magna
D) Slots?

Tampa Russ
07-19-2008, 05:05 PM
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/Sports/content/sports/epaper/2008/07/19/0718hialeah.html

Personally, I believe that Hialeah could rival Gulfstream due to the fact that:

A) It has a traditional open-air grandstand
B) Brunetti would no longer handle the reins
C) CNet ain't Magna
D) Slots?

A Hialeah returned to her former glory would be magnificent for the sport. Rival Gulfstream? More like put them out of business.

tribecaagent
07-19-2008, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the post Zman.

Even though this is in the infant stages, it seems like both sides are motivated. I must say, behind Saratoga, Hialeah is the most beautiful place on earth.

I remember Turkoman ran 7/8th's in 1:20 & change for his first start of 1986. I was there for that race. Hopefully, I'll be there again.

karlskorner
07-19-2008, 05:58 PM
John Brunetti has been in the real estate business all his adult life and knows the game well, the estimated 20/30 million to put Hialeah back in shape again is his estimate (he's the seller) more like 60/70 million to replace the Grandstand, all the barns are gone, the Clubhouse and track are in need of serious repair, the parking lot is a shambles, just ain't going to happen.

Reminds me of a story told to me back in the early 50"s by Fred Trump (The Donalds father). Seems a man had a huge truckload of canned sardines he took to an auction, the bidding started at 5 cents a can, went to 10/15/20 cents a can, the bidder at 25 cents a can thought he ought to taste them first, opened a can, spit out his first bite and told the seller these are poison, the seller replied "These are selling sardines, not eating sardines"

the little guy
07-19-2008, 10:16 PM
Name dropping has just reached a new low.

Norm
07-19-2008, 11:32 PM
Re-opening Hialeah as it was in the old days is the best thing that could happen to thoroughbred racing. It was the most beautiful track I've ever seen along with Saratoga. I'll be there on opening day ! :jump:

MAGICHORSEMAN
07-20-2008, 01:02 AM
I was there in 1989 and it was a beautiful track. It would be great if it could reopen. Next to Mountaineer Park it was one of the finest racetracks in the country.

levinmpa
07-20-2008, 07:59 AM
I'm always interested in news regarding Hialeah Park. Thank you for posting this story. I check the www.savehialeahpark.com website often and have donated to the cause to save Hialeah. They will certainly need to put a lot of money into the place. With Gulfstream having pretty alienating all the horseplayers in South Florida, the time is right to bring back Hialeah. However, renovating the track is one challenge. The other challenge will be securing the prime winter dates in for January - March that Gulfstream now has. I always remain hopeful.

Click here to see Hialeah Today. (http://maps.yahoo.com/;_ylc=X3oDMTExNmIycG51BF9TAzI3MTYxNDkEc2VjA2ZwLWJ1 dHRvbgRzbGsDbGluaw--#mvt=s&lat=25.84444&lon=-80.278565&zoom=20&tt=hialeah%2C%20park&tp=1&q1=hialeah%2C%20fl)

Mag
07-20-2008, 09:02 AM
The buyer needs to make friends with powerful people in FL....a road from the toll road and a road from I-95 will need some serious widening. They would probably have to invoke eminent domain; but, that is a good way to clean up blighted areas along those 2 routes and spur redevelopment. If the right strings can be pulled, everybody wins.

Afterthought: Oh, and I don't think the grandstand needs to be completely rebuilt, just needs serious repair and cleaning. Chop down all the overgrowth. The place has lasted this long so its base structure is good, serious renovation will fix it.

I like the look of the barns at the new Pinnacle....they look cost effective and allow good air flow all thru them.

joanied
07-21-2008, 11:39 AM
I used that link (thanks) to see the photos...geeze, pretty sad. I have a photo of my ex husband jogging a horse down Fitz Lane, under those gorgeous trees...actually I have several photos of Hialeah in an old album...the fountains, the Grandstand ect ect...and what a Grandstand it was...I agree with Mag, if they do re build Hialeah, they should do nothing more than clean up & repair the grandstand...it's too beautiful and historic to rebuild it.

