PDA

View Full Version : Louisiana Downs Contest

jlhill
07-18-2008, 03:44 PM
As a concerned contestant I wanted to make other potential players aware of how Louisiana Downs is running their contest. They have stated in the rules they will have 5 qualifiers and then a Final contest with the top 5 finishers from each week going to the finals. The prizes for the weekly contest are supposed to be $4000 a week based on 100 players, then $20,000 for the finals. It doesn’t say anything about the finals money being reduced or not being there at all for the finals next weekend. The finals are tomorrow. We drove 6 hours one way to play in this contest which my father won, and now has to drive back to. He is supposed to be playing for $20,000 this weekend. He received $500 for winning the weekly contest and no explanation of why it wasn’t more. I recently learned that the winner of the first weeks contest received $2000 and had fewer entries. I thought that they might be placing the extra money in the finals contest, then was informed yesterday that there is no money for the Finals, only trips to Las Vegas. I asked why wouldn't it be paid out based on a % of the entries ? After a discussion with the director of racing for the track, they will not be paying out any money. I'm still not sure why but they just won't.
I just thought this should be brought to your attention. They are making this thing up as they go along. I know of two other people who are qualified and they have never been told of any elimination of prize money either. Moral of the story : Don't expect a dime of cash money if you are thinking about going to this contest. Here is another thing. They just sent out a flyer advertising their contest starting back up again next month. No mention of a cash prize reduction. Its just crazy to me when they are having the finals for the 1st contest with no money in the prize pool at all. You have been warned

skate
07-18-2008, 04:31 PM
Ok, thats too bad.

Let me say, lots of contest out there, vegas, tracks, schools etc. Many of which do not have actual cash prizes.
check ahead, thanks.

Toss_DeLoser
07-18-2008, 06:29 PM
Lone Star is having one next weekend that's free. Sam Houston has another coming up that's free. The first LSP one paid better than 10k to the winner. Wait and see what they pay this time.:lol:

Don't like LaD, don't go.

ezrabrooks
07-18-2008, 07:46 PM
I have participated in several LAD contests over the years...with no problems whatsoever. There were always well run. I checked on this year's tourneys, and really had trouble figuring out the contest rules, so did not participate. Don't know what the problems are, but can't believe there is any malfeasance on behalf of the LAD staff.

ezrabrooks
07-18-2008, 07:49 PM
Lone Star is having one next weekend that's free. Sam Houston has another coming up that's free. The first LSP one paid better than 10k to the winner. Wait and see what they pay this time.:lol:

Don't like LaD, don't go.

Hey toss... What is the deal on the LS contest this weekend.. I missed seeing anything about it..

Toss_DeLoser
07-18-2008, 10:39 PM
I stand corrected about LSP. Was told earlier would pay $1500 to win. I see now the purse is $10k. No mention what win will pay. Texas leg. says they can't charge an entry fee and pay prize money.

LSP's is next weekend. 7/26

TravisVOX
07-19-2008, 09:18 AM
Don't know what the problems are, but can't believe there is any malfeasance on behalf of the LAD staff.

Absolutely. You're 100% right.

Like with any contest posted out there in the world of handicapping events, the prize pool is based upon participation. Anyone who is in-tune with the handicapping contest circuit is aware of this. We developed a model which we felt would cater to the local and regional players as opposed to designing a full-blown event where folks could fly in from out of town, grab the money and run. Participation was moderate at best and in order to make it work, the pre-qualifier tournaments were paid out, but the final event (which is a closed contest) will have the bankroll provided and the top three going to Vegas.

When all is said and done, handicapping contests are an extremely difficult task for the track. Not only does it cost quite a bit of money to send someone to Vegas (airfare, hotel plus the NHC entry fee) but participants as a whole rarely put any additional money into the windows, which from a business perspective, makes it difficult.

Finally, I received lots of compliments and positive feedback regarding the event and the setup which was designed for those in the area. They realize the goal of these events is not the prize money (which given the current model is a secondary factor in almost any contest) as opposed to the bigger prize, a trip to Vegas!

To say folks weren't warned is false as the entry sheet and rules, which all players sign, indicates figures are based upon 100 entries.

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.

TravisVOX
07-19-2008, 09:19 AM

I am told these are free because of the Attorney General (?) saying pay-to-enter contests is now illegal, or that he's cracking down on them? Is that true?

ezrabrooks
07-19-2008, 01:48 PM
I haven't heard any thing about problems with pay to enter Contests in Texas. I really wasn't even aware of the LSP Contests. As to the Texas AG cracking down on these types of activities, it wouldn't surprise me in the least that it is true. This AG takes some pretty off the wall stances. Article in the paper last week about there being a push to allow internet wagering (Huh?) and OTB's in Texas. I have given up trying to figure out the Texas Statues with regard to wagering on horse races....so, will just sit on the side lines until they clear it all up.

jlhill
07-21-2008, 02:48 PM
Just to let eveyone know they did end up paying out money to the top finishers like they should have. We were told several times before showing up this would not happen. Good job to the people involved for doing the right thing.

NTamm1215
07-21-2008, 11:34 PM
Lone Star did remove the entry fee to their remaining qualifer and final tourney because of pressure from the AG. It began when Sam Houston was scheduled to conduct a contest on Preakness Day when the Director of Player Services at SHRP was told by the Texas Department of Public Safety that collecting money from players that isn't re-distributed 100% was illegal. The only money SHRP was scheduled to withhold was the necessary amount to pay for flights, etc for qualifying contestants.

I'm playing in the LSP qualifer on Saturday with its quirky format. Since it's free the field is supposed to be in the neighborhood of 400 but the top 75 make it to the final, which now has a total purse of 10k rather than the originally scheduled 40k.

NT

njcurveball
07-21-2008, 11:41 PM
Since it's free the field is supposed to be in the neighborhood of 400 but the top 75 make it to the final, which now has a total purse of 10k rather than the originally scheduled 40k.

NT

I may have missed something along the way, but instead of collecting $40,000 in entry fees and paying out $40,000, they are now collecting $0 in entry fees and paying out $10,000? :bang:

jlhill
07-22-2008, 11:49 AM
That is exactly what is going on. They can't collect any entry fees as passed down by the Attorney General but they are still going to pay out some money in this contest and the finals. As far as I know the Vegas trips remain unchanged.

garyscpa
07-22-2008, 03:32 PM
I'm playing in the LSP qualifer on Saturday with its quirky format. Since it's free the field is supposed to be in the neighborhood of 400 but the top 75 make it to the final, which now has a total purse of 10k rather than the originally scheduled 40k.

NT

3. Prize money for the final Qualification Tournament and the Handicapping Championship is $6,000 for first, $2,000 to second, $1,100 to third, $600 to fourth and $300 to fifth.