PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with some people?

dav4463
07-18-2008, 03:15 AM
A friend I ran into at the track asks for some handicapping advice. I show him what I have that day and practically give him the horses. All he had to do was wait for the odds to be worth a bet.

We lose the first two races we played, and he gives up and bets the newspaper pick in the next race. That's when my $49 winner, "Tate's Mandate" pops up at Lone Star Park and he gets mad at ME ! :bang:

cmoore
07-18-2008, 03:30 AM
A friend I ran into at the track asks for some handicapping advice. I show him what I have that day and practically give him the horses. All he had to do was wait for the odds to be worth a bet.

We lose the first two races we played, and he gives up and bets the newspaper pick in the next race. That's when my $49 winner, "Tate's Mandate" pops up at Lone Star Park and he gets mad at ME ! :bang:

He's to damn lazy to do the handicapping himself. He goes from your picks to the newspapers picks. Your friend sounds like many at the track.. I want winners but don't want to do the work.. Next time at least get a beer out of him before you give him your picks..Then when he gets mad at you. You can pour the beer he bought right over his head...LOL!!!!

dav4463
07-18-2008, 04:09 AM
Good idea! :D

joelouis
07-18-2008, 04:46 AM

It seems this is what is wrong with this world, nobody trust or appreicates anything anybody does for them. Its a sad sad world we live in. Watch your back my friend.:)

raybo
07-18-2008, 07:01 AM
Reminds me of a time at Lone Star. I and my handicapping partner were there and a track acquaintance asked who we liked in the next race. We gave him a 12/1 winner (we bet only superfectas so we weren't hurting ourselves by giving the info). He was ecstatic, to say the least. In the next race he asked us again, we told him our pick and that one hit too. In the next race, same scenario, our pick lost. The guy just walked off and we never saw him again. It's amazing how many idiots are in this game.

rokitman
07-18-2008, 07:08 AM

Give that guy a ride any time he wants and pay his admission for him :ThmbUp:

stuball
07-18-2008, 07:23 AM
That's why some people go to the track...to interact with
friends...LOL I stay home and don't have to put up with
that nonsense....I only go for tournaments now..when I used to go to OTB and get set up at a table, people would be looking over my shoulder and asking me what am I doing..
I would say I now work for a syndicate and if I told anyone
they would have me and them killed...

They would try to walk by when I was at the betting machine
so I thought it would be kind of cool to have a scroll message set up on my computer screen....just hit a hot key when you walk away for a minute..and a message starts 15 seconds later....
Incoming Message---Stu Bet the 4 horse---Moderate to Large Bet---Hidden Form----

Of course the 4 horse would be huge odds and would be a horse that I figured had no chance...but I quit going to the track and OTB before I ever had a chance to do it.
Must be my rotten streak that made me even think of doing it...LOL

Stuball ;) ;)

raybo
07-18-2008, 07:36 AM
That's why some people go to the track...to interact with
friends...LOL I stay home and don't have to put up with
that nonsense....I only go for tournaments now..when I used to go to OTB and get set up at a table, people would be looking over my shoulder and asking me what am I doing..
I would say I now work for a syndicate and if I told anyone
they would have me and them killed...

They would try to walk by when I was at the betting machine
so I thought it would be kind of cool to have a scroll message set up on my computer screen....just hit a hot key when you walk away for a minute..and a message starts 15 seconds later....
Incoming Message---Stu Bet the 4 horse---Moderate to Large Bet---Hidden Form----

Of course the 4 horse would be huge odds and would be a horse that I figured had no chance...but I quit going to the track and OTB before I ever had a chance to do it.
Must be my rotten streak that made me even think of doing it...LOL

Stuball ;) ;)

I no longer wager at the track, either. Just too many distractions. Wagering in the comfort and peace of my own home is a tremendous advantage. If I go to the track it's for entertainment only and I never wager while I'm there, I just watch the racing and all the idiots. Great fun to see some of the dumbness that occurs there.

rufus999
07-18-2008, 03:53 PM
If you can pick 25 to 1 longshots everyday and freely give the advice away with complete confidence, why should you care about the way he or anyone else behaves. Personally, I'd be happy to be on your end of the equation.

rufus

MONEY
07-18-2008, 04:39 PM
Here's another true story about what's wrong with some people.
One time long ago, when I was young, healthy, had hair on my head & was even taller...Now I'm depressed.
OK, here I go.
I called my brother in law and asked him to accompany me to the OTB. When he told me that he was broke I told him that I would give him some money to bet on a couple of races. When we arrived at the OTB, I let him know the bets that I was going to make & I gave him $50.00. We both hit big on the 1st race that we played. He won $4000.00 & I won $8000.00 on 2 $4000.00 tickets. (My 1st ever big payday & my 3rd largest payday ever) I didn't want to cash the tickets because I had a good income and didn't want to lose a large portion of my winnings to taxes. He had been unemployed for a while and had virtually zero income. So I asked him to cash the tickets for me, which he did for 10% of my winnings.