I do have some misgivings about re opening Hialeah... I would love to see it happen, but they need to do something about the nieghborhood...anyone living down there will attest to the fact the neighborhood is like Murder Inc. Even the last couple of years that I was down there from NY, the surrounding area was going downhill fast...in fact, the last year we were there, couldn't find a place to stay anywhere near the track...and had to get an apt in Dania...
but, if they can get this done, and get the area to improove...be safe and clean...then to re open that race track would be wonderful thing.

Living Flame
07-21-2008, 01:26 PM
I do have some misgivings about re opening Hialeah... I would love to see it happen, but they need to do something about the nieghborhood...anyone living down there will attest to the fact the neighborhood is like Murder Inc. Even the last couple of years that I was down there from NY, the surrounding area was going downhill fast...in fact, the last year we were there, couldn't find a place to stay anywhere near the track...and had to get an apt in Dania...
but, if they can get this done, and get the area to improove...be safe and clean...then to re open that race track would be wonderful thing.

Yeah kinda reminds me of Hollywood Park, which may face the wrecking ball as well. Now, HollyPark is not beautiful - it's a gritty sort of track - but it is very historic, a great track, and should be saved.

A lot of people won't go anywhere near there though, exclusively because of the neighborhood. It's a very ugly area with plenty of crime.

I would love to see Hialeah, I hope they do restore (not rebuild) it.

cnollfan
07-21-2008, 07:02 PM
I visited Hialeah in 2001 and I thought the neighborhood was better than advertised. Maybe I'm naive but I didn't see a problem. I don't buy the inaccessibility argument either -- so it's four miles of side streets from the Interstate instead of two miles. Not that big of a deal. Everything in South Florida is somewhat of a jaunt to begin with.

I would love to see Hialeah return, and now that Magna has destroyed Gulfstream there's a chance it could happen.

joanied
07-22-2008, 11:01 AM
I visited Hialeah in 2001 and I thought the neighborhood was better than advertised. Maybe I'm naive but I didn't see a problem. I don't buy the inaccessibility argument either -- so it's four miles of side streets from the Interstate instead of two miles. Not that big of a deal. Everything in South Florida is somewhat of a jaunt to begin with.

I would love to see Hialeah return, and now that Magna has destroyed Gulfstream there's a chance it could happen.

A lot can happen to a neighborhood in 6 or 7 years... it would be nice to think the Hialeah area isn't as bad as many say it is...but like Hollywood Park, it seems this area of Miami is not a welcome destination to most folks...but, I don't know for sure, just going by what I read...maybe someone here knows the neighborhood well enough to shed some light.
As far as accessibility, that's a small problem that can be easily remedied...I see that as no big deal.

In any event, I hope they can get this done and re open this incredible race track.

Otis11
07-22-2008, 11:20 AM
A lot can happen to a neighborhood in 6 or 7 years... it would be nice to think the Hialeah area isn't as bad as many say it is...but like Hollywood Park, it seems this area of Miami is not a welcome destination to most folks...but, I don't know for sure, just going by what I read...maybe someone here knows the neighborhood well enough to shed some light.
The company my sister works for is head quartered near Hialeah. She has to frequently go down there for business. In her words, "It's worse then Detroit." And we live in the Detroit area.....

joanied
07-22-2008, 11:40 AM
The company my sister works for is head quartered near Hialeah. She has to frequently go down there for business. In her words, "It's worse then Detroit." And we live in the Detroit area.....

Just got an email from a cousin that lives down there...said about the same thing as your sister. it was already going downhill last time I stabled there, which was too many years ago...
well, maybe IF they get Hialeah re built, it would also benefit the neighborhood and get it 'cleaned ' up...I guess if Rudy G was able to clean up Times Square (and I know what that section of NY was like because I lived there)...then the powers that be in the area of Hialeah can do the same thing.
Time will tell.

