PDA

View Full Version : Did you ever think you would read this???

JustRalph
07-18-2008, 02:38 AM
Quiet Iraq streets leave soldiers yearning for Afghanistan

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/WORLD/meast/07/17/iraq.afghanistan.ap/art.soldieraction2.ap.jpg

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast/07/17/iraq.afghanistan.ap/index.html

BAGHDAD, Iraq (AP) -- Spc. Grover Gebhart has spent nine months at a small post on a Sunni-Shiite fault line in western Baghdad. But the 21-year-old soldier on his first tour in Iraq feels he's missing the real war -- in Afghanistan, where his brother is fighting the Taliban.

With violence in Iraq at its lowest level in four years and the war in Afghanistan at a peak, the soldiers serving at patrol station Maverick say Gebhart's view is increasingly common, especially among younger soldiers looking to prove themselves in battle.

"I've heard it a lot since I got here," said 2nd Lt. Karl Kuechenmeister, a 2007 graduate of the U.S. Military Academy at West Point who arrived in Iraq about a week ago.

Soldiers who have experienced combat stress note that it is usually young soldiers on their first tour who most want to get on the battlefield. They say it is hard to communicate the horrors of war to those who have not actually experienced it.

"These kids are just being young," said Sgt. Christopher Janis, who is only 23 but is on his third tour in Iraq. "They say they want to get into battle until they do, and then they won't want it anymore."

That soldiers are looking elsewhere for a battle is a testament to how much Iraq has changed from a year ago, when violence was at its height. Now it's the lowest in four years, thanks to the U.S. troop surge, the turn by former Sunni insurgents against al-Qaeda in Iraq, and Iraqi government crackdowns on Shiite militias.

~more at the link~

PaceAdvantage
07-18-2008, 04:25 AM
Uh oh...more bad news for Obama....

prospector
07-18-2008, 07:54 AM
lets not forget harry reid who said the war was lost....
i've always thought he was lost...

46zilzal
07-18-2008, 02:41 PM
That conflict is far from over.

Tom
07-18-2008, 03:30 PM
And far from lost.

The only thing lost for sure is Dingy Harry's marbles.

skate
07-18-2008, 05:25 PM
Welp, O'bambam could actually recover nicely from this, if he were to pick "the sloth" kerry for VP.

Since it's on record, he did vote "for the War".

JustRalph
07-18-2008, 06:33 PM

Keep Cheering for the bad guys!!!!

JustRalph
07-18-2008, 06:58 PM
Is it over? This guy thinks so

http://www.vvdailypress.com/news/baghdad_7541___article.html/ended_iraq.html

http://www.michaelyon-online.com/

dav4463
07-18-2008, 10:53 PM
President Bush is doing a good job after coming into the presidency in a no-win situation and having so many people with an irrational hatred of him.

boxcar
07-19-2008, 12:36 AM

Always knew you'd be rooting for the Islamofascists. They're losers in life, and they'll be losers in this war, too.

Boxcar

boxcar
07-19-2008, 12:45 AM
President Bush is doing a good job after coming into the presidency in a no-win situation and having so many people with an irrational hatred of him.

I've never been a big fan of Bush, but you're right. You have to give the devil his due. He stayed the course despite the pressures, the hatred, the personal attacks, the war prosecution miscalculations, the world's misgivings, etc. We may not always agree with him, but at least he has some principles that he's been unwilling to trade in for more expedient measures.

Boxcar

PaceAdvantage
07-19-2008, 09:20 PM
That conflict is far from over.How's that civil war in Iraq going lately?

JustRalph
07-20-2008, 12:18 AM
Bush does it again. The day before Obama makes his "fact finding" trip to Iraq, Bush takes the wind out of his sails by announcing that Bush will begin a faster withdrawal plan than promised. Obama can no longer traipse around the country telling everyone he will withdraw because it is the right thing to do. He has another issue taken away from him.

Boy, That Rutabaga sure is stumbling into some political victories lately.

After all is said and done, he will have won the war, disarmed Obama, kept America Terror free for 7 years and helped put McCain in office.

What a dumbass???

Actually I think McCain loses to Obama.........but it won't be Bush's fault as some have suggested

rastajenk
07-20-2008, 07:34 AM
Contrary to conventional wisdom, I hope the McCain team uses the Prez a lot after the convention. Campaigning is what he does best, and there are still a lot of Bush fans out there waiting to be courted and counted.

wonatthewire1
07-20-2008, 10:09 AM

Don't see how that is bad news for Obama - he would just focus in on something else instead.

The good news is that we can wrap it up unless the bad guys are just taking a break and regrouping. One thing that they could do is wait for the US of A to leave and then start causing problems.

Can't say that I'm that certain that the Iraqi police are that proficient - but hey they could be!

wonatthewire1
07-20-2008, 10:12 AM
Bush does it again. The day before Obama makes his "fact finding" trip to Iraq, Bush takes the wind out of his sails by announcing that Bush will begin a faster withdrawal plan than promised. Obama can no longer traipse around the country telling everyone he will withdraw because it is the right thing to do. He has another issue taken away from him.

Boy, That Rutabaga sure is stumbling into some political victories lately.

After all is said and done, he will have won the war, disarmed Obama, kept America Terror free for 7 years and helped put McCain in office.

What a dumbass???

Actually I think McCain loses to Obama.........but it won't be Bush's fault as some have suggested

Gotta agree with you there JR - the Prez will go down as one of the greatest of all time - maybe we'll put his picture on the quarter - too bad Reagan didn't get that honor a few years ago.

Now if we didn't have this war - no telling how much good would have come out of the Bush presidency!

JustRalph
07-20-2008, 02:55 PM
Gotta agree with you there JR - the Prez will go down as one of the greatest of all time - maybe we'll put his picture on the quarter - too bad Reagan didn't get that honor a few years ago.

Now if we didn't have this war - no telling how much good would have come out of the Bush presidency!

Sarcasm, huh?