Money

Bennie
07-18-2008, 06:10 PM
I finally got to the point where if someone asked me who I played in a certain I go into a winded discussion on how one horse could "steal" the race with early speed, how the next was 3rd off layoff and improving numbers, another was the lone closer in the race and how a jockey got off one horse to ride another, etc.etc. etc. Never saying who I was actually playing, and found they don't ask again.:confused:

JustRalph
07-18-2008, 06:30 PM
Here's another true story about what's wrong with some people.
One time long ago, when I was young, healthy, had hair on my head & was even taller...Now I'm depressed.
OK, here I go.
I called my brother in law and asked him to accompany me to the OTB. When he told me that he was broke I told him that I would give him some money to bet on a couple of races. When we arrived at the OTB, I let him know the bets that I was going to make & I gave him $50.00. We both hit big on the 1st race that we played. He won $4000.00 & I won $8000.00 on 2 $4000.00 tickets. (My 1st ever big payday & my 3rd largest payday ever) I didn't want to cash the tickets because I had a good income and didn't want to lose a large portion of my winnings to taxes. He had been unemployed for a while and had virtually zero income. So I asked him to cash the tickets for me, which he did for 10% of my winnings.

Money

Wow!!! What a dick!!!

Imriledup
07-18-2008, 06:44 PM
I've found over the years that a lot of people want to bet their own picks anyway and they just want to know what your pick is so that if their pick stops turning for home, they'll have your pick to root AGAINST. (they might not openly root for you to lose, but silently they will be.)

dav4463
07-18-2008, 10:24 PM
If you can pick 25 to 1 longshots everyday and freely give the advice away with complete confidence, why should you care about the way he or anyone else behaves. Personally, I'd be happy to be on your end of the equation.

rufus

I wish I could pick a 25-1 every day!

Actually, the guy is an old friend. He just doesn't have the mindset to be a gambler. If he loses two or three in a row, he gets mad at the world!

I'll give him a horse, and the horse runs a great race, leads at the quarter pole and finishes dead last despite a great effort. His response will be, "that was some pick...finished last....I could have done that good! You got any more gems like that one?!"

eastie
07-18-2008, 10:34 PM
I've found over the years that a lot of people want to bet their own picks anyway and they just want to know what your pick is so that if their pick stops turning for home, they'll have your pick to root AGAINST. (they might not openly root for you to lose, but silently they will be.)

rooting against anyone is bad form. If I don't win, I hope someone made a score.

another scenario...say The little guy gives me a horse. I get shut out at the window because the teller is a mook. The horse is 14-1. A non racetrack friend says you got shut out so now you have to hope he doesn't win or you'll be sick. My thinking is. "root just as hard and hope the guy who was kind enough to give you a horse makes a score on the horse."
I can't even imagine rooting for another person to lose money. I know that someone has to lose, but I ain't rootin' for it.
We're all in this thing together. No time for hate.

cmoore
07-18-2008, 10:40 PM
I used to go to Northfield Park every Sunday years ago and play in the free contest. This guy next to me started talking to me. I hit the first race in the contest, he hit the 2nd race which was a chalk. How about we share the winnings if either of us win any money from the contest. I hesitated and didn't want to be dick and said, sounds good. We agreed on 20%. As other races went by not in the contest, he just kept running his mouth. The more he talked the more I figured he didn't have a clue about horse racing. I'm like why did I agree to share any winnings with this moron. I got lucky later in the day when my horse was put up after a DQ and I won the contest. I went every Sunday for months and already won a couple of times and now I had to give this idiot next to me 200 bucks.

Grits
07-19-2008, 11:49 AM
What a terrific line of thought!!! One I so easily agree with.

rooting against anyone is bad form. If I don't win, I hope someone made a score.

another scenario...say The little guy gives me a horse. I get shut out at the window because the teller is a mook. The horse is 14-1. A non racetrack friend says you got shut out so now you have to hope he doesn't win or you'll be sick. My thinking is. "root just as hard and hope the guy who was kind enough to give you a horse makes a score on the horse."
I can't even imagine rooting for another person to lose money. I know that someone has to lose, but I ain't rootin' for it.

cmoore
07-19-2008, 01:57 PM

Unless its the annoying guy who constantly yells at the screen. I hope he loses every damn race..LOL!!!

BlueShoe
07-19-2008, 07:43 PM
May sound cynical,but most of your racetrack associates do not want you to win unless they can too.If they are losing they want to see you lose also.Before someone says to only hang out with those that do want you to win;you might get rather lonely sticking to that.

JustRalph
07-20-2008, 12:21 AM
May sound cynical,but most of your racetrack associates do not want you to win unless they can too.If they are losing they want to see you lose also.Before someone says to only hang out with those that do want you to win;you might get rather lonely sticking to that.

You haven't been to Keeneland with Billw and Tomcat.............we all cheer for each other and so do the others who float in and out of our group.

If you can't cheer for your buddies............you need new friends.

BillW
07-20-2008, 12:28 AM
You haven't been to Keeneland with Billw and Tomcat.............we all cheer for each other and so do the others who float in and out of our group.

If you can't cheer for your buddies............you need new friends.

Hell yea, when Ralph wins, he buys a round of cokes! :lol:

eastie
07-20-2008, 02:35 AM
Unless its the annoying guy who constantly yells at the screen. I hope he loses every damn race..LOL!!!

you need those guys to keep the first time track people entertained between races. I love the program as a whip guys, the finger snapping guys, the Rastas who yell camon jockeee, the funniest is the guy who yells whoa! real loud when your number's flashing so that you think you're comin down. He makes everyone look, it's beautiful.