Tom Barrister
07-22-2008, 02:30 PM
More likely Hialeah could take some of the many many dates that Calder has. It'd be good for the sport, but I'd also be surprised if it happened. The neighborhood around Hialeah would be a lot tougher to clean up than Times Square was, imho.

onefast99
07-22-2008, 02:56 PM
Hialeah coming back? You have a better shot of hitting mega millions and thats 125m tonight! :lol:

joanied
07-22-2008, 03:29 PM
Hialeah coming back? You have a better shot of hitting mega millions and thats 125m tonight! :lol:

Think positive!!

joanied
07-22-2008, 03:47 PM
More likely Hialeah could take some of the many many dates that Calder has. It'd be good for the sport, but I'd also be surprised if it happened. The neighborhood around Hialeah would be a lot tougher to clean up than Times Square was, imho.

it would be a good thing for the sport...especially in FL, from what I gather. I always have had a 'grudge' against Calder... it was actually the beginning of the end for Hialeah...and the death of Tropical Park (which was OK, because Tropical Park was pretty much a crappy place) Once they had Calder built, the battle for race dates began, and it's been going on ever since. Then Mr. Stronach steps in and evidently destroyed Gulfstream Park...that man had some good ideas, but IMO, he spread himself too thin...buying here, there & everywhere...delusions of grandure!!!
IMO, if Hialeah had never closed, the neighborhood may not have gotten as bad as everyone says it is...but as far back as the mid 70's, that neighborhood was going downhill....and since it's kinda 'politically incorrect' to place blame...I won't give my opinion about that... if Hialeah could talk...what a sad tale it would tell.

Maybe the area around Hialeah would be harder to clean up, compared to Times Square...let's get Rudy G down there...he can do it:ThmbUp:

I will remain optimistic about the grand old place getting a new lease on life...and if they can get 'er done, with the right promotion...Hialeah will draw crowds from all over...that, you can bet on.

onefast99
07-22-2008, 05:09 PM
Joanied, just for you I played the 125m mega millions as your posts are always positive. I played it like it was a 4m pick six carryover at Belmont!!!

joanied
07-22-2008, 06:21 PM
Joanied, just for you I played the 125m mega millions as your posts are always positive. I played it like it was a 4m pick six carryover at Belmont!!!

:ThmbUp: I'll share the winnings with everyone on the board:)

levinmpa
07-23-2008, 10:26 AM
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/content/sports/epaper/2008/07/21/0721hialeah.html

All we can do is hope that Mr. Minor or someone else out there has the clout and wherewithal to make this dream happen. It would obviously be a huge undertaking. However, since Hialeah Park is designated as a national historic site, there may be a way for Mr. Minor to get some economic help or tax relief. If he can pull this off, I'll be first in line on opening day.

boomman
07-23-2008, 12:51 PM
As far as accessibility, that's a small problem that can be easily remedied...I see that as no big deal.

In any event, I hope they can get this done and re open this incredible race track.

I live in Florida and even though I'm on the southwest side (the good side LOL;) ) I can tell you without hesitation that the neighborhood near Hialeah has to be one of the worst in the ENTIRE United States, even surpassing Hollywood Park. Not to mention the fact that to renovate Hialeah IMHO would take at least 50 million dollars and then complicate that with the fact they have no race dates, and I can't see any possibility of this happening. LOVE the history there and my buddy Frank Miramahdi called the races up until they closed, but I think their days are definitely OVER.............Sorry to burst your bubble.......:(

Boomer

rufus999
07-23-2008, 01:04 PM
I hear first hand that the dog track does very well along with the other concessions they have now. Why would they change back to a lower class clientele?:cool:

rufus

joanied
07-23-2008, 04:23 PM
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/content/sports/epaper/2008/07/21/0721hialeah.html

All we can do is hope that Mr. Minor or someone else out there has the clout and wherewithal to make this dream happen. It would obviously be a huge undertaking. However, since Hialeah Park is designated as a national historic site, there may be a way for Mr. Minor to get some economic help or tax relief. If he can pull this off, I'll be first in line on opening day.

I'll be right behind you, levinmpa :jump:

I didn't even think about the fact that Hialeah is a designated Nat'l Historic site...that means (I beleive) that no one can actually go in there and tear it down?? It has to stay there...regardless. If they can't re build it to what it once was, and get racing back, then I suppose the next best thing would to keep it as a 'tourist' stop...clean it up, fix it up and open it to the public as an 'attraction'
Just some thoughts...

Tampa Russ
07-23-2008, 08:17 PM
Halsey Minor has a dream. The technology entrepreneur, multimillionaire, and Thoroughbred owner wants to purchase, renovate, and return racing to historic Hialeah Park, the Southern Florida track that has been closed since 2001.

Minor said July 22 he has talked to Hialeah owner John Brunetti on the phone and they have plans to meet face-to-face in early August to discuss the track’s future. Minor also has been in touch with Alex Fuentes, who heads the group Citizens to Save Hialeah Park.

