PDA

View Full Version : Paul Ader's How to Make a Million at the Track

saevena
07-19-2008, 10:31 AM
Has anyone reading this ever attempted to put Paul Ader's How to Make a Million at the Track into practice, and, if so, what were the results? Thanks to any responders.

timtam
07-20-2008, 06:41 PM
Are you talking about the long tedious method where you select F2 F3?

I actually tried SAM's automatic bets just taking 3 or 4 of my longshots

and used the due column pages as a betting guide. Its just like anything

else If you hit a long shot early it works great but playing longshots

can get you in deep mashed potatoes fast. Sure if you hit a winner you

can recoup all your losses but you have to hit the winner before the bankroll

dries up. Today there are too many other ways to get contenders without

going thru all that mumbo jumbo for a F3 over etc. The book is basically

due column wagering and although I had a pipe dream that this was going

to be the HOLY GRAIL be careful because the due column rises quickly and

before you know it your wagering $200 to hit your $20 goal.

Inglewood Flamingo
07-21-2008, 12:27 AM
TimTam's previous posts on the charts got my interest piqued so I found it online. I agree the early chapters are good but then it gets ridiculous with contradictory and hard to follow rules but the longshot due column charts still intrigue me to this day. I'd say it is a worthy read and as a sidebar the only other book that I could find that Ader wrote was The Leaf Against the Sky in 1947. Sure doesn't sound like a handicapping title to me!

Anyone know anything about this gentleman?

andicap
07-21-2008, 04:08 AM
Boy that brings back memories -- one of the first handicapping books I read, only because my local library had it. This was back in the 70s. It didn't impress me at the time, but heck, i was only a kid. Can't remember anything about it.

Read the book right after reading Sam "The Genius" Lewin's tome.
Back then the quality of handicapping books wasn't very good. Mostly conventional wisdom stuff, "gimmicks" or systems that didn't work, etc. Tom Ainslie was one of the few writing good solid handicapping books until Beyer came out. (I'm not saying Ainslie was the ONLY good author, but the one I recall.)

I think that's one reason Beyer became so popular (and he could write too.) -- horseplayers were starved for something different, something of quality.

saevena
07-21-2008, 11:44 AM
Tim Tam:

Yes, I was talking about the long, tedious method described by Ader, rather than the spot play systems. Sorry about not specifying that. Thanks for your input and the input of others.