~the rest at this link~

http://news.bloodhorse.com/article/46275.htm

onefast99
07-23-2008, 09:12 PM
I'll be right behind you, levinmpa :jump:

I didn't even think about the fact that Hialeah is a designated Nat'l Historic site...that means (I beleive) that no one can actually go in there and tear it down?? It has to stay there...regardless. If they can't re build it to what it once was, and get racing back, then I suppose the next best thing would to keep it as a 'tourist' stop...clean it up, fix it up and open it to the public as an 'attraction'
Just some thoughts...
It is a refuge for the Flamingos it cannot be torn down the birds get first right as squatters.

jonnielu
07-23-2008, 10:36 PM
Halsey Minor has a dream. The technology entrepreneur, multimillionaire, and Thoroughbred owner wants to purchase, renovate, and return racing to historic Hialeah Park, the Southern Florida track that has been closed since 2001.

Minor said July 22 he has talked to Hialeah owner John Brunetti on the phone and they have plans to meet face-to-face in early August to discuss the track’s future. Minor also has been in touch with Alex Fuentes, who heads the group Citizens to Save Hialeah Park.

~the rest at this link~

http://news.bloodhorse.com/article/46275.htm

The gap between yesteryear and tomorrows industry can be bridged. I think Halsey Minor understands what needs to be done to bring the sport of horseracing into the 21st century. There is one perfect place on the planet to do it. Hialeah.

jdl

joanied
07-24-2008, 11:24 AM
It is a refuge for the Flamingos it cannot be torn down the birds get first right as squatters.

I don't care whether it's a refuge for 'squatting' :eek: Flamingos or not...fact is, they can't tear it down:jump:

By the way...when we were down there (back in the day) those silly pink birds brightened every morning, just about the same time, as they'd come flying over the barn area, sometimes with a rainbow from an early morning shower... and every one would look up and watch them....
thanks for the memory recall:)

joanied
07-24-2008, 12:28 PM
The gap between yesteryear and tomorrows industry can be bridged. I think Halsey Minor understands what needs to be done to bring the sport of horseracing into the 21st century. There is one perfect place on the planet to do it. Hialeah.

jdl

:ThmbUp:

Mag
07-31-2008, 01:31 PM
New....

http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/dear-johnan-open-letter-to-john-brunetti/

joanied
07-31-2008, 02:42 PM
New....

http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/dear-johnan-open-letter-to-john-brunetti/

Thanks for posting this link...and thanks to Paulick :ThmbUp: for writting it...it's excellent and really hits home...I sure hope Brunetti reads it.
I know he has already met with Minor, but I'm not sure anyone knows exactly what transpired during their meeting, except that Brunetti said HE wants to re build Hialeah... Duh...think you have already been down that road, Brunetti.

mag, it'd be great if you can post the link for tomorrow's Paulick Report on Halsey Minor.

Thanks

Mag
07-31-2008, 07:47 PM
Yeah, I'll do that tomorrow.

More from Blood-Horse:

http://news.bloodhorse.com/article/46401.htm

"Kent Stirling, executive director of the Florida HPBA, and Marc Dunbar, an attorney who represents Gulfstream and Magna, each said his organization would consider plans for retuning racing to Hialeah -- with conditions.

“It has been a great surface to train on, and has a great turf course,” Stirling said. “I think many of our members would like to return there, but not if Mr. Brunetti is involved.”

dcb188
07-31-2008, 09:05 PM
Mid 1950s, about 8 or 9 yrs old, we lived on NW 79th St, not far at all from the track. I distinctly remember the flamingos in the middle of the track, something a kid would remember. But I remember it as being a beautiful place. I sure wish it could and would make a comeback.
I, too, pay attention to www.savehialeahtrack.com (http://www.savehialeahtrack.com/) Sure hope something comes of it.
Come to think of it, a jockey lived a few doors down. Charles Chaffin, if anyone has ever heard of him.

jonnielu
07-31-2008, 09:48 PM
Mid 1950s, about 8 or 9 yrs old, we lived on NW 79th St, not far at all from the track. I distinctly remember the flamingos in the middle of the track, something a kid would remember. But I remember it as being a beautiful place. I sure wish it could and would make a comeback.
I, too, pay attention to www.savehialeahtrack.com (http://www.savehialeahtrack.com/) Sure hope something comes of it.
Come to think of it, a jockey lived a few doors down. Charles Chaffin, if anyone has ever heard of him.

Hey neighbor,

I grew up on 32nd ct, 6 blocks north of 79th st. off of 32nd ave.

jdl

dcb188
07-31-2008, 10:05 PM
Hi. In the days when most trailer parks were okay, we lived at 3200 NW 79th St (Bell Haven Trailer Park), around 1955-56, then to So Calif.

price
07-31-2008, 11:58 PM
No fan of Ray here. The guy had the chance to tell us all what he thought back in his bloodhorse days. Instead he treaded lightly and toed the line. Now that he is a lowly blogger he has something to say? Too late in my opinion.

His support/borderline ass kissing of TVG back in his bloodhorse days really turned by stomach.

Mag
08-01-2008, 08:01 AM
I like Ray's blog, and usually agree with what he has to say. He's free and doesn't have to be PC anymore.

http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/a-major-minor/

joanied
08-01-2008, 06:46 PM
Yeah, I'll do that tomorrow.

More from Blood-Horse:

http://news.bloodhorse.com/article/46401.htm

"Kent Stirling, executive director of the Florida HPBA, and Marc Dunbar, an attorney who represents Gulfstream and Magna, each said his organization would consider plans for retuning racing to Hialeah -- with conditions.

“It has been a great surface to train on, and has a great turf course,” Stirling said. “I think many of our members would like to return there, but not if Mr. Brunetti is involved.”

I read the article...it's good, and pretty much lays everything out... this thing about doing it without Brunetti is a pipe dream...I can see no way he'd sell outright to Minor or anyone else...too much of an ego trip involved (IMO)...he'd want at least some of the 'glory' to call his own.
But Minor seems hell bent on this project...so who knows, maybe it'll really happen.
Looks like Frank-let's ruin another race track-Stronach will be getting in on it too...this is turning out to be very interesting.

levinmpa
08-05-2008, 09:38 AM
For those of you that have been following this story, Halsey Minor is scheduled to be on "At the Races" with Steve Byk on Wednesday, August 6 at 4:30 PM EDT, minutes after his meeting with current Hialeah Park owner John Brunetti. The show can be heard live on Sirius Satellite Radio channel 126 M-F 4 - 7 PM EDT. It is also streamed live and archived on the internet at http://www.thoroughbredracingradionetwork.com or http://www.stevebyk.com

Mag
08-08-2008, 08:47 AM
Latest from Ray Paulick:

http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/minor-optimistic-on-hialeah/

levinmpa
08-09-2008, 07:38 AM
Here's a local Miami TV Station's story about Halsey Minor's meeting with John Brunetti. Some very good footage of what Hialeah Park currently looks like, and some quotes from Halsey Minor.

http://www.local10.com/video/17115564/index.html

onefast99
08-09-2008, 08:47 AM
I read the article...it's good, and pretty much lays everything out... this thing about doing it without Brunetti is a pipe dream...I can see no way he'd sell outright to Minor or anyone else...too much of an ego trip involved (IMO)...he'd want at least some of the 'glory' to call his own.
But Minor seems hell bent on this project...so who knows, maybe it'll really happen.
Looks like Frank-let's ruin another race track-Stronach will be getting in on it too...this is turning out to be very interesting.
If you think Brunetti is just going to walk away from Hialeah for 40m I would say you are dead wrong. First of all he doesnt need the 40m, it wont change his life one bit. He would prefer to see the track come back to life. There will be a lot more twist and turns to this story as it unfolds!

joanied
08-09-2008, 08:28 PM
If you think Brunetti is just going to walk away from Hialeah for 40m I would say you are dead wrong. First of all he doesnt need the 40m, it wont change his life one bit. He would prefer to see the track come back to life. There will be a lot more twist and turns to this story as it unfolds!

Are you dishing my post, or agreeing...can't quite tell...
I beleive that's what I said...it'll never happen sans Brunetti. I beleive he does want Hialeah up & running again...but so far, he hasn't been able to get it done...so maybe if he can bite the bullet and forget the glory he'd attain in doing so by himself, he'll team up with Minor and make this happen.
And yessir...it will entail many twists & turns...as I said, this is gonna get damned interesting!!!
:) :) :)

joanied
08-09-2008, 08:39 PM
Here's a local Miami TV Station's story about Halsey Minor's meeting with John Brunetti. Some very good footage of what Hialeah Park currently looks like, and some quotes from Halsey Minor.

http://www.local10.com/video/17115564/index.html

Thanks for posting these links...man, the place is a shambles...I've seen photos, but the birdseye view was like a kick in the butt...for all the $$$ Brunetti has, you'd think regardless of wether or not Hialeah would ever re open, the man would have at least kept it up a little bit...why in hell he let it get to be such a mess is beyond me, and shame on him.
I do hope with all my heart that he'll team up with Minor and we'll see the re birth of one of the most maginificent race tracks ever built.

onefast99
08-09-2008, 09:14 PM
Are you dishing my post, or agreeing...can't quite tell...
I beleive that's what I said...it'll never happen sans Brunetti. I beleive he does want Hialeah up & running again...but so far, he hasn't been able to get it done...so maybe if he can bite the bullet and forget the glory he'd attain in doing so by himself, he'll team up with Minor and make this happen.
And yessir...it will entail many twists & turns...as I said, this is gonna get damned interesting!!!
:) :) :)
Agreeing, Brunetti will be involved in this track until he hands it off to his son(s). Hialeah will be back if both parties can agree to a deal. Minor isnt the kind of guy who just wants to see his name in the newspaper without a good reason for it. Stay tuned kids, lots more to come!

Mag
08-09-2008, 10:02 PM
Looking at the video, it looks about how I thought it would. It's really not that bad, considering. Weeds growing in the track is not a big deal. I would imagine with Mr. Minor's background, a new state-of-the-art toteboard with good graphics would be installed, so it doesn't bother me to see the old one all collapsed. Biggest thing would be how much water damage has been done to the structure. Brunetti is an idiot if he didn't do anything to prevent further structural damage once the wind blew off any part of the roof. New barns would have to be constructed but pole buildings aren't that difficult and can go up quickly. Pinnacle's new barns are nice, and airy, and they went up quickly.

It's a big job, but he Grande Dame of racing has 'good bones!'

Hopefully Brunetti will let this thing happen.

joanied
08-10-2008, 04:47 PM
Agreeing, Brunetti will be involved in this track until he hands it off to his son(s). Hialeah will be back if both parties can agree to a deal. Minor isnt the kind of guy who just wants to see his name in the newspaper without a good reason for it. Stay tuned kids, lots more to come!

OH, good....if Minor likes to see his name in print, that's fine with me...as long as it's got Hialeah attached to it :ThmbUp: Brunetti's son(s) can sure be apart of all this...carry on the Hialeah-Brunetti legacy...talk about ego...but, none of that matters...the bottom line is getting this gorgeous, historic race track up & running...
:jump:
Keep us posted, onefast...appreciate it.

joanied
08-10-2008, 05:03 PM
Looking at the video, it looks about how I thought it would. It's really not that bad, considering. Weeds growing in the track is not a big deal. I would imagine with Mr. Minor's background, a new state-of-the-art toteboard with good graphics would be installed, so it doesn't bother me to see the old one all collapsed. Biggest thing would be how much water damage has been done to the structure. Brunetti is an idiot if he didn't do anything to prevent further structural damage once the wind blew off any part of the roof. New barns would have to be constructed but pole buildings aren't that difficult and can go up quickly. Pinnacle's new barns are nice, and airy, and they went up quickly.

It's a big job, but he Grande Dame of racing has 'good bones!'

Hopefully Brunetti will let this thing happen.

A post on the first page of this thread has the save hialeah web site link...take a look.
But, if this can be done, I agree, the place does have 'good, strong bones'...a lot of the grandstand is marble, and I would think that is in great shape...good to see the fountains are still there, and the bronze statue of Citation.
I suppose most of the plam trees are gone...but looks like the big old trees down the Fitz Lane are OK...I have a photo of my ex jogging a horse under those trees...I beleive he was on a TJ Kelley horse in that shot...it was gorgoeus under those trees.
Pole barns would sure work...I beleive the barn area is the worst of it.

Probably the biggest hurdle is the neighborhood and the roads around there...
but, nothing is impossible:ThmbUp:

onefast99
08-10-2008, 07:32 PM
OH, good....if Minor likes to see his name in print, that's fine with me...as long as it's got Hialeah attached to it :ThmbUp: Brunetti's son(s) can sure be apart of all this...carry on the Hialeah-Brunetti legacy...talk about ego...but, none of that matters...the bottom line is getting this gorgeous, historic race track up & running...
:jump:
Keep us posted, onefast...appreciate it.
Minor does have the monies necessary to do this no matter what the cost, question is who will run the place? And how does this affect GP as both tracks cannot operate at the sametime! Would this also mean an end to Calder???

joanied
08-11-2008, 02:52 PM
Minor does have the monies necessary to do this no matter what the cost, question is who will run the place? And how does this affect GP as both tracks cannot operate at the sametime! Would this also mean an end to Calder???

Those are questions that will be answered as time goes by...who knows? IF this happens, one would have to assume that the guys involved would need to sort through the problems over race dates....which is one reason Hialeah closed in the first place...as far as I'm concerned, if re opening Hialeah kills GP or Calder...I don't care. If Hialeah re opens, for the most part, it would be THE track to be at in Miami... Calder is nothing special, so it would be no big deal to close it down (IMO)...GP, well, I don't know about that one...seems everyone complains about what Stronach did to it, but I don't see it as shutting it's doors either...you'd think that if Hialeah re opens, 'they' can figure out a fair way to deal with race dates, keeping both tracks running.
But, we're jumping the gun here...I think talks about race dates, Calder ect. will wait until they actually start re building Hialeah.

levinmpa
08-11-2008, 10:52 PM

Minor has stated on more than one occasion that if he brings Hialeah back, they will run their meeting during the traditional Hialeah dates, meaning January - March. He doesn't care if another track is running at that time, namely, Gulfstream Park. If you think about what Gulfstream has become, why would fans go their when they could go to a rejuvenated, fan friendly Hialeah, where they can have a seat in an open air grandstand and actually see the races. If Minor can have the purse levels at or above what GP offers, the horsemen will come. If he can keep the takeout to reasonable levels, the players will play. With Gulfstream struggling, Magna's only choice may be to move their future meetings to the less desirable, but no competition, March - April dates. It will be interesting to see how it plays out, but with Magna having alienated a lot of fans in South Florida, the time is right for Hialeah to bring the fans back to the track.

jonnielu
08-12-2008, 07:04 AM
Minor has stated on more than one occasion that if he brings Hialeah back, they will run their meeting during the traditional Hialeah dates, meaning January - March. He doesn't care if another track is running at that time, namely, Gulfstream Park. If you think about what Gulfstream has become, why would fans go their when they could go to a rejuvenated, fan friendly Hialeah, where they can have a seat in an open air grandstand and actually see the races. If Minor can have the purse levels at or above what GP offers, the horsemen will come. If he can keep the takeout to reasonable levels, the players will play. With Gulfstream struggling, Magna's only choice may be to move their future meetings to the less desirable, but no competition, March - April dates. It will be interesting to see how it plays out, but with Magna having alienated a lot of fans in South Florida, the time is right for Hialeah to bring the fans back to the track.

Minor will make Hialeah the model for bringing the show to the fan/player. It won't matter a great deal if there are not 20,000 in the seats, if there are 200,000 in front of the monitor. Hialeah will make the best place to do this, take the show to the player, Hialeah is even more valuable for this purpose.

It fits exactly for the Grande Dame to be the place where this industry turns the corner into the 21st century.

jdl

Mag
08-13-2008, 07:47 PM
I can see it now....the Grande Dame will begin the renassance(sp) of horse racing.....horse racing only. The talking heads can all shut-up, the park and the horses will do the marketing!:cool:

One track is enough for southern FL.....and it should be the Grande Dame in all her glory. Frankie go home, and take the stupid slots with you. Mindless lever-pulling/button-pushing doesn't interest intelligent folk. As for the neighborhood....hire a shuttle bus company, put people to work. The 'hood ends where Hialeah's gates begin. If it's all done right, it will spur redevelopment of that area. Judging by the response online at various sites, hotels will be needed.:jump: Get busy, Mr. Minor.